F
Current Radar or Satellite Image

Flhurricane.com - Central Florida Hurricane Center - Tracking Storms since 1995Hurricanes Without the Hype! Since 1995

Chill falls over the Atlantic as the official season heads towards close
Days since last H. Landfall - US: Any 231 (Idalia) , Major: 231 (Idalia) Florida - Any: 231 (Idalia) Major: 231 (Idalia)
None
COMMUNICATION
STORM DATA
CONTENT
FOLLOW US
ADS
Login to remove ads

News Talkback >> 2004 News Talkbacks

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | >> (show all)
Ricreig
User

Reged: Sat
Loc: Orlando, Fl
Re: Gaston Landfalls in South Carolina, Tropical Storm Hermine Forms [Re: JustMe]
      #21472 - Mon Aug 30 2004 08:08 AM

Quote:

I am feeling a lot better.... I have to belive that we will be spared a second on slought of Hurricanes this year. The storm can stay out to sea ..... I am hopeing that it was enough to scare the willies out of all of us and just skirt us here in Florida The radios and tv's are going bonkers... Frances is all you hear. If people didn't get the message with Charley not sure they ever will. We get our hurricane stuff together the first of June and disban it the end of October. Keep listening and paying attention should it come our way ... in several hours like 144 hours or so

I reflect your sentiments exactly, but don't forget that this beast is still SOUTH of us and projections are just that, projections. Until it passes by, it can still be very much a part of our lives. But, for now, there is that ray of hope, I agree. For those to our north, the ray is still quite cloudy though.

--------------------
Richard
A forecast is NOT a promise!

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Wxwatcher2
Storm Tracker

Reged: Tue
Loc:
Re: Gaston Landfalls in South Carolina, Tropical Storm Hermine Forms [Re: Ricreig]
      #21473 - Mon Aug 30 2004 08:16 AM

Don't feel too good just yet. There is a large margin of error on a 5 day forecast track sometimes.
However, the thing that I always keep in mind is that historicly at least, the majority of storms taking the Francis path do curve to the North. Andrew being the most memorable exception. So, you have to watch and prepare.
I fear GOM storms that cross the state like Charley much more than Atlantic storms.
But, I keep an eye on them just the same.

Ricreig
User

Re: Gaston Landfalls in South Carolina, Tropical Storm Hermine Forms [Re: Wxwatcher2]
      #21474 - Mon Aug 30 2004 08:23 AM

Quote:

Don't feel too good just yet. There is a large margin of error on a 5 day forecast track sometimes.
However, the thing that I always keep in mind is that historicly at least, the majority of storms taking the Francis path do curve to the North. Andrew being the most memorable exception. So, you have to watch and prepare.
I fear GOM storms that cross the state like Charley much more than Atlantic storms.
But, I keep an eye on them just the same.

I agree. While it is by no means determined that Frances will NOT cross the state similarly to Charley, and that it is coming from the other side, you should remember that when it made it across the state (Charley), it was still a hurricane, and still CAT II when it hit Orlando a hundred or so miles away from landfall. If Frances were to come in as originally stated by the MLB wx office, near Jupiter inlet, it would likely exit near your fine town of Tampa, and probably would get your attention in a most negative way. I'm glad you're keeping watch still. It is too early for any of us to be too relieved.

--------------------
Richard

Tom-OrmondBch
Unregistered

Re: Gaston Landfalls in South Carolina, Tropical Storm Hermine Forms [Re: Ricreig]
      #21476 - Mon Aug 30 2004 08:31 AM

Have been reading all your posts. I am a bit more encouraged also, but still plan on starting to board up east and north sides of house. Maybe fruitless effort but I don't want to do it at last minute. Too many memories of Floyd and Irene in 1999. We had lots of damage from those "misses" here! And they just took all the Charley debris off my street!

Keith234
Storm Chaser

Reged: Thu
Loc: 40.7N/73.3W Long Island
      #21477 - Mon Aug 30 2004 08:36 AM

Frances looks like it's out of the shear today, it might do some significant strenghtening. Hermine better turn out to sea, she looks more organised then ever, are they doing any more recon flights on her? Floridians are never out of the woods unless the storm is a fish spinner, hurricane Frances might hit you but then it could very well hit another state, or it might just landfall in two states. The odds of it hitting Florida right now are high 51 to 49 but that 49 could become Florida.

--------------------
"I became insane with horrible periods of sanity"
Edgar Allan Poe

Ricreig
User

Re: Gaston Landfalls in South Carolina, Tropical Storm Hermine Forms [Re: Tom-OrmondBch]
      #21478 - Mon Aug 30 2004 08:38 AM

Quote:

Have been reading all your posts. I am a bit more encouraged also, but still plan on starting to board up east and north sides of house. Maybe fruitless effort but I don't want to do it at last minute. Too many memories of Floyd and Irene in 1999. We had lots of damage from those "misses" here! And they just took all the Charley debris off my street!

I just got the latest E-Mail from NHC which says in part:

AT 8 AM AST...1200Z...THE CENTER OF HURRICANE Frances WAS LOCATED
NEAR LATITUDE 19.2 NORTH...LONGITUDE 58.1 WEST OR ABOUT 265
MILES... 425 KM...EAST-NORTHEAST OF THE NORTHERN LEEWARD ISLANDS.

FRANCES IS MOVING TOWARD THE WEST NEAR 10 MPH...17 KM/HR...AND THIS
MOTION IS EXPECTED TO CONTINUE WITH SOME INCREASE IN FORWARD SPEED
TODAY.

MAXIMUM SUSTAINED WINDS REMAIN NEAR 120 MPH...195 KM/HR...WITH
HIGHER GUSTS. SOME STRENGTHENING IS POSSIBLE DURING THE NEXT 24
HOURS.

HURRICANE FORCE WINDS EXTEND OUTWARD UP TO 85 MILES...140 KM...
FROM THE CENTER...AND TROPICAL STORM FORCE WINDS EXTEND OUTWARD UP
TO 125 MILES...205 KM.

Given the size of Frances, you are probably making a wise decision to continue preparations. Many of the models that show a 'miss', still show it within range to do damage, especially to coastal areas. Good luck!

--------------------
Richard

Keith234
Storm Chaser

Loc: 40.7N/73.3W Long Island
      #21479 - Mon Aug 30 2004 08:40 AM

Frances is going to pass very near the northern leeward islands today, I hope? Or will it hit them.

--------------------
"I became insane with horrible periods of sanity"
Edgar Allan Poe

Ed in Va
Weather Master

Reged: Fri
Loc:
Re: Gaston Landfalls in South Carolina, Tropical Storm Hermine Forms [Re: Keith234]
      #21480 - Mon Aug 30 2004 08:45 AM

How much faith are people putting in the GFS track...looks to me like it could be similar one to Gaston.??

--------------------
Survived Carol and Edna '54 in Maine. Guess this kind of dates me!

Ricreig
User

Re: Gaston Landfalls in South Carolina, Tropical Storm Hermine Forms [Re: Keith234]
      #21481 - Mon Aug 30 2004 08:52 AM

Quote:

Frances is going to pass very near the northern leeward islands today, I hope? Or will it hit them.

I hope it misses them too, but it seems obvious that barring major changes, they darned sure will be *affected* by Frances. WV loop shows outflow cirrus clouds from the approximate center of the leading edge only hours away from the Northern Leeward islands.

--------------------
Richard

doug
Weather Analyst

Reged: Mon
Loc: parrish,fl
Re: Frances track [Re: Ed in Va]
      #21482 - Mon Aug 30 2004 09:05 AM

Frances seems to be behaving according to plan as I read the NHC discussion today. Sattelite bears out a due west, perhaps slightly south of due west track at this time, but according to NHC that is predicted for up to 72 hrs. What I note in that is this behavior is left of the tracks predicted two -three days ago.
Lets face it, the race is on between the short wave trough in the northwest and the storm.
In my observational experience there is a good rule of thumb for those of us ilocated in the southern half of the florida peninsula. and that is what is occurring as the storm approaches what I call the 25/75 junction, which it will on about Thrsday evening/ Fridaymorining: If the storm has moved that far north and is more north than west and passes north of that spot, per the GFDL, etc. then Florida is generally safe. If it passes that spot to the south and is more west or wnw then Florida is a target.
The models on Wednesday are critical in my opinion...as the synoptic data by then should be fairly firm on the race between the trough and the storm.
Something else to watch as a predictive tool could be the ULL to the storm's NW several hundred miles, visible on the WV. If that lifts out to the north, then that could signal the weakness in the ridge that it will follow...if it stays firm to the west then that could indicate the trend to the south for Frances...
Happy speculating.

--------------------
doug

Ricreig
User

Re: Frances track [Re: doug]
      #21483 - Mon Aug 30 2004 09:14 AM

Code:
 Lets face it, the race is on between the short wave trough in the northwest and the storm.
In my observational experience there is a good rule of thumb for those of us ilocated in the southern half of the florida peninsula. and that is what is occurring as the storm approaches what I call the 25/75 junction, which it will on about Thrsday evening/ Fridaymorining: If the storm has moved that far north and is more north than west and passes north of that spot, per the GFDL, etc. then Florida is generally safe. If it passes that spot to the south and is more west or wnw then Florida is a target.

Very good observation...Both about the 25/75 and the ULL on the WV. I think the 2 TS's have reshaped the tropical ridge somewhat on the west end and that may be why we are seeing the forecasts shifting north. OTOH, as you noted, the current track is still due WEST so someone needs to tell Frances to look north

--------------------
Richard

GuppieGrouper
Weather Master

Reged: Fri
Loc: Polk County, Florida
Re: Frances track [Re: Ricreig]
      #21484 - Mon Aug 30 2004 09:49 AM

I was reading on another site that the forward speed of Frances has picked up putting it about 6 hours ahead of forecast schedule. I was wondering if this is true or just hype from another less informed site?

--------------------
God commands. Laymen guess. Scientists record.

rmbjoe1954
Weather Master

Loc: Port Saint Lucie, Florida, USA
Re: Frances track [Re: GuppieGrouper]
      #21485 - Mon Aug 30 2004 09:51 AM

Frances is picking up speed; I would think the 11AM update can shift the forecast path a bit to the left ..it's a seesaw game for now; But I will wait until wednesday to asess and implement pre-Plan B :?:

--------------------
________2024 Forecast: 28/14/8________

There is little chance that meteorologists can solve the mysteries of weather until they gain an understanding of the mutual attraction of rain and weekends. ~Arnot Sheppard

Rabbit
Weather Master

Loc: Central Florida
models [Re: Ricreig]
      #21486 - Mon Aug 30 2004 09:53 AM

AVN 144 hours

CMC 132 hours

GFDL 120 hours --very similar to Floyd

NOGAPS 144 hours

UKMET 120 hours

ShaggyDude
Weather Guru

Loc: Cocoa Beach, Florida
Re: models [Re: Rabbit]
      #21487 - Mon Aug 30 2004 09:56 AM

Thanks Rabbit - nice model snapshots, though very ominous for Florida, hit or not.

rmbjoe1954
Weather Master

Loc: Port Saint Lucie, Florida, USA
      #21488 - Mon Aug 30 2004 09:57 AM

Interesting that the Canadian Model has Frances crossing southern Florida.

--------------------
________2024 Forecast: 28/14/8________

There is little chance that meteorologists can solve the mysteries of weather until they gain an understanding of the mutual attraction of rain and weekends. ~Arnot Sheppard

Ricreig
User

#21489 - Mon Aug 30 2004 09:59 AM

All of which show graphically why we still aren't out of the woods yet....Thanks for the URL's.

BTW, Why is the formatting of this page AFU?
Only this last page is W I D E!!

--------------------
Richard

jth
Storm Tracker

Reged: Mon
Re: models [Re: rmbjoe1954]
      #21490 - Mon Aug 30 2004 10:01 AM

Not very promising. Still think it is a SC event, but those models look bad for Florida.

melissa
Unregistered

Re: models [Re: jth]
      #21491 - Mon Aug 30 2004 10:15 AM

Do you think south florida is going to be in the clear?

Cocoa Beach
Unregistered

Got one of my gut feelings right. [Re: MikeC]
      #21492 - Mon Aug 30 2004 10:18 AM

#21172 - Sat Aug 28 2004 04:24 PM
I wrote:
I bet (I love to gamble) that she will cross 58 W before 20 N
Lets hope my other gut feeling doesn't come to fruitation:
#21355 - Sun Aug 29 2004 06:29 PM
Palm Beach area is kinda my gut feeling right now. I don't think I buy into the S. Fl scenario.
Just a few more days of bluffing and Mother Nature will reveal her Aces.

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | >> (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 109 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  MikeC, Ed Dunham, danielw 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating: *****
Topic views: 36567

Rate this topic

Jump to

Note: This is NOT an official page. It is run by weather hobbyists and should not be used as a replacement for official sources. 
CFHC's main servers are currently located at
Hostdime.com in Orlando, FL.
Image Server Network thanks to Mike Potts and Amazon Web Services. If you have static file hosting space that allows dns aliasing contact us to help out! Some Maps Provided by:
Great thanks to all who donated and everyone who uses the site as well. Site designed for 800x600+ resolution
When in doubt, take the word of the National Hurricane Center