F
Current Radar or Satellite Image

Flhurricane.com - Central Florida Hurricane Center - Tracking Storms since 1995Hurricanes Without the Hype! Since 1995

Chill falls over the Atlantic as the official season heads towards close
Days since last H. Landfall - US: Any 232 (Idalia) , Major: 232 (Idalia) Florida - Any: 232 (Idalia) Major: 232 (Idalia)
None
COMMUNICATION
STORM DATA
CONTENT
FOLLOW US
ADS
Login to remove ads

News Talkback >> 2002 News Articles and Talkback

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | >> (show all)
Ronn
User

Reged: Thu
Loc: Seminole, FL
Re: My way of thinking...
      #327 - Fri May 24 2002 01:26 PM

I finally got a chance to view some visible imagery and the low is definitely moving west. Easterly surface winds are steering the low center because it has not developed vertically enough to be influenced by upper level winds. Any mid level center will be pushed east, with the low level center pushed west. This won't allow for the vertical stacking necessary for development. Plus, the low center is moving directly into very dry air as seen on water vapor imagery. Doesn't look too good for development. We'll have to see how much the shear diminishes and if the low survives.

Ronn

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
HURRICANELONNY
Weather Guru

Reged: Sat
Loc: HOLLYWOOD,FL.
Re:STORM
      #328 - Fri May 24 2002 01:35 PM

There's a storm brewing between May 29 and Nov 30. That's about the accuracy of the models. Your better off watching Saturday mornings cartoons. The animation is better and they make you laugh harder. Anyways. Will a low form down there? Most likely. When is anybody's guess......

Frank P
Veteran Storm Chaser

Reged: Mon
Re:STORM
      #329 - Fri May 24 2002 02:50 PM

System looking pathetic at the moment... Can discern broad LLC on the latest vis loop but its so weak and diffused, and has absolutely no convection associated with it... I estimate the center to be around 17.7N and 84.7W, if its even possible to get a fix on such a broad center... system appears to be moving very slowing west as best I can tell... the system has some significant hurdles to overcome in the next day or so if something is going to develop.

Hey, what ya expect, the season has not even started yet... still spring training for the tropics I guess...
If this becomes Authur, and that's a big IF, it certainly won't be no King to start off the season...

Steve
Senior Storm Chaser

Reged: Wed
Loc: Metairie, LA
Hey Frank P...
      #330 - Fri May 24 2002 03:00 PM

Don't know if you caught Bastardi's column today, but he had this to say about the next 1-2 weeks:

>>This means that we have a window of a couple of weeks as this trof backs up to watch for things like this and so the idea the MRF has that we may have to watch again, further west( more central gulf than northwest Caribbean to near Florida as now) may not be bad. It is all part of the cycling we are in.

Maybe we'll get a little TD or TS taste. God knows I could use the rain here in Metairie.

Steve

--------------------
MF'n Super Bowl Champions

Frank P
Veteran Storm Chaser

Steve
      #331 - Fri May 24 2002 03:22 PM

What Joe B. says sounds logical, now if it pans out remains to be seen...
New Orleans about 12 inches below normal in the rain department so I know you guys need some pretty bad... Same over on MS coast but not quite as bad... A little TD or TS could certainly help out in making up the deficit...

Mother Nature has a way of balancing things out doesn't she, so nothing surprises me anymore

Ronn
User

Loc: Seminole, FL
Re: Action in the Tropics
      #332 - Fri May 24 2002 05:37 PM

The Caribbean low is still looking pathetic on satellite imagery and I don't think it is going to survive. Its slight westward movement has moved it even closer to hostile conditions and less of a chance of ever having more favorable upper level conditions for development. Abundant dry air is now consuming it.

Southwest wind shear will continue for at least another 72 hours as the trough remains fairly potent and an active subtropical jet continues across the Gulf of Mexico. If any development occurs in the Caribbean, I'm inclined to think it will be another separately formed low along the tail end of the surface front over Cuba...a hybrid system. This is what the models are forecasting. This system will accelerate in the southwest flow and be kicked out by a shortwave exiting the southeast U.S. coast early next week. In this case, Florida would experience an increase in wind, but not rain since the state would be on the dry side with subsiding air.

The hybrid scenario appears the most likely, with Florida getting only an increase in wind. Conditions are simply too hostile for the current low to develop.

Ronn

Anonymous
Unregistered

#333 - Fri May 24 2002 05:49 PM

SATELLITE IMAGES INDICATE THAT THE AREA OF DISTURBED WEATHER SOUTH-
SOUTHWEST OF ACAPULCO HAS DEVELOPED ENOUGH DEEP CONVECTION AND
CIRCULATION TO BE CLASSIFIED AS A TROPICAL DEPRESSION. THIS IS A
SUCCESS FOR THE GLOBAL MODELS...WHICH HAVE BEEN INSISTING ON
TROPICAL CYCLONE FORMATION IN THIS AREA FOR THE PAST FEW DAYS.

THE LOW-LEVEL CENTER APPEARS TO BE UNDER THE CONVECTION. THE
UPPER-LEVEL OUTFLOW IS FAIR TO THE WEST AND THERE MAY BE SOME
NORTHEASTERLY SHEAR OVER THE SYSTEM AT THIS TIME. HOWEVER...THE NCEP
GLOBAL MODEL AMPLIFIES THE UPPER-LEVEL RIDGE AND BECAUSE THE
DEPRESION IS MOVING OVER WARM WATERS...A GRADUAL STRENGTHENING IS
INDICATED. THIS IN AGREEMENT WITH THE SHIPS INTENSITY FORECAST
MODEL.

THE INITIAL MOTION IS UNCERTAIN BUT THE BEST ESTIMATE IS 295/04. A
NARROW MID-LEVEL RIDGE TO THE NORTH OF THE CYCLONE WILL KEEP THE
SYSTEM ON A SLOW WEST-NORTHWEST TRACK THROUGH 72 HOURS...WELL TO THE
SOUTH OF MEXICO. AN AMPLIFICATION OF THE RIDGE MAY FORCE THE
CYCLONE ON A MORE WESTWARD TRACK BEYOND 3 DAYS.

FORECASTER AVILA

FORECAST POSITIONS AND MAX WINDS

INITIAL 24/2100Z 11.6N 101.5W 30 KTS
12HR VT 25/0600Z 11.8N 102.2W 35 KTS
24HR VT 25/1800Z 12.0N 103.0W 40 KTS
36HR VT 26/0600Z 12.5N 104.0W 45 KTS
48HR VT 26/1800Z 13.0N 105.0W 55 KTS
72HR VT 27/1800Z 13.5N 106.5W 65 KTS

Rich B
British Meteorologist

Loc: Gloucestershire, England, UK
      #334 - Fri May 24 2002 05:52 PM

Well i see from NHC's Tropical Wx Discussion that as the Trough and Front head east the convection is expected to become more concentrated over the NW Caribbean, in the approximate region where our very weak and poorly organised low is, but where computer models indicate development unanimously over the next few days. Defintely something to watch, even if it looks like the thing is on the brink of death at the moment.

On a side note, TD 1E has developed in the East Pacific, a good strong looking Depression, and forecast to strengthen. Also, i do like the new Graphics NHC are using, especially indicating the Storms current location, forecast track of the centre, and potential range of the track too...

Rich

StormWarn2000

--------------------
Rich B

SkyWarn UK

Frank P
Veteran Storm Chaser

Looking more to the east
      #335 - Fri May 24 2002 08:50 PM

The convection and any development in the NW Carribean is about done and I just don't see how it could survive... Need to focus more to the east.

All the action tonight appears to be developing well to the east of the area we were watching the past 36 hours. Significant convection is developing SW, SE and E of Jamaca. No vis sat loop avaiable so not sure if this is all just mid to upper level convection. Try to get some local weather obs to see if we can detect any counter clockwise wind field...

Must be really bored tonight huh? Hunting for surface observations.... hehe

Anonymous
Unregistered

nothing yet
      #336 - Fri May 24 2002 09:17 PM

pretty rough weather in kingston jamaica just now. broad area of low pressure in the area still with some convective bursts mostly to the east. it still has the look of a trouble spot and can still give us something if the shear lets up. the models arent changing their tune.
if the eastpac depression starts to intensify its outflow jet may affect what happens with our caribbean system.. just how i dont know. could be that MJO set off the eastpac system and could turn the switch on in the atlantic too.

Frank P
Veteran Storm Chaser

Agree
      #337 - Fri May 24 2002 09:27 PM

Kingston reporting rain squalls with southeast winds at 33 mph and pressure at 1011 and falling... This was the lowest pressure reading I could find in the area.

Guantanamo Bay Cuba has east winds at 10 mph.

Ship report north of Cuba and GB at 21.0 and 74.2 has ENE winds at 13 knots

Haiti also has east winds at 12 mph

Could not find any data observations south or west of the area of convection. Still looking for some west winds on the bottom side of convection...

houstontraker
Unregistered

#338 - Fri May 24 2002 10:00 PM

I was looking at the 24/1800z run of the GFDL for the Eastpac TD and noticed that it was showing a system developing south of Cuba between Jamaica and Grand Cayman. It took the system northward along the east coast of Florida to about Jacksonville then turns it southwestward over Florida towards the GOM.

wxman007
Meteorologist

Loc: Tuscaloosa, AL
      #340 - Sat May 25 2002 01:08 AM

Geeze...you guys are quick!

Hello again from PCB...looking forward to a busy year!

--------------------
Jason Kelley

Rich B
British Meteorologist

#341 - Sat May 25 2002 05:29 AM

Well convection has increased around the location of the weak 1009 mb low near the coast of Honduras... but any organisation is very poor, and until visible imagery is available it is difficult to tell. However, i still think there is a possibility of development in this region during the next few days. Whether this low we have been watching develops, or whether something develops from the disturbance near jamaica i would not like to say . I just find it interesting that an invest is still in force for the Honduras low, and all the models continue to indicate development. Will continue to keep watching this general area for a day or two yet.

Rich

StormWarn2000

--------------------
Rich B

SkyWarn UK

Rich B
British Meteorologist

#342 - Sat May 25 2002 05:35 AM

Ah ha! I just looked at the 06Z Surface Analysis and something interesting showed up! The Analysis indicates the Honduras Low (our old friend the weak and poorly organised Disturbance 90L) on the coast of Honduras at 1010 mb, but forecasts it to move to near Jamaica (current location of most of the Convection) and deepens it just 1mb to 1009mb

Well if the low really does relocate to the area of convection, and does deepen just 1mb it indicates there remains a possibility of further development. Perhaps this is what the models have been picking up on! Now i really will be watching!

Rich

StormWarn2000

--------------------
Rich B

SkyWarn UK

Rad
Weather Guru

Loc: St. Pete Fl. {27.8N 82.7W}
      #343 - Sat May 25 2002 07:45 AM

Hey Jason , Welcome back !!

--------------------
RIDE 2 LIVE 2 RIDE

Frank P
Veteran Storm Chaser

Mr. Kelly
      #345 - Sat May 25 2002 11:07 AM

Jason

Great to know that you'll be around again this season on the board. Several topics back you were the subject of some complementary posts... deservingly so I might add...

Although I apologize that I couldn't remember your name, but more importantly, I remembered your excellent observations and forcasts from last year... Heck I'll be turning a half a century next month, I'm just glad I can still find my way home from work every day...

Frank P
Veteran Storm Chaser

Hard to figure
      #346 - Sat May 25 2002 11:36 AM

Looking at the latest vis and IR sat pixs this morning and trying to figure out what's going on is challenging at best.

Still some significant convection off Jamaica, with Kingston having a BP of 1012, (steady) with SE winds at 13 mph. Guantanamo Bay Cuba has north winds at 8, pressure 1012.

We also have some buildup of convection off the coast of Nicaragua this morning. NRL is still tracking this area as 90L invest.

What ever the heck happens, if anything, is going to take some time apparently, as some of the models have suggested the past day or so... Models... hmmmmmm nuff said

Edited by Frank P (Sat May 25 2002 11:38 AM)

Rich B
British Meteorologist

Re: Hard to figure
      #347 - Sat May 25 2002 11:46 AM

Interestingly NHC have dropped their Special Tropical Disturbance Statement...

Sat pix are interesting today, but it is all very messy, and needs to get organised for much to happen.

Rich

StormWarn2000

--------------------
Rich B

SkyWarn UK

Cynthia
Unregistered

#348 - Sat May 25 2002 11:51 AM

WONT41 KNHC 251515
DSAAT
SPECIAL TROPICAL DISTURBANCE STATEMENT
NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE MIAMI FL
1130 AM EDT FRI MAY 24 2002

SATELLITE IMAGES AND SURFACE OBSERVATIONS INDICATE THAT THE BROAD
AREA OF LOW PRESSURE IN THE WESTERN CARIBBEAN SEA HAS NOT DEVELOPED
AS ANTICIPATED. THE WEAK AREA OF MINIMUM PRESSURE APPEARS TO BE
LOCATE OVER THE EASTERN TIP OF HONDURAS ACCOMPANIED BY CLOUDINESS
AND THUNDERSTORMS..EXTENDING FROM CENTRAL AMERICA THROUGH JAMAICA...
EASTERN CUBAN AND HISPANIOLA.

BECAUSE AVAILABLE COMPUTER MODELS INSIST OF THE DEVELOPMENT OF A LOW
PRESSURE SYSTEM...THIS AREA WILL CONTINUE TO BE CLOSELY MONITORED.
HOWEVER...THIS WILL BE THE LAST STATEMENT ON THIS WEATHER SYSTEM
UNLESS A SIGNIFICANT CHANGE OCCURS.

FORECASTER AVILA

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | >> (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 55 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  MikeC, Ed Dunham, danielw 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating: *****
Topic views: 19394

Rate this topic

Jump to

Note: This is NOT an official page. It is run by weather hobbyists and should not be used as a replacement for official sources. 
CFHC's main servers are currently located at
Hostdime.com in Orlando, FL.
Image Server Network thanks to Mike Potts and Amazon Web Services. If you have static file hosting space that allows dns aliasing contact us to help out! Some Maps Provided by:
Great thanks to all who donated and everyone who uses the site as well. Site designed for 800x600+ resolution
When in doubt, take the word of the National Hurricane Center