F
Current Radar or Satellite Image

Flhurricane.com - Central Florida Hurricane Center - Tracking Storms since 1995Hurricanes Without the Hype! Since 1995

Chill falls over the Atlantic as the official season heads towards close
Days since last H. Landfall - US: Any 232 (Idalia) , Major: 232 (Idalia) Florida - Any: 232 (Idalia) Major: 232 (Idalia)
None
COMMUNICATION
STORM DATA
CONTENT
FOLLOW US
ADS
Login to remove ads

News Talkback >> 2002 News Articles and Talkback

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | >> (show all)
Anonymous
Unregistered

Re: TWC reports were incorrect...and movement of 94L.
      #2377 - Sat Aug 31 2002 06:19 PM

Speaking of stupidity..............never mind.............

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
troy
Unregistered

Re: Labor Day Weekend - Action in the Tropics
      #2378 - Sat Aug 31 2002 07:29 PM

though only slightly, it does appear that the convection may be back on track for the new system yet to be.
http://wwwghcc.msfc.nasa.gov/GOES/goes8hurrir.html.
-check the 4 previous images to see what i mean-

troy

troy
Unregistered

ooops
      #2379 - Sat Aug 31 2002 07:31 PM

http://wwwghcc.msfc.nasa.gov/GOES/goes8hurrir.html

dont know how that period got in at the end of that link

Anonymous (HF)
Unregistered

94L etc
      #2380 - Sat Aug 31 2002 07:37 PM

94L has been edging westward for days, but is about to brickwall against the upper feature over the southeast. steering currents are going to get really week.. any time this happens its safest to bet on the system eventually going north. probably get to within a hundred miles of the florida east coast and then start moving up toward the carolinas. in the weak steering environment and over waters 28-29C, do expect this storm to intensity fairly quickly once it gets going.
dolly is essentially unchanged, moving wnw, firing convection in bursts. expect it to miss NE of the islands, maybe weaken into the open wave as some are suggesting. pretty uncertain how dolly will end up, but i dont see a neat recurvature.. it either dies or gets by the shear and keeps coming.
several globals want to put something in the gulf in a few days.. not that pissant swirl off brownsville.
new emerging wave is well defined, still expect an invest out of it within a day or two.
may be a low pressure area forming off NC coast.. might bring 94L north to it, or develop into a system itself.
upper TUTT low SE of bermuda.. some models hint at it developing a SFC feature. will see.
HF 2335z31august

Colleen A.

Reged: Sat
Loc: Florida
Re: 94L etc
      #2383 - Sat Aug 31 2002 08:50 PM

LOL.....I just watched Mike Sidell on the WC, and he was so flustered that he could hardly talk. Poor guy...he probably got reamed by the NHC.

Convection is looking better with 94L; still looks like it's moving in a general westward motion. Both NWS discussions from Jax/Melbourne talked about this feature earlier this afternoon, don't know what their current thinking is on this one as of now.

Anyway...it's been interesting, that's for sure.

--------------------
You know you're a hurricane freak when you wake up in the morning and hit "REFRESH" on CFHC instead of the Snooze Button.

troy
Unregistered

#2384 - Sat Aug 31 2002 08:57 PM

it was probably some intern working the labor day holliday that pulled up the wrong info...

As for 94L check this link to see what Collen and I have seen
http://wwwghcc.msfc.nasa.gov/GOES/goes8hurrir.html

check the oldest image(around 6pm) then compare to current. Definate increase in convection

Troy

Bruce
Weather Guru

Reged: Fri
Loc: Palm Bay, Florida
      #2385 - Sat Aug 31 2002 09:09 PM

94L can be seen on Melbourne's long range radar loop.

Anonymous
Unregistered

#2386 - Sat Aug 31 2002 09:21 PM

bust out the link Bruce!!

Im lazy!
troy

Frank P
Veteran Storm Chaser

Reged: Mon
      #2387 - Sat Aug 31 2002 09:21 PM

Hey Colleen - I agree with you on the movement. Reviewing the latest IR loop, and sometimes the IR loops can be somewhat deceiving, 94L is moving more west than anything else IMO (at least during the past several hours). You guys are right on this one because it could crank up quickly as it approaches the gulf stream. No real significant buoy data on the system yet..

Some strong convection all day also in the southern GOM but looks to be dying off a little tonight, movement appears to be towards the NW and IF it holds together could bring some rain to the northern gulf coast on Monday.

It's early September, the peak of the Hurricane Season, and just like the baseball players.... our little tropical systems have decided not to go on strike either...... stay tuned..

Anonymous
Unregistered

#2388 - Sat Aug 31 2002 09:25 PM

http://www.srh.noaa.gov/radar/latest/DS.p20-r/si.kmlb.shtml
radar Bruce mentioned

i checked the outer bouy at 120miles..pressure there are steady if nout up a tiny bit!? but that really isnt all that close yet to the small 94l.

The swells and seas are holding if not increasing so that may be a sign.
troy

Bruce
Weather Guru

Reged: Fri
Loc: Palm Bay, Florida
      #2389 - Sat Aug 31 2002 09:29 PM

Check out Dolly? Seems to have two centers? One going North the other West. Input Please. Thanks.

Frank P
Veteran Storm Chaser

#2390 - Sat Aug 31 2002 09:38 PM

Good radar loop guys.

Radar confirms the general west movement... looks to be due west at the moment... convection holding steady north of the center... radar not seeing the eastern quadrant yet...... small compact little system at the moment... very interesting to say the least...

Troy
Unregistered

#2391 - Sat Aug 31 2002 09:55 PM

Speaking of said radar loop. Doesnt it seem to be moving W kinda fast? http://www.srh.noaa.gov/radar/latest/DS.p20-r/si.kmlb.shtml

loop i saw ran from 8:35pm through 9:40pm may be a rainy Sunday morning if the trend on radar continues...

Troy

Anonymous
Unregistered

#2392 - Sat Aug 31 2002 10:23 PM

Once again this year Colleen knows more than the NHC. Sorry Colleen, I don't mean to offend you but what are your real credentials here?

BillD
User

Reged: Wed
Loc: Miami
Anonymous
      #2393 - Sat Aug 31 2002 10:59 PM

Colleen is a long time member here, and although not everyone agrees with everything she has to say, we respect her opinions.

I object to you asking her to defend her "credentials". Who do you think you are, hiding behind anonymous access? We are not all experts here, and don't claim to be.

The NHC does not always do a stellar job (noone is perfect, and this is an imperfect science to start with) and there are times their forecasts are based more on politics and the fear of causing panic, than on reality. Its too bad the past years of posts got lost, because if you went back several years you would see this is a common issue throughout. We all get frustrated with the NHC at times.

We welcome your opinions, but we don't welcome bashing others for theirs.

Bill

StormHound
Weather Guru

Reged: Sun
Loc: Orlando, FL
Re: Anonymous
      #2394 - Sat Aug 31 2002 11:08 PM

Here, here, Bill!

There are very few professionals on these boards. We're here to share opinions, most of which are wrong. Sometimes we're right and get to pat ourselves on the back. Mostly, we're here just to learn. Go bash someone on another board, we don't do that here.

Good to see you again, Colleen! I haven't been around much this year. I hope to be hanging around more the next several weeks. Things are starting to get interesting.

--------------------
Storm Hound
Computer Geek

MelbDave

Loc: St Petersburg, FL
      #2395 - Sat Aug 31 2002 11:10 PM

Thanks Bill.. We all like Colleen

Troy
Unregistered

#2396 - Sat Aug 31 2002 11:15 PM

Plus if there was ever a dues quota here Coleen has more than fufilled that quota. From the few years i have been coming here she has allways been more than eager to learn.
Plus, I dont really remeber her ( at least in this thread )saying she knew more than the NHC.

anyway..the latest discussion still mentions the chance of 94L becomng an official entity or storm or TD.

Coleen Good- anonymous anticoleen poster Bad

Troy

Joe
Storm Tracker

Loc: St.Petersburg,FL
      #2397 - Sat Aug 31 2002 11:19 PM

Well NHC is holding off on TD advisory. Dolly getting ripped by shear and short term doesn't look good. Also impressive wave moving off africa. Note: this is a place where people come to give their opinions. We are not perfect!

Mitch
Verified CFHC User

Loc: Merritt Island, FL
      #2398 - Sat Aug 31 2002 11:26 PM

Funny, local channel 6 from Orlando just said the low east of FL will be heading North towards the Carolinas. I would think they would be giving a message saying "keep watch" just in case. It still looks to moving westward.

Edited by Mitch (Sat Aug 31 2002 11:28 PM)

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | >> (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 15 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  MikeC, Ed Dunham, danielw 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating: *****
Topic views: 11387

Rate this topic

Jump to

Note: This is NOT an official page. It is run by weather hobbyists and should not be used as a replacement for official sources. 
CFHC's main servers are currently located at
Hostdime.com in Orlando, FL.
Image Server Network thanks to Mike Potts and Amazon Web Services. If you have static file hosting space that allows dns aliasing contact us to help out! Some Maps Provided by:
Great thanks to all who donated and everyone who uses the site as well. Site designed for 800x600+ resolution
When in doubt, take the word of the National Hurricane Center