F
Current Radar or Satellite Image

Flhurricane.com - Central Florida Hurricane Center - Tracking Storms since 1995Hurricanes Without the Hype! Since 1995

Chill falls over the Atlantic as the official season heads towards close
Days since last H. Landfall - US: Any 211 (Idalia) , Major: 211 (Idalia) Florida - Any: 211 (Idalia) Major: 211 (Idalia)
None
COMMUNICATION
STORM DATA
CONTENT
FOLLOW US
ADS
Login to remove ads

General Discussion >> Hurricane History

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | >> (show all)
Lysis
User

Reged: Thu
Loc: Hong Kong
Hurricane Charley Movie Download (must see)
      #35014 - Wed Mar 23 2005 01:20 PM

The wait is over:

mike c edit: Bittorent link please use this instead of the direct link if you know how
http://flhurricane.com/torrent/HurricaneCharleyDocumentaryComplete.wmv.torrent
Direct Link:
http://flhurricane.com/mcelroy/

The 344 mb complete version is the ideal one, so if you have a fast enough internet connection that is the one you want.

Edited by MikeC (Wed Mar 23 2005 02:10 PM)

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
MikeCAdministrator
Admin

Reged: Sun
Loc: Orlando, FL
Re: Hurricane Charley Movie Download (must see) [Re: Lysis]
      #35016 - Wed Mar 23 2005 02:14 PM

Note PLEASE use bittorrent for this, you can do a google search, it's a bit large. Flhurricane is seeding it. Otherwise you can download the parts individually.

Torrent link fixed as of 3:39PM EDT

You can download a bittorrent client called torrentstorm here

install and run, use File->Import Torrent File, then put the following in below:
http://flhurricane.com/torrent/HurricaneCharleyDocumentaryComplete.wmv.torrent

Then save a location to store the file, when it is done downloading you can launch the video file in media player.

Make sure you click on the file and hit the "play" button for it to start downloading. This will help distribute the load of the file and allow you to help share it for others and keep it from killing the flhurricane server.

Edited by MikeC (Wed Mar 23 2005 03:57 PM)

Lysis
User

Re: Hurricane Charley Movie Download (must see) [Re: MikeC]
      #35018 - Wed Mar 23 2005 04:22 PM

So what did you think Mike?

--------------------
cheers

MikeCAdministrator
Admin

Loc: Orlando, FL
      #35022 - Wed Mar 23 2005 07:42 PM

Excellent, I was at work earilier and wasn't able to view much of it. I

The part during the storm was very interesting, it was slow at the start, but after a bit you couldn't stop watching. The girl obviously was scared, but I'm sure everyone there was at times, including you. It certainly looks as if you prepared for maybe a cat 2, and it surprised you all when it came in as a cat 4. The eye, wow. Not many people get to live though that.

Thanks, the video will remain up and I'll mention it again in future articles.

Thanks Jeff, good job and thanks for sharing. I'm glad everyone there made it through ok.

HanKFranK
User

Reged: Mon
Loc: Graniteville, SC
      #35023 - Wed Mar 23 2005 07:46 PM

lysis, nice. you captured the experience very well. i've had a lesser version at night.. the effects of the hurricane aren't quite as scary, but a lot more visceral by day.
i have a little commentary: the sequences are a little disconnected, but it's easy to gather from your film how quickly Charley's core swept by. if you've got any editing ahead of you, you might want to add more time captions... if such info is available.
the satelite stills could be replaced by motion satelite... that'd be a hell of a chunk of work, to download all that and convert it. 'wonderful world' seemed a little out of place, but i guess most guys our age would probably slap in some hardcore or death metal in mindless cookie-cutter fashion... so kudos to ya there.
seeing the job you did has me thinking i'd be a real wuss not to go film the next one that hits the coast in my region.. dropped the ball wtih Charley's #2 landfall and gaston last year.
again, nice work.
HF 0036z24march

HanKFranK
User

Re: Hurricane Charley Movie Download (must see) [Re: HanKFranK]
      #35028 - Wed Mar 23 2005 08:27 PM

i viewed the movie yesterday by downloading from the .wmv link and opening the file w/o saving it. just got the bit torrent download complete, but i can't get the file to convert to a .wmv.. it's stuck with the .wmv.torrent extension and won't play on winamp. any of y'all know how to get me past this problem?
hopefully i'm just pre-empting repeats of this question and am not just plain stupid.
later y'all.
HF 0117z24march

Lysis
User

Re: Hurricane Charley Movie Download (must see) [Re: HanKFranK]
      #35029 - Wed Mar 23 2005 08:29 PM

Thanks. This really a work in progress so any comments in this regard would be appreciated. I have alot more footage I would like to incorporate (all the major hurricane stuff is there already however). This was the 2nd time we have been through this (we were living in homestead in 92'), so I figured if our house was going to get destroyed I would like to have something to show for it. It was intense to say the least. You really have to listen to it with the surround sound blaring to get the full effect. Look for the “singing” during the second half.

EDIT: I would say, you won't get visuals like this from a storm like Gaston.

--------------------
cheers

Edited by Lysis (Wed Mar 23 2005 08:46 PM)

HanKFranK
User

visuals [Re: Lysis]
      #35031 - Thu Mar 24 2005 09:27 AM

yeah, for a gaston-intensity storm i'd go play on the beach. it'd be a chancy thing getting into the eye of a four.. not just picking the right landfall point, but also finding a safe enough vista. being caught outside in Charley wouldn't quite be a death sentence, but i don't like those odds. besides.. my hunk of coastline doesn't get hit very much. gaston and 2nd landfall Charley are all that's gone on up here since hugo.
FYI, got the movie working again. just delete the extra extension is all.
HF 1418z24march

Lysis
User

Re: visuals [Re: HanKFranK]
      #35034 - Thu Mar 24 2005 12:55 PM

I am still amazed how compact Charley was. Charlotte County Medical center recorded a 150 knot wind gust (170 mph) and they were farther from the storms center than I. Normally such a distance would merit no attention, however in a storm with an eye only 5 miles wide, and with hurricane force winds only extending out 25 miles, every mile make a huge difference. I would be interested to know exactly how strong the winds were at my location, and more specifically in the video I captured. I don't suppose anyone can tell by the visuals?

--------------------
cheers

~Floydbuster
Verified CFHC User

Reged: Fri
Re: visuals [Re: Lysis]
      #35040 - Sat Mar 26 2005 08:08 AM Attachment (528 downloads)

Based on what the video shows, I am guessing you recieved 135-145 mph sustained, gusts 150-160 mph.

REMEMBER, Hurricane Charley made it's first landfall in Cayo Costa, FL at 150 mph and 941 mb. Then, it's second landfall was in Punta Gorda, FL at 145 mph and 942 mb. Therefore, you probably recived sustained 140-145 mph winds.

Lysis
User

Re: visuals [Re: ~Floydbuster]
      #35041 - Sat Mar 26 2005 09:01 AM

The cyclone could not have weakened that much. I mean, the thing was only going over not even a hundred yards of mangroves at 20 mph. The eye was so compact that it was actually over open harbor (save parts of Pine Island) until it hit mainland Fl about an hour later. Remember, I am not inland Punta Gorda... I live right on the mouth of Charlotte Harbor.

Charlotte County Airport: 139 kts
Charlotte County Medical Center: 150 kts:

--------------------
cheers

Edited by Lysis (Sat Mar 26 2005 09:02 AM)

Lysis
User

#35042 - Sat Mar 26 2005 09:09 AM

On an unrelated note, while we on the topic of landfalling windspeeds, I was wondering if anyone can ascertain if I have in fact experienced category five conditions in my life:
http://www.nhc.noaa.gov/gifs/1992andy.JPG
Our house at the time was around 214 street Krome AV (SW 177). A good visual indicator is that green radar spike.

Edited by Lysis (Sat Mar 26 2005 09:11 AM)

~Floydbuster
Verified CFHC User

#35043 - Sat Mar 26 2005 09:31 AM

It hit the barrier island at full intensity...
150 mph/941 mb

An hour later, as it went up the harbor, the interaction with land caused the pressure to go up one milibar, and the winds to go down 5 mph to an intensity of 145 mph/942 mb.

THE OFFICIAL INFO:::
13 / 1945 26.6 82.2 941mb 130 kt Landfall near Cayo Costa, FL
13 / 2045 26.9 82.1 942mb 125 kt Landfall near Punta Gorda, FL

~Floydbuster
Verified CFHC User

#35044 - Sat Mar 26 2005 09:33 AM

Quote:

On an unrelated note, while we on the topic of landfalling windspeeds, I was wondering if anyone can ascertain if I have in fact experienced category five conditions in my life:
http://www.nhc.noaa.gov/gifs/1992andy.JPG
Our house at the time was around 214 street Krome AV (SW 177). A good visual indicator is that green radar spike.

Well, the eyewall passed right over you...so I would assume you had sustained winds of 150-165 mph gusting 165-180 mph

Lysis
User

#35045 - Sat Mar 26 2005 10:27 AM

Yes, but in this field, what is official and what is reality often times conflict. I know what the official estimates are for all these storms... and they are just that --estimates. And at the risk of sounding like a total conspiratist, I will say that I am most interested in the unseen truth when it comes to these things.

Edited by Lysis (Sat Mar 26 2005 11:45 AM)

~Floydbuster
Verified CFHC User

#35047 - Sat Mar 26 2005 04:20 PM

Wait, are you saying you think Charley was STRONGER??? 155 mph sustained AT THE VERY most in that video, although it seems the video has 135-145 mph sustained.

Lysis
User

#35048 - Sat Mar 26 2005 05:14 PM

Naw, I am just saying that we don't really know. I think allot of storms are not given their due credit wind wise simply because it is generally impossible to accurately gauge them. Andrew was only given his category five status 10 years after the fact. Both of the maximum wind gusts during Charley also destroyed the respected anemometers. Phil told me once, "in the end what is the difference between a strong Cat IV and a weak Cat V?" Either way the winds were incredible (that overturned motor home down my street can attest to that), and just maybe, they were a little stronger than we think.

although it seems the video has 135-145 mph sustained.
Who can really tell? Remember, I stopped filming outside well before the eye came. My mom made me come inside.

--------------------
cheers

Edited by Lysis (Sat Mar 26 2005 05:16 PM)

SkeetoBiteAdministrator
Master of Maps

Loc: Lakeland, FL
      #35049 - Sat Mar 26 2005 05:20 PM

Quote:

"in the end what is the difference between a strong Cat IV and a weak Cat V?"

The answer is: Exactly one mile per hour in wind speed.

Just kidding LIPhil ;-)

Still working on the next version of the maps. I guess we will need to keep up our efforts this season since NHC will not be changing their maps.

Lysis
User

Re: visuals [Re: SkeetoBite]
      #35051 - Sat Mar 26 2005 05:28 PM

What did you think of the film Skeetobite?

EDIT: Could you post a preview of one of your maps... I hear they are quite acclaimed.

--------------------
cheers

SkeetoBiteAdministrator
Master of Maps

Loc: Lakeland, FL
      #35052 - Sat Mar 26 2005 05:56 PM

Well done on your film. I toured that area in November. Looked like Charley had hit just the day before.

Your information on the maps is correct. I will post something soon. We are attempting to eliminate the Microsoft base maps without losing the level of detail folks have come to rely on.

here is an example of the 2004 maps. Note that this map was based on a forecast and that the actual path differed:

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | >> (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 4 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  CFHC, Ed Dunham, Colleen A., danielw, Clark, RedingtonBeachGuy, Bloodstar, tpratch, typhoon_tip, cieldumort 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 52730

Rate this topic

Jump to

Note: This is NOT an official page. It is run by weather hobbyists and should not be used as a replacement for official sources. 
CFHC's main servers are currently located at
Hostdime.com in Orlando, FL.
Image Server Network thanks to Mike Potts and Amazon Web Services. If you have static file hosting space that allows dns aliasing contact us to help out! Some Maps Provided by:
Great thanks to all who donated and everyone who uses the site as well. Site designed for 800x600+ resolution
When in doubt, take the word of the National Hurricane Center