F
Current Radar or Satellite Image

Flhurricane.com - Central Florida Hurricane Center - Tracking Storms since 1995Hurricanes Without the Hype! Since 1995

The 2024 Atlantic Hurricane Season Begins on June 1st and lasts until Nov 30th. NHC Outlooks resume on May 15th..
Days since last H. Landfall - US: Any 237 (Idalia) , Major: 237 (Idalia) Florida - Any: 237 (Idalia) Major: 237 (Idalia)

News Talkback >> 2002 News Articles and Talkback

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | >> (show all)
garyb
Weather Guru

Reged:
Loc: Hernando Beach,Fl
To my friend Colleen
      #2399 - Sun Sep 01 2002 03:33 AM

Colleen

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Who is Colleen?
I am a graduate student at Colorado State University in Fort Collins, Colorado. My advisor is Dr. Bill Gray, hurricane scientist and world-renowned tropical guru. I'm also a meteorological consultant to CFHC& . In the summers I work at the National Hurricane Center in Miami, Florida.
Besides being a major tropical weather enthusiast, I enjoy tennis, volleyball, and listening to 80s music..

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
troy2
Storm Tracker

Reged:
Loc: cocoa beach
Re: Labor Day Weekend - Action in the Tropics
      #2400 - Sun Sep 01 2002 03:36 AM

makes ya wonder if the local news; Central Florida here, gets pressure from different local Chamber of Commerce b/c of the big $ making weekend. kind of like dont tell em till ya have to.

anyway convection still looking good on 94L
found my login info

Weather Master

Reged:
Loc: W. Central Florida
      #2401 - Sun Sep 01 2002 03:40 AM

I am fairly new to this forum, but one thing that I have learned in a short period of time is that our CREDENTIALS on this site is our opinions. Heck, I could have been bashed a long time ago

Thanks Colleen for all of your opinions!!! (Pinwheel) Toni

--------------------
TONI

All of us could take a lesson from the weather:
It pays no attention to criticism

My 2003 Hurricane guess 13-9-3

damnedcat

Reged:
Loc: Deltona, FL
      #2402 - Sun Sep 01 2002 04:00 AM

A weather newbie here. Can anyone tell me what, if anything, is steering 94L?

Weather Master

Reged:
Loc: W. Central Florida
      #2403 - Sun Sep 01 2002 04:19 AM

YEA, REMEMBER THE MOVIE JAWS!!
PINWHEEL TONI

--------------------
TONI

All of us could take a lesson from the weather:
It pays no attention to criticism

My 2003 Hurricane guess 13-9-3

Steve
Senior Storm Chaser

Reged:
Loc: Metairie, LA
Hey garyb...
      #2404 - Sun Sep 01 2002 06:09 AM

That's all well and good because I respect what you post. But I don't recall her message directed at all to you. And what Colleen posted today was hardly out of line. She served up a generous, and well earned if I don't mind saying so myself, silce of humble pie.

Steve

--------------------
MF'n Super Bowl Champions

Rich B
British Meteorologist

Reged:
Loc: Gloucestershire, England, UK
Re: Hey garyb...
      #2405 - Sun Sep 01 2002 08:21 AM

In defense of Collen, i know we have not always seen eye to eye, but her posts are always good, and she does know what she is on about! I would hate to see her no longer posting cause of some disagreement!

--------------------
Rich B

SkyWarn UK

Cycloneye
Storm Tracker

Reged:
Loc: Puerto Rico
African wave looks impressive
      #2407 - Sun Sep 01 2002 11:35 AM

The african wave that has emerged africa has a 1011 mb at 13n and plenty of convection.Now let's wait and see if this wave will make it all the way into the atlantic behind Dolly that is being sheared apart.

--------------------
My 2004 hurricane season forecast=13/8/3

Anonymous
Unregistered

#2408 - Sun Sep 01 2002 11:43 AM

disturbance near bahamas could rapidly stremgthen looks better and better. wave off africa will also become storm in a few days.

WXMAN RICHIE
Weather Master

Reged:
Loc: Boynton Beach, FL
LOOKS LIKE A GO
      #2409 - Sun Sep 01 2002 11:47 AM

Looks like the storm will crank up today. No shear, convection building and becoming symetrical, warm gulfstream water ahead. Melbourne overnight discussion even mentions threat of rapid intensification possible close to shore on a holiday weekend. STAY AWAKE!!!!

--------------------
Another typical August:
Hurricane activity is increasing and the Red Sox are choking.

Live weather from my backyard:
http://www.wunderground.com/weatherstation/WXDailyHistory.asp?ID=KFLBOYNT4

Anonymous
Unregistered

#2410 - Sun Sep 01 2002 11:59 AM

it could already be a tropical storm. and when it hits gulfsteam look out. rapid strengthning.

k___g
Weather Guru

Reged:
Loc: Leesburg, FL
      #2411 - Sun Sep 01 2002 12:05 PM

looks pretty healthy.....the bouys in the area indicate dropping pressures..........

Jeanine
Weather Watcher

Reged:
Loc: Hollywood, FL
      #2412 - Sun Sep 01 2002 12:29 PM

8:05 TROPICAL WEATHER DISCUSSION: A 1014 MB LOW IS NEAR 29N77W MOVING NW 10 KT. SATELLITE IMAGES
SUGGEST THAT THE AREA IS GETTING BETTER ORGANIZED AND
RECONNAISSANCE WILL INVESTIGATE LATER THIS MORNING. A CLUSTER
OF MODERATE TO STRONG CONVECTION IS WITHIN 90 NM OF 29.5N76W.
WIDELY SCATTERED SHOWERS OVER THE NW BAHAMAS.
JUST CHECKED ALL EAST COAST BOUYS AND NONE OF THEM AT THIS TIME SHOW PRESSURE DROPPING, ALL WERE EITHER RISING OR STEADY THE AREA DOES LOOK ALOT BETTER THAN IT DID YESTERDAY AFTERNOON BUT IT DOES NOT HAVE THE SPIN THAT IT DID YESTERDAY. OF COURSE WE WILL JUST HAVE TO WAIT FOR RECON TO GET A BETTER HANDLE ON THIS SITUATION.

troy2
Storm Tracker

Reged:
Loc: cocoa beach
      #2413 - Sun Sep 01 2002 12:43 PM

It seems more like its just growing in area covered than actually moving NW at 10kt. Melbourne long range radar
http://www.srh.noaa.gov/radar/latest/DS.p20-r/si.kmlb.shtml
is picking it up nicely now.

Jeanine
Weather Watcher

Reged:
Loc: Hollywood, FL
Re:MELBOURNE FORECAST DISCUSSION LINK
      #2414 - Sun Sep 01 2002 12:44 PM

JUST THOUGHT THIS MAKES FOR SOME INTERESTING READING:
http://www.srh.noaa.gov/data/MIA/AFD/MIAAFDMLB.1.txt

tom5r
Weather Watcher

Reged:
Loc: Islamorada, Florida
      #2415 - Sun Sep 01 2002 12:44 PM

After seeing TWC loop I have to agree on the more northerly movement as this system approaches land. I'm gonna go with the Carolinas if it touches land at all. I suppose there is that chance of it sitting off the coast and lurking about for a few days as that seems to be the history with this particular area. Guess we have to wait and see.
Tom

Anonymous
Unregistered

#2416 - Sun Sep 01 2002 12:52 PM

SPECIAL TROPICAL DISTURBANCE STATEMENT
NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE MIAMI FL
815 AM EDT SUN SEP 1 2002

SATELLITE...RADAR...AND SURFACE OBSERVATIONS INDICATE THAT THE
TROPICAL DISTURBANCE LOCATED ABOUT 150 MILES DUE EAST OF CAPE
CANAVERAL FLORIDA HAS BECOME MUCH BETTER ORGANIZED THIS MORNING...
AND A TROPICAL DEPRESSION OR A TROPICAL STORM MAY BE FORMING. THE
SYSTEM IS MOVING SLOWLY WESTWARD AT 7 MPH...BUT A GRADUAL TURN TO
THE WEST-NORTHWEST IS EXPECTED TO OCCUR LATER TODAY.

AN AIR FORCE RESERVE RECONNAISSANCE AIRCRAFT IS ENROUTE TO
INVESTIGATE THE SYSTEM AND SHOULD PROVIDE A BETTER ESTIMATE OF THE
INTENSITY BY ABOUT 11 AM EDT. HOWEVER...ALL INTERESTS ALONG THE
FLORIDA EAST COAST SHOULD CLOSELY MONITOR THE PROGRESS OF THIS
SYSTEM TODAY IN THE EVENT ANY WATCHES OR WARNINGS BECOME NECESSARY.

FORECASTER STEWART

Colleen A.

Reged:
Loc: Florida
Ok, What's This All About?
      #2417 - Sun Sep 01 2002 01:01 PM

My. A lot of fussing going on here about me, and I didn't even know about it.
To the Anonymous poster: I do NOT know more than the NHC. I do, however, have 20/20 vision and I can see well. That "broad area of low pressure" that TWC screwed up yesterday is not moving NW, it's moving WEST. All you have to do is look at the horizontal lines to SEE this. However, the NHC is going with models that are, quite literally, all over the place and have absolutely no credibility...some send it north, then east then back south again. As a matter of fact, most of them do. TWC is a mouthpiece for the NHC, and they will say what the NHC wants them to say....to do anything different would not be kosher. Do you remember Irene? TWC had Jim Cantore in Miami and Mike Sidel in Sarasota and who was getting pounded? MIAMI. They put a LOT of people in danger because schools were not closed, workers were not allowed to go home, etc. People were in their cars driving while the winds were howling in Miami and the NHC still had the system headed towards Sarasota. That was a huge blunder, and it was stupid. You can take all the models in the world and put them to work, but if you cannot use your own eyes and your gut instincts, you're in trouble. I don't have any degrees or fancy plaques with my name on them, but there are two things I WILL do: I will admit when I am wrong, and I will tell you exactly why I am thinking the way I am. I However, if I am RIGHT, I will never say, "I told you so," or "Look how good I am" or "I've been predicting this since the beginning of time." blah blah blah.

To the rest of you who defended me while I was completely unaware of this, LOL: thank you all....Steve, Gary B. was just joking, we have been friends for quite some time. He meant no offense, and I didn't take any.

Now, I still see this thing moving towards the west, even though Steve Lyons is saying NW, we'll see what happens. He's not even telling Florida residents to be on the lookout; he's saying the Carolina's. We shall see.

--------------------
You know you're a hurricane freak when you wake up in the morning and hit "REFRESH" on CFHC instead of the Snooze Button.

Colleen A.

Reged:
Re: LOOKS LIKE A GO
      #2418 - Sun Sep 01 2002 01:08 PM

You're right...the thing that worries me the most is that is will be crossing the gulfstream. And if local mets are not mentioning even a hint of a *possible* landfall, and TWC is saying NW and Carolinas..what happens *if* they are wrong?

I think they will classify it at 11. Then again, I thought that last night, too. *grins*

--------------------
You know you're a hurricane freak when you wake up in the morning and hit "REFRESH" on CFHC instead of the Snooze Button.

Colleen A.

Reged:
SPECIAL TROPICAL DISTURBANCE STATEMENT
      #2419 - Sun Sep 01 2002 01:13 PM

Whoops! I spoke too soon....glad to see they mentioned Florida in there. Now the question is, is the system going to turn WNW or just keep going west? They've been saying NW for the last day....when it was going west.

Is it possible that this area is getting too close to land to intensify to a strong storm? Or are we (if it heads our way) going to be looking at just a strong TS? I really don't know what will happen if/when it crosses the GS.

--------------------

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | >> (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 8 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating: *****
Topic views: 11300

Rate this topic

Jump to

Note: This is NOT an official page. It is run by weather hobbyists and should not be used as a replacement for official sources. 
CFHC's main servers are currently located at
Hostdime.com in Orlando, FL.
Image Server Network thanks to Mike Potts and Amazon Web Services. If you have static file hosting space that allows dns aliasing contact us to help out! Some Maps Provided by:
Great thanks to all who donated and everyone who uses the site as well. Site designed for 800x600+ resolution
When in doubt, take the word of the National Hurricane Center