Hurricane from Holland
(Registered User)
Wed Sep 26 2007 04:36 PM
Wave off Florida Should Bring Rain... Tropical Depression 13 Forms in Southwest Gulf of Mexico

Hey,
I from Holland. I like to watch hurricanes.
But why are they 2 cat. 5 storms and so many tropical storm ?

And karen could be a categorie 2. There are warm waters there.

TampaRand
(Weather Hobbyist)
Thu Sep 27 2007 12:51 AM
Re: Wave off Florida Should Bring Rain... Tropical Depression 13 Forms in Southwest Gulf of Mexico

As to your first question, I don't know. I don't know if anybody really does have a solid answer on that except to say that maybe there has been a lot of vertical shear inhibiting development of some of these. Also, several have just formed so close to land, that they didn't have a big opportunity for intensification.

Your second question: Karen, while in some warm water and has enough fuel, is facing some very large challenges with an approaching trough and a lot of shearing winds. Those winds shear the tops off the clouds and inhibit convection from firing around the Low Level Center. It will likely intensify to Category 1 strength, but then encounters 3-4 days of shear and that will knock it back down to Tropical Storm Strength and maybe eventually kill it in the Atlantic maritime. I don't think there's anything solid on it dissipating, but there is a greater chance it never re-gains hurricane status.

Note: This is NOT an official page. It is run by weather hobbyists and should not be used as a replacement for official sources. 
CFHC's main servers are currently located at Hostdime.com in Orlando, FL.
Image Server Network thanks to Mike Potts and Amazon Web Services. If you have static file hosting space that allows dns aliasing contact us to help out! Some Maps Provided by:
Great thanks to all who donated and everyone who uses the site as well. Site designed for 800x600+ resolution
When in doubt, take the word of the National Hurricane Center