F
Current Radar or Satellite Image

Flhurricane.com - Central Florida Hurricane Center - Tracking Storms since 1995Hurricanes Without the Hype! Since 1995

Chill falls over the Atlantic as the official season heads towards close
Days since last H. Landfall - US: Any 211 (Idalia) , Major: 211 (Idalia) Florida - Any: 211 (Idalia) Major: 211 (Idalia)
None
COMMUNICATION
STORM DATA
CONTENT
FOLLOW US
ADS
Login to remove ads

News Talkback >> 2002 News Articles and Talkback

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | >> (show all)
Anonymous
Unregistered

Hey Kevin!
      #2724 - Wed Sep 04 2002 04:13 PM

You getting excited?

Steve

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Kevin
Weather Master

Reged: Fri
Loc: EC Florida
Also...
      #2725 - Wed Sep 04 2002 04:15 PM

NWS forecast discussion in Miami indicated something that the Melbourne one didn't indicate: A flood watch in being is issued for portions of SOFLA at this time and Melbourne is likely going to put up a flood watch for all of ECF at 5:00 PM. A wait and see thing.

Looks like this storm is going to be a bit more intense than some expect. Could even surprise a few given its current organization.

Weather in southwest Semionle County, Florida
Mostly Cloudly
Winds gusting to 15 mph
No recent rain
RE Steve: Yes, I'm getting a bit excited over what may occur tonight.
Kevin

caneman
Unregistered

Re: Also...
      #2726 - Wed Sep 04 2002 04:23 PM

Agree, Kevin definite flooding potential. Waiting on it over here in Tampa area to see what comes. Hope it doesn't stall over state or in East GOM. WOW, did you see the blowup of convection?

Rasvar
Weather Master

Loc: Tallahassee, Fl
Re: Also...
      #2727 - Wed Sep 04 2002 04:25 PM

Melbourne had it in there, just lost in a large discussion:

"WITH THE OVERALL SLOW MOTION OF THIS SYSTEM...FAVORED UPPER LEVEL
FORCING...AND HIGH MOISTURE PROGGED TO RETURN...HAVE DECIDED THAT A
FLOOD WATCH IS NECESSARY...ESPECIALLY GIVEN THAT THE ST JOHNS RIVER
IS NEAR BANKFULL IN SEVERAL LOCATIONS. "

This is going to be a rain dumper on central Florida. Hopefully, it will hit the areas that can handle it with drainage. I'm a little worried. Saw my road flood in a deluge a few days ago. Ditches are very slow to drop right now. Not sure how much they can handle. Hoping to get no more then 5" of rain out of this max. These slow movers can be killers. The UKMET worries me. If Ed stalls out over Central Florida for a bit before backing out over the Atlantic or passing into the Gulf, it could be boat time in Central Florida.

--------------------
Jim

Floridacane
Weather Guru

Reged: Sat
Loc: Palm Bay, Florida
Re: Hey Kevin!
      #2728 - Wed Sep 04 2002 04:30 PM

I'm not excited. We don't need anymore rain, and it's getting very ominous here in Southern Brevard. The skies are starting to get ugly, but at least there aren't any winds.

--------------------
What's brewin' everyone?
Lori

Anonymous
Unregistered

Re: complications
      #2729 - Wed Sep 04 2002 04:37 PM

OK, is it my imagination (yes) or has edie's center opened up into a broader circulation. If you look at the western bands that are inland, it looks as if they've stalled (not making westward progress). Could Eddie stall just before landfall?? Cheers! Steve H.

caneman
Unregistered

#2730 - Wed Sep 04 2002 04:42 PM

Is it that or did it open up at landfall. Eddie may be dead. What a trooper he has been though.

Anonymous
Unregistered

Re: Look out Central Florida (where I live!)
      #2731 - Wed Sep 04 2002 04:54 PM

I live on N. Merritt Island (a few miles exactly due west of the cape) and we have been getting pounded. Thunder and lots of rain...

Anonymous
Unregistered

#2732 - Wed Sep 04 2002 04:58 PM

Nope...there is still a circulation..it is broad..it is kamking progress to the west, or just south of west, heavy weather along the coast in the Brevard county area...actual center still just off shore...my question is , nd these weak systems do strange things, will the center try to pull it self under the big cloud mass to the south? it looks like the jet that has been over it has shifted west, but still shear from n to south.

Floridacane
Weather Guru

Loc: Palm Bay, Florida
      #2733 - Wed Sep 04 2002 05:00 PM

I live in Melbourne, and it has definitely started to get active here. Rain, some gusty winds,lightning etc. I have a feeling its gonna be a long, rainy yucky night!!!
Hope everyone stays dry. Good night to stay home with family and play board games!!

--------------------
What's brewin' everyone?
Lori

Mary K.
Weather Guru

Reged: Sun
      #2734 - Wed Sep 04 2002 05:01 PM

So far Eddie looks no more threatening than our usual afternoon variety summer thunderstorms. The winds and rain from those types of storms can be rather exciting for a few hours. 5 inches in all this sand is not a lot of rain. However, for the rivers that are full it could get pretty ugly. The frames that are being shown on the weather channel do not look like Eddie has officially made landfall yet.

--------------------
weather is all you can count on, good or bad.

Steve777

Loc: St. Cloud FL
      #2735 - Wed Sep 04 2002 05:24 PM

Its been pouring here in St cloud for 30 minutes now yahoooooo gusts and bad lightning too bring it on Steve

WXMAN RICHIE
Weather Master

Reged: Mon
Loc: Boynton Beach, FL
FLOOD WARNING
      #2736 - Wed Sep 04 2002 05:32 PM

FLOOD WARNING FOR...
BREVARD COUNTY
IN EAST CENTRAL FLORIDA

* UNTIL 630 PM EDT

* AT 427 PM EDT...WEATHER SERVICE DOPPLER RADAR INDICATED HEAVY RAIN BANDS FROM TROPICAL STORM EDOUARD MOVING ACROSS BREVARD COUNTY FROM
TITUSVILLE TO MELBOURNE. THESE THUNDERSTORMS WILL MOVE SOUTH AT 10 MPH AND CONTINUE TO PRODUCE RAINFALL RATES OF UP TO 3 INCHES IN AN HOUR THROUGH 630 PM.

--------------------
Another typical August:
Hurricane activity is increasing and the Red Sox are choking.

Live weather from my backyard:
http://www.wunderground.com/weatherstation/WXDailyHistory.asp?ID=KFLBOYNT4

WXMAN RICHIE
Weather Master

Loc: Boynton Beach, FL
FLOODING
      #2737 - Wed Sep 04 2002 05:49 PM

Melbourne flood statement mentions 2"-4" of rain from the storm with some areas getting over 4". The new flood warning mentions getting 3" of rain in just the next hour. They better up their grand totals by alot more. Miami is even mentioning areas in South Florida will get 3"-5" with some getting up to 8".

--------------------
Another typical August:
Hurricane activity is increasing and the Red Sox are choking.

Live weather from my backyard:
http://www.wunderground.com/weatherstation/WXDailyHistory.asp?ID=KFLBOYNT4

Kevin
Weather Master

Loc: EC Florida
Weather now in SW Seminole County, Florida
      #2738 - Wed Sep 04 2002 06:00 PM

Partly Cloudy, rapidly transitioned to cloudy
Winds gusting to 10 mph
Squal possibly approaching from north (as seen on radar)
Notes: 10-15 minutes of partly cloudy skies and no winds at all. It was PERFECTLY calm! However, in the last 5 minutes or so the sky has clouded up and the winds have began gusting to 10 mph again. I expect the first squall within 30 minutes to an hour. Rain core still looks to go dead straight through Central Florida in the next 3-10 hours depending on speed and motion.

Tropical depression also forming GOMEX. Should be classified tomorrow afternoon. Could be a moderate tropical storm, greatly depending on how it moves.

Kevin

Frank P
Veteran Storm Chaser

Probabilities update
      #2739 - Wed Sep 04 2002 06:05 PM

Interesting to see that the probabilities are slightly increasing for the northern gulf coast in 72 hours out... several days ago Gulfport was at only 2 now its at 10... at the 5pm update probabilities were slightly decreasing towards the east and slighly increasing to the west...

Hey Steve, maybe this one has New Orleans as its target.... still has quite a battle to face with shear and land crossing but hey, could this be the storm the GFDL got right... so far its been relatively close...

the problem with a storm running parallel close to the coast is that it could go inland at any time... so if the system does make it to the GOM and develops... probabilities won't really mean diddily squat.... cause it could strike anywere from PC to NO.. stay tuned gangbecause the excitement in the GOM might be right around the corner...

HanKFranK
User

Loc: Graniteville, SC
another slowdown
      #2740 - Wed Sep 04 2002 06:18 PM

edouard's center has broken out of its earlier westward rush, now drifting sw. change in speed/direction probably in response to the convection blowing up over central florida. best i can tell at this time the center is just north or northeast of daytona beach. pressure there is down to 1010mb, winds out of the west. system will probably take all day to cross the state tomorrow. maybe longer. chance it will survive the crossing maybe 60%. remains to be told if the pulsing convection will continue over land.
nw gulf low 96L still broad and disorganized. low level convergence and conditions aloft are locked in support mode.. all that has to happen is for a low center to take over.
95L is passing north of the disturbance it has been tailing. throwing some spotty convection in on some of its bands. should increase as the system crosses over warmer waters, though shear is never going to fully relax.
system to the south is unchanged, drifting west. may begin to organize tomorrow now as 95L moves away.
HF 2214z04september

Mary K.
Weather Guru

Reged: Sun
Re: Weather now in SW Seminole County, Florida
      #2741 - Wed Sep 04 2002 06:20 PM

Polk County
Raining started at 6 pm and thunder with wind gusts exceeding 10 mph at times. Nothing different than our usual so far...

--------------------
weather is all you can count on, good or bad.

Chad
Verified CFHC User

Loc: Citrus County, Fla.
Re: Weather now in SW Seminole County, Florida
      #2742 - Wed Sep 04 2002 06:36 PM

N. Citrus cnty...20 miles inland from Cedar Key...
Calm mostly, squall line an hour ago dropped 1/2".

I see the NWS probabilities give Cedar Key the highest # for where Ed. may emerge into the Gulf.
It *looks* like it could go farther south.

I think I better drop the pool a couple inches!

--------------------
Chad

Anonymous
Unregistered

#2743 - Wed Sep 04 2002 06:42 PM

ed will be gone thursday gulf storm shear will never never let hem do any thing and the gulf storm will do like all the others be to close to land and kill ed the storm that could have been but we have football

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | >> (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 15 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  MikeC, Ed Dunham, danielw 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating: ****
Topic views: 22314

Rate this topic

Jump to

Note: This is NOT an official page. It is run by weather hobbyists and should not be used as a replacement for official sources. 
CFHC's main servers are currently located at
Hostdime.com in Orlando, FL.
Image Server Network thanks to Mike Potts and Amazon Web Services. If you have static file hosting space that allows dns aliasing contact us to help out! Some Maps Provided by:
Great thanks to all who donated and everyone who uses the site as well. Site designed for 800x600+ resolution
When in doubt, take the word of the National Hurricane Center