Current Radar or Satellite Image

Flhurricane.com - Central Florida Hurricane CenterHurricanes Without the Hype! Since 1995

#96L odds now down to just 10% per NHC, as upper-level winds and interaction with the Greater Antilles has been too much to handle
Days since last H. Landfall - US: Any 34 (Michael) , Major: 34 (Michael) Florida - Any: 34 (Michael) Major: 34 (Michael)
COMMUNICATION
STORM DATA
CONTENT
FOLLOW US
ADS
Login to remove ads

Archives 2000s >> 2003 News Talkback

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | >> (show all)
squirralee
Weather Hobbyist

Reged: Wed
Loc: Mims, Florida
Re: reflection of a time long ago
      #9314 - Sun Aug 17 2003 09:31 PM

CONGRATULATIONS to the Bride & Groom. Frank P...you are going to need about two weeks to a month to re-cooperate...lol.

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Mitch
Verified CFHC User

Reged: Sat
Loc: Merritt Island, FL
      #9315 - Sun Aug 17 2003 09:37 PM

Hey Frank P - congratulations! I must be difficult "giving away" your daughter. Geez, I don't even want to think about - my daugher is only 21 months old.

That was a great recount of Camille. We all watch the TS's and minor to moderate hurricanes but very few of us have seen a storm like Camille. That must have been very scary to go through. The most I have seen is a Cat 1 and that is enough - I hate having to put the hurricane panels up!

Kevin
Weather Master

Reged: Fri
Loc: EC Florida
      #9316 - Sun Aug 17 2003 09:58 PM

Wave in C. Atl is more convectively active. Let's see if it can tighten up.

Wave emerging off of Africa looks good. Let's see if it maintains convection.

Let's see...Atlantic may get active soon. Longer post tomorrow.

Weather Master

Reged: Sun
Loc: W. Central Florida
      #9317 - Sun Aug 17 2003 10:27 PM

Congrats... Frank, I'm glad to hear that everything went well!

--------------------
TONI

All of us could take a lesson from the weather:
It pays no attention to criticism

My 2003 Hurricane guess 13-9-3

Weather Master

Re: No known cure!
      #9318 - Sun Aug 17 2003 10:30 PM

Thanks a lot Ed, I'm glad you enjoyed it! It always makes me feel better to laugh.

--------------------
TONI

JustMe
Weather Guru

Reged: Mon
Loc: Orlando, Florida
      #9319 - Mon Aug 18 2003 05:00 AM

Frank
Camille is when I became interested in Hurricanes. We lived in Pascagoula Mississippi at the time. My parents lived in Bay Saint Louis. I still have the two publications of magazine books that were circulated about Camille and the Biloxi paper that listed the dead. Stood in line for water. Drove over the Ocean Springs bridge wondering if it were going to be the last time or not. Read the article from the survior of the apartments who wond up in a tree about 5 miles from the beach. No hurriance party for me. We were lucky only had 2 trees down away from our home. My parents lost 7 and the home next to them was gone. We had been on vacation and coming back when we couldnt get any closer than Hattiesburg. The winds there were over the 100 mile an hour mark. The trees falling, the transformers popping in the darkness of night. Yes I remeber and I respect "the hurricane".

--------------------

I have survived Betsy Miss, Camille Miss., Andrew Fl, Charley Fl, Frances FL, Jeanne FL,

Cycloneye
Storm Tracker

Reged: Thu
Loc: Puerto Rico
Atlantic wave has gained convection but is it organizing?
      #9320 - Mon Aug 18 2003 07:14 AM

http://www.ssd.noaa.gov/PS/TROP/DATA/RT/eatl-ir4-loop.html

Good morning to all !. Definitly compared to yesterday this morning the atlantic wave has increased it's convection but the thing to watch is if it is organizing.Will we see 92L invest today posted at NRL? I think there is a good chance to see the new invest of it continues like it is this morning.Let's see what today brings at that area.I dont pay much attention to what the models are forecasting because until a true center is iniciated they will flip-flop a lot on the tracks.

--------------------
My 2004 hurricane season forecast=13/8/3

Edited by Cycloneye (Mon Aug 18 2003 07:15 AM)

Weather Master

#9321 - Mon Aug 18 2003 07:39 AM

JustMe and Frank, your memory and thoughts on Camille are very sobering. Makes ya just want to stop for a moment, be still and quite. We all come here to this board for different reasons, yet we all have one thing in common and that is tracking tropical storms.I can surely say for myself that I never want to experience anything like that. I hope and pray that all those types of storms are the ones that decide to take a hike. Everyone have a great day!

--------------------
TONI

Steve
Senior Storm Chaser

Loc: Metairie, LA
Things of interest this morning...
      #9322 - Mon Aug 18 2003 09:48 AM

Erika looks pretty good as she emerges off of Mexico near the tip of the Baja Peninsula. There is some action in the Bay of Campeche, but it doesn't look like much. There's a wave just through the islands that brought some showers to PR yesterday and the wave just past 40 is looking like it's starting to focus a little more energy. It might be a quiet day or two, but I'm looking for Things [tm] on the map at least by Thursday or Friday.

Steve

--------------------
MF'n Super Bowl Champions

islander
Unregistered

Re: Things of interest this morning...
      #9323 - Mon Aug 18 2003 10:07 AM

Good morning all...I would say that we should have at least our next Invest pretty soon. The wave around 42W has been looking "healthier" since yesterday.

Frank P
Veteran Storm Chaser

thanks all
      #9324 - Mon Aug 18 2003 10:19 AM

Squirralee, Mitch, Toni and Just me... thanks for the kind words on the wedding... only daughter married... I'm estatic... just to brag a little, she's a fourth year med student at Ole Miss, as is her husband.. two doctors in the family.. his dad is a doctor too... I hit the trifector in med care... hehe... yeah, it might take me a couple of weeks to get over it, but a lot longer to pay all the dang bills... its only money...

Justme.. back to Camille... I will never forget the thousands of pine trees that was leveled during the storm... all the way to Hattiesburg Ms on each side of highway 49 every pine tree seemed like it was down or severly bent over... an amazing sight...

Frank P
Veteran Storm Chaser

#9325 - Mon Aug 18 2003 11:03 AM

yeah, from looking at the IR and Vis loops, its certainly holding together, with also a hint of some mid level circulation... should be the one to watch for sure.... also a very healthy wave coming off the coast of Africa....

Brad in Miami
Storm Tracker

#9326 - Mon Aug 18 2003 11:16 AM

The wave got a mention for a possible investigation on Wednesday in this morning's recon outlook from the NHC:

"2. SUCCEEDING DAY OUTLOOK: PSBL INVEST NEAR 16N AND 55W AT 20/1800Z IF SYSTEM DEVELOPS."

islander
Unregistered

#9327 - Mon Aug 18 2003 12:03 PM

And it has NHC's Storm Floater 1...not sure how significant this is...

LoisCane
Veteran Storm Chaser

Reged: Fri
Loc: South Florida
a beautiful wave...happy monday
      #9328 - Mon Aug 18 2003 12:07 PM

love this wave...first one to go slow, take its time, build up some convection and keep on rolling westbound..

love it

http://www.ssd.noaa.gov/PS/TROP/DATA/RT/eatl-ir4-loop.html

--------------------
http://hurricaneharbor.blogspot.com/

cajun
Unregistered

BOC
      #9329 - Mon Aug 18 2003 12:16 PM

Looks like a little spin up in the Bay of Campeche.

Cycloneye
Storm Tracker

Loc: Puerto Rico
Re: Things of interest this afternoon
      #9330 - Mon Aug 18 2003 12:18 PM

Islander moving the floater allows us to look it more close and on a half hour intervals.About the system this afternoon the important thing is that convection is persisting from last night when it became more numerous.Also where will a well defined LLC will form because when that happens then the models can iniciate much better the future tracks.Let's see what the comming days will bring but this wave is different from the other waves and TD'S that had moved east of the islands because of the more slow movement.

Wave emerging africa still has not made it totally to the water but looks heathy so I give it more time to be in the water and start to organize.

--------------------
My 2004 hurricane season forecast=13/8/3

Tropics Guy
Storm Tracker

Loc: Miami, Florida
      #9331 - Mon Aug 18 2003 12:57 PM

Is there a LLC developing in the mid-atlantic wave around 15N
41W? or is it more to the SW of the big blow-up of convection.

Tropics Guy

--------------------
Tropical Cyclones: "Mother nature's heat transfer machines"

Brad in Miami
Storm Tracker

#9332 - Mon Aug 18 2003 01:25 PM

I don't see anything on the visible satellite that shows a developing low-level circulation, although of course it's possible with that blow up of convection.

Did you see something on satellite or otherwise that makes you think an LLC is forming at that location?

javlin
Weather Master

Loc: Biloxi,MS
      #9333 - Mon Aug 18 2003 01:26 PM

The BOC does look to have alittle spin to it see if can hold it's own.The movement looks to be N maybe just a tad E.A little close to land.Congrats Frank.

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | >> (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 8 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  MikeC, Ed Dunham, danielw 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating: *****
Topic views: 20737

Rate this topic

Jump to

Note: This is NOT an official page. It is run by weather hobbyists and should not be used as a replacement for official sources. 
CFHC's main servers are currently located at
Hostdime.com in Orlando, FL.
Image Server Network thanks to Mike Potts and Amazon Web Services. If you have static file hosting space that allows dns aliasing contact us to help out! Some Maps Provided by:
Great thanks to all who donated and everyone who uses the site as well. Site designed for 800x600+ resolution
When in doubt, take the word of the National Hurricane Center