F
Current Radar or Satellite Image

Flhurricane.com - Central Florida Hurricane Center - Tracking Storms since 1995Hurricanes Without the Hype! Since 1995

Chill falls over the Atlantic as the official season heads towards close
Days since last H. Landfall - US: Any 211 (Idalia) , Major: 211 (Idalia) Florida - Any: 211 (Idalia) Major: 211 (Idalia)
None
COMMUNICATION
STORM DATA
CONTENT
FOLLOW US
ADS
Login to remove ads

General Discussion >> Other Weather Events

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
rmbjoe1954
Weather Master

Reged: Tue
Loc: Port Saint Lucie, Florida, USA
Florida rains
      #79837 - Fri May 23 2008 08:35 AM

As a side note, it appears the rainy season is beginning on schedule in Florida. the drought has taken a toll with Lake Okeechobee at 9.75 feet filled.

--------------------
________2023 Forecast: 20/10/5________

There is little chance that meteorologists can solve the mysteries of weather until they gain an understanding of the mutual attraction of rain and weekends. ~Arnot Sheppard

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Multi-Decadal Signal
Weather Guru

Reged: Thu
Loc: BROWARD
Re: Florida rains [Re: rmbjoe1954]
      #79841 - Fri May 23 2008 03:34 PM

You beat me to it!

So. FL Rainy Season will be reported
as having commenced on this date;
23 May '08.
G-d knows, it couldn't have come
soon enough...

--------------------
Who you gonna' believe?
Me, or your damn lying eyes?
_Ö_ _ö_

Multi-Decadal Signal
Weather Guru

Loc: BROWARD
Re: Florida rains [Re: Multi-Decadal Signal]
      #80068 - Mon Jun 09 2008 05:04 AM

My May 23 prediction for start of rainy season was dead
wrong. 2 1/2 weeks later and still not started.

Can't win um All...:o:

--------------------
Who you gonna' believe?
Me, or your damn lying eyes?
_Ö_ _ö_

Edited by Multi-Decadal Signal (Mon Jun 09 2008 05:05 AM)

DarleneCane
Verified CFHC User

Reged: Sat
Loc: Miami Beach, FL
Re: Florida rains [Re: Multi-Decadal Signal]
      #80070 - Mon Jun 09 2008 10:14 AM

Has not been totally dry. Depends on where you are in Florida.
Rained several times this week. Everything i guess is about location.

Ed DunhamAdministrator
Former Meteorologist & CFHC Forum Moderator (Ed Passed Away on May 14, 2017)

Reged: Sun
Loc: Melbourne, FL
Re: Florida rains [Re: DarleneCane]
      #80071 - Mon Jun 09 2008 03:11 PM

Indeed the rainy season in Florida does depend on location, however it has been my experience that in east central and central Florida the average start of the season is usually around June 10th. Based on the drought index for central and north Florida we certainly need the season to start on time this year - and its beginning to look like its about to get underway - sure hope so.
ED

doug
Weather Analyst

Reged: Mon
Loc: parrish,fl
Re: Florida rains [Re: Ed Dunham]
      #80072 - Mon Jun 09 2008 03:49 PM

Rainy season has been creeping up the peninsula for the last two weeks or so. I work in Ft. Myers and daily rain began about 10 days ago. I weekend at my home in Parrish and the daily rains did not start until Friday the 6th.
Today the 9th looks promising over a large coverage area thanks to the ULL crossing the southern peninsuala today. More tomorrow too because of this same system.

--------------------
doug

rmbjoe1954
Weather Master

Reged: Tue
Loc: Port Saint Lucie, Florida, USA
Re: Florida rains [Re: doug]
      #80073 - Mon Jun 09 2008 04:31 PM

We here is east-central Florida surely appreciate it when the westerly winds blow the Lake O storms over our region. I hope this will continue as it should for this time of year. I nevertheless appreciate not having to mow the lawn that often- but change will check in soon enough, i hope.

--------------------
________2023 Forecast: 20/10/5________

There is little chance that meteorologists can solve the mysteries of weather until they gain an understanding of the mutual attraction of rain and weekends. ~Arnot Sheppard

StrmTrckrMiami
Weather Guru

Loc: Manchester, NH
Re: Florida rains [Re: rmbjoe1954]
      #80074 - Mon Jun 09 2008 07:40 PM

As far as the past few days go in Lee County, Florida where I currently live, the following severe weather has occurred:

Yesterday, June 8th 2008 at around 4:30pm, EST, we got very ominous clouds in Lee County. The clouds were remarkable, we had several cumulonimbus clouds form, and the wind picked up very quickly. I saw lightning strike very close by my trailer park, and so I went inside to stay away from anything that was already flying around. As I opened my door, I saw a funnel cloud approaching and my initial instinct was "Oh **** " and I ran for cover inside. I stayed away from windows and such, and then BOOM, the whole trailer park lost power. The storm came and went so quickly, and it was not even that bad from what I thought it would be. It was not until later that night, when power was restored we realized that it was a tornado. Luckily, I got some before and as the tornado came photos. I'll upload them. Today it was confirmed by the National Weather Service that we did indeed have a tornado here in North Fort Myers. It was a F-1 tornado. Damage consists of shingles flown off of roofs, and trees down. After the storm, we thought it was over for the night, but it was not. Another storm approached us in Lee County, throwing more rain and storms upon us. It consisted as the night went on.

Today, June 9th 2008 at around 4:45pm, I was just coming off the bus to go to a local restaurant buffet to treat my fiancee to dinner, and noticed yet again, Remarkable cloud formation of cumulonimbus and alto stratus clouds forming. I knew that was not a good sign, and the sky was getting darker and darker each minute, and so I booked it into the restaurant. As we waited in the restaurant, and started to eat our dinner, we took a glance outside to see if anything had changed, and the first words out of my fiancee's mouth were, "I have never seen the sky so dark before. The last time the sky was like that was right before Hurricane Andrew hit Miami." Everyone began to get scared and nervous as they watched the wind pick up and the storm starting to head tword us. I knew it was going to be bad when I saw the American Flag flying in the opposite direction then it should be flying in the wind. People at nearby restaurants by us started throwing the trash in the trash can, and then as one guy stuffed the trash in the can, he booked it just in time. Lightning struck the flag pole and caught on fire. As the EMS arrived, the storm hit its worst possible. We were all inside the restaurant praying that we would live through this. The wind picked up to an astonishing 75 mph, and outside reminded me of a tropical storm. The rain was coming down so hard, and the wind was going so strong that it pushed the rain into the windows at immaculate speeds. The things that was going through everyone's head was "tornado preparation" and the restaurant was completely quiet. We all watched as the storm hit us, and caused several problems, between traffic being jammed to people being afraid to go outside, to lightning striking at a rate of 10 per second or more, it was not a very pretty scene. At around 6:30pm, everything started to calm, and we called a cab to leave. However, there was still rain and lightning, but not as frequent. We got home to find that water had gotten into our house, and our dog was petrified to the point where he was hiding in the cabinets.

I came home and found that our phone line and cable line was down, which did not surprise me at all, lucky we still had internet. I'm beginning to get very scared for what the hurricane season will hold this year for us. My huntch is the weather is only going to get worst.

http://www.nbc-2.com/articles/readarticle.asp?articleid=19717&z=3
http://www.nbc-2.com/Articles/readweatherarticle.asp?articleid=19729&z=29
http://www.nbc-2.com/Weather/VideoForecast.shtml (Click on the first alert weather at 4pm)

Here are photos:

I will attach photos, and some videos of the lighning. As they are too big to post here.

MichaelA
Weather Analyst

Loc: Pinellas Park, FL
Re: Florida rains [Re: doug]
      #80076 - Tue Jun 10 2008 12:41 PM

That ULL is now centered over north central FL near Crystal River. It has meandered up the peninsula and certainly has enhanced the T-storm activity. We certainly can't deny that the rain is needed, but the potential for severe weather will exist throughout the summer. Hopefully, we'll see a consistent rainy season this year for a change.

--------------------
Michael

PWS

doug
Weather Analyst

Loc: parrish,fl
Re: Area of Interest - East of Southern Windward Islands [Re: rmbjoe1954]
      #80079 - Tue Jun 10 2008 01:34 PM

The ULL over Florida is pulling out to the NE and a surface trough is exiting off the western GOM coast.
This could serve to pull the entire unsettled area in the W. Carribean northward, as I believe the current motion indicates. It is an elongated wave, and the Tropical Discussion indicated it was moving westward. That may be so, but the moisture with it is definitely pulling north. I have seen this pattern before about this time of year, more than once, and it has resulted in training tropical rains along and over the peninsula of Florida, with huge accumulations. We need the rain to break a two year drought.

(Post was moved to the appropriate on-going thread. Remember the current Storm Forum topic deals with the wave east of the Windwards. Trying to avoid mixing topics if possible.)

Edited by Ed Dunham (Tue Jun 10 2008 02:18 PM)

MichaelA
Weather Analyst

Loc: Pinellas Park, FL
Re: Area of Interest - East of Southern Windward Islands [Re: rmbjoe1954]
      #80080 - Tue Jun 10 2008 01:49 PM

Yes, I see that moisture pulling northward. If FL gets into a SWesterly, very moist air flow, then we will get some persistent, heavy rainfall especially along the Gulf coast. We'll take the rain from where ever it comes these days.

(See comments for above post.)

Edited by Ed Dunham (Tue Jun 10 2008 02:22 PM)

Beach
Weather Guru

Reged: Wed
Loc: Cocoa Beach/Banana River
Brewing in the SE [Re: rmbjoe1954]
      #80096 - Wed Jun 11 2008 06:39 PM

Check it out...

http://www.ssd.noaa.gov/goes/east/nwatl/loop-wv.html

Florida is in the center of the 'ol squeeze play.
There is a HIGH to the East of Florida, several HIGHS to the North and North West.
The moisture looks like it is being boxed in around FL driving the Humidity soaring. We may get some good rain after all. :-)

(Post moved to the appropriate Forum. Please do not post off-topic material on the Main Page News Talkback article.)

Edited by Ed Dunham (Fri Jun 13 2008 12:06 PM)

LoisCane
Veteran Storm Chaser

Reged: Fri
Loc: South Florida
Re: Brewing in the SE [Re: rmbjoe1954]
      #80101 - Thu Jun 12 2008 04:29 PM

Miami and most of South Florida has the Afternoon Thunderstorms enhanced by the current energy from the ULL I imagine.. Heavy rolling thunder. Imagine if something did develop a path up towards the Sunny State would definitely look possible. A big IF...

(Post moved to the appropriate Forum. Please do not post off-topic material on the Main Page News Talkback article. Please pay attention to what you are posting and where you are posting it.)

Edited by Ed Dunham (Fri Jun 13 2008 12:13 PM)

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 37 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  CFHC, Ed Dunham, Colleen A., danielw, Clark, RedingtonBeachGuy, SkeetoBite, Bloodstar, tpratch, typhoon_tip, cieldumort 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 10020

Rate this topic

Jump to

Note: This is NOT an official page. It is run by weather hobbyists and should not be used as a replacement for official sources. 
CFHC's main servers are currently located at
Hostdime.com in Orlando, FL.
Image Server Network thanks to Mike Potts and Amazon Web Services. If you have static file hosting space that allows dns aliasing contact us to help out! Some Maps Provided by:
Great thanks to all who donated and everyone who uses the site as well. Site designed for 800x600+ resolution
When in doubt, take the word of the National Hurricane Center