F
Current Radar or Satellite Image

Flhurricane.com - Central Florida Hurricane Center - Tracking Storms since 1995Hurricanes Without the Hype! Since 1995

Special Tropical Weather Outlook issued for area in the East-Central Atlantic, only with 10% chance for development, not expected to do much.
Days since last H. Landfall - US: Any 238 (Idalia) , Major: 238 (Idalia) Florida - Any: 238 (Idalia) Major: 238 (Idalia)

General Discussion >> Other Storm Basins

Pages: 1
HanKFranK
User

Reged:
Loc: Graniteville, SC
new system--91L/daniel
      #68079 - Sun Jul 16 2006 11:18 PM

nhc is going to have to explain to me what's up with the invest out there. it's very clearly been a tropical depression all day. closed circulation, organized convection that is present in all quadrants, definitely has a closed isobar or two and probably winds 25-30kt. looked that way for going on 18hr now. dunno what gives. i wouldn't be surprised if this system develops a deep CDO overnight and forms an eye by late tomorrow.
HF 2318z16july

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Clark
Meteorologist

Reged:
Loc:
Re: new system--91L/daniel [Re: HanKFranK]
      #68090 - Mon Jul 17 2006 01:20 AM

It seems to me as though the NHC is a little more hesitant to upgrade waves to depressions in the E. Pacific as compared to the Atlantic. Maybe it's the lack of recon flights, maybe it's apathy, I'm not sure -- but it does seem like it takes a bit more organization to get something in the E. Pacific. I don't have any hard stats to back this up, but it seems to me (from memory) that almost all E. Pacific depressions ultimately become tropical storms, whereas this is not the case in the Atlantic.

In the NHC's favor, it seems as though what obs. they do have do not support depression status for many of those features, whether QuikScat winds & wind speeds or satellite intensity estimates. This one should get the upgrade soon enough and ultimately become a tropical storm and possibly hurricane, but I think you can easily make a case for something as of 5a this morning.

There's another one behind it, too, that has a shot over the next 3-5 days...assuming this one doesn't become large and inhibit the other's development due to excessive outflow/shear. It seems like E. Pacific activity comes and goes in spurts, but this one is getting on up there.

--------------------
Current Tropical Model Output Plots
(or view them on the main page for any active Atlantic storms!)

cieldumort

Reged:
Loc: Austin, Tx
      #68095 - Mon Jul 17 2006 04:28 AM

I believe that it should have been an invest all day..at the very least, but as for it being a full-on depression, I have my reservations. However, I also believe that NHC has been remiss in not mentioning the Low sooner.

IMHO, we have a sub-tropical depression which has been highly-sheared on it's western quadrant, and which has not fully separated itself from a still-respectable front. Consequently, much of the cyclogenesis has been baroclinic. That said, clearly there has been a LLC all day long, banding, deep convection (in the eastern quadrant), a little bit of antic-cyclonic outflow, something of a warm-core. Hardly what I would expect a fair and ballanced NHC to let go basically unmentioned all day.

Who knows what the internal debates and decisions are. I would have thought 91L & 92L of last month would have receieved more attention from them, also.

92L reminded me quite a lot of the late-season named systems of last year, 91L appears to have closed-off right at landfall, and this non-Invest, Invest, sure passes the smell test of a hybrid system worthy of at least official notice as an Invest.

Edit: When you posted 91*L* of course I read into that Atlantic. I think you mean 91*E* and my reply is meant for the Carolinas northernmost low opps

--------------------
Fully vaccinated as of May 2021
(Moderna x2)

Edited by cieldumort (Mon Jul 17 2006 05:33 AM)

Spoken
Weather Hobbyist

Reged:
      #68261 - Thu Jul 20 2006 08:09 AM

Click here to get funktop with hurricane daniel. As daniel intensifies - beyond category 2 - there's presumably going to be more 'lime green' in the imagery.

Funktop enhancement - developed by Ted Funk for assistance with Precipitation analysis. I sure hope I'm making a plug for a friend of flhurricane.com (and those who support it).

sara33
Weather Guru

Reged:
Loc: St. Pete,
Re: new system--91L/daniel [Re: Spoken]
      #68317 - Sat Jul 22 2006 10:59 PM

I was wondering if the Pacific season is average right now or above/below normal? Just curious.

Thanks,

Storm Hunter
Veteran Storm Chaser

Reged:
Loc: Panama City Beach, Fl.
Re: new system--91L/daniel [Re: sara33]
      #68327 - Sun Jul 23 2006 09:00 PM

pretty cool vis shot.....

http://www.ssd.noaa.gov/goes/west/cpac/loop-vis.html

can't wait until media here's there's a hurricane headed towards the Hawaiian Islands in 120hrs or so.... (it should be much weaker by then)

forecasted at 50kts in the 120 hr time frame

--------------------
www.Stormhunter7.com ***see my flight into Hurricane Ike ***
Wx Data: KFLPANAM23 / CW8771
2012== 23/10/9/5 sys/strms/hurr/majh

HanKFranK
User

Reged:
daniel goes down [Re: Storm Hunter]
      #68376 - Tue Jul 25 2006 04:54 PM

wow, those minority models (GFS/GFDL) that predicted daniel would come to a halt near 140W were right. the storm has pretty much stopped near 143W and lost all its convection. so much for the prospect of a significant system nearing hawaii. dunno if the hawaiian center has said this yet.. but it's probably just going to spin down and die, not really affect this islands. good news, if it pans out.
HF 1653z25july

bobw211
Verified CFHC User

Reged:
Loc: WPB, Florida
Re: daniel goes down [Re: HanKFranK]
      #68441 - Wed Jul 26 2006 03:34 PM

A FRESH BATCH OF CB...THE FIRST IN OVER 24 HOURS...HAS BURST TO LIFE ALONG THE NORTHEASTERN FRINGE OF THE WEAKENING CIRCULATION OF DANIEL. THESE CB ARE OVER 100 NM FROM THE CENTER HOWEVER...KEEPING DATA T NUMBERS LOW IF THEY CAN BE DEFINED AT ALL. INITIAL INTENSITY IS SET AT 30 KT BASED ON THE 1130 UTC PHFO CI NUMBER OF 2.0 AND THE ADMITTEDLY OLD 0500 UTC QUIKSCAT SCATTEROMETER PASS SHOWING A SMALL HANDFUL OF 30 KT WIND BARBS. DANIEL CONTINUES TO SPIN DOWN TO DISSIPATION ..WITH THE NEW CB LIKELY THE RESULT OF NIGHTTIME CLOUD TOP COOLING AND LOCAL LOW LEVEL CONVERGENCE.

Looks like a hawaii well just have a cloudy day.

HanKFranK
User

Reged:
daniel comes up? [Re: bobw211]
      #68502 - Fri Jul 28 2006 05:39 AM

that little batch of cb the discussions out of hawaii have been noting is persisting and growing... has been all day. hawaii may need to reclassify it and issue watches. based on the system's current appearance and action i'd say it's redeveloping, and may regain tropical storm strength as it passes the islands. the orographic effects should definitely lead to substantial rainfall. it isn't moving incredibly quickly, either.
yeah, cphc definitely should consider reclassifying it.
HF 0539z28july

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 6 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 8671

Rate this topic

Jump to

Note: This is NOT an official page. It is run by weather hobbyists and should not be used as a replacement for official sources. 
CFHC's main servers are currently located at
Hostdime.com in Orlando, FL.
Image Server Network thanks to Mike Potts and Amazon Web Services. If you have static file hosting space that allows dns aliasing contact us to help out! Some Maps Provided by:
Great thanks to all who donated and everyone who uses the site as well. Site designed for 800x600+ resolution
When in doubt, take the word of the National Hurricane Center