F
Current Radar or Satellite Image

Flhurricane.com - Central Florida Hurricane Center - Tracking Storms since 1995Hurricanes Without the Hype! Since 1995

Chill falls over the Atlantic as the official season heads towards close
Days since last H. Landfall - US: Any 211 (Idalia) , Major: 211 (Idalia) Florida - Any: 211 (Idalia) Major: 211 (Idalia)
None
COMMUNICATION
STORM DATA
CONTENT
FOLLOW US
ADS
Login to remove ads

News Talkback >> 2004 News Talkbacks

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | (show all)
LI Phil
User

Reged: Fri
Loc: Long Island (40.7N 73.6W)
Storm Stories [Re: Colleen A.]
      #20393 - Mon Aug 16 2004 12:52 PM

The more you guys post, the worse I feel. While I have never met one person on this board, you feel more like family to me than some of even my family members. I suppose as long as you came out of this alive, then you did alright. Hopefully everyone has insurance and the material possessions can be replaced. That won't make it right, but it will make it better.

I've decided to make an executive decision on my own and will discuss it with the other mods...

I'm leaving all the personal storm stories up on the main board. If it helps to ease the healing process, you shouldn't have to hunt for the proper "forum," just post away. This may not go over with my fellow moderators, but at least for the time being put up whatever you want to right here. (within reason).

Everyone here owes John, Mike & Ed an incredible amount of gratitude for having this site, and especially to Mike for trying to keep the site & the important storm info running during the crucial hours before the storm made landfall.

Peace y'all and all be safe.

LI Phil

--------------------
2005 Forecast: 14/7/4

BUCKLE UP!

"If your topic ain't tropic, your post will be toast"

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
MikeCAdministrator
Admin

Reged: Sun
Loc: Orlando, FL
Re: Tropical Storm Earl and Danielle [Re: MikeC]
      #20397 - Mon Aug 16 2004 02:12 PM

Ok I'm back in Southeast VA today, flew from Orlando International (it has roof damage and some gates are malfunctioning)

I'm checking on earl (Quick looks say mexico) and more for later, but tons of things to do for my regular job so it may be a while. I did notice something very odd. On my trip from New Smyrna Beach to Orlando International Airport, we took the Greeneway and crossed over lake Jessup. It's like every fish in the entire lake died, it's a massive fish kill there. Dead fish every few feet all across the lake, I've never seen anything like it.

Anyone know what happened there?

Colleen A.

Reged: Sat
Loc: Florida
Re: Tropical Storm Earl and Danielle [Re: MikeC]
      #20398 - Mon Aug 16 2004 02:47 PM

The only thing I can think of is that maybe the lake was emptied when Charley passed through it and then when the back side of it came back in? But I don't know if that would happen in a lake. I know they said that all the water would be pushed out of the mouth of Tampa Bay and then back in, but that's a bay, not a lake.

Another explanation might be some kind of contamination of the lake that could have nothing to do with Charley.

--------------------
You know you're a hurricane freak when you wake up in the morning and hit "REFRESH" on CFHC instead of the Snooze Button.

LI Phil
User

Loc: Long Island (40.7N 73.6W)
Dead fishes [Re: MikeC]
      #20399 - Mon Aug 16 2004 02:52 PM

This occurred in 1987, and may be the same cause:

August 13,1987

More than three million fish floated belly up in Lake Jessup in what some called the worst fish kill in the lake's history.

The dead fish, victims of an algae bloom, covered the southern shore of the 10,000 acre lake.

Vultures and alligators feasted on the bloated remains, stacked 20 deep in some places along the shore.

Interesting the date...

--------------------
2005 Forecast: 14/7/4

BUCKLE UP!

"If your topic ain't tropic, your post will be toast"

Larry
Weather Watcher

Loc: Raleigh, NC
Re: Dead fishes [Re: LI Phil]
      #20400 - Mon Aug 16 2004 03:00 PM

Per the attached link, Hurricane Isabel contributed to fish kills here in NC due to lowered oxygen levels. This could be what happened there too.

Larry

Hurricane Isabel Spawns Fish Kills in Northeastern North Carolina

James88
Weather Master

Reged: Tue
Loc: Gloucestershire, England, UK
Cape Verde Wave [Re: Larry]
      #20403 - Mon Aug 16 2004 05:02 PM

The wave over by the Cape Verde's looks like it is becoming better organised. Does anyone see this becoming Frances?

StormHound
Weather Guru

Reged: Sun
Loc: Orlando, FL
Charley [Re: James88]
      #20404 - Mon Aug 16 2004 05:25 PM

Since it looks like Phil is letting us post here, I have some pictures from SW Orlando (Hunter's Creek area) where we took the eye pretty much head on.

http://users.adelphia.net/~parra/charley/index.html

Not as bad as other areas, I know, but since we were so far from landfall I can only imagine how bad it is further south.

--------------------
Storm Hound
Computer Geek

James88
Weather Master

Loc: Gloucestershire, England, UK
Re: Just a tropical wave [Re: SirCane]
      #20407 - Mon Aug 16 2004 05:57 PM

It doesn't look like Earl will be reborn anytime soon - his remnants are cruising along at 30mph! Now that's fast. While convection is trying to organise itself, I do think it may have trouble keeping up at that kind of speed. Any thoughts?

Edited by James88 (Mon Aug 16 2004 06:00 PM)

alan
Weather Hobbyist

Reged: Wed
Loc: Apopka, FL
Re: news coverage [Re: Ricreig]
      #20408 - Mon Aug 16 2004 06:13 PM

A tough story about the DC-3 talked about in a previous post. The owner has spent two years restoring the plane. He was about two weeks from getting the plane in flight before the storm. He chained the landing gear to the tarmac for the storm. After the storm, the landing gear was still chained to the ground and the plane went through three hangars. My friend's plane was in hangar No. 4. Amazing how things work.
At the office today, most people came in. About half were still without power. Almost everyone lost power for at least 12 hours. Damage to a few houses, but nothing too serious. The worst was someone whose parents live in Port Charlotte. Their home is gone.

Ricreig
User

Reged: Sat
Loc: Orlando, Fl
Re: news coverage [Re: alan]
      #20443 - Tue Aug 17 2004 07:46 AM

Quote:

A tough story about the DC-3 talked about in a previous post. The owner has spent two years restoring the plane. He was about two weeks from getting the plane in flight before the storm. He chained the landing gear to the tarmac for the storm. After the storm, the landing gear was still chained to the ground and the plane went through three hangars. (quote) As a pilot, I feel bad for your friend, and fellow pilots that lost their 'love'. On the other hand, I feel much worse for those that lost everything, or worse, their lives or the lives of loved ones. ... but a DC-3...that is kind of like losing a loved one, isn't it? They don't make them like that anymore. My class is having a discussion about this right now....I teach at High-Tech Institute and we were talking about Charley, the damage, loss of life and property. I mentioned the DC-3 to them and someone said...so what...it was an old airplane.... I told them that the plane was part of a breed that made a real contribution to the defeat of the Hitler Ilk....He happens to be a black student....He then said, you know, that plane *was* important....I probably wouldn't be here if the Allies had lost the war, Hitler didn't like blacks too much, did he? ....he too was then sad at it's loss.

--------------------
Richard
A forecast is NOT a promise!

suziar

Loc: AZ
Re: Just a tropical wave [Re: Frank P]
      #20445 - Tue Aug 17 2004 09:23 AM

Hello, I can't find any information on the exact path and direction of Hurricane Charley and I am wanting to know if my brother, who actually likes to be kept private, all I can say is that his business is Art Glass; if I think he needs some assistance at this time, I will then call him. If Palm Harbor area was spared, I'd like to know. Thanks, Suziar

Anonymous
Unregistered

Re: Just a tropical wave [Re: suziar]
      #20446 - Tue Aug 17 2004 10:17 AM

Wind gusts in Palm Harbor maxxed out around 25mph. No damage at all.

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 205 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  MikeC, Ed Dunham, danielw 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating: *****
Topic views: 37351

Rate this topic

Jump to

Note: This is NOT an official page. It is run by weather hobbyists and should not be used as a replacement for official sources. 
CFHC's main servers are currently located at
Hostdime.com in Orlando, FL.
Image Server Network thanks to Mike Potts and Amazon Web Services. If you have static file hosting space that allows dns aliasing contact us to help out! Some Maps Provided by:
Great thanks to all who donated and everyone who uses the site as well. Site designed for 800x600+ resolution
When in doubt, take the word of the National Hurricane Center