F
Current Radar or Satellite Image

Flhurricane.com - Central Florida Hurricane Center - Tracking Storms since 1995Hurricanes Without the Hype! Since 1995

The 2024 Atlantic Hurricane Season Begins on June 1st and lasts until Nov 30th. NHC Outlooks resume on May 15th..
Days since last H. Landfall - US: Any 237 (Idalia) , Major: 237 (Idalia) Florida - Any: 237 (Idalia) Major: 237 (Idalia)

News Talkback >> 2002 News Articles and Talkback

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | >> (show all)
John C
Unregistered

Fay Dies, TD#7 Forms
      #2888 - Sat Sep 07 2002 06:10 PM

Tropical Depression Fay has died out over Texas, and the tropics elsewhere remain active, yet so does shear.

Tropical Depression 7 has formed in the Central Atlantic (fairly far north), and heading northwest. Not a threat to land.

Other areas include a wave in the eastern Atlantic that faces a great deal of shear, nevertheless development is possible.

FInally an area in the southern Bahamas can be considered the most immediate potential headache. It has fairly good potential for development over the next few days, I don't expect this one to move fast. Shear exists in the area too, and lightens up a tiny bit later on this weekend.

NRL Monterey Marine Meteorology Division Forecast Track of Active Systems (Good Forecast Track Graphic and Satellite Photos)

NASA GHCC Interactive Satellite images at:
North Atlantic Visible (Daytime Only), Infrared, Water Vapor

Some forecast models:
NGM, AVN, MRF, ETA ECMWF

DoD Weather Models (NOGAPS, AVN, MRF)
AVN, ECMWF, GFDL, MM5, NOGAPS, UKMET

Other commentary at Mike Anderson's East Coast Tropical Weather Center, Accuweather's Joe Bastardi, Hurricane City, Gary Gray's Millennium Weather, Barometer Bob's Hurricane Hollow, Snonut, Ed Dunham and Jason M in our Storm Forum Even more on the links page.
- [mike@flhurricane.com]

Edited by Ed Dunham (Sat Sep 07 2002 11:45 PM)

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Anonymous
Unregistered

Hey Kevin...
      #2890 - Sat Sep 07 2002 06:40 PM

>>training bands haven't been all that numerous there as some have said here. Somebody will get waterlogged bigtime...but it doesn't look like Houston.

They got lucky. When the main blob of convection moved into the UT Coast, there were three or four trainig lines that didn't stay with the system. The main feed is east of me. The moral is that Fay could have been disasterous if she was tapping her moisture from closer in. As it was, there are three 18-20" spots, and at least 1 20+ just offshore. Coastal TX residents should consider themselves pretty lucky.

Steve

ShawnS
Storm Tracker

Reged:
Loc: Pearland,Tx
Scott & Steve
      #2891 - Sat Sep 07 2002 07:18 PM

Scott, one suggestion, before you get on here and pat yourself on the back, AGAIN, try and learn how to spell the cities correctly.... it is GALVESTON, not GALVESTIN. My gosh, it's even on the front page of this site for you.

Steve, we may not be done with the rain after all. I've seen some of the local mets who say all the stuff in the gulf right now, which some of it is remains of our buddy Eddie, could roll in here tonight and tomorrow. I'm not buying it just yet, but I guess it could happen.

Anonymous
Unregistered

Hey Scott
      #2892 - Sat Sep 07 2002 08:52 PM

You said earlier this week this TC near the bahamas was gonna head west across the Florida peninsula under the huge ridge, then into the GOM. I'm disappointed. Steve H. PS: WHat happened to the ridge?

Cycloneye
Storm Tracker

Reged:
Loc: Puerto Rico
97L will be the biggest threat to the US
      #2893 - Sat Sep 07 2002 09:33 PM

This developing system will be if all conditions are right a cane but I am jumping so quick on a system that is not even classified but all signs point for that.

--------------------
My 2004 hurricane season forecast=13/8/3

Anonymous
Unregistered

Bastardi on the GOM..
      #2894 - Sat Sep 07 2002 10:03 PM

LATE SATURDAY PM POST: GHOST OF EDOUARD TO UNLOAD ON SE TEXAS: The system over the central gulf is along a wave axis that would, if one tracked the movement of Edouard, find it is very close to where Edouard pressure fall axis will be. The rapid disappearance of Fay without much of a whimper is leaving room for this system to cause, at the very least, more rain problems for southeast Texas than Fay did.
As of 5 pm no low has developed but winds are turning to the east on the northwest gulf coast and are southwest in the western gulf. The upper ridge awaits so at the very least, the divergence aloft and low level pressure trof argue for a major southeast Texas rain event. If the system can slow, it will have a chance to develop, since Faye will be dead and buried by tomorrow morning and was a hybrid.

Interesting

Houstontracker

HanKFranK
User

Reged:
Loc: Graniteville, SC
late day stuff
      #2897 - Sun Sep 08 2002 01:31 AM

back from the ribber. no sunburn, yaay. too many girls, bigger yaay.
saw that gulf convergence even before reading bastardi.. was wowed.. read bastardi and am now pondering the possiblities. though not extremely likely, something could develop under the upper high, not west of it as fay did. probably a half measure feature like fay.. but i dunno..
maybe all those model runs making gulf trouble had something realisitic in mind after all..
well they went and upped 95L to TD7.. good job NHC. it isnt intensifying in a hurry.. actually looks like crap. turned back to the west today (?). well guess maybe it will do that for a while. environment not wonderful but not too horrible.. i guess it could weaken from here on in, but think it more likely it becomes a weak tropical storm and slowly moves further west.
wave south of there well defined with a good oblong rotation, but no convection. shear goes to next to nothing in about a day along its track.. but with no convection, just a wave headed into the islands.
east atlantic wave not looking terribly organized, but plenty of energy with it. there is supposedly a broad surface low with it.. should begin to show on goes 8 visibles tomorrow, until then not a very good idea what its doing.
the big story: 97L. not developing in traditional tropical fashion, may indeed be subtropical in its initial stages.. but as this sucker deepens and structures itself... which i think it should.. has a pretty good shot at becoming a hurricane. doubt all the globals are lying to me for one, and really like the look this thing has for deuce.
most of the models bring it up to the carolina coast tuesday, only a couple actually take it ashore. the rest slow it down offshore and turn it out to sea. either solution puts a system close enough to the carolinas to give the kids a holiday at the coast.
unless it slows as the ridge weakens to the north earlier this week offshore.. the ashore approach wouldnt give it sufficient time to become an intense hurricane.. so TS to moderate hurricane is the likely range of strength.
sooner this thing organizes the further west it will go.
anyway a TD and a few potential trouble spots.. one very likely and two more with decent chances.
G and H storms look pretty certain by the end of next week.
bastardi's talk about the pattern break in october-- sudden pattern shift in october correllates in time with the active span for the western carib.. undulating ridge/troughs eastern u.s. tend to stir things up down there. so maybe another good hurricane in mid/late october in the western carib coming north this year.. thats out there. just a chump guess if it verifies anyway.
okay, quitting analysis. why dont i just make short to the point posts like every sane person on here?? stuff is so under my skin.
by the way not too hard on scottsvb. knock him for being haughty yes, definitely, but not for having totally unsound ideas.. he did see trouble brewing down there early on, and did bet on it having a westward component. can't discredit the entirety of his foresight. away from the microscope he had the right general idea. took it too far yes, but thats a matter of interpretation.. you can hate the GFDL for inventing fake storm tracks and have to admit it may see too much trouble, but that it doesnt often not see it coming. decent analogy. better be ok to have only a clue, 'cause i NEVER seem to hit the nail without taking a few whacks at it.. nor does anyone else. including the expert/official sources.
ok ill shut the ---- up. applause.
HF 0127z08september

troy2
Storm Tracker

Reged:
Loc: cocoa beach
Re: Fay Dies, TD#7 Forms
      #2898 - Sun Sep 08 2002 02:24 AM

Ok I know the GFDL is infamous for exagerating storms or future storms but take a look at the 18 z
http://www.essc.psu.edu/rhart-cgi-bin/gfdltc2.cgi?time=2002090718-seven07l&field=Sea+Level+Pressure&hour=Animation

right on the heels of the sytem aroun dthe Bahamas is not one but 2 systems in a row originating off the tip off Florida.

Kinda weird check it out just for kicks!

Kevin
Weather Master

Reged:
Loc: EC Florida
Bahamian system
      #2899 - Sun Sep 08 2002 03:00 AM

Tonight I'm just going to go into detail about what I think the Bahamian system could do.

I'd like to start by saying that I don't believe the low is going to form at 30N. That looks WAY to far north...seems as if it could develop at around 25N. We'll see what recon says tomorrow if they go out there. The track is dependant on the intensity in a high manner. We are still clueless about the intensity for now. The possibilities are (not in any order or probability):
1. System develops around 30N as models suggest and develops to near minimal hurricane strength. Brushes or briefly makes landfall along coastal North Carolina.
2. System develops rapidly along 25N and recurves as a category 3 or greater. Bothers no one directly.
3. System develops slowly around 25N, begins to curve NW but misses trough (like Edouard) and recurves towards anywhere from Melbourne, Florida to Savanah, Georgia. Makes landfall as a strong cat 1 or borderline cat 2.

It should be noted that this year the "home grown" storms have had a habit of near-missing or totally missing trough connections.

My final word (for now): If this thing develops a low center near 30N, a threat from NC northward seems likely. A slow developer near 25N and, well, I hope Edouard was a good drill for Floridians because this might just be the real thing given proper location and intensity of the system. We'll know a LOT more by later tomorrow. Even the NWS in Melbourne said, "Forecast is totally up in the air after Monday". All interests from EC of Florida to North Carolina need to keep a very close eye to their south and east.

I believe this will recieve the name "Gustav" if it goes tropical. "Gustav"...kinda sounds a little scary like Georges.

Kevin

HanKFranK
User

Reged:
Re: Bahamian system
      #2900 - Sun Sep 08 2002 03:24 AM

sounds.... french

*shudder*

by the way fay is hooking around sw inland.. a bit north of cotulla, tx. got the SW bit right. woo hoo. now watch it turn back to the west.

HF 0320z08september

Kevin
Weather Master

Reged:
Loc: EC Florida
Actually...
      #2901 - Sun Sep 08 2002 03:52 AM

"Gustav" is Bavarian in it's origin if I am correct. Hey...my local met is a complete idiot though. Said that TD7 should be our first cane. What an ass...there shouldn't even be advisories on this thing. Pressure at 1016 and barely any convection. Yeah...that'll be a hurricane when the next Ice Age comes.

Still watching to see what Bahamas will do. Guess I'll see how it looks in the morning.

Kevin

troy2
Storm Tracker

Reged:
Re: Actually...
      #2902 - Sun Sep 08 2002 03:57 AM

Kevin

which staion?? On the subject of Orlando wx people
there really hasnt been an animated weather guy since Danny Trainor. And he had to um, resign

HanKFranK
User

Reged:
Re: Actually...
      #2903 - Sun Sep 08 2002 04:37 AM

hey, give TD 7 a little credit. hung on as an invest for five days before being classified, and upstream im not so sure about what conditions it will meet. possibly support as there is a split in the flow ahead, one jet tailing the receding central atlantic trough into that sharp trough in the east atlantic.. and the other hooking around to the sw into the caribbean. could provide diffluent support (though i admit this is not likely).
nuff about the TD. other things:
1) 97L putting up some deeper convection on the last pics. presentation isnt improving in a huge hurry, but it has improved a lot since saturday morning. this of course could be our bavarian storm tomorrow.. (german names in the atlantic basin??)
2) gulf disturbance convection on the slide from earlier.. convergent surge supporting has weakened. inland with fay i get this strange idea it might develop a new feeder band off the gulf and start tracing it back SE... seems really off the wall but for some reason it wont leave my mind.
3) the much mentioned wave off africa.. there is a low level swirl that ran out ahead, shows up well even on IR2. think this is the low formerly associated with the wave. lot of subsidence out there.. and i think the high amp trough in the far east atlantic sheared its convection away. tempted to say.. so much for that. but it is a fairly energetic feature for sure.
4) MJO graphic is showing a positive anomaly patch that has developed over the atlantic. might bring our activity burst to an end, or just be a flub. shear has become quite a bit more pronounced over the last week or so.
HF 0431z08september

Anonymous
Unregistered

Re: Scott & Steve
      #2904 - Sun Sep 08 2002 06:30 AM

sorry about typo shawn. I'm always very busy and just rush thru these reports and dont have time to check out my spelling which im sure is pretty bad. On that note dont jump on me cause of the typo bit,, you cry so much in here it seems you must be only 8. I loved weather at that age too. I just want to say every little cloud in the gulf wont always become a storm, you seem to always ask that. Anyways sorry about going off, kinda pist about bashing me on a spelling note, i notice alot of sps on others but i dont critize anyone on that note.
On the system off the bahamas yes I did say that i expected it to form there and then move thru N florida into the gulf, upper level flow hasnt developed as expected last week. Now only a modest movement to the w is expected then off to the north which i also agreed with others in here on over the last 2 days now. Anyways still having a hard time seeing if a system will develop over near S florida and move NNE. Time will tell on that too. sorry again for any typos in this and the future.
scottsvbhurricaneupdatecenter BTW shawn I am a Met.

Anonymous
Unregistered

Re: Scott & Steve
      #2905 - Sun Sep 08 2002 06:45 AM

center seems to be forming near 26.2N and 74.5W to the sw of the center of the upperlow. Though the low level center is alittle further south then what the models forcasted, as always in a early stages, many vortexs are spinning about.
scottsvb

troy2
Storm Tracker

Reged:
      #2906 - Sun Sep 08 2002 06:47 AM

scott typos arent such a bad thing.I am dyslexic so i reverse words all the time Just glad you arent my accountant with that typing
but it may explain why the GFDL is allways way off

Weather Master

Reged:
Loc: W. Central Florida
      #2907 - Sun Sep 08 2002 01:19 PM

Gosh you guys are so funny! You helped to wake me up this Sunday morning. I had to laugh as I was reading your post and sipping my coffee. lol lol
Re. the SW Bahamas situation:
If the LLC is farther S. than what the models are saying, and it just sits there for a while I don't think that it is unreasonable to at least have a possible W track across Fl.The trough may have very little influence on it OR it may just miss the trough altogether. Pinwheel Toni

--------------------
TONI

All of us could take a lesson from the weather:
It pays no attention to criticism

My 2003 Hurricane guess 13-9-3

Anonymous
Unregistered

#2908 - Sun Sep 08 2002 01:56 PM

fay looks to be coming back to the gulf

Weather Master

Reged:
Loc: W. Central Florida
      #2909 - Sun Sep 08 2002 02:14 PM

Could the models be picking up on the ghost of Fay? Just looking at the new runs. Most of the models are indicating some new activity in the GOM. Pinwheel Toni

--------------------
TONI

All of us could take a lesson from the weather:
It pays no attention to criticism

My 2003 Hurricane guess 13-9-3

Anonymous
Unregistered

#2910 - Sun Sep 08 2002 02:23 PM

this couid be i just seen the models they show a storm coming across the gulf will it be fay i think so were will she go and will she be the first h please give feedback

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | >> (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 7 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 13280

Rate this topic

Jump to

Note: This is NOT an official page. It is run by weather hobbyists and should not be used as a replacement for official sources. 
CFHC's main servers are currently located at
Hostdime.com in Orlando, FL.
Image Server Network thanks to Mike Potts and Amazon Web Services. If you have static file hosting space that allows dns aliasing contact us to help out! Some Maps Provided by:
Great thanks to all who donated and everyone who uses the site as well. Site designed for 800x600+ resolution
When in doubt, take the word of the National Hurricane Center