F
Current Radar or Satellite Image

Flhurricane.com - Central Florida Hurricane Center - Tracking Storms since 1995Hurricanes Without the Hype! Since 1995

Chill falls over the Atlantic as the official season heads towards close
Days since last H. Landfall - US: Any 211 (Idalia) , Major: 211 (Idalia) Florida - Any: 211 (Idalia) Major: 211 (Idalia)
None
COMMUNICATION
STORM DATA
CONTENT
FOLLOW US
ADS
Login to remove ads

News Talkback >> 2008 News Talkbacks

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)
Storm Hunter
Veteran Storm Chaser

Reged: Wed
Loc: Panama City Beach, Fl.
Re: Dolly Strengthening.. Hurricane Warnings Up in Texas Brownsville to Port O'Connor [Re: Clark]
      #80907 - Tue Jul 22 2008 04:24 PM Attachment (231 downloads)

wow... never seen super resolution radar from level II data on a tropical system... Going to come in handy tonight when tornados start spining up! nice eyewall starting to show up

--------------------
www.Stormhunter7.com ***see my flight into Hurricane Ike ***
Wx Data: KFLPANAM23 / CW8771
2012== 23/10/9/5 sys/strms/hurr/majh

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
typhoon_tip
Meteorologist

Re: Dolly Strengthening.. Hurricane Warnings Up in Texas Brownsville to Port O'Connor [Re: Clark]
      #80908 - Tue Jul 22 2008 04:35 PM

Quote:

No, that's an eye there alright -- recon sure confirms it in their vortex reports and microwave satellite imagery show it developing earlier today as well:

Dolly is moving along a gradient of oceanic heat content right now, avoiding a cool eddy to its south and a warm eddy to its north:

It is along these gradients where storms seem to try to intensify at a fairly rapid clip, likely due to the enhanced flux potential the gradients provide. With waters sufficiently warm to provide ample oceanic heat to the storm, the only thing that should constrain Dolly's intensification should be landfall sometime tomorrow very near Brownsville. I'd place my bets in the high-end category 2 range with a little bit of wiggle room in either direction.

Agreed, eye. This is also coming into clarity over at TPC and the IR channels rather nicely... Looks like a real attempt a better structured CDO is about to take place, as well, as there is a rather abrupt tendency to explode very cold cloud tops around the SW flank of the developing eye-wall.

ShanaTX
Storm Tracker

Reged: Mon
Loc: Texas
Re: Dolly Strengthening.. Hurricane Warnings Up in Texas Brownsville to Corpus Christi [Re: MikeC]
      #80909 - Tue Jul 22 2008 05:00 PM

Does this report mean Dolly's a hurricane? Or does someone have to actually release the 5pm advisory first?

Also... to me it looks like it's going to have to make a sharp westward turn to hit Mexico... Looking more and more like South Texas.

'shana

The NHC is the only one who can make that call but at times you can read between the lines...

Edited by Storm Cooper (Tue Jul 22 2008 05:06 PM)

Storm Hunter
Veteran Storm Chaser

Loc: Panama City Beach, Fl.
Re: Dolly Strengthening.. Hurricane Warnings Up in Texas Brownsville to Corpus Christi [Re: ShanaTX]
      #80910 - Tue Jul 22 2008 05:05 PM Attachment (226 downloads)

pressure is 986mb now... more to come in a second

Now its Hurricane Dolly... upgrade coming out now

from last vortex... recon heading home
Minimum Sea Level Pressure: 986mb (29.12 inHg)
Maximum Flight Level Temp & Pressure Altitude Outside Eye: 10°C (50°F) at a pressure alt. of 3,048m (10,000ft)
Maximum Flight Level Temp & Pressure Altitude Inside Eye: 13°C (55°F) at a pressure alt. of 3,050m (10,007ft)

Maximum Flight Level Wind: 72kts (~ 82.9mph) in the northeast quadrant at 20:29:30Z
Distance of Surface Center From Flight Center: Surface center is within 5 nautical miles of flight center.

and if i am correct.. Dolly is dropping a 1mb an hour right now?

**Side note... my homeboy Kermit is up and on his way to dolly... (i got to tour N42RF back in the spring... the only plane to hit high G's in Felix and in Hugo)*** attached is a pic i took of N42RF

Edited by Storm Hunter (Tue Jul 22 2008 05:17 PM)

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 10 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  MikeC, Ed Dunham, danielw 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating: *****
Topic views: 22886

Rate this topic

Jump to

Note: This is NOT an official page. It is run by weather hobbyists and should not be used as a replacement for official sources. 
CFHC's main servers are currently located at
Hostdime.com in Orlando, FL.
Image Server Network thanks to Mike Potts and Amazon Web Services. If you have static file hosting space that allows dns aliasing contact us to help out! Some Maps Provided by:
Great thanks to all who donated and everyone who uses the site as well. Site designed for 800x600+ resolution
When in doubt, take the word of the National Hurricane Center