F
Current Radar or Satellite Image

Flhurricane.com - Central Florida Hurricane Center - Tracking Storms since 1995Hurricanes Without the Hype! Since 1995

The 2024 Atlantic Hurricane Season Begins on June 1st and lasts until Nov 30th. NHC Outlooks resume on May 15th..
Days since last H. Landfall - US: Any 238 (Idalia) , Major: 238 (Idalia) Florida - Any: 238 (Idalia) Major: 238 (Idalia)

News Talkback >> 2004 News Talkbacks

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | >> (show all)
Steve
Senior Storm Chaser

Reged:
Loc: Metairie, LA
Re: question on mjo [Re: LoisCane]
      #20550 - Thu Aug 19 2004 01:50 PM

Hey Lois. Tough to say. models forecast it back to positive, but they don't go much farther than 15 days out (or at least not any links @ NCEP do that I know of).

Steve

--------------------
MF'n Super Bowl Champions

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Cycloneye
Storm Tracker

Reged:
Loc: Puerto Rico
Re: question on mjo [Re: Steve]
      #20551 - Thu Aug 19 2004 02:07 PM

http://www.cpc.ncep.noaa.gov/products/global_precip/gif/am_ir_monthly_1.gif

Here is the latest on MJO.The wet phase or favorable is about to spill into the atlantic as the green lines show at link above.

--------------------
My 2004 hurricane season forecast=13/8/3

Anonymous
Unregistered

Re: question on mjo [Re: Cycloneye]
      #20552 - Thu Aug 19 2004 03:39 PM

The wave at approx. 21W10N looks quite impressive on recent sat pics...maybe an Invest later today. Think I read that the models have been playing with it...right?

bobbistorm
Unregistered

cyclone... please clarify [Re: Cycloneye]
      #20555 - Thu Aug 19 2004 06:29 PM

When you say "just about" ... give a rough estimate please. I'm not very clear on how fast it moves and think at times the pace is different.

Thanks

Anonymous
Unregistered

Re: cyclone... please clarify [Re: bobbistorm]
      #20558 - Thu Aug 19 2004 06:54 PM

Here's the post from the Morhead City am forecast:
TROPICALLY SPEAKING...AFTER
AUGUSTS ROBUST 2 WEEK OPENING ASSAULT OF ALEX/BONNIE/CHARLEY...NOT
FORGETTING DISTANT DANIELLE AND WHAT WAS EARL...ALL BASICALLY QUIET
ON THE GULF/CARIB/TROPICAL ATLANTIC FRONTS SAVE TO SAY NHC KEEPING
EYE ON TROPICAL WAVE LOCATED ABOUT 1000 MI E OF THE WINDWARDS MOVING
BRISKLY W IN THE ITCZ LOW-LEVEL EASTERLY 20-25 MPH FLOW OF IT ALL.

Cycloneye
Storm Tracker

Reged:
Loc: Puerto Rico
Re: cyclone... please clarify [Re: bobbistorm]
      #20561 - Thu Aug 19 2004 07:27 PM

http://www-das.uwyo.edu/~geerts/cwx/notes/chap12/mjo.html

In the link it is all explained in detail because I dont know how to explain all the technnical things about it.

--------------------
My 2004 hurricane season forecast=13/8/3

LONNY307
Unregistered

Re:CHANGES [Re: Cycloneye]
      #20562 - Thu Aug 19 2004 08:13 PM

http://www.ssd.noaa.gov/PS/TROP/DATA/RT/eatl-wv-loop.html. When looking at the loop you can see in white shade the short wave trough that I guess is loaded with dry air heading southwest. If the wave around 10n25w can get by the trough it may have a chance. This to me, seems the reason why the tropics got quiet all of a sudden. As long as another trough doesn't come by in this area, I think we will be back in business.

HanKFranK
User

Reged:
Loc: Graniteville, SC
out there a bit [Re: LONNY307]
      #20566 - Thu Aug 19 2004 10:25 PM

not going spend too much time in subtropical dreamland... just try and ID the upcoming pattern. danielle has bowed to GFS, ignored the rest.. so it will linger south of the azores as a weak system. i'm impressed by GFS lately.. been doing a good job. pattern right now is somewhat amplified.. with a rex sort of block east of newfoundland (mid/upper ridge far north with a cutoff piece stuck in the ridge to the south). emerging pattern won't support that.. things are flattening out now. subtropical ridge axis near 25N.. far to the south. with NAO going negative the troughs which have been sticking should start to split, so the wavelengths ought to be shortening some and upper height anomalies should start backing westward. subtropical-type development possible with splits and such.. nothing in particular looks that way for now. GFS has a pattern.. still a week or so out.. with the atlantic ridge axis lifting poleward a tad, and weakening in the central atlantic.. height anomalies in the east and west atlantic. if this ends up verifying.. well, ridging near the east coast will be there to bring west what doesn't go out up the middle.. with retrograding ridge axes a storm that pairs with a height max will get far to the west. something to mind this time of year. it'll have to keep showing from run to run before being taken seriously.
as for culprits.. the lead wave is flat, low amplitude.. ITCZ only sort of stuff. i don't expect much from it. no cookie there. wave near the cv islands right now has more convection, but still fairly flat. GFS tracking some of it's energy on an initially more northwestward path.. through the big mass of subsidence drawn down on the back side of danielle.. which given GFS recent successes merits consideration. some future waves getting attention.. but that's not worth much until they come off.
activity popping up in the eastpac finally this month is probably heralding MJO's arrival.. been a non player so far this year, have to see what it can do.
enjoy the quiet while it lasts. that TD in the eastpac suggests it won't stick around. counter is on.. usually 5-10 days
HF 2225z19august

Edited by HanKFranK (Fri Aug 20 2004 09:40 PM)

RedingtonBeachGuy

Reged:
Loc: St. Cloud, FL
Re: out there a bit [Re: HanKFranK]
      #20567 - Thu Aug 19 2004 11:16 PM

"If you guys & gals need to emote, I pretty much think the whole board is in agreement that it is absolutely fine to do so."

Dang State is shipping generators to the counties to insure the elections go smoothly. Never mind the thousands upon thousands who don't have power and can't afford generators and are enduring the heat 24/7 -- at least government will run smoothly.

Now, if they had provided those same generators to the social departments and allowed a few homes/blocks to have some refrigeration (much less a fan or small a/c), it sure would make more sense. What a pity if the elections are thrown off a week or two.. oh boy.

Sorry.. had to rant after seeing what I have seen.

it's o.k., hurricane victims need some slack. maybe you can tell us when the U.N. election minders show up later on. -HF

Edited by HanKFranK (Fri Aug 20 2004 12:19 AM)

LoisCane
Veteran Storm Chaser

Reged:
Loc: South Florida
Someone start a counter [Re: RedingtonBeachGuy]
      #20572 - Fri Aug 20 2004 02:48 AM

Or maybe someone here can make a contest.. See when the next storm forms..named storm. Can easily see five days.

Enjoy the calm ...it won't last.

Bobbi

--------------------
http://hurricaneharbor.blogspot.com/

LI Phil
User

Reged:
Loc: Long Island (40.7N 73.6W)
NOAA Updated Hurricane Forecast [Re: LoisCane]
      #20582 - Fri Aug 20 2004 04:25 PM

In case anyone's interested here is NOAAs updated hurricane forecast.

--------------------
2005 Forecast: 14/7/4

BUCKLE UP!

"If your topic ain't tropic, your post will be toast"

Anonymous
Unregistered

Re: out there a bit [Re: RedingtonBeachGuy]
      #20590 - Fri Aug 20 2004 08:23 PM

The STATE is providing hundreds of generators to victims, and to the elections. NO ONE is not getting a generator due to the elections.

That was not a rant--it was irresponsible rumor mongering.

Note to the anon...if you're going to make statements like this, please identify yourself

Edited by LI Phil (Fri Aug 20 2004 08:34 PM)

bobbistorm
Unregistered

question and.. beautiful new wave over Africa [Re: Anonymous]
      #20592 - Fri Aug 20 2004 08:53 PM

Hasn't come off yet but its beautiful on imagery

Best one i've seen in a while

Can we please have a new topic for a forum. Think its time unless we are waiting for Danielle to do something different.

Have a nice weekend..Bobbi

HanKFranK
User

Reged:
next week [Re: bobbistorm]
      #20595 - Fri Aug 20 2004 09:58 PM

it is unlikely a system will develop over the weekend. the developing pattern will favor subtropical developments.. maybe close in (frontal leftovers, shortwave splits near the east coast perhaps). steve pointed this out to me.. with the ridging forecast in about a week near the eastern seaboard anything nearby would be serious trouble. but for now, just a potential trouble region based on the pattern. some other outside subtropical possibilites.. the deep layer system that is shearing danielle.. which is entraining plenty of energy as it hovers near 30/45.
the eastern atlantic waves are suffering from variable easterlies at different altitudes.. low level surge pushed the first wave rapidly west behind earl, second wave is an out of phase ITCZ energy bubble and a denuded low level turning axis.. both are now just drifting westward. the energetic wave about to come off africa should overtake it's forerunner.. should put some more energy in phase and maybe start an organization trend. with the trudging, slightly backed appearance of the eastern atlantic ITCZ i'd say the area is somewhat primed.. with the onset of MJO negative things should improve.
anyhow, with the upcoming pattern, retrograding ridges and transient, fast moving systems in the subtropics that split when they slow should be the rule. this is the pattern that favors stair-stepping longtrackers, and hybrid development at times. i may be wrong, but think we'll get a taste of one or the other next week.
HF 2158z20august

rmbjoe1954
Weather Master

Reged:
Loc: Port Saint Lucie, Florida, USA
Re: next week [Re: HanKFranK]
      #20598 - Fri Aug 20 2004 11:14 PM

The Cape Verde season is upon us; it appears we will have a a wicked season!!

remain alert!!

--------------------
________2023 Forecast: 20/10/5________

There is little chance that meteorologists can solve the mysteries of weather until they gain an understanding of the mutual attraction of rain and weekends. ~Arnot Sheppard

GuppieGrouper
Weather Master

Reged:
Loc: Polk County, Florida
Re: next week [Re: rmbjoe1954]
      #20605 - Sat Aug 21 2004 12:50 AM

This time last week I was worn out, sure that we had survived the worst at our house and worried about our friends to the east. I am magnetically drawn to the loops and slightest color in the infrared satellites. I noticed tonight which I am sure is part coincidence and part nature, that the areas that were free from thunderstorm clouds on the still satellite pix, were the hardest hit areas from last week's storm. Coincidence and expenditure of heat energy in the atmosphere?
I mowed my 3 and 4 foot lawn, tonight after dinner. I noticed that there were no sounds of cicadas and that this was one of the loudest noises I was aware of last week prior to the storm, particularly Thursday night. I saw a rain frog while coming in after dark tonight. There was a lot of heat lightning. There are some snails that are crawling and hooking to the garage door. The last storm effected us mostly from the Northeast. The position of the snails on the house tell me they know something is up maybe coming from the Southeast this time. My insects and animals do not run scrawls at the bottom of the TV set saying where the weather is going to be, but they do indicate storms will be, and to some extent how strong they will be. I don't think the snails are lost for a minute. They know something is up. They just have not indicated when or how soon, except that they are already getting prepared for it. That's my opinion and I am sticking to it.

--------------------
God commands. Laymen guess. Scientists record.

Keith234
Storm Chaser

Reged:
Loc: 40.7N/73.3W Long Island
Re: next week [Re: GuppieGrouper]
      #20607 - Sat Aug 21 2004 01:17 AM

Wow, you're really observe a lot of things, that I wouldn't even look at right before a hurricane. I wonder what type of forecasting model they use! Next time I have a hurricane heading toward LI, I be sure sure to observe things like that.

--------------------
"I became insane with horrible periods of sanity"
Edgar Allan Poe

HanKFranK
User

Reged:
Re: next week [Re: GuppieGrouper]
      #20612 - Sat Aug 21 2004 05:49 AM

i don't know how credible the actions of snails are in weather forecasting.. unless they're leaving slime-trail messages like 'beware the tempest" or "the lightning is coming" or "heeeeere's johnny!!" on your windows. kinda doubtful, but not to discredit the signs nature gives when trouble is in the air. i'll feel like a dope if florida gets whacked again, in other words.
wave emerging off west africa now has all the sound and fury of howard dean on the campaign stump. SAL should provide a sedative effect. wave near 65w flared to life tonight as well. negative MJO's effects are becoming apparent now.. the mid august interlude should pass inside of a week.
HF 0549z21august

LadyStorm
Weather Guru

Reged:
Loc: United States
Re: next week [Re: Keith234]
      #20613 - Sat Aug 21 2004 10:13 AM

I don't think the animals have a forcast model, but they have an inner sense that nature gave them and not us. I have read about animals behavior prior to a natural disaster.

MaryAnn

Quote:

Wow, you're really observe a lot of things, that I wouldn't even look at right before a hurricane. I wonder what type of forecasting model they use! Next time I have a hurricane heading toward LI, I be sure sure to observe things like that.

--------------------
"The significant problems we face cannot be solved at the same level of
thinking we were at when we created them"

..........Albert Einstein

rmbjoe1954
Weather Master

Reged:
Loc: Port Saint Lucie, Florida, USA
New Wave Off Africa [Re: HanKFranK]
      #20614 - Sat Aug 21 2004 10:16 AM

This has to be the most 'perfect wave' this season. Now the debates and excellent commentaries begin. Perhaps a new thread is in order for 65L and the soon to be named L wave off Africa.

--------------------
________2023 Forecast: 20/10/5________

There is little chance that meteorologists can solve the mysteries of weather until they gain an understanding of the mutual attraction of rain and weekends. ~Arnot Sheppard

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | >> (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 59 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 17343

Rate this topic

Jump to

Note: This is NOT an official page. It is run by weather hobbyists and should not be used as a replacement for official sources. 
CFHC's main servers are currently located at
Hostdime.com in Orlando, FL.
Image Server Network thanks to Mike Potts and Amazon Web Services. If you have static file hosting space that allows dns aliasing contact us to help out! Some Maps Provided by:
Great thanks to all who donated and everyone who uses the site as well. Site designed for 800x600+ resolution
When in doubt, take the word of the National Hurricane Center