F
Current Radar or Satellite Image

Flhurricane.com - Central Florida Hurricane Center - Tracking Storms since 1995Hurricanes Without the Hype! Since 1995

The 2024 Atlantic Hurricane Season Begins on June 1st and lasts until Nov 30th. NHC Outlooks resume on May 15th..
Days since last H. Landfall - US: Any 238 (Idalia) , Major: 238 (Idalia) Florida - Any: 238 (Idalia) Major: 238 (Idalia)

News Talkback >> 2002 News Articles and Talkback

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | (show all)
Anonymous
Unregistered

Just for Kicks the 12Z NOGAPS
      #4130 - Thu Sep 19 2002 08:29 PM

Came in and takes him north of the Yucatan, he does a little dance, loop-the-loop, then heads NE towards the Big Bend as he Strengthens! Cheers!! Stee H.

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
LadyStorm
Weather Guru

Reged:
Loc: United States
Re: New user
      #4131 - Thu Sep 19 2002 08:36 PM

I am a newly registered user, but have been an observer here for the past couple of years. Does anyone remeber Donna? And do any of you thing that Izzy could follow the same possible track?

--------------------
"The significant problems we face cannot be solved at the same level of
thinking we were at when we created them"

..........Albert Einstein

Brett
Unregistered

I dunno
      #4132 - Thu Sep 19 2002 08:37 PM

It's so hard to watch this thing and try to figure the direction its taking. Seemed to me to be moving more westerly today, but now I see it heading more north, with the trough approacing from the west, in this view. Thoughts?

http://www.ssd.noaa.gov/PS/TROP/DATA/RT/epac-ir4-loop.html

Cycloneye
Storm Tracker

Reged:
Loc: Puerto Rico
Thanks Jason for the vortex info
      #4133 - Thu Sep 19 2002 08:37 PM

That is a real hurricane data from recon and from now on the proccess of growing has begun.

--------------------
My 2004 hurricane season forecast=13/8/3

HanKFranK
User

Reged:
Loc: Graniteville, SC
you know..
      #4134 - Thu Sep 19 2002 08:39 PM

you know you're desperate to see the hurricane coming your way when every little jog in your direction has you betting it's a new course. well.. much as i'd like to think i have a good bit of this storm figure out (comparatively).. little things keep happening a little different than i expect. for one, after going mostly nnw yesterday, it is going mostly wnw today. for two, the intensity right now is at marginal hurricane.. no rapid intensification.
well, right now im just going to stick with earlier hypotheses and not bother trying to calibrate what is already a crude enough forecast.
jason the met from pc, i have some questions. im fairly familiar with the global models, and mostly use them for predicting where systems will form, not how they will behave once they do. and i understand about the GFDL being a more localized, attuned tropical model. however, curious to know what to make of the NHC model suite. well, there are only about four that i bother accessing, but the BAMD, BAMM, A98e.. some climo model i think... that bunch.. what should i make of them? im not sure what beta advection (besides it being some thermodynamic energy transfer thing) is, or what the innate characteristics of any of the models are, but as far as knowing when the NHC suite is money and when it isnt.. how should i interpret this stuff?
anyhow.. as this system goes further west and less to the north, the thought that those SW into mexico global runs are seeing the future keeps recurring. the other thought i keep having is that this system could still be around a week from now.
asides: watch off the east coast for a hybrid storm. most of the globals have that upper system bastardi has been calling to cut off all week sending a surface reflection back to the mid atlantic.
central atlantic has an upper trough with a surface reflection.. doubt that will do anything.
still waves coming across, but environment out there is bad and shouldnt improve a whole lot.. season might be over for the southeast atlantic.
one other thing: eastpac system is trying to develop south of mexico. if it deepens, could have upstream consequences for isidore.
HF 2031z19september

Steve
Senior Storm Chaser

Reged:
Loc: Metairie, LA
LOL...
      #4135 - Thu Sep 19 2002 08:39 PM

Rick is going to have to check his shorts if he clicks on that link, that or his desk is going to mysteriously levitate a few inches

Come clean with me andytom. Admit you want some of that tropical action. You're dying to see a northerly component so you get a shot, huh?

I admited it 2 years ago and didn't get too much heat over it. That's how Frank P and I got to be hurricane friends. He would warn against any storms - so finally I got him to open up his can of hurricane stories and I really gained a lot of respect for what he's experienced first hand.

Steve

--------------------
MF'n Super Bowl Champions

BabyCat
Weather Guru

Reged:
Loc: New Orleans, La.
Re: you know..
      #4136 - Thu Sep 19 2002 08:41 PM

They just upgraded to hurricane. And I believe them when they say a 3 in GOM.

wxman007
Meteorologist

Reged:
Loc: Tuscaloosa, AL
Re: you know../We have a cane...
      #4137 - Thu Sep 19 2002 08:42 PM

Isidore now officially a Hurricane per new advisories...

HF, the "other" suite of tropical models is fairly primitive, at best...I'm gonna get some info and will post again in a sec...

--------------------
Jason Kelley

wxman007
Meteorologist

Reged:
Loc: Tuscaloosa, AL
Model info...
      #4139 - Thu Sep 19 2002 08:55 PM

HF,

Read over this first (if you haven't already) and from there I'll clarify...get the background info in first...

NHC Page on Models...

--------------------
Jason Kelley

andy1tom
Storm Tracker

Reged:
Loc: Callaway, Florida
Re: LOL...
      #4140 - Thu Sep 19 2002 08:56 PM

ain't no way ... i ve lived here all my life (+43 yrs) and seen enough of em. my boat is still out of the water from last weekend. i take precautions cause i know what they can do. years back my wife said she wanted one here cause she had never been through one. after a week with no power she said she never wanted to go through another one.

andy1tom
Storm Tracker

Reged:
Loc: Callaway, Florida
Re: LOL...
      #4144 - Thu Sep 19 2002 09:04 PM

new forum people

VolusiaMike
Weather Hobbyist

Reged:
Loc: Ormond Beach, FL
Re: I dunno
      #4186 - Thu Sep 19 2002 11:34 PM

Watching this loop is somewhat disturbing. If you straight line from those frames it ends up about 80 miles east of the NHC forecast track -- which is very close to FL...

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 10 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating: *****
Topic views: 16660

Rate this topic

Jump to

Note: This is NOT an official page. It is run by weather hobbyists and should not be used as a replacement for official sources. 
CFHC's main servers are currently located at
Hostdime.com in Orlando, FL.
Image Server Network thanks to Mike Potts and Amazon Web Services. If you have static file hosting space that allows dns aliasing contact us to help out! Some Maps Provided by:
Great thanks to all who donated and everyone who uses the site as well. Site designed for 800x600+ resolution
When in doubt, take the word of the National Hurricane Center