F
Current Radar or Satellite Image

Flhurricane.com - Central Florida Hurricane Center - Tracking Storms since 1995Hurricanes Without the Hype! Since 1995

Chill falls over the Atlantic as the official season heads towards close
Days since last H. Landfall - US: Any 231 (Idalia) , Major: 231 (Idalia) Florida - Any: 231 (Idalia) Major: 231 (Idalia)
None
COMMUNICATION
STORM DATA
CONTENT
FOLLOW US
ADS
Login to remove ads

General Discussion >> Disaster Forum

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | >> (show all)
MikeCAdministrator
Admin

Reged: Sun
Loc: Orlando, FL
Re: Katrina Domino Effect [Re: damejune2]
      #53156 - Wed Aug 31 2005 10:51 PM

Interesting article about what's going on with the oil rigs in the gulf

http://www.theoildrum.com/story/2005/8/31/83553/8973#more

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Girlnascar
Weather Watcher

Reged: Tue
Loc: Orlando Florida USA
      #53158 - Wed Aug 31 2005 10:58 PM

Heard Bill O'Reilly tonight say something about the US should ask the Saudis to lower what they are charging us per barrel which is $70. Because it only costs the Saudis $4 per barrell to process it!

--------------------
28.5N 81.2W

Chesapeake Phil
Verified CFHC User

Reged: Thu
Loc: Betterton, MD
      #53160 - Wed Aug 31 2005 10:59 PM

Quote:

I wonder....with the gas prices going up, the price per barrel of oil going up...who stands to gain from that? Obviously we as the consumer don't, but what about shareholders/stockholders of companies (exxon,mobile,amoco, etc...) don't they get a big chunk of change in their pocket? I am novice when it comes to gas and stocks, etc...so i am just wondering.....maybe some of you know. Like for example - who is in charge of raising the price per barrel? Why are they allowed to go so high as to make us have to pay over 3.00 a gallon?? Any ideas?? Hell, when they reported it on some of the news channels, they talked with a smirk...know what i mean? They seemed to have restrained jubilation about oil being over 70.00 a barrel and a gallon of gas maybe costing 3.00 or more. What in the hell??

I can't answer a lot of your questions, but the US market price of a barrel of crude oil actually FELL slightly today on word that the US Government is taking steps to increase supply. The problem now is a) refining the oil and b) distributing the gasoline. We are not on the verge of running out of oil. The market price of crude would have continued to skyrocket today if that was the case. The worries now are keeping up with the demand for gasoline (exacerbated by panicked runs on gas in certain areas) while having fewer refineries to work with and fewer ways to transport the gasoline. That's why, oddly, the price of crude oil could go down again tomorrow, while the wholesale price of a gallon of gas could go up.

The good news is that at least one of those major pipelines (someone posted a link earlier) is at least beginning to start back up, albeit at a lower-than-normal capacity.

LI Phil
User

Reged: Fri
Loc: Long Island (40.7N 73.6W)
Re: Katrina Domino Effect [Re: Girlnascar]
      #53175 - Thu Sep 01 2005 12:06 AM

Quote:

Heard Bill O'Reilly tonight say something about the US should ask the Saudis to lower what they are charging us per barrel which is $70. Because it only costs the Saudis $4 per barrell to process it!

i didn't watch mr oriley tonite, but i doubt that those numbers are correct...

oil is TRADING at $70/barrell...i don't think that's what the saudi's are CHARGING the us for theirs...the $4 per barrell figure also strikes me as quite low...

perhaps "oiltrader" can enlighten us

--------------------
2005 Forecast: 14/7/4

BUCKLE UP!

"If your topic ain't tropic, your post will be toast"

mojorox
Weather Watcher

Reged: Mon
Loc: Orlando
Re: Katrina Domino Effect [Re: MikeC]
      #53182 - Thu Sep 01 2005 12:41 AM

Well, I am an avid believer that we are almost at peak oil. There is little spare capacity available anywhere. If the post at the oil drum site is correct I don't see prices going down anytime soon. I am worried about how minimum wage people are going to afford to get to work, how prices for food are going to rise if truckers have to pay more for their fuel, and the loss of a big port in this region of the country.
Yes, I am afraid of a big domino effect if the gov does not get some kind of handle on this immediate problem real soon.

laureinfl
Unregistered

Re: Katrina Domino Effect [Re: Londovir]
      #53195 - Thu Sep 01 2005 06:08 AM

Agree, agree, agree! I, too, am wondering 1) why fines are not being imposed immediately for this instant price hike, and 2) why, oh why, are we sent into an immediate shortage as soon as this whole thing unfolds? Are we really all flying by the seat of our pants in this country when it comes to how much gasoline is available to use at any given moment? It seems to me the shortage started before that storm even made it to the oil rigs...

THROWIN

Reged: Wed
      #53197 - Thu Sep 01 2005 06:30 AM

I'm hearing that the problem with our gasolene is the lack of refineries. The United States has not built a new one in 20 years! These refineries are breaking down. Is this true?
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/9118331/

Edited by THROWIN (Thu Sep 01 2005 06:44 AM)

Margie
Senior Storm Chaser

Loc: Twin Cities
Re: Katrina Domino Effect [Re: THROWIN]
      #53199 - Thu Sep 01 2005 07:33 AM

Here is the entire satellite photo database.

http://alt.ngs.noaa.gov/katrina/KATRINA0000.HTM

It appers incomplete and put together hurriedly. The boxes are not placed exactly over the land they correspond to. Also the names on each are mislabeled (the Pascagoula one is actually points east; Ocean Springs is actually Pascagoula and Gautier). Many of the coastal areas (such as the portion of Ocean Springs south of 90 at the bay) were not photographed at all. Also the 2nd level zoom in maps are not geographically correct (Bay Bay Biloxi missing from the map) but if you know the area you can figure it out).

Looks like either a first pass, or they didn't have the resources to do as many as they normally did for Ivan or Dennis.

Everything on the coast west of Bay St Louis bridge (which is also gone, as are all the Hwy 90 bridges along the coast), is either slabs with no debris, or completely taken apart debris (piles of wood), including back bay and Jordan River area of BSL. SW of Waveland, continuing along the coast, clearly the area of strongest outflow of the surge, caused by the strong southern edge of the eye as it passed over. All the debris generated by the NW and W portions of the eye was sucked out. Deep east-west gouges were left on the shore with strips of sandbars piled up for 1/4 mile offshore.

--------------------
Katrina's Surge: http://www.wunderground.com/hurricane/Katrinas_surge_contents.asp

Edited by Margie (Thu Sep 01 2005 07:39 AM)

Sheeper
Weather Hobbyist

Reged: Wed
Loc: Vero Beach, FL
Re: Katrina Domino Effect [Re: weatherwatcher2]
      #53205 - Thu Sep 01 2005 08:12 AM

one of the reasons i started to volunteer with the Red Cross is EXACTLY because most of the donations goes where it's needed. The Red Cross consistently gets rated (by congress and consumer reports and other watchdog groups) as being one of the top 3 or 4 efficient relief organizations. The key thing when donating is to mark your donation for a specific purpose. For example make the check out to: American Red Cross Hurricane Katrina Relief. Or you can mark your donation for the general disaster fund. If you just make a donation to the Red Cross without anything specific....well yes there are operating expenses and every dime for the Red Cross comes from donations of the american people. they are not funded by government or tax dollars.

--------------------
Emergency Management Consultant & Trainer

Ed in Va
Weather Master

Loc:
Re: Katrina Domino Effect [Re: Sheeper]
      #53212 - Thu Sep 01 2005 08:57 AM

Not sure where to post this, but a couple of administrative issues. The NRL map at the top has
not been updated since Tuesday. Also, the spaghetti models link on the main page is gone.

--------------------
Survived Carol and Edna '54 in Maine. Guess this kind of dates me!

Katie
Weather Guru

Loc: Winter Haven, FL
Re: Katrina Domino Effect [Re: Ed in Va]
      #53218 - Thu Sep 01 2005 09:38 AM

Phil, I think you need to just come down here anyway regardless if I post in the right place or not!

Margie - I couldn't get that link to work for me.

I will have to stop and get gas today after work...I am not looking forward to it. I think I need to dust off that bike and start taking it to work.

John C
Unregistered

Re: Katrina Domino Effect [Re: VandyBrad]
      #53220 - Thu Sep 01 2005 09:55 AM

Correct me if I am wrong, but I believe NASACAR uses leaded fuel, which you cannot buy at a gas station.

Katie
Weather Guru

Loc: Winter Haven, FL
avitar [Re: ]
      #53228 - Thu Sep 01 2005 10:50 AM

can someone please help me change my freakin' aviatar??? I hate posting it on here but I have tried it a million times over the past few months and I am ready to give up. shoot me a PM if you can help.

AmateurJohn
Weather Watcher

Loc: Highlands County, FL
      #53242 - Thu Sep 01 2005 11:31 AM

Reporting in from Lake Placid, FL. Just got in from running a few errands. One of the benefits of living in a small town is that just about everything can be done within walking distance of a central point in town.

Gas prices at the 3 stations I passed were 2.759/gal. at the Citgo on CR 621, 2.819/gal. at the Gate on US 27, and 2.899/gal. at the Shell on 27. All prices are for unleaded regular. There were no significant lines at any of the 3 stations. I didn't go into them, so I can't say if all grades were available. There was a tanker truck at the Gate station when I drove by. I assume it was there with a delivery. Prices at all 3 yesterday morning were right around 2.659/gal.

Ryan
Storm Tracker

Loc: Long Island, NY / Stuart, FL
Re: Katrina Domino Effect [Re: AmateurJohn]
      #53245 - Thu Sep 01 2005 11:38 AM

Katrina will effect gas and transportation al over the country, sporting events(superdome damaged and thousands of people in the astrodome), health of those in the water, west nile breakouts, and more

--------------------
2006 Atlantic Season Summary:
Bad, But Not AS Bad.

Life's a Storm, Watch Your Back

DebbiePSL
Weather Guru

Loc: Saint Marys Georgia
Re: Katrina Domino Effect [Re: AmateurJohn]
      #53247 - Thu Sep 01 2005 11:41 AM

Here in Port St Lucie most stations are 2.97 for regular and I saw a few, Mobil and Circle K was 2.89 It was 2.69 yesterday. No lines here so maybe the panic hasn't started here.

Littlebit
Weather Watcher

Loc: Plant City, FL
Re: Katrina Domino Effect [Re: DebbiePSL]
      #53252 - Thu Sep 01 2005 11:48 AM

No panic or lines here in Plant CIty. Gas prices are averaging from $2.79 to $2.89 per gallon.

Sadie
Weather Watcher

Loc: Arcadia, FL
Re: Katrina Domino Effect [Re: Littlebit]
      #53256 - Thu Sep 01 2005 12:00 PM

Bottom line.... gas is going to be expensive. It isn't easy, but we adjust as best we can. What concerns me a lot more is the fact that my power company (FPL) is calling for voluntary conservation from it's customers. And saying if we don't cut back, rolling black outs are a definate possibility!!

--------------------
"...Grandmother the Earth. That power is here all the time. It is continuous, and nobody controls it." Wallace Black Elk, Lakota

Girlnascar
Weather Watcher

Loc: Orlando Florida USA
Re: Katrina Domino Effect [Re: ]
      #53258 - Thu Sep 01 2005 12:03 PM

Yes you are correct John, Nascar car uses Leaded Racing Fuel, no longer sold at the pumps. Used to be a station in Sanford that sold it but that was years ago. Again I don't represent Nascar in anyway, but an avid fan. I have seen Nascar do many special things for their communities and in times of Crisis. I am sure we can count on the Nascar Community for a lot of money, help and anything else. They are low key sometimes with their efforts but I assure you whatever they can do will be done, whatever that might turn out to be.

--------------------
28.5N 81.2W

Atlanta
Unregistered

Re: Katrina Domino Effect [Re: Littlebit]
      #53259 - Thu Sep 01 2005 12:06 PM

The gas prices in Georgia are at 3.29 for reg - 3.599 for prem at the average station - there are some cheaper but by the time you drive there you have burned what you would save.

I have been thru many hurricanes when I lived in Florida (Camille, Fredrick, Eloise(lost everything and had a 6 week old), Opal) after Camille the gas went up then went down then was not available. The difference was we did not have news media creating frenzies.

It is time to hold the media accountable ----

Margie - I am so glad your brother is safe, we still have missing in several of the coastal cities(Gulf Port, Biloxi and Slidell) and I am not hopeful.

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | >> (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 1 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  CFHC, Ed Dunham, Colleen A., danielw, Clark, RedingtonBeachGuy, Bloodstar, tpratch, typhoon_tip, cieldumort 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 24884

Rate this topic

Jump to

Note: This is NOT an official page. It is run by weather hobbyists and should not be used as a replacement for official sources. 
CFHC's main servers are currently located at
Hostdime.com in Orlando, FL.
Image Server Network thanks to Mike Potts and Amazon Web Services. If you have static file hosting space that allows dns aliasing contact us to help out! Some Maps Provided by:
Great thanks to all who donated and everyone who uses the site as well. Site designed for 800x600+ resolution
When in doubt, take the word of the National Hurricane Center