F
Current Radar or Satellite Image

Flhurricane.com - Central Florida Hurricane Center - Tracking Storms since 1995Hurricanes Without the Hype! Since 1995

Chill falls over the Atlantic as the official season heads towards close
Days since last H. Landfall - US: Any 233 (Idalia) , Major: 233 (Idalia) Florida - Any: 233 (Idalia) Major: 233 (Idalia)
None
COMMUNICATION
STORM DATA
CONTENT
FOLLOW US
ADS
Login to remove ads

Off-Topic >> Everything and Nothing

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
curious
Unregistered

NHC site?
      #67930 - Tue Jul 11 2006 03:47 PM

can someone please tell me or direct me to a site that shows the sea level of Tampa Bay? i was told it is below sea level. Thank You in advance, Curious

parts of the tampa metro area are low enough to be impacted by surge. it isn't in a fishbowl like new orleans, though. whoever told you that has the wrong idea. -HF

Edited by HanKFranK (Tue Jul 11 2006 05:06 PM)

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Margie
Senior Storm Chaser

Reged: Fri
Loc: Twin Cities
Re: NHC site? [Re: curious]
      #67932 - Tue Jul 11 2006 04:01 PM

Quote:

can someone please tell me or direct me to a site that shows the sea level of Tampa Bay? i was told it is below sea level. Thank You in advance, Curious

Topozone.com shows elevation information for the US.

--------------------
Katrina's Surge: http://www.wunderground.com/hurricane/Katrinas_surge_contents.asp

Fletch
Weather Guru

Reged: Mon
Loc: Ft. Lauderdale, Florida
      #67933 - Tue Jul 11 2006 04:38 PM

The city of Tampa is approx 50ft above sea level.

--------------------
Irwin M. Fletcher

elvinp

Reged: Sat
Loc: Tampa, FL
Re: NHC site? [Re: Fletch]
      #67935 - Tue Jul 11 2006 05:20 PM

Having lived in Tampa for 50 plus years, I can tell you that 50 feet above sea level is only found in the northernmost parts of Tampa near the University of South Florida. The vast majority of Tampa is in the 4-18 foot range. The majority of the City Business District is in the Level 2-3 Evac area. We also have miles of houses next to the bays and the Hillsborough river. There are no houses below sea level, but we have numerous areas where 5-8 inches of rain will cause fresh water flooding.

--------------------
ELVIN

ShanaTX
Storm Tracker

Reged: Mon
Loc: Texas
      #67943 - Tue Jul 11 2006 07:57 PM

Quote:

Technically, wouldn't *all* of Tampa Bay be *at* sea level? Tampa FL on the other hand....

Anyway ... here's hoping we get some rain this weekend from the GOM...

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 6 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  CFHC, Colleen A., danielw, RedingtonBeachGuy, Bloodstar, tpratch, cieldumort 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 3984

Rate this topic

Jump to

Note: This is NOT an official page. It is run by weather hobbyists and should not be used as a replacement for official sources. 
CFHC's main servers are currently located at
Hostdime.com in Orlando, FL.
Image Server Network thanks to Mike Potts and Amazon Web Services. If you have static file hosting space that allows dns aliasing contact us to help out! Some Maps Provided by:
Great thanks to all who donated and everyone who uses the site as well. Site designed for 800x600+ resolution
When in doubt, take the word of the National Hurricane Center