F
Current Radar or Satellite Image

Flhurricane.com - Central Florida Hurricane Center - Tracking Storms since 1995Hurricanes Without the Hype! Since 1995

Chill falls over the Atlantic as the official season heads towards close
Days since last H. Landfall - US: Any 211 (Idalia) , Major: 211 (Idalia) Florida - Any: 211 (Idalia) Major: 211 (Idalia)
None
COMMUNICATION
STORM DATA
CONTENT
FOLLOW US
ADS
Login to remove ads

General Discussion >> Other Weather Events

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1 | 2 | >> (show all)
Thomas Giella
User

Reged: Fri
Loc: Lakeland, FL
Florida Rainy Season & Drought
      #67326 - Sat Jun 24 2006 11:49 AM

The beginning of the Florida summer rainy season as defined by seabreeze/boundary collision induced thunderstorm activity began on June 16th, 2-3 weeks late.

Moved off-topic posts to new forum, changed title to better represent the discussion. --Clark

--------------------
Take Care,
Thomas F. Giella, KN4LF
Retired Meteorologist & Space Plasma Physicist
Lakeland, FL, USA
flycylone@tampabay.rr.com

Florida Daily Weather Discussion Blog: http://www.kn4lf.com/flwx1.htm

Edited by Clark (Sat Jun 24 2006 12:53 PM)

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
bob3d
Weather Watcher

Reged: Sat
Loc: Pasco County, Florida
Re: Bahamas and 35N 50W [Re: Thomas Giella]
      #67329 - Sat Jun 24 2006 12:22 PM

At the risk of contradicting Mr. Giella, who is a respected retired meteorologist, the inland Florida west coast had seabreeze collision-induced thundershowers that began on May 28, with lines of thunderstorms on that day, June 1 and 2. The following week dry air intruded on the state, with the next week being dominated by TS Alberto. The seabreeze collision resumed on or about June 16 as stated, but has since been affected, reduced or eliminated by other factors (high pressure ridges, dry air, and the like). Thus, I submit that the 2006 Florida rainy season began precisely on time.

Sorry I don't have captured radar pictures to attach to prove this assertation.

Edited by bob3d (Sat Jun 24 2006 12:29 PM)

scottsvb
Weather Master

Reged: Mon
Loc: fl
Re: Bahamas and 35N 50W [Re: bob3d]
      #67330 - Sat Jun 24 2006 12:30 PM

agreed it began then but dry air has precluded the development......btw who is wishcasting anything from the weak low in the bahamas..I dont see anyone doing that over the last 24 hrs...

ChessieStorm
Weather Watcher

Reged: Thu
Loc: Spring Hill, Fla. (Hernando C...
      #67331 - Sat Jun 24 2006 12:30 PM

That's true, but the rainy season this year hasn't been like previoius rainy seasons (2002-2005) where we had almost daily thunderstorms and a lot rain.

This year we've had 2-3 days of true convective t-storms from boundary collisions (June 16-20 timeframe here). Since Wednesday most of the convection has been right on the coast and pushed out the to sea. Most of this occuring after sunset.

Our true setup of the summer rainy period is a southeast wind in the morning and the west coast sea breeze colliding with that in the early to mid afternoon firing off thunderstorms that could produce prodigious rainfall amounts. That, imo, hasn't really set up yet.

Personally I wish it would get going because I like the thunderstorms and the rain.

Margie
Senior Storm Chaser

Loc: Twin Cities
      #67332 - Sat Jun 24 2006 12:34 PM

The discussion on drought and FL rainfall should probably be moved to another forum. Having said that, I'll add my own note: actually Florida is barely in a drought situation. Within the SE, much much more severe is the drought in areas that also happen to have many downed trees, wrecked by Katrina -- the MS Gulf Coast and SE LA. Drought conditions are monitored by CPC and they have a very telling "Drought Monitor" graphic on their home page. Things are so crispy crunchy there, that a downpour from a severe thunderstorm yesterday almost seemed to evaporate without any seeming effect on the ground at all.

--------------------
Katrina's Surge: http://www.wunderground.com/hurricane/Katrinas_surge_contents.asp

NewWatcher
Storm Tracker

Reged: Wed
Loc: Port Orange, FL
florida [Re: Margie]
      #67333 - Sat Jun 24 2006 12:43 PM

Everything is subjective... Whether Florida is in a technical drought or not shouldnt be an argument. We, here in Volusia County are 592 out of 800 on the Keetch-Byram Drought Index. One can always find somewhere that is dryer or wetter but it doesnt take away from what we or anyone else experiences in their particular area. According to websters... Drought is:

1 : a period of dryness especially when prolonged that causes extensive damage to crops or prevents their successful growth
2 : a prolonged or chronic shortage or lack of something expected or desired

--------------------
Pam in Volusia County

According to Colleen A ... "I AM A HURRICANE FREAK"
2007 Predictions 16/9/6

Margie
Senior Storm Chaser

Loc: Twin Cities
Re: florida [Re: NewWatcher]
      #67334 - Sat Jun 24 2006 12:58 PM

Actually it is objective, and monitored very closely by CPC. A portion of the central part of the FL peninsula is only at the first of five succeedingly more severe drought conditions: D0, Abnormally dry. A portion of the panhandle next to AL is at D1, Moderate.

However SE LA and the MS coastline are at D3, Extreme. This is a much more devastating and serious level of drought.

--------------------
Katrina's Surge: http://www.wunderground.com/hurricane/Katrinas_surge_contents.asp

scottsvb
Weather Master

Reged: Mon
Loc: fl
      #67335 - Sat Jun 24 2006 01:01 PM

Showers are starting to form near the center and pressure is down to 1010 mb.....I expect pressure to drop a couple more mb to 1007-1009mb by Sunday morning.... moisture is now availble and the upper low has moved to the SE of the system bringing a more marginal upperlevel pattern compared to just 12-24 hrs ago... So it still has a chance to be a TD as the wind fields are there..but just lacking enhanced convection...but maybe that will start changing now into tonight and winds will increase to near 25-30kt.

Thomas Giella
User

Loc: Lakeland, FL
      #67336 - Sat Jun 24 2006 01:03 PM

Hi Bob,

Yes I'm aware of the thunderstorms on May 28 and June 1-2. I did not count them though as they were induced by mid and upper level cold longwave troughing and attendant SE'ward propagating MCC's. The proper definition of the beginning of the Florida rainy season is seabreeze/boundary collision induced thunderstorms with surface to upper level high pressure ridging in the vicinity of or across the state.

As drought alleviating beneficial rainfall for Florida will probably occur in association TUTT/91L I don't see the brief drought/rainy season sub thread as off topic.

--------------------
Take Care,
Thomas F. Giella, KN4LF
Retired Meteorologist & Space Plasma Physicist
Lakeland, FL, USA
flycylone@tampabay.rr.com

Florida Daily Weather Discussion Blog: http://www.kn4lf.com/flwx1.htm

Wxwatcher2
Storm Tracker

Reged: Tue
Loc:
Re: florida [Re: Margie]
      #67337 - Sat Jun 24 2006 01:09 PM

Sure it's objective but what Pam was saying is that when you are in a drought, it's very real
to you and your plants, animals, and water table etc.

As a long time resident of Florida I can tell you that the past couple of years but especially
this year, we have not had normal weather patterns.
During the winter months, we didn't have the usual rain soaking fronts. At least not many of them.
Now that the weather is hot and humid, the rain has not happened either.

This is why we are rooting for the moisture from the Bahama's or the Gulf to come forth and
give us some rain.
I know to be careful what you wish or pray for but the SouthEast is very dry so are portions of th SW. US.

ClarkModerator
Meteorologist

Loc:
      #67340 - Sat Jun 24 2006 02:03 PM

Specific to 91L, it's not off-topic, no...but the discussion had strayed from that to more general drought and to keep the main page discussion focus on the tropics, I decided to move the general discussion over to here. It's easier (and doesn't result in as many database problems) to do a simple dump of the thread than it is to pick and choose posts, so some that may be closer to on topic likely got lumped in here. My apologies if so.

--------------------
Current Tropical Model Output Plots
(or view them on the main page for any active Atlantic storms!)

NewWatcher
Storm Tracker

Loc: Port Orange, FL
Re: florida [Re: Margie]
      #67342 - Sat Jun 24 2006 02:28 PM

Quote:

Actually it is objective

ah yes i had forgotten you are our resident spell checker, my apologies. However the rest in incorrect. We are below average for the whole year in rain and we need it. End of story.

--------------------
Pam in Volusia County

According to Colleen A ... "I AM A HURRICANE FREAK"
2007 Predictions 16/9/6

Storm Cooper
User

Reged: Sat
Loc: Panama City , FL
      #67343 - Sat Jun 24 2006 02:36 PM

http://www.fl-dof.com/fire_weather/KBDI/

--------------------
Hurricane Season 2017 13/7/1

Gainesville, FL
Unregistered

#67344 - Sat Jun 24 2006 02:41 PM

I doubt that 91L is going to bring any rain to either MS or LA, frankly (if we are trying to figure out what's relevant and what's not.)

Gainesville received about 3.7 inches of rain from Alberto, while parts of the Ocala National Forest, where there is a more severe drought received much less. Florida is a big state. Lumping it together in terms of how dry/not dry it is is not very precise or meaningful.

Randrew
Weather Guru

Loc: Stuart, Florida
Re: florida [Re: Gainesville, FL]
      #67375 - Sat Jun 24 2006 11:10 PM

So, I'll post this here. Now that I found it. East coast of Martin County, FL now just over one tenth! So 91L is the big rainmaker!
I'll wait for the next one.

ltpat228
Storm Tracker

Loc: Port Saint Lucie FL
Re: Florida [Re: NewWatcher]
      #67383 - Sun Jun 25 2006 12:48 AM

(PM oriented chat removed)

Edited by Ed Dunham (Wed May 30 2007 10:26 AM)

Multi-Decadal Signal
Weather Guru

Loc: BROWARD
Re: Florida Rainy Season & Drought [Re: Thomas Giella]
      #74813 - Wed May 16 2007 04:14 AM

Quote:

The beginning of the Florida summer rainy season as defined by seabreeze/boundary collision induced thunderstorm activity began on June 16 2006, 2-3 weeks late.

The beginning of the Florida summer rainy season as defined by seabreeze/boundary collision induced thunderstorm activity began on 14 May; in my estimation, at least in southeastern FL, a week or two early this year.

--------------------
Who you gonna' believe?
Me, or your damn lying eyes?
_Ö_ _ö_

Multi-Decadal Signal
Weather Guru

Re: Florida Rainy Season & Drought [Re: Multi-Decadal Signal]
      #74912 - Sat May 19 2007 06:49 AM

We joyfully recorded yet another TS day on Friday.
3 TS in last 5 days have materially raised the level of my lake.

On 2 of the days there were multiple storms and perhaps the rainy season will be, at the least, an average one. You must understand that this drought and 2001 drought were worst on record even though we received 40-45" of rain. The tri-county region gets ca. 55-60+" in normal years.

Forecast for coming week; isolated or scattered TS every day!

--------------------
Who you gonna' believe?
_Ö_ _ö_

TS2
Verified CFHC User

Loc: Orlando, Florida
      #74913 - Sat May 19 2007 09:26 AM

It has been as dry as a bone here in Central Florida and we were hoping Subtropical Storm Andrea would pass over Florida and give us some rain and not to mention put out some of them wildfires.

Although she let us down it is not the end of the world as Hurricane Season come ever closer there is still hope.

--------------------
Dr. Joe Smith

Substitute Teacher at University of Central Florida

GreatWeatherForums

Multi-Decadal Signal
Weather Guru

#74960 - Thu May 24 2007 09:47 AM

Quote:

The beginning of the Florida summer rainy season as defined by seabreeze/boundary collision induced thunderstorm activity began on 14 May; in my estimation, at least in southeastern FL, a week or two early this year.

I've gotta' crow! I nailed it...

On Monday, 21May07 Miami WB announced that our rainy season commenced on 14 May, a week early.

It's official, South Florida! The rainy season is finally here
By Ken Kaye
Sun-Sentinel.com
Posted May 21 2007,

The rainy season has officially started, the National Weather Service in Miami declared Monday.

Actually, it began on May 14, when there was enough instability in the atmosphere to create rainstorms most afternoons, said meteorologist Robert Molleda.

http://tinyurl.com/3bcpon

--------------------
Who you gonna' believe?
_Ö_ _ö_

Pages: 1 | 2 | >> (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 12 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  CFHC, Ed Dunham, Colleen A., danielw, Clark, RedingtonBeachGuy, SkeetoBite, Bloodstar, tpratch, typhoon_tip, cieldumort 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 18292

Rate this topic

Jump to

Note: This is NOT an official page. It is run by weather hobbyists and should not be used as a replacement for official sources. 
CFHC's main servers are currently located at
Hostdime.com in Orlando, FL.
Image Server Network thanks to Mike Potts and Amazon Web Services. If you have static file hosting space that allows dns aliasing contact us to help out! Some Maps Provided by:
Great thanks to all who donated and everyone who uses the site as well. Site designed for 800x600+ resolution
When in doubt, take the word of the National Hurricane Center