F
Current Radar or Satellite Image

Flhurricane.com - Central Florida Hurricane Center - Tracking Storms since 1995Hurricanes Without the Hype! Since 1995

The 2024 Atlantic Hurricane Season Begins on June 1st and lasts until Nov 30th. NHC Outlooks resume on May 15th..
Days since last H. Landfall - US: Any 237 (Idalia) , Major: 237 (Idalia) Florida - Any: 237 (Idalia) Major: 237 (Idalia)

News Talkback >> 2004 News Talkbacks

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | >> (show all)
BabyCat
Weather Guru

Reged:
Loc: New Orleans, La.
Re: Up close and personal [Re: SkeetoBite]
      #22929 - Thu Sep 02 2004 03:51 AM

Great graphic!!
Can you pull it out over the water before it makes landfall to incorporate in Broward County?

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
danielwAdministrator

Reged:
Loc: Hattiesburg,MS (31.3N 89.3W)
Re: H2Ocean [Re: StormHound]
      #22931 - Thu Sep 02 2004 03:51 AM

Slosh models for the Central FL Coast . Use these to make your decisions, but read the disclaimer first. These are models.
http://www.srh.noaa.gov/mlb/atlas.html

LoisCane
Veteran Storm Chaser

Reged:
Loc: South Florida
Re: Track Shift [Re: BillD]
      #22932 - Thu Sep 02 2004 03:52 AM

Okay..watching Norcross live here talking different possibilities and advice.

City had a real feel to it earlier while I was out. Wanted to get a few more things..went to local .99cents store that was open and busy. Couldn't pay me to go to Publix tonight. Heard shelves were partially empty and people looking lost roaming around wondering what to buy. Sharp contrast from the ones that were in their Tuesday morning when we were shopping holding lists in their hands. A few towering thunderheads .. bits of lightning and fast moving showers on a faster breeze. Packed gas stations. The feel of something happening in the air even before the word that maybe the high is stronger than the GFS and GFDL thought..

Will see.
Think the track will be drawn down closer to WPB. Spent hours and hours looking over storm tracks today during slow times.

Maybe WPB/Broward county line but dont think lower.

Then again.. maybe I am in denial.

Didn't post much today. In meetings at the library a few times to discuss storm and arrangements for tomorrow. City job.. And, busy doing things... but have enjoyed reading all your posts.. thanks..

Bobbi

--------------------
http://hurricaneharbor.blogspot.com/

DroopGB31
Weather Guru

Reged:
Loc: Pensacola
Re: Up close and personal [Re: SkeetoBite]
      #22933 - Thu Sep 02 2004 03:52 AM

Well 00Z GFS doesnt look to have responded much to the new data. I dont understand it, what is out there that will make Frances stall? Aghhhhhhhh

indialanticwes
Unregistered

Re: H2Ocean [Re: danielw]
      #22934 - Thu Sep 02 2004 03:53 AM

What a great post. I was just looking at the SLOSH charts. Things don't look so good in Indialantic!

MIAMIFL
Unregistered

Re: stewart's piece [Re: Unregistered User]
      #22935 - Thu Sep 02 2004 03:53 AM

i am of the strong opinion that many of the models are using historical data in conjunction with current recon....the historical data is likely causing the models to keep right of the possible westward track....Floyd, David, countless others....IDEAS REGARDING THIS THINKING?

lis
Unregistered

Re: Track Shift [Re: LoisCane]
      #22936 - Thu Sep 02 2004 03:53 AM

I am in fort lauderdale and scared to death. Do you think I have time to get out of the state now?

SkeetoBiteAdministrator
Master of Maps

Reged:
Loc: Lakeland, FL
Re: Up close and personal [Re: Unregistered User]
      #22937 - Thu Sep 02 2004 03:54 AM

We're building a house in South Lakeland on Crews Lake Drive. Probably be a stick pile by Labor Day though.

john03
Unregistered

Re: more west movement? [Re: Colleen A.]
      #22938 - Thu Sep 02 2004 03:54 AM

may just be me or my eyes......she's moving more west now i think......look at all sats....

she looks to be a cat 5!
GOES-12 satellite has -75 to -85 cloud temps on west and east side..... man the eye must be over 35miles wide

meto
Weather Guru

Reged:
Re: Track Shift [Re: Unregistered User]
      #22939 - Thu Sep 02 2004 03:55 AM

ch.11 in fort meyers just said this monster may now go in more south and west than thought. and scott you laughed when i said i thought this could be a cat. 5 down the road it may be near that in a few days....thnx...

DroopGB31
Weather Guru

Reged:
Loc: Pensacola
Re: Up close and personal [Re: DroopGB31]
      #22940 - Thu Sep 02 2004 03:56 AM

Well, maybe I should wait before I make any statement like that.

cdbeavers
Unregistered

Re: Hurricane Watches up for the Florida East Coast [Re: MikeC]
      #22941 - Thu Sep 02 2004 03:56 AM

If I may interject... If you look at LBAR's model, unless I am tracking wrong, it seems to be right on the money, so far. Looking at Streamlines of wind currents (I will try to post picture), it shows a strong Westerly flow moving just above Francis. Pushing it more West than WNW... Animated Models - LBAR [picture:

Colleen A.

Reged:
Loc: Florida
Re: Track Shift [Re: LoisCane]
      #22942 - Thu Sep 02 2004 03:56 AM

Here, too. I went to Walgreen's tonight and the manager was just about pulling his hair out of his head. Publix is a nightmare, Walmart is sold out of water, batteries, etc. I often go with my gut feeling and let's just say the butterflies that were in my stomach have now morphed into pre-historic butterflies.

--------------------
You know you're a hurricane freak when you wake up in the morning and hit "REFRESH" on CFHC instead of the Snooze Button.

erauwx
Verified CFHC User

Reged:
Loc: Orlando, FL
Jim Cantore [Re: Colleen A.]
      #22944 - Thu Sep 02 2004 03:59 AM

Just an FYI for anyone interested. I live in Daytona Beach, so I couldn't pass up the opportunity to go down beachside and talk with Jim Cantore from TWC - who was reporting for a good 4 hours here tonight. He says they will be reporting from DB starting 7am .. then heading down to Vero Beach tomorrow afternoon.

BabyCat
Weather Guru

Reged:
Loc: New Orleans, La.
Re: Track Shift [Re: lis]
      #22945 - Thu Sep 02 2004 04:00 AM

it's 20 hours straight through to New Orleans. In 10 hours you can be in GA.
This is *without* traffic tickets

scottsvb1
Unregistered

Re: Jim Cantore [Re: erauwx]
      #22946 - Thu Sep 02 2004 04:02 AM

If i laughed it wasnt that it could briefly reach cat 5 status, but was that you wanted it to go to your house.

Ricreig
User

Reged:
Loc: Orlando, Fl
Re: Hurricane Watches up for the Florida East Coast [Re: GuppieGrouper]
      #22947 - Thu Sep 02 2004 04:02 AM

Quote:

I have been at work all day and have read all the posts and listened to a lot of rumors from people who may or may not know what is going on.
Please explain where the consensus of landfall is expected to be and where it will be if it goes right or left. Central Florida, and specifically Polk County, tends to get ignored from both of the Media coming from Tampa Bay and Orlando. We have been protected in the past some what but the rumors are flying about our vulnerability this time. Please anyone who has any knowledge please comment.

IF, and I repeat IF a trend is developing in the forecast track since about 48 hours ago, it has mostlyl been S&W. This means to me that Polk County will be getting much more attention from Frances than before. Not saying a hit but going from an annoyance to duck occasionally...ok, maybe duck a whole bunch depending on how *far* left the trend might end up. I caution you and myself that a FORECAST is a ficticious thing...It hasn't happened and never will as it is in the future and when it stops being in the future, it is the present and no longer a FOREcast but a report of a historical occurance. By SUNDAY, we'll *all* know what the forecast *should* have been....for now, the apparant trend is more toward you there in POLK. Good luck!!

Live, for now, from Orlando

--------------------
Richard
A forecast is NOT a promise!

Jeffmidtown
Weather Guru

Reged:
Loc: Atlanta, Ga
Re: Track Shift [Re: BabyCat]
      #22948 - Thu Sep 02 2004 04:02 AM

and without construction on I-75 around Adel...urgh!

--------------------
You know it's a bad day.....when you wake up and see Jim Cantore and Geraldo Rivera broadcasting from your backyard....literally!

LI Phil
User

Reged:
Loc: Long Island (40.7N 73.6W)
How do you responnd... [Re: erauwx]
      #22949 - Thu Sep 02 2004 04:03 AM

to a statement like this...

>>> I am in fort lauderdale and scared to death. Do you think I have time to get out of the state now?

God, and I don't invoke her name lightly, but what can one say? Those with much more experience please give an answer.

My thoughts and prayers (Again) go out to all y'all. And if youre reading, whomever pointed it out. whether it's y'all or ya'll...whatever..get the hell out of harms way.

--------------------
2005 Forecast: 14/7/4

BUCKLE UP!

"If your topic ain't tropic, your post will be toast"

Bloodstar

Reged:
Loc: Tucson, AZ
Re: Track Shift [Re: lis]
      #22950 - Thu Sep 02 2004 04:03 AM

So, if I'm reading Stewart's post correctly, the 0600Z advisory will be the intermediate advisory? Is he saying that they're going to update the track at 2am? and if so, Should we expect Hurricane watches and warnings to come out if they do?

On a side note, I'm probably going to stay up to watch and see what they say about the Tampa area. As much as I worry about people on the east coast, I do have to start worrying about my own hide.

On a side note, Was at Wal-Mart because a friend had to pick up stuff, and they had no water on the shelf. They were pulling more water out, and had placed A bunch of water on the floor for people to just pick up.

(getting another couple of gallons of water ready for the freezer)
Good luck all
Mark

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | >> (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 44 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating: *****
Topic views: 37793

Rate this topic

Jump to

Note: This is NOT an official page. It is run by weather hobbyists and should not be used as a replacement for official sources. 
CFHC's main servers are currently located at
Hostdime.com in Orlando, FL.
Image Server Network thanks to Mike Potts and Amazon Web Services. If you have static file hosting space that allows dns aliasing contact us to help out! Some Maps Provided by:
Great thanks to all who donated and everyone who uses the site as well. Site designed for 800x600+ resolution
When in doubt, take the word of the National Hurricane Center