saluki
(Weather Hobbyist)
Sun Oct 07 2007 10:54 AM
Crazy, wacky CMC

My questions are addressed to those with expertise in how the forecast models are formulated.

It appears the CMC once again is forecasting a major storm -- last night's run shows 94L blowing up, moving over Havana and poised to strike the southern tip of Florida in six days. I've now officially lost count of how many major hurricane landfalls this model has forecast this year.

So, I'm curious -- what is it in the CMC's methodology that leads to such aggressive forecasting? And, given how consistently prone the CMC is to overdevelopment, does this model have any credibility in the meteorological world?

The scenario laid out by the CMC for 94L certainly is plausible for early/mid-October, but there's a tendency to say, "Well, it's only the CMC."

Note: This is NOT an official page. It is run by weather hobbyists and should not be used as a replacement for official sources. 
CFHC's main servers are currently located at Hostdime.com in Orlando, FL.
Image Server Network thanks to Mike Potts and Amazon Web Services. If you have static file hosting space that allows dns aliasing contact us to help out! Some Maps Provided by:
Great thanks to all who donated and everyone who uses the site as well. Site designed for 800x600+ resolution
When in doubt, take the word of the National Hurricane Center