Ed G
(Weather Hobbyist)
Thu Oct 06 2016 05:43 AM
Boarding Up?

How far inland of Florida should people think about boarding up today?

danielwAdministrator
(Moderator)
Thu Oct 06 2016 06:02 AM
Re: Boarding Up?

With Hurricane Matthew if you have the time and resources to board up and you live Anywhere South of I-10 I would board up.
Beats having damage from not boarding up. The current track scenario is not something that occurs very often so it's hard to plan for this situation.

When in doubt, Board up. At the least, the North and East facing windows.

cieldumort
(Moderator)
Thu Oct 06 2016 06:28 AM

Orlando metro is solidly in the red wind threat level zone. Board up and during the storm take shelter in the sturdiest most interior and probably lowest level section of a well-built home if not actually relocating to a safer zone or community storm shelter, imho.

Ed G
(Weather Hobbyist)
Thu Oct 06 2016 07:42 AM

I live in Clermont and work in Lake Mary. I'm doing my best to see if I should be prudent and get out of here and put up the panels. Whattya think?

According to the weather channel, Clermont will get 50 mph winds.

- That would probably be their forecast for sustained, and would likely have been put together before the recent rapid deepening trend

Is there a link to see the threat level without the "potential" block? I live in Clermont and work in Lake Mary. I'm doing my best to see if I should be prudent and get out of here and put up the panels. Whattya think? According to the weather channel, Clermont will get 50 mph winds. Is there a link to see the threat level without the "potential" block?

-Yes! Local Hurricane Statements

Stay safe, I know that this is a stressful time. - Ciel

BTfromAZ
(Weather Hobbyist)
Thu Oct 06 2016 03:14 PM

I have a question for the group--thoughts requested. My sister lives on the barrier island in Ormond Beach. She is on a high spot--18 ft above mean high tide--and has a solid house with screwed down metal roof, hurricane shutters and/or "hurricane-proof" windows and so on. But the house next to hers is not well cared for and has a rickety 6' wooden fence that predictably is not going to survive this. I'm not sure anyone is even living in the house at this point--the former owner died--and, if so, it may be transient renters. In other words, the owner isn't going to do anything about the fence and my sister isn't likely to get permission to do anything either. There seems a good chance the fence is going to take my sister's pool screen enclosure with it when it goes or otherwise hit her house (it lies to the east). I have suggested she take it down with or without permission because the worst I can envision is a lawsuit for the value of the fence which is old and rickety.

Any thoughts or suggestions before it's too late?

Sounds like a legal question, and probably not well suited for this forum. For future posts like this, a new thread would be appreciated, as this is off topic. I wish your sister well. Please do not reply to this topic again unless you are contributing to the OP's post. Thank you. - Ciel

Ed G
(Weather Hobbyist)
Thu Oct 06 2016 07:41 PM
Re: Boarding Up? *DELETED*

Post deleted by cieldumort

OrlandoDan
(Storm Tracker)
Thu Oct 06 2016 07:50 PM

I am half boarded. Got all the north facing Windows and the largest Windows. Ran out of time for the rest but I feel 50% better now.

Ed DunhamAdministrator
(Former Meteorologist & CFHC Forum Moderator (Ed Passed Away on May 14, 2017))
Thu Oct 06 2016 10:09 PM

Well thats how I spent my day today - sometimes you just have to take time off from the site and I guess that today was my day. We live 5 miles from the coast and for about the fourth time in the last 25 years I decided to put up the plywood. I figured that if I've got it for a reason, I might as well use it - that and my good neighbor and his son gave me lots of help Its all part of staying safe or at least trying to.
ED

Ed G
(Weather Hobbyist)
Fri Oct 07 2016 07:46 AM

I bit the bullet and went home and boarded up. I actually have corrugated aluminum panels with the hardware already installed in the house (thx to our 2004 experiences). My neighbors made fun of me, but hey...I'm inside having grilled cheese sandwiches while they worry about their windows breaking

ON a side note and if anyone from Clermont happens to be reading this, I have three ridge vent caps that I no longer can use. I live on Lighthouse court. Come and grab them and get them installed. They can save your living room ceiling from collapsing. I'll be bringing them inside in a couple hours.

Stay safe!

Note: This is NOT an official page. It is run by weather hobbyists and should not be used as a replacement for official sources. 
CFHC's main servers are currently located at Hostdime.com in Orlando, FL.
Image Server Network thanks to Mike Potts and Amazon Web Services. If you have static file hosting space that allows dns aliasing contact us to help out! Some Maps Provided by:
Great thanks to all who donated and everyone who uses the site as well. Site designed for 800x600+ resolution
When in doubt, take the word of the National Hurricane Center