F
Current Radar or Satellite Image

Flhurricane.com - Central Florida Hurricane Center - Tracking Storms since 1995Hurricanes Without the Hype! Since 1995

The 2024 Atlantic Hurricane Season Begins on June 1st and lasts until Nov 30th. NHC Outlooks resume on May 15th..
Days since last H. Landfall - US: Any 237 (Idalia) , Major: 237 (Idalia) Florida - Any: 237 (Idalia) Major: 237 (Idalia)

News Talkback >> 2002 News Articles and Talkback

Pages: 1 | 2 | >> (show all)
CFHCAdministrator

Reged:
Loc: East Central Florida
Edouard the Meanderer
      #2562 - Mon Sep 02 2002 09:54 PM

Edouard is going to aggrivate us all most of this week while it just meanders willy nilly around our coasts.

Models suggest that it will do a cyclonic loop and head soutwest into North Florida or Georgia. However this won't be for a while. The good news is that there is shear there, and will keep strengthening of the system in check. But the proximity will cause it to remain a concern even in Central Florida for a while. In fact, the tropical storm watch still remains in effect north of Titusville into South Carolina.

The North Central Gulf, right now, is not favorible for development, but soon this may change as well. I don't think much will come of that one personally, but again proximity to land makes us keep watch on it.

Melbourne Radar - Long Range
Jacksonville Radar - Long Range

Dolly still is a fish spinner.

NRL Monterey Marine Meteorology Division Forecast Track of Active Systems (Good Forecast Track Graphic and Satellite Photos)

NASA GHCC Interactive Satellite images at:
North Atlantic Visible (Daytime Only), Infrared, Water Vapor

Some forecast models:
NGM, AVN, MRF, ETA ECMWF

DoD Weather Models (NOGAPS, AVN, MRF)
AVN, ECMWF, GFDL, MM5, NOGAPS, UKMET

Other commentary at Mike Anderson's East Coast Triopical Weather Center, Accuweather's Joe Bastardi, Hurricane City, Gary Gray's Millennium Weather, Barometer Bob's Hurricane Hollow, Snonut, Ed Dunham and Jason M in our Storm Forum Even more on the links page.

- [mike@flhurricane.com]

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
troy2
Storm Tracker

Reged:
Loc: cocoa beach
Re: Edouard the Meanderer
      #2563 - Mon Sep 02 2002 10:01 PM

http://www.nrlmry.navy.mil/tc-bin/tc_home

shows it(edouard) doing the northern loop but moving toward land a bit further south than N Florida/S Georgia

that kind of path would not be good for the shoreline along Flagler Beach. A1A along there is so close to washing out.

troy

Edited by troy2 (Mon Sep 02 2002 10:05 PM)

ShawnS
Storm Tracker

Reged:
Loc: Pearland,Tx
Hey,Steve...
      #2564 - Mon Sep 02 2002 10:22 PM

do you really think something can get going out there? I have my doubts but if you think that it could happen than that is good enough for me. I just think it is one of those situations,again, where there is just not enough time for it to pop because of its closeness to land. Also, the actvity will more than likely die off overnight and it would have to go through the whole process of reforming tomorrow. There isn't enough time for it to keep doing that.

troy2
Storm Tracker

Reged:
Re: Edouard the Meanderer
      #2565 - Mon Sep 02 2002 10:41 PM

http://www.srh.noaa.gov/radar/loop/DS.p20-r/si.kmlb.shtml
someone else take a look at the long range loop and see if looks like it has abit of a south to that east movemnet.
what i was basing it on was the ball of stronger converction that is moving just a hair south of E

troy

Steve
Senior Storm Chaser

Reged:
Loc: Metairie, LA
Re: Hey,Steve...
      #2567 - Mon Sep 02 2002 10:58 PM

>>do you really think something can get going out there? I have my doubts but if you think that it could happen than that is good enough for me. I just think it is one of those situations,again, where there is just not enough time for it to pop because of its closeness to land. Also, the actvity will more than likely die off overnight and it would have to go through the whole process of reforming tomorrow. There isn't enough time for it to keep doing that.

I agree with you about the proximity of land and timing issues, but there will still be something on the surface map by Wed. morning. Whether it's a capital "L" or the smaller, fat one they use for depressions remains to be seen. So it either comes ashore as a TD or it's another wasted landfall for LA/TX (that would be 3 so far this year).

We're supposed to get our fair share of precip tomorrow. Most of the rain today has been south of the city, but still sporadic. At least it LOOKS good with the banding and circular look to everything. I wouldn't be surprised if some areas in TX get 5-10" of rain by Friday. The threat lessens if all of the moisture rides into Louisiana Tomorrow.

Steve

--------------------
MF'n Super Bowl Champions

Cycloneye
Storm Tracker

Reged:
Loc: Puerto Rico
Edouard not going anywhere soon
      #2568 - Mon Sep 02 2002 11:31 PM

Well this storm has made everyone guessing including the folks of the NHC.The steering corrents are light so it wont move much maybe looping around.

Today Dr Grays final 2002 report came out and he again downgraded his forecast to 8/3/1 because he says that el nino will be a key factor as it is going to be moderate he says.The whole report you can read it and judge for yourself if you agre or disagree with it by the way here is the link to his forecast.

http://hurricane.atmos.colostate.edu/forecasts/2002/sep2002/

--------------------
My 2004 hurricane season forecast=13/8/3

ShawnS
Storm Tracker

Reged:
Loc: Pearland,Tx
Re: Edouard not going anywhere soon
      #2569 - Mon Sep 02 2002 11:34 PM

The NRL page doesn't even show an invest on the activity in the gulf yet. That should tell us something about the chances of it doing anything.

troy2
Storm Tracker

Reged:
squashed spider
      #2570 - Mon Sep 02 2002 11:36 PM

http://www.hurricanealley.net/mdltrpatlt02.html

models starting to look like a squashed spider again...

Weather Master

Reged:
Loc: W. Central Florida
Re: squashed spider
      #2571 - Tue Sep 03 2002 12:16 AM

So let's say that ED wants to take a trip farther into the Atlantic as some of the models are indicating. What could be the end result?

Give me something to think about guys! At this point the Atlantic sounds better than pointing directly at me. Toni

--------------------
TONI

All of us could take a lesson from the weather:
It pays no attention to criticism

My 2003 Hurricane guess 13-9-3

HanKFranK
User

Reged:
Loc: Graniteville, SC
answer west?
      #2572 - Tue Sep 03 2002 12:18 AM

trying to figure out what edouard is going to do is sort of a pot shot. the depth of the storm at any particular time, paired with dry air entrainment and subtle changes in the flow around the storm are tough call variables.. but the consensus has center more around a looping meander for the meanwhile and then back to the west. this i can buy. however, with the slow movement shear and upwelling will be the big threats to the storm here. hard to see much intensification, unless the GFDL is for once seeing and not exaggerating wildly.
back towards the coast somewhere between brunswick and daytona seems reasonable enough, though i realize this is around 150 miles of coastline, and the storm is only 200 or so away. hit timetable is within 12 hours of 9pm thursday, best guess. intensity 50 to 60kt. should the storm drop sw then it could be much stronger... though seems less likely at this point.
upstream changes are another concern. the disturbance south of louisiana has ridging aloft aided by the upper low to its SW, and an exit jet going straight at edouard. this jet is all that stands between edouard and the coast, as it is keeping the storm checked. should the gulf system try to develop this jet could consequently further impede edouard. bastardi sees some potential here, though it lacks concentrated deep convection. might try some late hour development off the texas coast tomorrow or wednesday.
still not as convinced of dolly's neat recurvature as others, think that the shear will decouple the system. the inter-trough disturbed weather to the north near bermuda is looking lively, by the way, as models earlier forecast. dead dolly may mean another live system up there.
the summer noreaster off jersey would be a tropical storm had it developed faster. if it develops a deep convection core maybe a subtrop.
invest came on the system that emerged from africa, but d numbers have dropped. NRL wasnt showing this invest, but ssd had it pegged. convection went out the door though, so no early development here. system out ahead at 35w doesnt look as good either, but may try something just east of the islands in dolly's wake in just a couple of days. whatever comes behind dolly is going to be trouble.
whatever happened to the carib wave, i wonder. lost its mojo, not looking feisty at all. just have to monitor for it possibly coming back.
HF TLH 0012z03september

Hurric
Weather Guru

Reged:
Loc: Port St. Lucie, Fl
Re: answer west?
      #2573 - Tue Sep 03 2002 12:37 AM

I think its a crapshoot trying to guess Ed's movements. Happy to have something of interest to be tracking this weekend.

At this time experiencing strong Thunderstorm with heavy rain, gusty winds, and some wicked Litening.
I am in Port St. Lucie which is just south of Fort PIerce on this radar link from Melbourne.
The squall line extends NE up to Ed. Thinking this will be about the most We'll be seeing of him down this way.
http://www.srh.noaa.gov/radar/loop/DS.p20-r/si.kmlb.shtml

Happy tracking
Hurric

Edited by Hurric (Tue Sep 03 2002 12:43 AM)

Anonymous
Unregistered

Re: answer west?
      #2574 - Tue Sep 03 2002 01:26 AM

How much should we read into the GFDL, is Palm Coast in Eds path?

HanKFranK
User

Reged:
missed one
      #2575 - Tue Sep 03 2002 02:10 AM

add another mitigator: subsidence. the upper shortwave has gone by to the north, but the dry air slot following the upper trough is going to choke edouard while shear smears it. there is a lot of subsidence, by the way. even if this doesnt kill edouard outright, will probably push the storm east a good bit. after a day or so things should get better.
HF 0207z03september

Alan
Unregistered

GFDL Flip Flop
      #2576 - Tue Sep 03 2002 02:50 AM

Now the GFDL is having it enter north of Jacksonville, Exiting around Appalachacola and then moving west about 50-100 miles off shore.
In other words, only the shadow knows.

Alan
Unregistered

Re: GFDL
      #2577 - Tue Sep 03 2002 02:59 AM

And while the GFDL switches North, the NHC moves it slightly south.

Anonymous
Unregistered

#2579 - Tue Sep 03 2002 03:46 AM

18z GFDL most ominous to date. I'm dying to see what it's gonna do tomorrow.

Steve

HanKFranK
User

Reged:
      #2580 - Tue Sep 03 2002 04:09 AM

thinking maybe the center will have to work its way south for the storm to survive, kinda develop towards where the convection can stablilize it. there is a narrow ridge axis not 200 miles south of the current position... thats the only fix i see for edouard. so yeah, florida problem or nobody's problem.
pesky area between the yucatan and louisiana might become a home grown problem by wednesday.
HF 0405z03september

Anonymous
Unregistered

Hey Shawn, Jason M. and Frank P... The Professional gUlfers...
      #2581 - Tue Sep 03 2002 04:20 AM

http://www.accuweather.com/adcbin/video_index.asp

Click on the "Dance of Edouard" by Bastardi. Food for thought. Neither did I get my original Gulf idea from this week from Bastardi nor did I get the 2x FL Landfall potential from GFDL. Calls out the ether. Anyway, this one is for us. We get left out all the time, but the presentation of this video should remind us all that we need to watch. The Gulf is ripe if anything is there.

Steve

Anonymous
Unregistered

Hey HankFrank...
      #2582 - Tue Sep 03 2002 04:22 AM

I know you explained this to me once, but you're at FSU, right? My younger brother is a grad of FSU. Our whole family are Noles fans. Tally is a cool place. There are all kinds of 1-3 hour MUST road cruises. Itchatucknee Springs, Lake Seminole, St. George.

Don't I wish.

Steve

Anonymous
Unregistered

Eduoard...
      #2584 - Tue Sep 03 2002 11:25 AM

Ed is a bit more menacing tihs morning. TPC has taken a N jog out of the official forecast and brings Ed over NE or C FL as a TS about the same intensity. New GFDL run continues trend of dual landfall.

Gulf looks better than ever. It almost looks baroclinical in the way the convection is coming into LA, but I don't think it rained much here overnight. In any event, trend for increase continues. I still am thinking "L" on the map by tomorrow, and probably a few inches of rain in parts of TX. Maybe 2-3 in some parts of LA today. NDBC is down at the moment, and I haven't checked the NWS radar to see what's actually happening in the way of precip.

Steve

Pages: 1 | 2 | >> (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 5 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 8153

Rate this topic

Jump to

Note: This is NOT an official page. It is run by weather hobbyists and should not be used as a replacement for official sources. 
CFHC's main servers are currently located at
Hostdime.com in Orlando, FL.
Image Server Network thanks to Mike Potts and Amazon Web Services. If you have static file hosting space that allows dns aliasing contact us to help out! Some Maps Provided by:
Great thanks to all who donated and everyone who uses the site as well. Site designed for 800x600+ resolution
When in doubt, take the word of the National Hurricane Center