F
Current Radar or Satellite Image

Flhurricane.com - Central Florida Hurricane Center - Tracking Storms since 1995Hurricanes Without the Hype! Since 1995

Chill falls over the Atlantic as the official season heads towards close
Days since last H. Landfall - US: Any 201 (Idalia) , Major: 201 (Idalia) Florida - Any: 201 (Idalia) Major: 201 (Idalia)
None
COMMUNICATION
STORM DATA
CONTENT
FOLLOW US
ADS
Login to remove ads

General Discussion >> Site Updates, Suggestions and Questions

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
Ed DunhamAdministrator
Former Meteorologist & CFHC Forum Moderator (Ed Passed Away on May 14, 2017)

Reged: Sun
Loc: Melbourne, FL
A New CFHC User Group
      #75444 - Thu Jun 07 2007 08:27 PM

From the 'About CFHC' page:
"What this site is all about is tracking storms, warning folks, and preventing injuries and deaths that would otherwise be catastrophic."

I'll start this with two important comments:
1) The primary purpose of CFHC is to keep you informed about tropical cyclones in the Atlantic Basin, and to give you (and us) the opportunity to learn more about these systems.
2) CFHC is not an official source for information related to these tropical systems. It only supplements information from official sources such as the National Hurricane Center and your local National Weather Service office or Emergency Management resource.

CFHC satisfies its goals (or at least tries to) in these two areas through the use of Forum discussions, Meteorological Blogs, definitions and explanations, high resolution storm track displays, and a variety of Weather links.

I've often wondered how a newer site User manages to sift through all of the often confusing and conflicting discussions in order to separate the wheat (good advice) from the chaff (bad or unlikely advice). After a bit of time on the site, everybody probably learns how to do this - but thats not much help to the new visitor when something is threatening a coastline. Keep in mind that for every 5 registered Users on the site there are often 100 unregistered visitors who are also seeking knowledge and clarity.

As at least a partial solution, CFHC will soon implement a new User Group called 'Weather Analyst' In the past few weeks I've reviewed thousands of your posts in an attempt to identify likely candidates for this title. Here are the 'consideration factors' that I used:

Has a good understanding of meteorological processes.
Good analysis with reasonable/realistic expectations.
Non-emotional approach (even keeled).
Non-argumentative (treats others with respect).
Their posts consistently have quality info.
Usually gives sound advise.
Tends to answer questions rather than ask them.
Offers some original thought rather than quoting some other source.
Positive contributions to site discussions.
Aware of the CFHC site philosophy and tries to enhance it (stays on topic).

Nobody is expected to meet all of these factors all of the time, but at least they provided a good starting point. Note that the title is intentionally targeted to the non-professional site poster. I would expect that the site officials and Meteorologists provide a helpful starting point for everyone who visits here - but we are not all online all of the time and weather conditions can certainly change in those interim periods.

I have identified an initial small group (and this group will remain rather small - probably less than a dozen) and this group is under review by a few of us. Their primary purpose will be to continue to provide good guidance in their posts, i.e., just to keep doing what they always have been doing. It is not an elitist group (they can do nothing more than what they already do) - probably far from it since they are still subject to correction just like everybody else on the site. Note that the 'number' of posts was not a factor - but the quality of what was posted was an important factor.

In the next few days I'll be contacting a few of you to see if you'd be willing to accept this title change - and if not, I'll certainly understand. Some of you may feel that you 'fit the bill' but you don't get contacted. Don't dismay - it probably means that there are a couple of those factors that you still need to work on - and the group members will change over time. We certainly hope that this will generally be a positive step toward that 'learning' goal that I mentioned above.
Cheers,
ED

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Ed in Va
Weather Master

Reged: Fri
Loc:
Re: A New CFHC User Group [Re: Ed Dunham]
      #75445 - Thu Jun 07 2007 09:01 PM

Ed,

I'm not quite sure what you are proposing...a group within this site that will have a restricted membership?
If so, I don't have any problem with that, as I think some posters have recently gotten too far afield. Will nonmembers of this group still have the ability to read the comments of this new group?

--------------------
Survived Carol and Edna '54 in Maine. Guess this kind of dates me!

Ed DunhamAdministrator
Former Meteorologist & CFHC Forum Moderator (Ed Passed Away on May 14, 2017)

Reged: Sun
Loc: Melbourne, FL
Re: A New CFHC User Group [Re: Ed in Va]
      #75446 - Thu Jun 07 2007 09:07 PM

Group was probably a bad choice of words (on the site we 'group' everything, i.e., Admins, Mods, Mets, Users - but we are all still Users). Its really just a title change - and those with this title will have their name in a different color, thats all.

Thanks for pointing that out though.
Cheers,
ED

ltpat228
Storm Tracker

Reged: Tue
Loc: Port Saint Lucie FL
Re: A New CFHC User Group *DELETED* *DELETED* [Re: Ed Dunham]
      #75455 - Fri Jun 08 2007 12:02 PM

Post deleted by ltpat228

Edited by ltpat228 (Sat Jun 09 2007 08:51 AM)

Ricreig
User

Reged: Sat
Loc: Orlando, Fl
Re: A New CFHC User Group [Re: ltpat228]
      #75456 - Fri Jun 08 2007 12:17 PM

Quote:

What I am gathering is that these people can serve as mentors

Part of what Ed sent to me in a PM is quoted here:

"its sort of our answer to the dilemma that new Users face when they don't know quite who to believe. The title Weather Analyst will appear below your name in Orange when you post"

I think your perception is exactly what he is intending....that in some way the 'Analyst' can help those that might be confused as to who and what to believe have a better idea as to which way to go. I hope that I will be worthy of the task and the confidence he has given me and that I will in some way be of help to you and others on this site.

--------------------
Richard
A forecast is NOT a promise!

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 1 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  CFHC, MikeC, Ed Dunham, Colleen A., danielw, Clark, RedingtonBeachGuy, Bloodstar, tpratch, typhoon_tip, cieldumort 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 4910

Rate this topic

Jump to

Note: This is NOT an official page. It is run by weather hobbyists and should not be used as a replacement for official sources. 
CFHC's main servers are currently located at
Hostdime.com in Orlando, FL.
Image Server Network thanks to Mike Potts and Amazon Web Services. If you have static file hosting space that allows dns aliasing contact us to help out! Some Maps Provided by:
Great thanks to all who donated and everyone who uses the site as well. Site designed for 800x600+ resolution
When in doubt, take the word of the National Hurricane Center