F
Current Radar or Satellite Image

Flhurricane.com - Central Florida Hurricane Center - Tracking Storms since 1995Hurricanes Without the Hype! Since 1995

Chill falls over the Atlantic as the official season heads towards close
Days since last H. Landfall - US: Any 233 (Idalia) , Major: 233 (Idalia) Florida - Any: 233 (Idalia) Major: 233 (Idalia)
None
COMMUNICATION
STORM DATA
CONTENT
FOLLOW US
ADS
Login to remove ads

News Talkback >> 2004 News Talkbacks

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | (show all)
LI Phil
User

Reged: Fri
Loc: Long Island (40.7N 73.6W)
Thanks, Steve
      #14297 - Fri May 14 2004 05:33 PM

Thanks for the links Steve. I'll have to bookmark them. Looks like the data are portending an above average season. Cheers, Phil.

--------------------
2005 Forecast: 14/7/4

BUCKLE UP!

"If your topic ain't tropic, your post will be toast"

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
summercyclone
Unregistered

Re: West African Sahel...
      #14298 - Fri May 14 2004 06:14 PM

However, Dr. Gray has recently said the correlation between Sahel rainfall and tropical cyclone formation has broken down for reasons unknown, and he no longer considers it a factor in the development of his seasonal forecasts.

West Gulf looks interesting---except it is May, and a rope cloud (sign of lack of tropical development) has appeared. However, appears there may be a vorticity center behind the main cloud mass, close to Tx/Mx border.

The Orbital Cyclone page did opine the season may (no pun intended) start early.

sc

LI Phil
User

#14299 - Fri May 14 2004 08:41 PM

SC-thx for that info. Still trying to understand all this stuff. Did Dr. Gray give any rationale for discounting the Sahel data? I'd actually never heard of it before (newbie, of sorts), but it seemed a valid factor in TS development.

If any of you guys (or gals) w/more experience have any other pre-season predictors, let the board know. Wondering if Ed will start a new thread over the weekend for the 2K4 season...

--------------------

BUCKLE UP!

HanKFranK
User

Reged: Mon
Loc: Graniteville, SC
      #14300 - Sat May 15 2004 11:23 AM

climate slowly changes all the time; the sahel rainfall correlation means/meant something, but recently something else is overshadowing its significance. 'with extreme complexity' is a good description for how the earth operates--all sorts of things are going on at once, some we understand, some we don't, and the relative significance of any one changes given the situation. the sahel correlation isn't working, and i'm just as happy... the u.s. east coast has taken only ONE major hurricane hit in the last decade. that's statistically way off the mark. the gulf coast hasn't fared much worse.
by the way, steve.. it was your earlier mention that bastardi was noting a surge out of the tropics that got me looking there to begin with. you brought it to the table here first; i should make mention that i'm only making a secondhand sighting. a further note would be that there seems to be an MJO wave propagating eastward from the westpac (possibly triggered indian ocean systems around a week ago, now the area east of the phillipines is active). wish i had an idea when it gets to this side of the big blue ball. maybe end of the month. the model has the suspicious feature's first manifestations around late next week, into the following week... probably too early for MJO to get across. if it keeps peeking by tuesday/wednesday.. get psyched. may disturbances usually only give us an invest that shears out.. it's been more than twenty years since one went 'all the way'. low probability event if it goes.
eastpac all quiet.
HF 1623z15may

stuart dave
Unregistered

Re: 2004 Hurricane Predictions
      #14301 - Sat May 15 2004 11:36 AM

Its comforting to know that hurricane alley is not predicting any strikes in South East Florida this year.t

Steve
Senior Storm Chaser

Reged: Wed
Loc: Metairie, LA
      #14302 - Sat May 15 2004 12:02 PM

I almost sought out Tropical Weather Watcher on another board the other day to ask him about the MJO. On either Wed. or Thurs, there was a massive diurnal blowup on and off Mexico, in the Gulf and in the Lower Mississippi Valley. There were extra colors (/bobbi) pulsing, and it looked like there was some extra motivation with all the whites (higher cloudtops) on all the sysetms at the same time relative to what the rest of the week saw. Something was up anyway.

Steve

--------------------
MF'n Super Bowl Champions

LI Phil
User

MJO, ENSO, SSTs, etc.
      #14303 - Sat May 15 2004 07:35 PM

While browsing for some updated info on the current worldwide state of climactic conditions, I stumbled on the following information, which I thought might be useful:

"The equatorial Pacific remains in a neutral state. Equatorial SST anomalies are near zero, and have changed little from March. The monthly SOI was strongly negative, largely as a result of Madden-Julian Oscillation (MJO) activity in early April. The three month SOI (February-April) continues in the neutral range. For April and for February to April, the NINO3 SST anomaly was about +0.2°C, and NINO4 was about +0.4°C. Subsurface temperatures show negative anomalies near the surface in the eastern Equatorial Pacific, with positive anomalies in the farther west, both of which appear to be propagating east. Most of the global models indicate that neutral conditions are the most likely outcome for the rest of the year, though the chance of an El Niņo developing is slightly higher than average."

First mention I'd heard of a possible El Nino this year. What does it mean? HF, Steve, Ed, sc, anyone want to take a stab?

--------------------

BUCKLE UP!

Edited by Ed Dunham (Sat May 15 2004 11:05 PM)

Steve
Senior Storm Chaser

Reged: Wed
Loc: Metairie, LA
Re: MJO, ENSO, SSTs, etc.
      #14306 - Sat May 15 2004 11:41 PM

Models are mostly neutral to warm in the distant term. They've been saying that off and on since La Nina came back up a few years ago and has kind of held on in the EPAC zones. Positive ENSO in the zones in this hemisphere make for a stronger subtropical jet stream (SW influence) and add shear (at various MB heights) to the western Altantic, Gulf and Caribbean. El Nino years tend to have surpressed overall activity but are also known to harbor some of the more vicious storms of the last few decades (Andrew, Camile, Betsy and others).

Steve

--------------------
MF'n Super Bowl Champions

HanKFranK
User

Reged: Mon
Loc: Graniteville, SC
Re: MJO, ENSO, SSTs, etc.
      #14314 - Sun May 16 2004 11:48 PM

el nino.. i'll believe it when i see it. like steve said, models always calling for it for years, but it hasnt done a whole lot lately. weak-moderate one in 2002 didn't knock a big hole in our numbers, a noticeable one, but not a season-ender.
gfs still calling for that disturbance, still reconfiguring the atlantic shear pattern in a week. nothing to say other than that.. besides that the westpac is running wide open right now.
i've got a mind that the pacific SST config will resemble last year's. also suspect that a spread out, above average season is on the way.. that belies my unchanging numbers.. 11/6/3.
HF 0448z17may

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 260 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  MikeC, Ed Dunham, danielw 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating: *****
Topic views: 20259

Rate this topic

Jump to

Note: This is NOT an official page. It is run by weather hobbyists and should not be used as a replacement for official sources. 
CFHC's main servers are currently located at
Hostdime.com in Orlando, FL.
Image Server Network thanks to Mike Potts and Amazon Web Services. If you have static file hosting space that allows dns aliasing contact us to help out! Some Maps Provided by:
Great thanks to all who donated and everyone who uses the site as well. Site designed for 800x600+ resolution
When in doubt, take the word of the National Hurricane Center