F
Current Radar or Satellite Image

Flhurricane.com - Central Florida Hurricane Center - Tracking Storms since 1995Hurricanes Without the Hype! Since 1995

Special Tropical Weather Outlook issued for area in the East-Central Atlantic, only with 10% chance for development, not expected to do much.
Days since last H. Landfall - US: Any 239 (Idalia) , Major: 239 (Idalia) Florida - Any: 239 (Idalia) Major: 239 (Idalia)

News Talkback >> 2004 News Talkbacks

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | >> (show all)
Maitalnd, FL
Unregistered

Re: Frances [Re: rickonboat]
      #21344 - Sun Aug 29 2004 10:05 PM

It looks to me that Frances in the last few frames is going more of a wnw track or so. Is the sun playing tricks on me, or is that whats happening?

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Maitland, FL
Unregistered

Re: Frances [Re: Unregistered User]
      #21345 - Sun Aug 29 2004 10:08 PM

I agree with you redbird, I think it will be in our area too. God forbid it, but it looks like thats what it might do.

Wxwatcher2
Storm Tracker

Reged:
Loc:
Re: Frances [Re: Unregistered User]
      #21346 - Sun Aug 29 2004 10:08 PM

Hurricanes are still unpredicatable and at the end of all the model runs and forecasts, these storms usually have a surprise or two in store for us.

I will be looking at the High pressure ridge to the North of Francis as the main player in where she will go.
This has been a strange season so far. I'm with all of you, just watching and trying to figure out how it will impact me.

Robert
Weather Analyst

Reged:
Loc: Southeast, FL
Being sarcastic here. J/K around [Re: rickonboat]
      #21347 - Sun Aug 29 2004 10:12 PM

Come on floridians remeber the east coast of florida does not get hit by major huricanes except once every 30-40 years its only been 12 since Andrew thats another 18-28 years before we get hit by another major hurricane.

Well I dont no what Frances will do becuse my expirience tells me no florida hit, and maybe carolina's.
but were also supposed to be in a diferrent 20 year pattern so its back to school for me. I like to think this storm does an isabel becuse its very similar but this storm is 12 degrees west of isabel in every aspect that it mimics. I am Relieved that the High alltidude jet is out there getting some real data for the models so tommorow i will start to weigh the models a bit more seariously.

Redbird
Unregistered

Re: Frances [Re: Maitland, FL]
      #21348 - Sun Aug 29 2004 10:13 PM

It is real scary to know that next weekend, everything I own and even possibly my family could be fatally injured.................

melissa1211
Unregistered

Re: Being sarcastic here. J/K around [Re: Robert]
      #21349 - Sun Aug 29 2004 10:14 PM

Do you think south florida is in the clear with the new forecast models?

WXMAN RICHIE
Weather Master

Reged:
Loc: Boynton Beach, FL
Frances [Re: rickonboat]
      #21350 - Sun Aug 29 2004 10:16 PM

My take on Frances:

1- Looks like a close call with Hebert's box. Remember, almost every major hurricane to go through that box ends up hitting S. FL. as a major.
2- Last eye of a major hurricane here in Palm Beach County was in 1949, 55 years ago. This region should get a major hurricane every 10 yrs, that is 5 1/2 times over due.
3- Stores already doing a brisk business around here. One local Home Depot that had 300 generators this morning, now has only 75 left. I spent the day shopping myself.
4-Another huge problem that no one is mentioning about this storm is the possible flooding potential with such a slow mover. Remember, this storm is moving much slower than Andrew or Charley.
5- My home weather station is up and running. I will provide a link if Frances heads my way. The anemometer is rated to 175 mph, but not my roof. Hope I don't have to find that out.

--------------------
Another typical August:
Hurricane activity is increasing and the Red Sox are choking.

Live weather from my backyard:
http://www.wunderground.com/weatherstation/WXDailyHistory.asp?ID=KFLBOYNT4

Redbird
Unregistered

Re: Frances [Re: WXMAN RICHIE]
      #21351 - Sun Aug 29 2004 10:19 PM

What is Hebert's box?

GuppieGrouper
Weather Master

Reged:
Loc: Polk County, Florida
Re: Frances [Re: Redbird]
      #21353 - Sun Aug 29 2004 10:27 PM

Redbird, you sound new to this message board and I noticed you are not registered. Welcome. Now, it has been my experience in the last 3 or 4 years that every one who is posting to this board is interested in where the hurricanes will go. But, you have to realize that except for a few experts sprinkeled in here, a lot of this talk is speculation and we do not know anything for sure except the official forecast by NHC, Just get your self prepared and don't allow yourself to get emotionally upset over every twist and turn that the models forecast. The Floyd cane had all of Florida, the experts and even Disney World convinced that it was coming to a place in Central Florida. But, it stayed off shore. We will truly know much more by Wednesday as the forecasts get more accurate and less guesswork is going on.

--------------------
God commands. Laymen guess. Scientists record.

WXMAN RICHIE
Weather Master

Reged:
Loc: Boynton Beach, FL
      #21354 - Sun Aug 29 2004 10:27 PM

Check this out on Hebert's boxes.

http://www.hurricanecity.com/hebertbox.htm

--------------------
Another typical August:
Hurricane activity is increasing and the Red Sox are choking.

Live weather from my backyard:
http://www.wunderground.com/weatherstation/WXDailyHistory.asp?ID=KFLBOYNT4

Cocoa Beach
Unregistered

#21355 - Sun Aug 29 2004 10:29 PM

Palm Beach area is kinda my gut feeling right now. I don't think I buy into the S. Fl scenario.
I told my rommies to get ready, but there not buying it.

BillD
User

Reged:
Loc: Miami
Re: Frances [Re: Cocoa Beach]
      #21356 - Sun Aug 29 2004 10:36 PM

It is just too early to be making any predictions about landfall (or to worry about it either). Maybe by Wednesday we'll have a better idea.

Looks to me to have wobbled a little south of west in this last frame, but over the last couple of hours is heading west for sure.

Bill

Hurric
Weather Guru

Reged:
Loc: Port St. Lucie, Fl
      #21357 - Sun Aug 29 2004 11:11 PM

For those in the east central Florida area, Melbourne NWS discussion this afternoon has an interesting long range portion.
THU-SUN...FORECAST IS VERY HEAVILY DEPENDENT ON TRACK AND SPEED OF
VERY POWERFUL HURRICANE Frances. LATEST OFFICIAL TRACK CONTINUES TO
BRING Frances ACROSS THE BAHAMAS THEN ACROSS CENTRAL OR SOUTHERN FL
LABOR DAY WEEKEND. BUT CONFIDENCE IS VERY LOW IN THIS EXACT
FORECAST. KEEP IN MIND THE AVG TRACK ERROR FOR DAY 5 IS 325 NAUTICAL
MILES. NONETHELESS...AS EXPECTED Frances HAS BENT MORE TO THE WEST
TODAY DUE TO UPPER RIDGE BUILDING NORTH OF IT. THIS RIDGING IS
EXPECTED TO STEER Frances W/NW FOR THE NEXT SEVERAL DAYS...THEN
POSSIBLY WEAKEN WHICH WOULD ALLOW A MORE N/NW MOTION. DEPENDING ON
HOW FAST THE UPPER RIDGING ERODES...IT COULD TURN Frances TO OUR
EAST OR BRING IT DANGEROUSLY CLOSE TO BREVARD COUNTY AS THE 12Z
UKMET AND GFS DO. FOR NOW...WILL FOLLOW OFFICAL FORECAST WHICH
BRINGS Frances ONSHORE NEAR JUPITER INLET. PERSONS IN EAST CENTRAL
FL SHOULD CLOSELY MONITOR THE PROGRESS OF THIS DANGEROUS HURRICANE
THROUGH THE UPCOMING WEEK.

Hurric

Redbird
Unregistered

Re: Frances [Re: BillD]
      #21358 - Sun Aug 29 2004 11:12 PM

One model does seem to show a sebastian inlet landfall and pass right through Brevard and into Orlando.

Lake Toho - Kissimmee
Storm Tracker

Reged:
Loc: Kissimmee, Florida on Lake Toh...
      #21360 - Sun Aug 29 2004 11:16 PM

I must admit normally I am not an edgy person, but this one has me a little concerned, considering I have a lot of my roof missing.. LOL. So if people seem a little jittery in Central Florida, cut them a little slack. Most havent even had roofers provide them with an estimate nor have they had their adjusters even show up..

Having experienced Andrew (lived on Old Cutler and 136) and now Charley, I must say I am hoping for the infamous "Disney Hurricane Reflector Shield or the Kennedy Space Center Hurricane Protection System" that everyone talks about.. LOL..

--------------------
Dream like you will live forever.. Live like there is no tommorow.. Darwin Rules !!

Lake Toho - Kissimmee
Storm Tracker

Reged:
Loc: Kissimmee, Florida on Lake Toh...
Re: Frances [Re: Lake Toho - Kissimmee]
      #21361 - Sun Aug 29 2004 11:17 PM

BY THE WAY THERE IS A NEW TOPIC POSTED

--------------------
Dream like you will live forever.. Live like there is no tommorow.. Darwin Rules !!

BillD
User

Reged:
Loc: Miami
      #21362 - Sun Aug 29 2004 11:24 PM

Yes, and a dozen other models show everything from turning left over Cuba, to Key West to recurving and never hitting land. Having been through several major hurricanes (including Andrew and Donna) I know how it feels. It is not easy to not worry about anything stronger than a thunderstorm. But it is too early to even guess where this storm is going to go.

The data gathered from the high altitude dropsondes will help the models out. By later tomorrow we should have a more accurate picture, but it won't be until the middle of the week that the NHC can make a reasonable prediction on landfall.

And having been through the Floyd situation, we (including the NHC) were sure we were going to get hit, it was heading right for us, and it made a right hand turn just before landfall. Anything is possible with these storms. The bottom line is be prepared, and hope for the best.

Bill

Jeanine
Weather Watcher

Reged:
Loc: Hollywood, FL
      #21368 - Sun Aug 29 2004 11:33 PM

Thanks for posting the link on Herbert's box. I've been here for over 7 years and do not ever remember hearing that term. Mostly lurking.
Jeanine

danielwAdministrator

Reged:
Loc: Hattiesburg,MS (31.3N 89.3W)
      #21369 - Sun Aug 29 2004 11:35 PM

Yeah, thanks! I needed a brain refresher on the Hebert boxes too.

Redbird
Unregistered

Re: Frances [Re: BillD]
      #21372 - Sun Aug 29 2004 11:37 PM

Okay probably right on this one. I am not sure what Floyd did........was not down here then. Thnx for your patience on this.

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | >> (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 143 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating: *****
Topic views: 36960

Rate this topic

Jump to

Note: This is NOT an official page. It is run by weather hobbyists and should not be used as a replacement for official sources. 
CFHC's main servers are currently located at
Hostdime.com in Orlando, FL.
Image Server Network thanks to Mike Potts and Amazon Web Services. If you have static file hosting space that allows dns aliasing contact us to help out! Some Maps Provided by:
Great thanks to all who donated and everyone who uses the site as well. Site designed for 800x600+ resolution
When in doubt, take the word of the National Hurricane Center