F
Current Radar or Satellite Image

Flhurricane.com - Central Florida Hurricane Center - Tracking Storms since 1995Hurricanes Without the Hype! Since 1995

Chill falls over the Atlantic as the official season heads towards close
Days since last H. Landfall - US: Any 231 (Idalia) , Major: 231 (Idalia) Florida - Any: 231 (Idalia) Major: 231 (Idalia)
None
COMMUNICATION
STORM DATA
CONTENT
FOLLOW US
ADS
Login to remove ads

News Talkback >> 2004 News Talkbacks

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | >> (show all)
danielwAdministrator

Reged: Wed
Loc: Hattiesburg,MS (31.3N 89.3W)
Re: Forecast Advisory [Re: danielw]
      #21233 - Sat Aug 28 2004 10:52 PM

The new Advisories are out and can be viewed under the "Current Storm" headings.
NHC has changed Frances' 4 day and 5 day positions somewhat.
The fcst from 24hrs ago had 02/0000z 23.5N/ 70.0W
The newest fcst has............02/0000z 22.4N/ 70.6W
Not sure if that's good news or what, yet.

Edited by danielw (Sat Aug 28 2004 11:19 PM)

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
FlaRebel
Weather Hobbyist

Reged: Thu
Loc: Tallahassee, FL
      #21234 - Sat Aug 28 2004 11:16 PM

I am still not convinced based on the latest models that this is not a GOM storm. She is a monster and I figure a Cat 5 before landfall. Stay tuned to the same Bat Channel and the same Bat Time! Hope she turns out to be a Fisher!

JustMe
Weather Guru

Reged: Mon
Loc: Orlando, Florida
      #21235 - Sat Aug 28 2004 11:18 PM

cetainly tracking Frances

we don't need anything right now in Central Florida or south Florida
will see as the last 3 days the projection has moved a little more North. Going to watch Tuesdsay very close for what noah says about Frances. Not getting to hyped yet ...

Keep all of us in and here in Florida in your thoughts. Those in the Bahamas too.

will be watching and waiting (praying too)

Just want it to go away.

JustMe

--------------------

I have survived Betsy Miss, Camille Miss., Andrew Fl, Charley Fl, Frances FL, Jeanne FL,

LoisCane
Veteran Storm Chaser

Reged: Fri
Loc: South Florida
Re: Forecasted slowdown in forward speed [Re: danielw]
      #21236 - Sat Aug 28 2004 11:18 PM

According to Norcross. Said that it seems NHC expects Frances to go a little slower as it approaches bahamas/florida and there fore they pulled back timing so cone looks further offshore.

Reiterated ...could go NW at that point or keep coming.

Said... Gaston could leave slowly and leave a low pressure area between the two highs (one over SE US and one over Atlantic) and Frances could take it or... Gaston leaves faster and the high fuses together. (my own wording to shorten a long explanation) eww.. anyway..

So... that was what I understood was the change.

Storms often stall there when steering currents slip away. Betsy, Bonnie and I think Donna stalled a bit too.

Had thought of 1893 track when thinking Frances could turn north just off shore but... didnt realize that the year I think has other similar tracks. Will see. Hate to put it there.. felt sick thinking on it however.. deaths at that time were caused by no warning and people living on low lying barrier islands.. which would be different as far as loss of human life vs economic impact.

--------------------
http://hurricaneharbor.blogspot.com/

LoisCane
Veteran Storm Chaser

Reged: Fri
Loc: South Florida
ps... gfdl [Re: LoisCane]
      #21237 - Sat Aug 28 2004 11:45 PM

Seems to see the weakness left by Gaston moving 3mph and may I add that Gaston has developed a deep long tail filling up the area with moisture. Maybe reaching for straws down here in South Florida but... its a possibility. Or..can be pulled that way and then turn back to the west again I suppose.

--------------------
http://hurricaneharbor.blogspot.com/

Steve
Senior Storm Chaser

Loc: Metairie, LA
Re: ps... gfdl [Re: LoisCane]
      #21238 - Sun Aug 29 2004 12:29 AM

>>Well, if S2K said it, then it's as good as done. NOT.

I think there was a tropical roundtable broadcast. Not one to ever dis my 2nd home site, I've gotta call your mod butt out on that one. If said, it wasn't by a random poster but probably a professional met (they have about 6 that post there). I know you're a member there and were only teasing, but I had to set the record straight for anyone who didn't know that.
------------------------------------------------------
Anyway, Bastardi wins the Gold Medal for Gaston. Let's face it, there's NOBODY in the world putting out the stuff he is or at the same level. One day they'll look back on him as the god of pattern recognition. I'm sticking with my southern North Carolina call from Thursday @ S2K. He cautions everyone from New Orleans to somewhere way up (^) there but likes a NC solution as the compromise. He did mention two things worth noting in his 4th post of the day:

1) His dad has been discussing the idea of a ridge directly following Gaston. We know high pressure will already be building in, but this would be height rises in response to rather than falls left behind as he believes.

2) "I fear any hurricane that gets into the central gulf this year."

Heh. Don't we all. With the water running a good 86 and above throughout, and with analogs like 1985, 1998, 2002 and 1969, discussed here and there. That's a scenario that everyone should fear. There will be landfallS in the Gulf by mid-October.

Props out to everyone in coastal SC tonight. This glass of Sterling 2002 (analog wine) Merlot is for you. /wish I was there. With the slow movement, I'm betting rainfall estimates from earlier (3-5") are underdone. I'd be willing to bet there's at least localized of 10+.

Party on.

Steve

--------------------
MF'n Super Bowl Champions

danielwAdministrator

Re: Hard to follow that [Re: Steve]
      #21239 - Sun Aug 29 2004 12:41 AM

Rain looks like it could get out of hand, ahead and behind of Gaston. One of the tropical experts at TWC said earlier Saturday that the Flash Flood Guidance numbers were relativly high and he didn't expect a lot of flash flooding. I believe that was said prior to the spinup of Gaston and the Recon reports. I'll check HPC for their updates.
COASTAL SC...

BANDING PCPN ASSOCIATED WITH TS OFF THE COAST CONTINUES TO
PUSH INTO THE COAST AND WEAKEN. WOULD EXPECT THAT AS THE
STORM INCHES CLOSER ON SUNDAY PCPN INTENSITY WILL INCREASE
AND SUPPORT SOME ISOLATED FLOODING.

Edited by danielw (Sun Aug 29 2004 12:43 AM)

danielwAdministrator

Re: Heads up for Florida [Re: danielw]
      #21240 - Sun Aug 29 2004 12:50 AM

This is a 7 day forecast from HPC. Issued at 7am Saturday morning. It shows a warm front off the E coast of FL, moving north. I'm sorry to say, below the warm front, over Miami is what appears to be Frances. Here's the main page link so you can look. They update in the morning.
*As stated this was forecast at 7AM EDT on 28 Aug-1100Z*
http://www.hpc.ncep.noaa.gov/medr/premedr.shtml#preliminary

Edited by danielw (Sun Aug 29 2004 12:51 AM)

Frank P
Veteran Storm Chaser

#21242 - Sun Aug 29 2004 12:56 AM

interesting DW, it also appears to me looking at the plots that the ridge is still going to be strong enough by day 7 to continue to move the system off to the wnw.... if it comes to fruition.... not a very pretty picture for SE Florida....

danielwAdministrator

Re: E Carib. ridge [Re: Frank P]
      #21243 - Sun Aug 29 2004 01:06 AM

FP, you must have been reading the same item I was.
MEANWHILE ACROSS THE TROPICAL ATLANTIC...THE MODELS
FORECAST A RIDGE TO BUILD WEST INTO THE EASTERN CARIBBEAN
THROUGH 36-42 HRS...TO EXTEND AS FAR WEST AS 70W BY 72 HRS.
THE RIDGE WILL PROVIDE THE STEERING FLOW AND OUTFLOW IN
SUPPORT OF DEEP CONVECTION IN ASSOCIATION WITH HURRICANE
FRANCES.

Frank P
Veteran Storm Chaser

Re: E Carib. ridge [Re: danielw]
      #21244 - Sun Aug 29 2004 01:19 AM

DW, I've been watching the NRL IR Sat loop for the past hour and Sir Frances is moving due west... at least he has for the past hour.... guess he could start the stair stepping process any minute but for the time being he appears to be going more west than WNW...

danielwAdministrator

Re: Sat loops [Re: Frank P]
      #21246 - Sun Aug 29 2004 01:33 AM

It would appear the he might be. The sats are in the sun eclipse now and won't be good til about 0615Z or 0215EDT. At least that's the pattern they've run the last couple of nights. About a 2.5 to 3 hours window each night where the sun is directly behind the satellite, in respect to the receiving station. Any way the sun creates so much electrical energy that the satellites can't override the Sun's signal noise.

Wxwatcher2
Storm Tracker

Reged: Tue
Loc:
      #21247 - Sun Aug 29 2004 01:34 AM

Frank P.
My fear is that Francis will indeed be near SE Florida and then begin a Northward Curve up through the state.
Right around the Western side of the ridge.....???

danielwAdministrator

Re: E Carib. ridge [Re: Wxwatcher2]
      #21248 - Sun Aug 29 2004 01:37 AM

That's what we were calling the Case 3 scenario. With 1 being a FL Straights-to GOM run. Case 2 a mainland-yuk hit and then the Case 3.

Frank P
Veteran Storm Chaser

Re: E Carib. ridge [Re: Wxwatcher2]
      #21249 - Sun Aug 29 2004 01:56 AM

well I think your fear is legit...still too early to tell, but most of the lastest model runs, at least the ones the NHC rely on, are still trending towards S FL.... some even taking it into the GOM... as the GFS does ..... things change with hurricanes.... as I've harped endlessly, its all about the ridge with Frances... hurricanes track around em, NOT through em... and this one will probably do that if the ridge is as strong as they are forecasting.... where the northwest to norht turn will occur is anybodys guess.... providing of course the ridge doesn't fall completely apart and we end up with another Floyd type track... which doesn't appear to be a strong possibility at the moment.... but nothing is impossible with these things...

palmetto
Verified CFHC User

#21250 - Sun Aug 29 2004 02:03 AM

I hate to be nitpicky about this, but after all the talk during Charley of spelling the name right and not calling the storm Chuck, Chas, or Charles--I've got to throw this out there.

The storm's name is Frances, not Francis. Frances is the feminine form of said name.

javlin
Weather Master

Loc: Biloxi,MS
      #21251 - Sun Aug 29 2004 02:05 AM

That's pretty much what AF MET and Derek Ortt where looking at the 174hr GFS run.The talk was more about the synobtics than the actual models.The last couple of weeks no troughs digging S.The cool air we had for about three weeks has left.The question is Gaston's effect the faster it moves in the less the effect if any.It might be a wobble FP but morning time will tell.

Frank P
Veteran Storm Chaser

Re: E Carib. ridge [Re: palmetto]
      #21252 - Sun Aug 29 2004 02:06 AM

I did call it Frances in my post? So why address this post to me?

danielwAdministrator

Re: Names [Re: Frank P]
      #21253 - Sun Aug 29 2004 02:08 AM

I think that's why they used "Alpha, Bravo, and Charlie" in the 50's. No confusion.

palmetto
Verified CFHC User

#21254 - Sun Aug 29 2004 02:10 AM

She'd be a Dame, not a Sir.

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | >> (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 158 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  MikeC, Ed Dunham, danielw 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating: *****
Topic views: 37042

Rate this topic

Jump to

Note: This is NOT an official page. It is run by weather hobbyists and should not be used as a replacement for official sources. 
CFHC's main servers are currently located at
Hostdime.com in Orlando, FL.
Image Server Network thanks to Mike Potts and Amazon Web Services. If you have static file hosting space that allows dns aliasing contact us to help out! Some Maps Provided by:
Great thanks to all who donated and everyone who uses the site as well. Site designed for 800x600+ resolution
When in doubt, take the word of the National Hurricane Center