F
Current Radar or Satellite Image

Flhurricane.com - Central Florida Hurricane Center - Tracking Storms since 1995Hurricanes Without the Hype! Since 1995

Chill falls over the Atlantic as the official season heads towards close
Days since last H. Landfall - US: Any 229 (Idalia) , Major: 229 (Idalia) Florida - Any: 229 (Idalia) Major: 229 (Idalia)
None
COMMUNICATION
STORM DATA
CONTENT
FOLLOW US
ADS
Login to remove ads

News Talkback >> 2005 Storm Forum

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1 | 2 | >> (show all)
Ed DunhamAdministrator
Former Meteorologist & CFHC Forum Moderator (Ed Passed Away on May 14, 2017)

Reged: Sun
Loc: Melbourne, FL
Initial Outlook for 2005
      #34765 - Sat Jan 15 2005 12:06 PM

I spent a considerable amount of time on Friday examining the likely level of activity for 2005 and came to two conclusions:
1. My initial thoughts for 8/4/1 were too low, and
2. Dr Gray's preliminary numbers of 11/6/3 seem to be very realistic.

I don't really expect too much of a pattern change for the 2005 season. The ITCZ has retreated well to the south (similar to last year) and extends across northern South America toward the west northwest (also similar to last year). As the ITCZ lifts north in the Spring it will promote a slightly better chance than last year for an early season storm to form. Not a great chance, but a May or June storm will certainly be possible in the southwestern Caribbean.

My expectations on ENSO have changed considerably, and while a weak El Nino will be around for a few months, I no longer believe that it will reach moderate intensity and therefore it will not last as long. A weak El Nino may hang around for awhile but I it looks like it will not be much of an influence on the totals for the season.

Threat areas would seem to be pretty much as stated earlier with all of the Texas coast to western Louisiana in a potential danger zone - can't get any more specific on this area since it will all depend on the strength of the Atlantic ridge and the extent to which it ridges into the Gulf of Mexico. With the axis of the ridge expected to be a little further north at times (a more normal pattern), south Florida would also be at a greater risk during the upcoming season. I also expect that one or two recurving storms (sliding offshore the east coast of Florida - and jarring nerves) will pose a threat to the eastern Carolinas. So far this winter, the jetstream has been riding at a more northern latitude and if this trend continues through the summer, New England would not be a likely threat area.

My initial thoughts are for a normal summer pattern with minimal El Nino influence and not quite as hot in the Southeast as it was during the Spring and early Summer last year. With a normal pattern I would expect a more normal Cape Verde season with some long-track storms in the mid to late Summer. Best Analog years are 1958 and 1978 and, for track pattern only, 1951. My initial outlook numbers are 11/7/3.

So far, the following seasonal forecasts were made for 2005 (taken from the 2004 Storm Forum):

Dr Gray: 11/6/3
TSR: 14/8/4 (also the average for the past 10 years)
ED : 11/7/3
Clark: 13/7/3
HanKFranK: 17/11/5
Keith234: 12/6/4
LI Phil: 12/7/2
James88: 13/7/3
Heather: 14/7/4

Here is your chance to add your own thoughts and early season forecasts for the number of Named Storms/Hurricanes/Major Hurricanes. Just like last year, I'll 'freeze' the numbers around June 1st - as conditions change you can certainly revise your forecast for the season until then. Give it your best shot!
Cheers,
ED

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
LI Phil
User

Reged: Fri
Loc: Long Island (40.7N 73.6W)
Re: Initial Outlook for 2005 [Re: Ed Dunham]
      #34767 - Sat Jan 15 2005 06:30 PM

Excellent analysis Ed (yeah, like I'd know), but it certainly seems reasonable in mid-January. I think we should all update our numbers in April, and then again, just before June 1. I share your thoughts about ENSO and the weak el nino not being too much of a factor. Of course, the SOI, PNA, NAO, CIA & FBI will also have to be considered.

Also a question...should we get an "off season" storm such as we had in 2003, with Ana, Odette & Peter, I know they would "officially" count towards predictions, but for our purposes here, should we only count our "in season" storms towards our totals? Just a thought, I'll leave the call up to Mr. Dunham.

Please inform the varmint his constantly changing numbers will be subject to editing this season. His 6/1/05 guess WILL remain in his signature ALL SEASON.

Thank you. Thank you very much.

Cheers,

LI Phil

Everything counts, including Subtropical Storms - no matter what the month. If we get 3 named storms before June 1st, I'd imagine that quite a few folks will be updating their numbers
ED

Edited by Ed Dunham (Sat Jan 15 2005 09:46 PM)

Storm Cooper
User

Reged: Sat
Loc: Panama City , FL
Re: Initial Outlook for 2005 [Re: LI Phil]
      #34768 - Sat Jan 15 2005 07:05 PM

See below ... and a fine job Ed as normal!

--------------------
Hurricane Season 2017 13/7/1

Craig
Unregistered

#34769 - Sun Jan 16 2005 05:05 PM

I'm predicting 15/10/6.

javlin
Weather Master

Reged: Wed
Loc: Biloxi,MS
      #34771 - Mon Jan 17 2005 03:52 PM

Here it goes never made a prediction on a number yet 13/8/4.I actually like Clark's numbers but this will do.

Clark
Meteorologist

Loc:
      #34790 - Sat Jan 22 2005 02:11 AM

It's an interesting setup in the Eastern Pacific right now...cooler than normal near-shore, while a bit warmer than normal towards the Nino 3-4 region(s). On the whole though, anomalies rarely exceed 1° anywhere in the basin, so whatever is out there is rather weak. It will be interesting to see how this plays out over the course of the season, though we're seeing now what will likely be the influencing factors for the beginning of the season.

I still feel confident in 13/7/3, but we'll see what happens over the course of the next few months. If the current pattern holds, we'll get a lot of fish spinners; if we retreat into the pattern of a couple of weeks ago, we'll see a lot of landfalling storms. Likely, it'll be somewhere in between. I don't have any skill in identifying that however, so I'll leave that for the others.

--------------------
Current Tropical Model Output Plots
(or view them on the main page for any active Atlantic storms!)

Lysis
User

Reged: Thu
Loc: Hong Kong
Re: Initial Outlook for 2005 [Re: Clark]
      #34791 - Sat Jan 22 2005 08:13 AM Attachment (526 downloads)

Dr. Grays numbers seem to be the lowest. While I personally will not even hope to make a prediction for fear of bieng wrong, I thought that the NHC diddnt forcast intensity, --only location. At any rate, these varying forcast differ greatly --and this isn't the NHC. Now, I know that it is still early in the game, but could we have some reasoning with each respected forcast? Or is that not the purpose of this game? I use the term 'game' loosly, and I am in no way implying that hurricanes are a game. However, I feel that this forcasting competition has become one. To add a bit of a scientific flair to all this, I believe that anyone who dares to bet on the numbers, should include at least a little reasoning. Sorry --just had to say it.

EDIT: for example, like Clark

--------------------
cheers

Edited by Lysis (Sat Jan 22 2005 10:58 AM)

Keith234
Storm Chaser

Loc: 40.7N/73.3W Long Island
Re: Initial Outlook for 2005 [Re: Lysis]
      #34796 - Sun Jan 23 2005 08:51 PM

ENSO-warm-phase subject to change as time progresses, I feel that if it is active in the summer time, that southern "jet" really will retreat the mean sub-tropical ridge, father west and north then normal.

QBO( Quasi-Biennial Oscillation)-peaked in August this year at -24 eastery phase, that tells you something...forecasted to go westerly for the next 12 months and once again peaking in late August and September only this time the opposite.

ATC (Atlantic Thermohaline Circulation)- in the strong phase for the decade at least, but subject to large fluctuation a la 2002. Probably produce some warmer then normal waters (noticeable) in the Caribbean and the GOM, usually suspects.

NAO-This year was positive at least as a mean. Really pumped the subby, thereafter steered just about every storm into the GOM Florida region...next year as a average I feel it will be positive, or just higher up - not necessarily in the mid-Atlantic coast region. Suggesting that the flow will favor recurviving storms.

Mean Development Region

Gulf of Mexico area/Caribbean sea- probably see an early storm pop up off the coast of South America ride it's way over the Yutcan and get into the Bay of Campeche (TD). See 1 major hurricane impacting the mouth of Mississippi area late July early August and then a tropical storm late in the end of September.

Florida/Southeast - not nearly as many storms as this year, 2 hurricanes storms one CAT 2 and one CAT 3 brushing the coast area on they're recurvature, but no direct hits. Maybe a tropical storm *late*, obviously too early to tell! Phew!!

OB area- I'm going to be "banging the drum" for CV systems to hit this area, only because the set up of the flow. It does along with the past record s following strong hurricanes hitting Florida. So a total of 5 storms will impact the area - three being hurricanes- two majors, Bermuda (homegrown) development (especially when negative MJO), and one tropical storm forming near the Bahamas, ala Jeanne.

New England Coast - 1 tropical storm, with significant coastal flooding and beach erosion from every storm, especially CV systems that partially touch land, in the middle of the season.

Eastern Atlantic- Two TD’s form become “Fish spinners” recurve in late July.

Month by Month

June- early storm,* relatively* quiet. Many people will anticipate the first hurricane too early and try and develop things that have no physical chance! Late June, waves start picking up one may develop by the end of June, track into July.

July- active with 2 of the major hurricanes impacting the Florida/GOM area, MJO starting to drop negative by the end of the month. Homegrown development in GOM very early, affecting Texas.

August- Very active (once again) with no respite as the “Wave train” reaches a maximum, and MJO hits the bottom. NAO positive with some minor changes. OB get's all their majors!

September - Slowing down, but GOM and Florida get some action, with a sudden deja vu of last year. Though only 2 storms, they will be the strongest of the season when on approach to Florida, devastation occurs in Bahamas yet again.

October/November- Wave gets blocked by ridge dropping down, briefly but enough to significantly recurve the system. Rides up coast near miss on OB but just brushes the Delmarva peninsula at moving at a speed over 30 mph. Polar Votex sets up in Eastern Canada...winter pattern predominate and hurricane season ends in a brusque manner.

In conclusion...I’m calling for 12 Storms... 4 majors, 2 non-majors, 3 Tropical Storms, and three TD. As Clark said, nothing out of the ordinary...this is just preliminary!

--------------------
"I became insane with horrible periods of sanity"
Edgar Allan Poe

HanKFranK
User

Reged: Mon
Loc: Graniteville, SC
Re: Initial Outlook for 2005 [Re: Keith234]
      #34801 - Wed Jan 26 2005 11:24 PM

geez keith. guess i shouldn't go to disney world this july.
i'm gonna leave the six-month lead individual storm forecasting to keith.. reckon i'll just explain my numbers as lysis suggests we who wish to qualify them should. very well.
my numbers are crazy high.. 17/11/5. it's a departure from my old strategy of going with high-average numbers.. which worked well in the late '90s and to a lesser degree the last couple of years. last year i interpreted the warm ENSO conditions in the pacific to mean a slightly inhibited season.. which was every bit reasonable.. but the result was another 15 system year with a couple of marginal systems that nearly pushed the numbers higher.. and five major hurricanes. all five of these major hurricanes affected the u.s. (two weren't major at the time though). so, the first year i've predicted and gone low, we get what is probably the landmark year of the decade. natural.
so anyway, what is different about this year. ENSO is doing roughly the same thing.. i believe tilting back to neutral. so using 2003/2004 type numbers. don't think the truncated october that we had last year will happen in '05. i like the idea of a 2003-like, spread season. odds are always for a system prior to august. one of the big questions i have in mind is whether we'll go back to a segment, MJO-driven season. 2004 wasn't that sort of year.. MJO just didn't do much to affect the temporal distribution of systems.
this is outside of sheer numbers, but the one other thing i'm pondering is what effects el nino had on the mean global circulation in august/september last year. ridging persisted on the japanese and u.s. coasts and drove storm after storm westward into them. the ENSO warm event was mostly a western and central pacific event.. which has happened some in recent years. but the cool water spike off peru was essentially gone.. i wonder if that tipped the scales and shifted that notorious saving-grace of an east coast trough inland, and brought the storm track west with it. doubt i'll be able to write my thesis paper on it.. but if i ever go for a doctorate.. oh i'll worry about that later.
i'll probably adjust my numbers down later.. i've finally conceded and given up my shred of pride in having outpredicted with a december forecast the june numbers from more official sources for a few seasons.. but of course that was mostly luck. when i have a better feel for the pulse of things, later in the spring, i'll probably tweak them a little. but i don't think they'll come down much. i'm betting '05 will be another active one.. but active seasons aren't always bad. it's not how many form this season, it's whose door they come knocking on.
HF 0328z27january

Edited by HanKFranK (Wed Jan 26 2005 11:28 PM)

Keith234
Storm Chaser

Re: Initial Outlook for 2005 [Re: HanKFranK]
      #34802 - Thu Jan 27 2005 12:12 PM

just a educated guess, why not go all out now. the water profile in the atlantic is starting to heat up...NAO is going negaitive, blocking is developing. Your right HF it is much to early to determine things, spring we will have a better pic...and will be able to time the indices better. Had a blizzard a couple days ago, nasty weather...

--------------------
Edgar Allan Poe

Luis Martinez

Reged: Fri
Loc: San Juan,Puerto Rico
      #34804 - Fri Jan 28 2005 08:54 AM

Cycloneyes outlook is 12/7/3 but I will elaborate more in april when I have more data to say by then if those numbers I have will stay the same or I have to go up or down.I am glad to see my old friends again.

--------------------
My 2005 forecast numbers=12/7/3

doug
Weather Analyst

Loc: parrish,fl
Re: Initial Outlook for 2005 [Re: Luis Martinez]
      #34807 - Fri Jan 28 2005 03:00 PM

All this is very interesting, esp. the educated analysis of Clark and Ed...I see nothing in any thing said so far to go to far from the guru Dr. Gray.

--------------------
doug

Keith234
Storm Chaser

Re: Initial Outlook for 2005 [Re: HanKFranK]
      #34812 - Sat Jan 29 2005 12:00 PM

hey, the farmer's almanac does it. but this is just for fun...the real stuff comes later.

--------------------
Edgar Allan Poe

Lysis
User

#34836 - Tue Feb 01 2005 05:41 PM

I think that my cat is more weather wise than the farmer's almanac
it's not how many form this season, it's whose door they come knocking on.
You speak the truth!

--------------------
cheers

Edited by Lysis (Tue Feb 01 2005 05:43 PM)

Matthurricane

Reged: Sun
Re: Initial Outlook for 2005 [Re: Lysis]
      #34861 - Sun Feb 06 2005 09:31 PM

I will make a guest at the Number!!!

15 named storms
7 hurricanes
4 Maj hurricanes
2 Landfalling hurricanes
3 Landfalling tropical storms!!!

great guest. -HF

Edited by HanKFranK (Mon Feb 07 2005 04:18 PM)

HanKFranK
User

Loc: Graniteville, SC
early trend? [Re: Matthurricane]
      #34875 - Tue Feb 08 2005 12:57 AM

a familiar-looking spike of cool SSTs near the galapagos has started asserting itself in the last couple of weeks. it's early to say anything yet, could be transient.... just watch it into the spring. we've had neutral to moderate el nino conditions since 2002, so things ought to swing back to ENSO cold before too many more months go by anyway.. with a cold-natured PDO template to work against, i don't think we'll have too many strong or persistent el nino's for the next decade or two.
HF 0450z08february

Spike
Storm Tracker

Loc: Central, Florida
Re: Initial Outlook for 2005 [Re: Luis Martinez]
      #34884 - Thu Feb 10 2005 08:09 PM

I know it's not really a good thing to want an active season, but I really enjoy tracking storms, I hope we have an active season with minimum dammage and no loss of life.

--------------------
Patrick
God Bless America
Be proud of your Country!

Storm Cooper
User

Reged: Sat
Loc: Panama City , FL
Re: Initial Outlook for 2005 [Re: Spike]
      #34885 - Thu Feb 10 2005 08:24 PM

We will have what we have and run with that.... about all we can do.

--------------------
Hurricane Season 2017 13/7/1

Lysis
User

Re: Initial Outlook for 2005 [Re: Storm Cooper]
      #34886 - Fri Feb 11 2005 10:29 AM

I dont know what I want anymore.

--------------------
cheers

JustMe
Weather Guru

Loc: Orlando, Florida
      #34893 - Mon Feb 14 2005 12:05 PM

Numbers

13/8/4

will be an interesting year as always.

--------------------

I have survived Betsy Miss, Camille Miss., Andrew Fl, Charley Fl, Frances FL, Jeanne FL,

Pages: 1 | 2 | >> (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 21 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  MikeC, Ed Dunham, danielw 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 19345

Rate this topic

Jump to

Note: This is NOT an official page. It is run by weather hobbyists and should not be used as a replacement for official sources. 
CFHC's main servers are currently located at
Hostdime.com in Orlando, FL.
Image Server Network thanks to Mike Potts and Amazon Web Services. If you have static file hosting space that allows dns aliasing contact us to help out! Some Maps Provided by:
Great thanks to all who donated and everyone who uses the site as well. Site designed for 800x600+ resolution
When in doubt, take the word of the National Hurricane Center