F
Current Radar or Satellite Image

Flhurricane.com - Central Florida Hurricane Center - Tracking Storms since 1995Hurricanes Without the Hype! Since 1995

The 2024 Atlantic Hurricane Season Begins on June 1st and lasts until Nov 30th. NHC Outlooks resume on May 15th..
Days since last H. Landfall - US: Any 237 (Idalia) , Major: 237 (Idalia) Florida - Any: 237 (Idalia) Major: 237 (Idalia)

News Talkback >> 2002 News Articles and Talkback

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | >> (show all)
Anonymous
Unregistered

Re:Meto
      #5047 - Mon Sep 23 2002 11:08 PM

Huh ????

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Kevin
Weather Master

Reged:
Loc: EC Florida
Re: All Central Gulf Coasters...
      #5048 - Mon Sep 23 2002 11:28 PM

Interesting...Isidore is done weakening as far as Bastardi is concerned. Intensity should balloon once he gets over water if he is correct.

Lili has become much more concentrated over the past hour...probably a hurricane early tomorrow. Bastardi also alluded to two things occuring with Lili:
1. Goes into Gulf (oh boy, here we go again)-if I had to elaborate on this I would say Lili would be E. GOMEX problem if she were to get in.
2. Moves very slowly waiting for next trough amplification.
Either one isn't good for Florida. Flooding possible over the next few days then a possible hurricane...a forecaster's hellish nightmare and a storm tracker's dream.

Kevin

wxman007
Meteorologist

Reged:
Loc: Tuscaloosa, AL
      #5049 - Mon Sep 23 2002 11:35 PM

Interesting stuff...just got the new 18Z AVN and it is further east and a touch quicker than before...bringing him in around the mouth of the Mississippi and the LA/MS state line around midnight Thurs AM...and don't be surprised if the track is further shifted east over time...

Boy, my timing was off, but my Ft Walton call is looking pretty good right now...

--------------------
Jason Kelley

Justin in Miami
Storm Tracker

Reged:
Loc: Ft. Lauderdale, Florida
      #5050 - Mon Sep 23 2002 11:46 PM

Jason, would you care to give us your thoughts on Lili?

Anonymous
Unregistered

#5051 - Mon Sep 23 2002 11:49 PM

Hey Jason Its Kyle from Pensacola it looks as though we might get something if this storm decides to ever come off the Yucatan. Im guessing a pretty strong cat 2 now maybe. I think the storm will move north instead of northwest an then maybe alittle ne till it gets to around the area east of New Orleans. What do u all think?

joepub1
Storm Tracker

Reged:
Loc: Jacksonville,Fla
      #5052 - Mon Sep 23 2002 11:50 PM

Thanks alot Kevin. My hope is the GFDL predicts a direct hit here in Jacksonville. Then I know that I'll be safe, because it won't come within 500 miles of me.

Our rain chance here for the 4 days is 60,60,70,and 70%. We are getting pinched between the effects of Izzy, a cold front stalled right above us, and the prospects of Lili coming into the area. Really need to find my raincoat. We are by no means dry up here. Whem I cut my grass yesterday, I was surprised how much moisture was in the ground. Anything above 10 inches of rain over the next week would be a small disaster in itself, the ground is that wet already.

Joe in Jax

Pres. Bush Axis of evil: Iraq, LBAR, GFDL

wxman007
Meteorologist

Reged:
      #5053 - Mon Sep 23 2002 11:51 PM

If you believe in the GFDL, it's gonna be another GOM storm...I want to wait a bit before I make a call on Lili, get some of that GOOOOOD Gulfstream IV data into the models to firm them up, and to get Lili to slow down a bit....if she misses the trof, it's gonna be hard to keep her away from FL/the GOM.

--------------------
Jason Kelley

wxman007
Meteorologist

Reged:
      #5054 - Mon Sep 23 2002 11:52 PM

Don't be surprised if the track of Izzy moves East (significantly) over the next 36 hrs...

NO, right now, is as far west as I'd be willing to put this storm, until I see a definatlive NW motion....which ain't happening right now.

--------------------
Jason Kelley

mbfly
Weather Guru

Reged:
Loc: Mobile, Alabama
      #5055 - Mon Sep 23 2002 11:53 PM

UH OH !! Well, I said my DH (Dear Hubby or Dumb Hubby..... just depends) would board up the place when Jason Kelley said to, so he's on his way to Home Depot to buy plywood. Now what I want JK to tell me, is how strong is Izzy going to be when he gets here ??? Best guess ?

Edited by mbfly (Mon Sep 23 2002 11:58 PM)

ShawnS
Storm Tracker

Reged:
Loc: Pearland,Tx
Izzy
      #5056 - Mon Sep 23 2002 11:57 PM

I'm starting to think Izzy is going to just die out before it ever gets off of the Yucatan. The winds are now down to 45mph and it is still stationary.But you all keep watching the models jump further and further east while Izzy continues to sit on the Yucatan and die.

wxman007
Meteorologist

Reged:
      #5057 - Tue Sep 24 2002 12:00 AM

Tough call, although thanks for the confidence in my forecast...wish you'd tell my bosses that!!

Intensity is gonna be a tough call, but I think Izzy will be a hurricane again with 24 hrs of the center getting back over the Gulf (assuming it does so in the next 18-24 hrs, which I think it will)...the forward speed component is a strong variable in this, and it is all over the place in the model solutions...

My best guess? Solid cat 2...maybe a cat 3...but more likely a 2,...100 mph winds.

--------------------
Jason Kelley

Justin in Miami
Storm Tracker

Reged:
Loc: Ft. Lauderdale, Florida
      #5058 - Tue Sep 24 2002 12:06 AM

The next question should be....when will Hurricane Watches/Warnings be posted for the Gulf Coast? Anyone with thoughts?

Anonymous
Unregistered

#5059 - Tue Sep 24 2002 12:08 AM

what is the chance it just dies over the yucatan?

Frank P
Veteran Storm Chaser

Reged:
Re: Izzy
      #5060 - Tue Sep 24 2002 12:10 AM

I think models are basically useless on a stationary storm... for that fact, maybe models are useless period... they certainly have been relative to forecasting this storm as no models forecast 72 hours out have even come close to being right.....18Z GFLD has Izzy going inland just west of NO at ~92W in 60 hours.... I don't know how many times the MS coast has been forecasted to get Izzy from various models, at least 3 or 4 over the past several days... as has several other locations... models are really starting to piss me off...

Anonymous
Unregistered

#5061 - Tue Sep 24 2002 12:11 AM

If the track hold (or shifts east) with no change in forward speed, I 'd say watches go up at the 11 PM adv tomorrow night, and warnings the next morning at 11, maybe as late as the 5pm

jlauderdal
Weather Hobbyist

Reged:
Loc: Fort Lauderdale, FLorida
Lili
      #5062 - Tue Sep 24 2002 12:11 AM

Chance of the Southern Half of Florida being hit by Lili: 0%

Take a look at the latest GFDL run..puts Lilly right in our backyard at the end of its forecast period which means we are safe.

http://twister.sbs.ohio-state.edu/text/tropical/atlantic/models/02092323

Anonymous
Unregistered

#5063 - Tue Sep 24 2002 12:12 AM

I feel your pain, my Golden Eagle brother....

wxman007
Meteorologist

Reged:
      #5064 - Tue Sep 24 2002 12:13 AM

The last 2 anons were me...I got logged off somehow...

--------------------
Jason Kelley

joepub1
Storm Tracker

Reged:
Loc: Jacksonville,Fla
      #5065 - Tue Sep 24 2002 12:14 AM

Tell those models what you really think of them, Frank!

Kevin
Weather Master

Reged:
Loc: EC Florida
      #5066 - Tue Sep 24 2002 12:15 AM

I must agree with all 3 of your last posts Jason. Excellent as always. More thoughts:
1. You're right, the trough misses Lili (probably will) and Florida and the E. GOMEX are going to be staring in the face of another nasty storm by the weekend.
2. Isidore's track could shift east in a major manner, either way some eastward adjusments to the forecast should be made.
3. Isidore won't dissipate given it's low central pressure. It would have to stay over land for another 24 hours...not likely at this point.

Kevin

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | >> (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 4 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 22054

Rate this topic

Jump to

Note: This is NOT an official page. It is run by weather hobbyists and should not be used as a replacement for official sources. 
CFHC's main servers are currently located at
Hostdime.com in Orlando, FL.
Image Server Network thanks to Mike Potts and Amazon Web Services. If you have static file hosting space that allows dns aliasing contact us to help out! Some Maps Provided by:
Great thanks to all who donated and everyone who uses the site as well. Site designed for 800x600+ resolution
When in doubt, take the word of the National Hurricane Center