F
Current Radar or Satellite Image

Flhurricane.com - Central Florida Hurricane Center - Tracking Storms since 1995Hurricanes Without the Hype! Since 1995

Chill falls over the Atlantic as the official season heads towards close
Days since last H. Landfall - US: Any 211 (Idalia) , Major: 211 (Idalia) Florida - Any: 211 (Idalia) Major: 211 (Idalia)
None
COMMUNICATION
STORM DATA
CONTENT
FOLLOW US
ADS
Login to remove ads

News Talkback >> 2004 News Talkbacks

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | >> (show all)
Old Sailor
Storm Tracker

Reged: Mon
Loc: Florida
Re: Alex and waves [Re: James88]
      #17446 - Mon Aug 02 2004 04:25 PM

Alex may have peaked out and stay just a TS. 91L looks to be a TD by 11:00 tonight.

Dave

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
LI Phil
User

Reged: Fri
Loc: Long Island (40.7N 73.6W)
Re: Alex and waves [Re: Old Sailor]
      #17447 - Mon Aug 02 2004 04:37 PM

Dave,

(Happy post-b-day, big guy).

Just spent probably too much time looking at Alex on radar, satellite, IR and WV, and as much as I hate to say it, I think you may be right about peaking. He's looking terrible now. However, I'll still give it some time to refire, and tomorrow's another day. No way this is upgraded at 5:00.

Guess we're going to have to wait till the 11:00 for NONAME02L.

Oh well. You never know.

--------------------
2005 Forecast: 14/7/4

BUCKLE UP!

"If your topic ain't tropic, your post will be toast"

James88
Weather Master

Reged: Tue
Loc: Gloucestershire, England, UK
Hurricane Warnings [Re: LI Phil]
      #17448 - Mon Aug 02 2004 04:46 PM

Winds are still at 60mph, but there are now Hurricane Warnings up from Cape
Lookout to Oregon Inlet North Carolina...including the Pamlico
Sound. Alex is expected to come very close to the Outer Banks, NC tomorrow.

Edited by James88 (Mon Aug 02 2004 04:47 PM)

hurricane_run
Storm Tracker

Reged: Sun
Loc: USA
Re: Alex [Re: LI Phil]
      #17449 - Mon Aug 02 2004 04:49 PM

WTNT31 KNHC 022042
TCPAT1
BULLETIN
TROPICAL STORM ALEX ADVISORY NUMBER 10
NWS TPC/NATIONAL HURRICANE CENTER MIAMI FL
5 PM EDT MON AUG 02 2004

...HURRICANE WARNING ISSUED AS ALEX EDGES TOWARD THE COAST...

AT 5 PM EDT...2100Z...A HURRICANE WARNING HAS BEEN ISSUED FROM CAPE LOOKOUT TO OREGON INLET NORTH CAROLINA...INCLUDING THE PAMLICO SOUND. THIS MEANS THAT HURRICANE CONDITIONS ARE EXPECTED WITHIN
THE WARNING AREA DURING THE NEXT 24 HOURS. PREPARATIONS TO PROTECT LIFE AND PROPERTY SHOULD BE RUSHED TO COMPLETION. AT 5 PM EDT...A TROPICAL STORM WARNING HAS BEEN ISSUED FROM NORTH OF
OREGON INLET TO THE NORTH CAROLINA/VIRGINIA BORDER...INCLUDING THE ALBEMARLE SOUND. A TROPICAL STORM WARNING REMAINS IN EFFECT FROM SOUTH SANTEE RIVER SOUTH CAROLINA TO CAPE LOOKOUT NORTH CAROLINA. AT 5 PM EDT...2100Z...THE CENTER OF TROPICAL STORM ALEX WAS LOCATED NEAR LATITUDE 32.1 NORTH...LONGITUDE 78.5 WEST OR ABOUT 150 MILES
SOUTH-SOUTHWEST OF WILMINGTON NORTH CAROLINA.
ALEX IS MOVING TOWARD THE NORTH-NORTHEAST NEAR 6 MPH. A TURN TOWARD THE NORTHEAST IS EXPECTED TONIGHT. ON THE FORECAST TRACK...THE CENTER OF ALEX IS EXPECTED TO PASS VERY NEAR THE NORTH
CAROLINA OUTER BANKS TOMORROW. MAXIMUM SUSTAINED WINDS ARE NEAR 60 MPH... 95 KM/HR...WITH HIGHER GUSTS. ALEX IS FORECAST TO BECOME A HURRICANE DURING THE NEXT 24 HOURS. TROPICAL STORM FORCE WINDS EXTEND OUTWARD UP TO 105 MILES
...165 KM FROM THE CENTER. ESTIMATED MINIMUM CENTRAL PRESSURE IS 993 MB...29.32 INCHES.
STORM TOTAL RAINFALL ACCUMULATIONS OF 2-3 INCHES...WITH ISOLATED HIGHER AMOUNTS...CAN BE EXPECTED IN ASSOCIATION WITH ALEX. COASTAL STORM SURGE FLOODING OF 1-2 FEET ABOVE NORMAL TIDE LEVELS CAN BE EXPECTED ON ATLANTIC SHORELINES. STORM SURGE FLOODING OF 2-4 FEET ABOVE NORMAL TIDE LEVELS CAN BE EXPECTED INSIDE PAMLICO SOUND.
HIGH SURF AND RIP CURRENTS WILL AFFECT MUCH OF THE SOUTHEASTERN AND MID-ATLANTIC U.S. COASTAL AREAS FOR THE NEXT COUPLE OF DAYS. REPEATING THE 5 PM EDT POSITION...32.1 N... 78.5 W. MOVEMENT TOWARD...NORTH-NORTHEAST NEAR 6 MPH. MAXIMUM SUSTAINED
WINDS... 60 MPH. MINIMUM CENTRAL PRESSURE... 993 MB.
FOR STORM INFORMATION SPECIFIC TO YOUR AREA... PLEASE MONITOR PRODUCTS ISSUED BY YOUR LOCAL WEATHER OFFICE. AN INTERMEDIATE ADVISORY WILL BE ISSUED BY THE National Hurricane Center AT 8 PM EDT FOLLOWED BY THE NEXT COMPLETE ADVISORY AT 11 PM EDT. FORECASTER FRANKLIN

Edited by hurricane_run (Mon Aug 02 2004 04:55 PM)

summercyclone
Weather Hobbyist

Reged: Wed
Loc: Florida Big Bend
Re: Alex and waves [Re: LI Phil]
      #17450 - Mon Aug 02 2004 04:50 PM

Hey Phil-

Alex looks just great!! Better than ever!.......

sc

Edited by summercyclone (Mon Aug 02 2004 04:53 PM)

LI Phil
User

Re: Hurricane Warnings [Re: James88]
      #17451 - Mon Aug 02 2004 04:54 PM

Well, I was right about the hurricane warnings. Latest track takes Alex very close to Hattaras as a hurricane. JB did a 4:15 update and he's much more bullish on a more westerly track, landfalling Alex over or even west of Hattaras; he thinks hurricane conditions will be possible from Cape Lookout to Oregon Inlet, hinting at the possibility of gales as far north as the VA coast.

Hey Mike, if that happens, will you be making the trek to the shore for some photos, or is this too weak for that?

Tomorrow should be very interesting as we could have Hurricane Alex and TD2.

Oh, and Joe thinks a threat to PR might be "in the cards" for Thursday night and Friday. Luis, you got a camcorder?

--------------------

BUCKLE UP!

MikeCAdministrator
Admin

Loc: Orlando, FL
Re: Hurricane Warnings [Re: LI Phil]
      #17452 - Mon Aug 02 2004 04:57 PM

Quote:

Hey Mike, if that happens, will you be making the trek to the shore for some photos, or is this too weak for that?

I might hit VA Beach tomorrow afternoon if it looks like it -- I'm doubting Joe on his track though. We'll see.

bobbi
Unregistered

alex, bonnie?, black out rain in miami and other tropical thoughts [Re: MikeC]
      #17453 - Mon Aug 02 2004 05:18 PM

My question is..
If someone wanted to go take a day or two off and get near enough to take some pictures.. feel some effects...

Would it be worth a trip to the Outter Banks (have been asked here..) or should they just wait til the next wave that might become Bonnie or Charles.

Why does that feel like a song cue should start?

Alex looks good.. better than he has.. like the way he looks on visible. Can finally follow the area the hurricane center was.. Enough of an unknown on intensity forecasting that it is worth the warning being posted. Agree there.

Wave..boy that thing makes my heart go pitter patter. Just to watch it turn on itself and look like a real tropical disturbance should look on its way to depression or storm status. You can see so well where the bands would be IF it did become a hurricane. Don't need a great imagination there.. boy is it a classic.

Miami is having heavy rain again. Not as electrically bad but really dark here at 5..feels like 8.

I don't like people saying there is nothing to worry about when a wave is this far out. It hasn't formed. Models without a verified center are pretty much for entertainment purposes only and may I say .. I am being entertained. So.. not paying attn to anyone screaming FISH or put up warnings before something has even been named. It's a waiting game.. we all know that.

btw.. what did Mr. Bastardi say? Please.. pretty please with strawberries on top.

Bobbi

LI Phil
User

Re: alex, bonnie?, black out rain in miami and other tropical thoughts [Re: bobbi]
      #17454 - Mon Aug 02 2004 05:21 PM

>>> btw.. what did Mr. Bastardi say? Please.. pretty please with strawberries on top.

Uh...I just posted his thoughts 2-3 posts ago...

--------------------

BUCKLE UP!

Anonymous
Unregistered

Re: alex, bonnie?, black out rain in miami and other tropical thoughts [Re: bobbi]
      #17455 - Mon Aug 02 2004 05:24 PM

IMHO, a trip to the Outer Banks is always worthwhile. I've only been there once (several day trip), but it rocked hard. All those ferry rides down the islands to get to the next one. Okacroke Island and all the zillions of shipwrecks over the years. That place is a graveyard.

Steve

MikeCAdministrator
Admin

Loc: Orlando, FL
Next Recon [Re: Anonymous]
      #17456 - Mon Aug 02 2004 05:28 PM

For once I'm waiting on the next aircraft recon data set, the activity right now on alex's track and intensity will determine what it winds up doing.

Rich B
British Meteorologist

Reged: Sat
Loc: Gloucestershire, England, UK
Re: alex, bonnie?, black out rain in miami and other tropical thoughts [Re: Anonymous]
      #17457 - Mon Aug 02 2004 05:34 PM

Hey guys,
once again it will be interesting to see what the recon finds when it gets out to Alex this evening / tonight. I think we could see the core make a glancing blow across Cape Hatteras, posible over the Outer Banks in general, but dont think we will see a mainland landfall. Also think Alex will become a Hurricane before it reaches the coast or its point of closest approach.

91L looking impressive, and with TNumbers as they are i think this is probable a candidate for TD2 tonight or early Tuesday.

Regards

--------------------
Rich B

SkyWarn UK

Anonymous
Unregistered

Re: alex, bonnie?, black out rain in miami and other tropical thoughts [Re: Rich B]
      #17458 - Mon Aug 02 2004 05:47 PM

91L looks good 11pm

Rabbit
Weather Master

Reged: Sat
Loc: Central Florida
Re: alex, bonnie?, black out rain in miami and other tropical thoughts [Re: Anonymous]
      #17459 - Mon Aug 02 2004 06:01 PM

earlier today it appeared as if an eye formed and then filled back in. what apparantly happened was a bit of shear and dry air worked into the center and then the system reorganized, covering the center back up. Meaning this system is likely not peaked yet as the ir loop shows another blow up of convection over the center. As for the radar appearance, the eye is once again evident and appears to have spun faster slightly in the last couple of frames.

91L continues to become better organized, and I will be very surprised if it is not upgraded at either 11pm or 5am tomorrow.

Sort of interesting we have nothing until July 31, and the season begins to take off right at the beginning of August.

rmbjoe1954
Weather Master

Reged: Tue
Loc: Port Saint Lucie, Florida, USA
Dr. Gray's Seasonal Forecast -August Update [Re: Rabbit]
      #17460 - Mon Aug 02 2004 06:15 PM

I am looking forward to his update; I bet he will not reduce the forecasted number based on the hefty activity in the Atlantic basin.

I remain firm at 14-10-4.

--------------------
________2023 Forecast: 20/10/5________

There is little chance that meteorologists can solve the mysteries of weather until they gain an understanding of the mutual attraction of rain and weekends. ~Arnot Sheppard

LoisCane
Veteran Storm Chaser

Loc: South Florida
good idea joe [Re: rmbjoe1954]
      #17461 - Mon Aug 02 2004 07:12 PM

Remain Firm. Definitely!!

Think would be premature to stop now when we are so close.

Look at those waves...
Takes your breath away.. takes mine away.

--------------------
http://hurricaneharbor.blogspot.com/

LoisCane
Veteran Storm Chaser

Loc: South Florida
strawberry wishes... [Re: LI Phil]
      #17462 - Mon Aug 02 2004 07:15 PM

Can't find where you posted Bastardi's thoughts on the wave train ....other than some nebulous comment about cyclone needing to maybe watch it.

--------------------
http://hurricaneharbor.blogspot.com/

WxNLUcantlogin
Unregistered

Things are popping now! [Re: rmbjoe1954]
      #17463 - Mon Aug 02 2004 07:18 PM

We have Alex, 91L looks like a TD already, 92L is right behind it and now just entering the picture on the METEOSAT is another huge blob of red. I guess good things come to those who wait, huh? Now let's just hope no one has to deal with these things!

LI Phil
User

Re: strawberry wishes... [Re: LoisCane]
      #17464 - Mon Aug 02 2004 07:54 PM

>>> Can't find where you posted Bastardi's thoughts on the wave train ....other than some nebulous comment about cyclone needing to maybe watch it.

The second paft of the post alludes to 91L (PR). The first pertains to Alex.

"JB did a 4:15 update and he's much more bullish on a more westerly track, landfalling Alex over or even west of Hattaras; he thinks hurricane conditions will be possible from Cape Lookout to Oregon Inlet, hinting at the possibility of gales as far north as the VA coast."

and

"Oh, and Joe thinks a threat to PR might be "in the cards" for Thursday night and Friday."

--------------------

BUCKLE UP!

Jamiewx
Storm Tracker

Reged: Wed
Loc: Orlando, Florida
91L [Re: WxNLUcantlogin]
      #17466 - Mon Aug 02 2004 08:09 PM

T-numbers for 91L now at 2.0/2.0 which is 30kts, so we may have our Depression #2 at 11pm

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | >> (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 177 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  MikeC, Ed Dunham, danielw 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating: *****
Topic views: 24350

Rate this topic

Jump to

Note: This is NOT an official page. It is run by weather hobbyists and should not be used as a replacement for official sources. 
CFHC's main servers are currently located at
Hostdime.com in Orlando, FL.
Image Server Network thanks to Mike Potts and Amazon Web Services. If you have static file hosting space that allows dns aliasing contact us to help out! Some Maps Provided by:
Great thanks to all who donated and everyone who uses the site as well. Site designed for 800x600+ resolution
When in doubt, take the word of the National Hurricane Center