F
Current Radar or Satellite Image

Flhurricane.com - Central Florida Hurricane Center - Tracking Storms since 1995Hurricanes Without the Hype! Since 1995

Chill falls over the Atlantic as the official season heads towards close
Days since last H. Landfall - US: Any 212 (Idalia) , Major: 212 (Idalia) Florida - Any: 212 (Idalia) Major: 212 (Idalia)
None
COMMUNICATION
STORM DATA
CONTENT
FOLLOW US
ADS
Login to remove ads

General Discussion >> Hurricane Ask/Tell

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
DustDuchess
Weather Watcher

Reged: Sun
Loc: Polk County Florida
Question about definition of Word "Bomb"
      #14908 - Fri Jun 04 2004 08:27 PM

I see the word "bomb" used a lot by the weather posters. Does this mean that the weather intensified. When some one uses the word to say the forecast bombed does that mean it was accurate or that it did not verify.Please explain exactly what people are talking about. Are they using the term correctly or are they making up slang as they go. This would help when reading the posts. Thanks

--------------------
Good or bad, weather is all there is.

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Ed DunhamAdministrator
Former Meteorologist & CFHC Forum Moderator (Ed Passed Away on May 14, 2017)

Loc: Melbourne, FL
Re: Question about definition of Word "Bomb"
      #14913 - Fri Jun 04 2004 08:52 PM

Well let me try to blast away at this one. When a forecast 'bombs' that means that it was a lousy forecast that did not even come close to verifying. When a cyclone 'bombs' that means that it intensified significantly over a short period of time - anything from 6 to 24 hours. The term first came into common useage up in the northeast U.S. and originally described a winter storm, i.e., a nor'easter - which was a gale center that rapidly intensified and created blizzard conditions over a large portion of the northeast - blinding snow driven by high winds that resulted from the rapid intensification of the system. So an otherwise normal run of the mill coastal storm that suddenly and rapidly intensifies is called a storm that 'bombed'.
Cheers,
ED

DustDuchess
Weather Watcher

Loc: Polk County Florida
      #14914 - Fri Jun 04 2004 08:56 PM

Thanks. I kind of knew but then would become confused about the way it was being used sometimes. Now at least I will know if I agree or not with the call.

--------------------
Good or bad, weather is all there is.

LI Phil
User

Reged: Fri
Loc: Long Island (40.7N 73.6W)
      #14915 - Fri Jun 04 2004 08:56 PM

>>>Well let me try to blast away at this one.

Ed, LOL!

Seriously, I'm as guilty as anyone for using this term, mostly because Steve & Joe B throw it around. But thanks for the info about it's origins..nor'easters. I get my fair share of those and yeah, just watch that storm currently affecting the area just south of me. If it gets out over the (relatively) warm waters (probably too far north now), it will "bomb" out and rapidly intensify.

Unless, of course, Joe B's forecast "bombs".

Cheers & Peace,

LI Phil

--------------------
2005 Forecast: 14/7/4

BUCKLE UP!

"If your topic ain't tropic, your post will be toast"

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 34 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  CFHC, Ed Dunham, Colleen A., danielw, Clark, RedingtonBeachGuy, Bloodstar, tpratch, typhoon_tip, cieldumort 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 3868

Rate this topic

Jump to

Note: This is NOT an official page. It is run by weather hobbyists and should not be used as a replacement for official sources. 
CFHC's main servers are currently located at
Hostdime.com in Orlando, FL.
Image Server Network thanks to Mike Potts and Amazon Web Services. If you have static file hosting space that allows dns aliasing contact us to help out! Some Maps Provided by:
Great thanks to all who donated and everyone who uses the site as well. Site designed for 800x600+ resolution
When in doubt, take the word of the National Hurricane Center