F
Current Radar or Satellite Image

Flhurricane.com - Central Florida Hurricane Center - Tracking Storms since 1995Hurricanes Without the Hype! Since 1995

Special Tropical Weather Outlook issued for area in the East-Central Atlantic, only with 10% chance for development, not expected to do much.
Days since last H. Landfall - US: Any 238 (Idalia) , Major: 238 (Idalia) Florida - Any: 238 (Idalia) Major: 238 (Idalia)

News Talkback >> 2004 News Talkbacks

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | >> (show all)
Rasvar
Weather Master

Reged:
Loc: Tallahassee, Fl
Re: Left shift in models [Re: Lake Toho - Kissimmee]
      #19525 - Thu Aug 12 2004 09:11 PM

Quote:

If you noticed they discounted this because the hurricane was to 30-60 NMiles east of the model tracks., as well as the trough that they think will keep it from moving west.

Good point. I had actually missed that and the error. Very interesting though how just a little bit of difference now leads to completely different scenario. Like trying to throw a baseball through a softball size hole from 50 feet seems to be this forecast.

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
hurricane_run
Storm Tracker

Reged:
Loc: USA
Re: Charley on close radar [Re: hurricane_run]
      #19526 - Thu Aug 12 2004 09:12 PM

Here is the still image.

hurricane_run
Storm Tracker

Reged:
Loc: USA
Charley Forcast Strength [Re: hurricane_run]
      #19527 - Thu Aug 12 2004 09:16 PM

Charley is forcast to be a cat 3 at 2 am tomorrow. And that is just on the coast of cuba. (could be off its a forcast)
Forcast Tracking map

Edited by hurricane_run (Thu Aug 12 2004 09:17 PM)

Anonymous
Unregistered

Re: Bonnie Stays a Tropical Storm Changes in Charley Track [Re: MikeC]
      #19528 - Thu Aug 12 2004 09:19 PM

i wish Charley would come hit us in tallahassee bc bonnie sucked :?:

one last warning: from here on, will be deleting all unsigned anon. posts. HF

Edited by HanKFranK (Thu Aug 12 2004 09:31 PM)

WXMAN RICHIE
Weather Master

Reged:
Loc: Boynton Beach, FL
Warnings / Watches [Re: hurricane_run]
      #19530 - Thu Aug 12 2004 09:21 PM

As of 5 pm, there is either a hurricane or tropical storm watch or warning for the entire Florida peninsula from the Georgia/Florida border all the way down the east coast through the keys and back up the west coast all the way to the Suwannee River. The only exception is along the coast of Dade, Broward, and Palm Beach counties. This certainly doesn't happen very often.

--------------------
Another typical August:
Hurricane activity is increasing and the Red Sox are choking.

Live weather from my backyard:
http://www.wunderground.com/weatherstation/WXDailyHistory.asp?ID=KFLBOYNT4

HanKFranK
User

Reged:
Loc: Graniteville, SC
5pm discussion/implications [Re: HanKFranK]
      #19531 - Thu Aug 12 2004 09:21 PM

bye bonnie. got some good rain here today (more than all july actually) but that looks to be over. really blew the intensity, but that landfall point wasn't bad 48 hrs out.
charley i'm not going to go into great detail on. lots of hype here, lots of half-truths floating around. i'll try to cut to the chase. Charley has moved into the outflow-enhancing quadrant of the upper low to the west.. with the polar-oriented exit region for it's own outflow along the deep trough in the eastern u.s. equates to near optimal intensification conditions for the system on it's track (the NHC mention of less conducive condtions near landfall as a last minute check). tight structure of the inner core leaves the possibility for an eyewall replacement cycle to take place if it rapidly intensifies.. as another potential last minute weakening regime.. maybe even flat western cuba will somehow put the kibosh on Charley's strengthening run.. but on the whole Charley should landfall in a stronger, maybe signficantly stronger state.
as usual there is some wishcasting.. most of it from south florida.. calling for a right bend and an irene scenario. not very plausible, but i'm not ready to completely junk their ideas.. but almost ready to start pointing and laughing.
i put my crosshairs on sanibel island the other night. gonna stay with it even though the official is to the left of a lee/collier/charlotte co. landfall.
i'm going to hedge my bet that Charley is a category four tomorrow. not necessarily at landfall, but i do think it will top out around 120/125kt. the pressure may only be down to around 950mb or so, but the tight inner core should compensate for that. with a hit/graze around pinellas county the surge and hydraulic forcing of the winds into tampa bay would make those planned evacuations look like a very good idea.. 20/25ft above msl flood with breakers and hurricane force winds on top of it all would not be a good thing for tampa st. pete. this is the worst possible scenario.. chances of it are maybe not even very high... but the emergency management isn't going to take a chance like that.
should come ashore 3-4pm or so if it chooses tampa. sarasota and the fort myers area are also in trouble.. directly or indirectly. chances up the coast are fair for major impact as well, but past tampa land interaction or shear should take some of the edge off.. a landfall up near levy or dixie county probably wouldn't be that of a major hurricane.
then northeast FL/coastal ga/south carolina get whatever is left over. possibly still a hurricane, probably a more tame t.s.
recap. you already know the drill. very likely a major hurricane will impact the west coast of florida on friday.. highest strike probability is the tampa metro area.
elsewhere in the basin. disturbance i've been agitating for is trying to coalesce near 10/40. fairly pissant now, but some global support for a weak low to form there. chances mediocre to average that we have an invest further west in a couple days.
immediate invest and Dvorak-rated wave/low just coming off africa.. 94L. it's holding a 1.0 but fairly to the north.. probably going to lose convection and then struggle back up as it gets further west. chance it will deepen from the outset.. but at 14-15N latitude it isn't going to have the greatest conditions for the first couple days in the atlantic. i'd say fair chances it will be a depression by sunday or so.
won't be hearing complaints about a slow season anymore, i supppose. this is not going to be pretty.
HF 2121z12august

LI Phil
User

Reged:
Loc: Long Island (40.7N 73.6W)
Re: 5pm discussion/implications [Re: HanKFranK]
      #19533 - Thu Aug 12 2004 09:40 PM

An excellent discussion, as always.

To reiterate what HanKFranK said on the previous page, for those of you who may not have read it or overlooked it...

Anonymous posts will be removed. You don't have to join CFHC (it's free and the benefits are great) but you are going to have to ID yourself in some way. We'd like to encourage you to join, because there will be times when you cannot post if you are not registered. Don't worry, you won't get spammed or anything, and a valid e-mail address is all that is needed (to send you your password). They are kept completely confidential.

That being said, this website is more than likely going to be bursting to the seams tomorrow (if not before), and Mike may be forced to go into registration only mode.

Bandwidth drag was somewhat eased yesterday when Mike was able to work a little computer magic, but it could again become an issue. Please DO NOT POST ANY IMAGES within your post, use a URL.

You guys were great today and we want to keep it that way. We've got a very serious threat on our hands but we also need to separate out the wishcasting and mongering. If you're going to state something, try to back it up with actual meterology (although gut calls work too).

Carry on...

--------------------
2005 Forecast: 14/7/4

BUCKLE UP!

"If your topic ain't tropic, your post will be toast"

tornado00
Weather Hobbyist

Reged:
Loc: Maitland, Florida, USA
Re: Charley Forcast Strength [Re: hurricane_run]
      #19534 - Thu Aug 12 2004 09:49 PM

Well I'm in Maitland, and I just pray Charley doesn't come over my house. If this storm becomes a Cat. 3, or heaven forbid a Cat.4, it'll cause damage unimaginable to us in orlando. We have sooo many old trees just rotting, its not a good situation.

--------------------
Derek Sutherland

Robert
Weather Analyst

Reged:
Loc: Southeast, FL
Hank Frank [Re: tornado00]
      #19535 - Thu Aug 12 2004 10:18 PM

im living in Stuart florida on a Boat with the thought of a 100 mile error the diffrence between TS Winds And 100 mph winds And Time Just ticking Away. I live on the edge of a river that Connects to lake Ocachobee
Controlled bye Flood gates desined to dry up south florida. In this Arena a 50 mile track error means the diffrence between the eyewall crossing over the lake and unloading 10- 20 inches of rain. And the Possibility of those flood gates going open fool bore down my neck of the woods. its happend before with 20 inches and im talking 8 feet of water where my car normally sits, sea level to 8 feet on land in 2 hours. With virtually no warning, and were talking major hurricane and a storm surge to top it off.

Robert
Weather Analyst

Reged:
Re: Hank Frank [Re: Robert]
      #19536 - Thu Aug 12 2004 10:20 PM

and further more the trough is coming down without any sighns of stalling . And why hasent the NHC updated thier discussion is there something that worry them im getting fed up with waiting for the damn storm to figure out what its going to do.

tornado00
Weather Hobbyist

Reged:
Loc: Maitland, Florida, USA
Re: Hank Frank [Re: Robert]
      #19537 - Thu Aug 12 2004 10:27 PM

So if the trough dips further south what does that mean to the hurricane. Sorry I'm I sound like an airhead, I'm new at this.

--------------------
Derek Sutherland

ROB H
Weather Watcher

Reged:
Loc: Clearwater, FL.
Re: 5pm discussion/implications [Re: LI Phil]
      #19538 - Thu Aug 12 2004 10:31 PM

I have lived in north pinellas county for the past 20 years,
and have never seen such a panic situation as we have
here now, if this track verifies we are in serious trouble
as you probably know mandatory evacuations for pinellas
and hillsborough coumties are underway, we are talking
about around 700,000.00 people. unbelievable.

Edited by ROB H (Thu Aug 12 2004 10:34 PM)

Kimster
Weather Hobbyist

Reged:
Loc: Dunedin, FL
Re: 5pm discussion/implications [Re: ROB H]
      #19539 - Thu Aug 12 2004 10:55 PM

RobH, Are you planning to evacuate?

ChrisT
Verified CFHC User

Reged:
Loc: Coral Gables/Sanibel Island
Re: 5pm discussion/implications [Re: Kimster]
      #19540 - Thu Aug 12 2004 11:16 PM

Does anyone have an alternate link to view the latest data vortex msgs? I'm having a little trouble with delays in the NHC/TPC sites. Thanks.

Anonymous
Unregistered

Re: 5pm discussion/implications [Re: ChrisT]
      #19541 - Thu Aug 12 2004 11:22 PM

Go to atwc.org and check out Recon-Vortex Messages. They have 4 or 5 alt sites if I remember correctly.

Anonymousteve

Edited by John C (Thu Aug 12 2004 11:28 PM)

ChrisT
Verified CFHC User

Reged:
Loc: Coral Gables/Sanibel Island
Re: 5pm discussion/implications [Re: Anonymous]
      #19542 - Thu Aug 12 2004 11:32 PM

Thanks. Pressure 978mb. It noted the western eye-wall was open to the west a couple of hours ago. Doesn't appear open anymore. Hopefully Cuba will be cool with some recon later tonight.

GuppieGrouper
Weather Master

Reged:
Loc: Polk County, Florida
      #19543 - Thu Aug 12 2004 11:35 PM

Just wanted to report that central florida in Polk County does not look like a hurricane is coming tomorrow. It looks like a normal Sunny August afternoon. It is almost impossible to believe, emotionally. There is a light breeze no more than what we usually get from the afternoon sea breeze. I keep having to pinch myself and intellectually move myself to make preparations. It just does not look real.
I hope everyone else is not feeling this way.

--------------------
God commands. Laymen guess. Scientists record.

Robert
Weather Analyst

Reged:
      #19544 - Thu Aug 12 2004 11:35 PM

Is anyone else having problems with the NHC website with thier advisory's 5pm should be advisory 14 where is it and what gives??

Londovir
Weather Guru

Reged:
Loc: Lakeland, FL
Re: 5pm discussion/implications [Re: ChrisT]
      #19545 - Thu Aug 12 2004 11:35 PM

Well, one interesting note from the 5:48pm recon data run from Charley: the eye wasn't found to be circular. It's listed as being elongated, open eye, running SW-NE, about 15nm wide and 20nm long. Worst winds found to be 82kts, which is a lot less than the 102kts found earlier. Altogether you'd think that's all good news, except the pressure is 978, which ain't good, not at all.

Interesting. Add another 31,000 people in Manatee that just got their evac orders. We're up to about 800,000 total people on west coast told to boogie out....

Londovir

LoisCane
Veteran Storm Chaser

Reged:
Loc: South Florida
what are scenarios for stall? [Re: ChrisT]
      #19546 - Thu Aug 12 2004 11:37 PM

ive heard this but no one has gone into detail

where and when...
if you heard them..post them with source
thanks

--------------------
http://hurricaneharbor.blogspot.com/

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | >> (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 137 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating: ****
Topic views: 64333

Rate this topic

Jump to

Note: This is NOT an official page. It is run by weather hobbyists and should not be used as a replacement for official sources. 
CFHC's main servers are currently located at
Hostdime.com in Orlando, FL.
Image Server Network thanks to Mike Potts and Amazon Web Services. If you have static file hosting space that allows dns aliasing contact us to help out! Some Maps Provided by:
Great thanks to all who donated and everyone who uses the site as well. Site designed for 800x600+ resolution
When in doubt, take the word of the National Hurricane Center