F
Current Radar or Satellite Image

Flhurricane.com - Central Florida Hurricane Center - Tracking Storms since 1995Hurricanes Without the Hype! Since 1995

Chill falls over the Atlantic as the official season heads towards close
Days since last H. Landfall - US: Any 211 (Idalia) , Major: 211 (Idalia) Florida - Any: 211 (Idalia) Major: 211 (Idalia)
None
COMMUNICATION
STORM DATA
CONTENT
FOLLOW US
ADS
Login to remove ads

News Talkback >> 2005 Storm Forum

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
dave foster
Weather Hobbyist

Reged: Sun
Loc: UK
The Big Storm Naming Dilemma
      #58113 - Mon Oct 10 2005 09:27 PM

I've heard a lot of people discussing the fact that we are running out of names for this season. When I discovered the naming plan subsequent to Wilma I was surprised by the notion of carrying on with letters from the Greek alphabet. I think the whole point of using common christian names is to make the storms memorable and, posssibly, to add some colour or character to them. The problem with using unique names such as 'alpha' will make it difficult when it comes to archiving, as some people have already mentioned. The fact that this season is turning out to be long on names is a concern since, if we are to believe all the stories of global warming, we may be in for many more of them, hence putting further pressure on the current naming convention.

So, I decided to think of what might be a better alternative.

I thought of the following:

1. Run through the season's names again appending the value 2 e.g. Katrina2
Obviously, this sounds a bit like movie re-hashing as in Jason37, but it would still lend character without confusing the issue regarding the storm it was referring to, for example, anyone that's seen Aliens knows perfecly well that Aliens2 is a different movie.

If anyone has any good ideas on the matter please feel free to comment and add to the list.

--------------------
Dave Foster
http://www.ascn92.dsl.pipex.com

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Multi-Decadal Signal
Weather Guru

Reged: Thu
Loc: BROWARD
Re: The Big Storm Naming Dilemma [Re: dave foster]
      #58131 - Tue Oct 11 2005 05:46 PM

Here are 2 ideas.

1. Add the year to the Greek letter. i.e. Alpha 05

2. Substitute the Hebrew letter for a deadly Greek named storm. i.e.
if Alpha is a bad storm worthy of retirement, then put Aleph in the lineup. Aleph, Beta, Gamma...

G. Cantor gave Hebrew names to the 3 classes of infinity so the use of that alphabet is not unknown to science.

HanKFranK
User

Reged: Mon
Loc: Graniteville, SC
Re: The Big Storm Naming Dilemma [Re: Multi-Decadal Signal]
      #58150 - Wed Oct 12 2005 12:54 PM

the way this talk is going we could start substituting celtic runes or egyptian hieroglyphs into hurricane names. it goes against the normal conventions. i think they ought to just have an auxillary list of normal names that they only go to in case of emergency (like more than 21 storms in a year). or just add an xyz like in the eastpac to go the extra mile.
HF 1654z12october

NewWatcher
Storm Tracker

Reged: Wed
Loc: Port Orange, FL
Re: The Big Storm Naming Dilemma [Re: HanKFranK]
      #58168 - Thu Oct 13 2005 10:44 AM

I really dont understand the big deal here. Why do the names have to be]
predetermined... the NHC seems to be the ones in charge, just make up a name when there arent anymore or make an alt list or use alpha i mean who really cares about the name anyhow??????

--------------------
Pam in Volusia County

According to Colleen A ... "I AM A HURRICANE FREAK"
2007 Predictions 16/9/6

Big Kahuna
Weather Hobbyist

Reged: Sun
Loc: DeLand, Florida
Re: The Big Storm Naming Dilemma [Re: NewWatcher]
      #58186 - Fri Oct 14 2005 01:53 PM

Why doesnt the World Meteorological Organization just use all the letters in the alphabet? If we run out then,
1. switch to the Greek Alphabet
2. You know we had a really big season.

Margie
Senior Storm Chaser

Reged: Fri
Loc: Twin Cities
Re: The Big Storm Naming Dilemma [Re: HanKFranK]
      #58241 - Sat Oct 15 2005 01:13 PM

Well it is a moot point in a sense because NHC has already decided. However I think they just picked something, thinking it would never come into play so it wasn't anything critical.

Now that they might have to actually name a storm Alpha, with future seasons looming where that occurance might have to be repeated, I think they'll reconsider. I like names; hurricanes all have unique characteristics that we morph into personalities, and so there is something clinically unappealing about calling a storm Alpha.

I agree with HF, just create a 7th list of names that has the same conventions as the first six, but only gets used it you run out in a season. It doesn't even have to be more than 10 names (couldn't imagine a season of more than 31 named storms anyway, much less more than 42). And is easier than extending all six of the existing sets of names.

--------------------
Katrina's Surge: http://www.wunderground.com/hurricane/Katrinas_surge_contents.asp

Edited by Margie (Sat Oct 15 2005 01:33 PM)

shannon

Reged: Thu
Re: The Big Storm Naming Dilemma [Re: dave foster]
      #60128 - Thu Oct 20 2005 01:06 PM

They can't just go back to A and run through the alphabet again?

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 14 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  MikeC, Ed Dunham, danielw 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 15409

Rate this topic

Jump to

Note: This is NOT an official page. It is run by weather hobbyists and should not be used as a replacement for official sources. 
CFHC's main servers are currently located at
Hostdime.com in Orlando, FL.
Image Server Network thanks to Mike Potts and Amazon Web Services. If you have static file hosting space that allows dns aliasing contact us to help out! Some Maps Provided by:
Great thanks to all who donated and everyone who uses the site as well. Site designed for 800x600+ resolution
When in doubt, take the word of the National Hurricane Center