F
Current Radar or Satellite Image

Flhurricane.com - Central Florida Hurricane Center - Tracking Storms since 1995Hurricanes Without the Hype! Since 1995

The 2024 Atlantic Hurricane Season Begins on June 1st and lasts until Nov 30th. NHC Outlooks resume on May 15th..
Days since last H. Landfall - US: Any 237 (Idalia) , Major: 237 (Idalia) Florida - Any: 237 (Idalia) Major: 237 (Idalia)

News Talkback >> 2002 News Articles and Talkback

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | >> (show all)
ShawnS
Storm Tracker

Reged:
Loc: Pearland,Tx
Re: Nothing.. Nada... Zip.... Zero
      #896 - Thu Jun 27 2002 12:22 PM

Just for the heck of it I was looking at the Corpus Christi,Tx radar and I need help from someone. Can someone please tell me if there is some sort of circulation right around there or does it just look that way because of the radar?

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Rich B
British Meteorologist

Reged:
Loc: Gloucestershire, England, UK
Corpus Christi Radar - Circulation?
      #897 - Thu Jun 27 2002 12:43 PM

Shawn,
have just looked at the Corpus Christi Short Range Radar Loop and there definitely apears to be some circulation to the southeast of Corpus Chrisit, just offshore. Unfortunately i have not seen any visible satellite imagery yet, but will be checking it out as soon as i can, and will post my thoughts on it again soon

Rich

StormWarn2000 IWN

--------------------
Rich B

SkyWarn UK

CaneMan
Unregistered

Re: Corpus Christi Radar - Circulation?
      #898 - Thu Jun 27 2002 01:29 PM

Just checked a couple buoys in area with one reporting over 20 mph winds. No significant pressure drop yet though.

Anonymous
Unregistered

#899 - Thu Jun 27 2002 01:30 PM

WOW that is interesting!
Cajun/bbadon

Frank P
Veteran Storm Chaser

Reged:
      #900 - Thu Jun 27 2002 02:21 PM

Yeah gang that area does have an interesting little twist to it looking at the radar loops.. also gives the impression of a spin on the latest vis sat loop too if you look really really hard....

Latest obs from bouys in area show BP at 1012.4 but on the rise... Bouy 42020 has light north winds at 6K gusts to 10K and bouy 42019 has the south winds at 21K gusting to 27K...Can't find any west winds yet to indicate a SFC low...

Cocoa Beach
Unregistered

Question
      #901 - Thu Jun 27 2002 02:24 PM

Looking at the loop:
http://www.ssd.noaa.gov/PS/TROP/DATA/RT/watl-ir4-loop.html

How do you tell if this rotation is a Upper Level Low, or if it is a Lower Level Low just by looking at the Sat. pic?

Rich B
British Meteorologist

Reged:
      #902 - Thu Jun 27 2002 03:01 PM

Looking at both the radar loops and the visible satellite loops it seems as if a circulation centre is very near Padre Island, Texas. Most of the convective activity is in the eastern semi-circle well the western semi-circle is over land and nearly convection free. This is an interesting system, and it will be interesting to see if NHC pick up on this in the 1130am Outlook! Anyone have any thoughts on this feature?

Rich B

StormWarn2000 IWN

--------------------
Rich B

SkyWarn UK

Steve
Senior Storm Chaser

Reged:
Loc: Metairie, LA
      #903 - Thu Jun 27 2002 03:06 PM

To me, it looks like it's at the butt end of an upper trof fairly just west of where the return flow is feeding moisture into SC and SW LA.

Steve

--------------------
MF'n Super Bowl Champions

Rich B
British Meteorologist

Reged:
      #904 - Thu Jun 27 2002 04:32 PM

Latest radar from Corpus Christi appears to show the circulation has relocated to the east of the previoous position, a little more over open water. Perhaps this thing is trying to get going?

--------------------
Rich B

SkyWarn UK

ShawnS
Storm Tracker

Reged:
Loc: Pearland,Tx
      #905 - Thu Jun 27 2002 05:52 PM

It looks like it is too close to land to develop into anything. It also looks to be moving west anyway.If nothing else maybe it will give south Texas some much needed rain.

Anonymous (HF)
Unregistered

monday
      #906 - Fri Jun 28 2002 02:08 AM

been around doing odd jobs for relatives, so none of my tropical banter for a couple of days. wonder if anybody here noticed?
anyhow got a lot on my mind, but a quick glance at the models earlier did show some stuff to keep an eye open for. apparently the system about to shear over the ridge building here in the east should leave a piece of energy behind that several global models are carrying down off the southeast coast by early next week, assigning a surface low and such. of course this would be one of those systems induced by an upper cutaway feature, so there are the usual doubts, but several models seemed to get the same general idea about it.. worth looking for.
sun finally came out and stayed out today. 'bout time, i say. the clouds and cooler weather were getting on my nerves.
i think i'll try a poll tomorrow, since i'd like to know what you all think about certain weather-related stuff. take it easy, all.
HanKFranK aiken, SC 0201z28june

Anonymous
Unregistered

tropical forecast for 6-28-2002
      #907 - Fri Jun 28 2002 10:17 AM

Tropical forecast for tropical depression 3-e. The system has strong thunderstorms. Good outflow. The low leavel center is at the northern end that looks like that the thunder storms might cover it over and the next 12 hours the system will most likely get stronger. The pressure is 1008'' and the d scale is 1.5 to 2.0 the low north of the islands is moving back as it do's the subtropical jet will shear this system to a low and 36 hours or so. The NRL is showing 91e this low area is geting sheared from the outflow of three and the system is weak but the avn 00Z shows it better than three. The GFDL show soming about 24 to 96 hours around 105 west and 125 west. No forecast yet on this. southern gulf thunderstorms mostly upper low and watching for any signs of lower leavel low and no model supports a system so no forecast the eastern atlantic as thunder storms and one model lower pressurs and the next few days. The west pacific to more tropical depressions 8 and 9 formed no forecast on these -------------------------* FORECASTER Matthew

Steve
Senior Storm Chaser

Reged:
Loc: Metairie, LA
Re: tropical forecast for 6-28-2002
      #908 - Fri Jun 28 2002 02:07 PM

Ack! The Gulf is alive! There's a big old BOC in the BOC that looks like it's eating everything. Not exactly what I expected to see on the IR this morning.

Steve

--------------------
MF'n Super Bowl Champions

garyb
Weather Guru

Reged:
Loc: Hernando Beach,Fl
Re: forecast for the tropical weather for 6-26-2002
      #909 - Fri Jun 28 2002 03:10 PM

BOC wow

garyb
Weather Guru

Reged:
TROPICAL OUTLOOK
      #910 - Fri Jun 28 2002 03:16 PM

1200 UTC (8 a.m. edt) 6/28/2002 ATLANTIC OCEAN TROPICAL OUTLOOK
Convective activity in the southwest Gulf of Mexico has blassomed overnight. Upper winds are not favorable for further development and there are no current signs of organiation. Therefore, any development should be slow to occur.

Elsewhere, tropical cyclone formation is not expected within the next 36 hours.

Forecaster: Ortt

garyb
Weather Guru

Reged:
NHC
      #911 - Fri Jun 28 2002 03:19 PM

ABNT20 KNHC 281508
TWOAT
TROPICAL WEATHER OUTLOOK
NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE MIAMI FL
1130 AM EDT FRI JUN 28 2002

FOR THE NORTH ATLANTIC...CARIBBEAN SEA AND THE GULF OF MEXICO...

AN AREA OF CLOUDINESS AND THUNDERSTORMS CONTINUES OVER
THE SOUTHWESTERN GULF OF MEXICO IN ASSOCIATION WITH AN UPPER
LEVEL TROUGH. THERE ARE NO SIGNS OF ORGANIZATION.

ELSEWHERE...TROPICAL STORM FORMATION IS NOT EXPECTED THROUGH
SATURDAY.

FORECASTER LAWRENCE

Anonymous (HF)
Unregistered

stuff/poll
      #912 - Sat Jun 29 2002 04:35 AM

quiet night in the tropics. eastpac going quiet, westpac going active, atlantic status quo. model support for a disturbance off the southeast now less than yesterday's runs, more divergent and less interesting really.
looks like we get a no-storm june, as well as a no-depression june. last time that happened was 1998...1991 before that.
thought of a poll topic.. not a totally fascinating one, but one worth getting user data on anyhow.

there.. tried to cover all the bases. i'll think of a better question next time.
HanKFranK aiken, SC 0425z29june

Votes accepted from (Tue Apr 23 2024 05:36 PM) to (No end specified)
View the results of this poll

Anonymous
Unregistered

thinks are heating up
      #913 - Sat Jun 29 2002 09:40 AM

The gulf of mexico there a low leavel low forming around 23 north 98
west this low is still to close to land but it slowly moving away from the coast so will watch..
Matthew [image]http://www.ssd.noaa.gov/ps/trop/rt/gmex/ir..[/image]
In reply to:

Votes accepted from (Tue Apr 23 2024 05:36 PM) to (No end specified)
View the results of this poll

Colleen A.

Reged:
Loc: Florida
Rain
      #914 - Sat Jun 29 2002 02:20 PM

I just looked at the NWS Discussion for the Tampa Bay Area. After reading through it and carefully analyzing everything they said re: atmospheric stablility, moisture contents, wind flow, etc. I have come to the following stunning and accurate (hahaha) conclusion:

THIS WEEKEND WILL BE A GOOD ONE IF YOU ARE A DUCK!

There. I just had to get that out of my system.

--------------------
You know you're a hurricane freak when you wake up in the morning and hit "REFRESH" on CFHC instead of the Snooze Button.

Rad
Weather Guru

Reged:
Loc: St. Pete Fl. {27.8N 82.7W}
Re: Rain
      #915 - Sat Jun 29 2002 03:18 PM

Good one Colleen , I agree.

--------------------
RIDE 2 LIVE 2 RIDE

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | >> (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 7 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating: ***
Topic views: 18701

Rate this topic

Jump to

Note: This is NOT an official page. It is run by weather hobbyists and should not be used as a replacement for official sources. 
CFHC's main servers are currently located at
Hostdime.com in Orlando, FL.
Image Server Network thanks to Mike Potts and Amazon Web Services. If you have static file hosting space that allows dns aliasing contact us to help out! Some Maps Provided by:
Great thanks to all who donated and everyone who uses the site as well. Site designed for 800x600+ resolution
When in doubt, take the word of the National Hurricane Center