F
Current Radar or Satellite Image

Flhurricane.com - Central Florida Hurricane Center - Tracking Storms since 1995Hurricanes Without the Hype! Since 1995

Chill falls over the Atlantic as the official season heads towards close
Days since last H. Landfall - US: Any 230 (Idalia) , Major: 230 (Idalia) Florida - Any: 230 (Idalia) Major: 230 (Idalia)
None
COMMUNICATION
STORM DATA
CONTENT
FOLLOW US
ADS
Login to remove ads

News Talkback >> 2004 News Talkbacks

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | >> (show all)
MrSpock
Storm Tracker

Reged: Wed
Re: Up close and personal [Re: DroopGB31]
      #22951 - Thu Sep 02 2004 12:05 AM

I see 2, maybe 3 things that could account for the GFS forecast. The trough in New England is stronger on this model, therefore, it "pulls" it farther north, and I think the stretching on the sat pic is indicating that's where it would like to shift. There is a ULL in the E. Gulf, which is farther east than prior runs on the ETA. There is also a SW flow, albeit weak, in the Ohio Valley southward. Persistance forecasting would indicate the E. seaboard will be affected, as that seems to be the favorite track this year. Also, each storm has ended up further east than progged. I haven't followed this site much until now (sorry, forgot about it), but from a casual glance, it looks like the NOGAPS has been NOGOOD, the ETA needs time to pick things up, and the GFS has been better than the rest, but even it has been to far west at times.
I still think this makes landfall farther north, and affects more of the east coast. I am in NJ, and I think it will be visiting here eventually in a much weakened state.

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
scottsvb1
Unregistered

Re: Jim Cantore [Re: Unregistered User]
      #22952 - Thu Sep 02 2004 12:05 AM

Yep that new 0Z run of the GFS almost done now thru 120hrs and has almost exactly the same run as the 18Z., maybe just ever so slightly to the sw but that is due to it being slightly more sw at the start of the run due to the position compared to the 18Z run start. Overall same old same old.

SkeetoBiteAdministrator
Master of Maps

Reged: Sun
Loc: Lakeland, FL
Re: Up close and personal [Re: Colleen A.]
      #22953 - Thu Sep 02 2004 12:05 AM

Quote:

Skeeto...you just made my knees weak. I live right across the STREET from George Jenkins High School. We walk to the football games there. When you say "windfield", what kind of winds are you talking about? (I'm hoping for the best here, can ya tell?)
My husband is so mad at himself for not getting that generator.

Not a weather guy. Sorry... no guesstimate on wind speeds for the 50 yard line at George Jenkins. Just want to contribute what I can. I bet someone here can assist though.

BillD
User

Loc: Miami
Re: Track Shift [Re: BabyCat]
      #22954 - Thu Sep 02 2004 12:07 AM

On a good day with good weather and light traffic, I've made GA in less than 10 hours.... doesn't that red and blue 95 sign mean I can go 95? No? Oh.... but no ticket so far.

But this will not be good weather and light traffic. If you leave in the early AM Thursday, you should be OK. Weather won't start until Thursday night, but I would guess that a lot of people are leaving right now, so traffic will be heavy.

Bill

Martha
Unregistered

Lee County- Cape Coral??!?! What can I expect [Re: MikeC]
      #22955 - Thu Sep 02 2004 12:07 AM

Still awfully new to Florida and still recovering from Charlie I'm extremly scared of what I can expect. Everyone told me with Charlie not to worry or evacuate becuase it was only a Cat 2 and not suppose to hit us direct... well we all know it ended up being a Cat 4 and pretty close to direct. What is the likelihood that Lee County/Cape Coral will get hit as bad again??? What winds should I expect??? Any advice would be greatly appreciated!!!

Colleen A.

Reged: Sat
Loc: Florida
Re: more west movement? [Re: Unregistered User]
      #22956 - Thu Sep 02 2004 12:08 AM

It is looking like it's going more west. I just watched the graphic on TWC (you know, when the put the white line where the storm is?) and in the last couple frames it looked to be a tad south and west.

--------------------
You know you're a hurricane freak when you wake up in the morning and hit "REFRESH" on CFHC instead of the Snooze Button.

MrSpock
Storm Tracker

Re: Jim Cantore [Re: scottsvb1]
      #22957 - Thu Sep 02 2004 12:08 AM

What site do you use? The NCEP site is only out to 84 hours.....

wxman007
Meteorologist

Loc: Tuscaloosa, AL
New GFS... [Re: BabyCat]
      #22958 - Thu Sep 02 2004 12:09 AM

Comments thru 84 hours...

A CREEPING solution along the coastline...somewhat further west that previously, so far, but basically has Frances taking up station off shore from MLB and just sitting there for 18 hrs with the collapse of steering currents.

--------------------
Jason Kelley

meto
Weather Guru

#22959 - Thu Sep 02 2004 12:09 AM

no you dont know where i am i was giving my opinion , i lived in miami in the 60;s ive been thru many hurricanes . you need to get a clue.

This is one powerful bad girl...need to try to all come to a consensus on a landfall..and I need sleep! Lets let stuff go for now....Tomorrrow dawns and we're still where we were tonight.

Edited by LI Phil (Thu Sep 02 2004 12:15 AM)

BillD
User

Loc: Miami
      #22960 - Thu Sep 02 2004 12:11 AM

The 18Z GFS was almost identical to the 12Z. I have always given the GFS a lot of credit, but now I don't know. Of course I might be eating crow for a week if it turns out to be right. But I don't think so.

Bill

Richsurfs
Unregistered

Re: Up close and personal [Re: SkeetoBite]
      #22961 - Thu Sep 02 2004 12:11 AM

Mike,
This is Richisurfs from last year. I just lost my password and can't sign in and I also have new email address. I just wanted to tell you how great I think your site is doing...I mean staying up during this time when I'm sure there are tons of people on here. I have a cable connection which helps so much but I also have been keeping the page up and miniimizing it when I have to leave so that I don't run the risk of not being able to get it again. I keep hitting the ''refresh'' button and it automatically puts the new posts right up there for me. I feel this storm is going to show more of a southward track as time goes on but honestly I really know nothing...just a feeling from all the stuff I've been looking at and reading...i.e. the 11pm discussion from the NHC By the way,.Jason, I'm in Indialantic(beachside of Melbourne) and we will be evacuating to your area tomorrow morning but I'm not sure if we will have to turn right back around once this thing goes across Florida( if it does)wherever that might be. I totally think the NHC is on top of it but I do know they have a wide margin of error and anything can still happen. Anyhow, I wish it would turn up and go out so we could reap the benefits of good surf. I know though, I'm not going to be getting any this time but quite honestly, I could care less at this point. Thanks again ...it's running great Mike!

danielwAdministrator

Loc: Hattiesburg,MS (31.3N 89.3W)
Re: Track Shift [Re: meto]
      #22962 - Thu Sep 02 2004 12:11 AM

Okay for those who haven't been watching the satellite loops the last few nights.
From 0345Z to 0615Z; 1145pm EDT to 215am EDT the satellites are in an eclipse with the Sun and will not be updating the images. If you use loops during that period that storm will freeze at the 0345Z frame.
Next new frame should be at 06:15Z or 2:15am EDT

scottsvb1
Unregistered

Re: New GFS... [Re: wxman007]
      #22963 - Thu Sep 02 2004 12:12 AM

Yep offshore about 75-100 miles giving coast hurricane gusts. Still almost same as 18Z. It will be interesting though to see what the NOGAPS and Ukmet solutions do. If they go more NE slightly, then they will come in better agreement. Over all GFS thru 84 is same.

RevUp
Weather Guru

Reged: Sun
Loc:
Re: How do you responnd... [Re: LI Phil]
      #22964 - Thu Sep 02 2004 12:12 AM

Wow! Do you realize that people from Miami northward along both the east and west coasts are expecting to be hit by Frances? The whole SE U.S. coast can't evacuate! As someone said earlier, make local preparations to secure your home, then get ready to go to a local shelter if and when the time comes.
If you want to go on a long Labor Day weekend trip to, say Kansas(?), leave now and enjoy yourself. You still have time to leave the state. Personally, I think it's too early to be forced to leave - voluntary evacuations along the coast are in order though. "Prepare for the worst, pray for the best."

Dennis S
Unregistered

#22965 - Thu Sep 02 2004 12:15 AM

let's just hope they didn't blow it again and put in the same inputs as before, being an retired engineer , have seen that one done a few times. Hope not.

SirCane
Storm Tracker

Reged: Tue
Loc: Pensacola, FL
      #22966 - Thu Sep 02 2004 12:15 AM

With Charley, the NHC origionally thought he would move N and not move back over the water. They ended up changing that idea once it made landfall. I believe there's a strong chance this thing may enter the Gulf and cause more trouble. Let's hope not-but I'm not banking on it at all!

Ricreig
User

Loc: Orlando, Fl
Re: Track Shift [Re: Colleen A.]
      #22967 - Thu Sep 02 2004 12:15 AM

Quote:

Am I on the right track here?

In a word, Yes, I think so.

--------------------
Richard
A forecast is NOT a promise!

wxman007
Meteorologist

Loc: Tuscaloosa, AL
      #22968 - Thu Sep 02 2004 12:16 AM

Thru 108....

Still a GA landfall very near Savannah...very interesting..I expected different.

Mr Spock, good analysis on why the GFS is doing what it is doing..I just happen to disagree with what it is doing.

--------------------
Jason Kelley

Colleen A.

Loc: Florida
Re: How do you responnd... [Re: LI Phil]
      #22969 - Thu Sep 02 2004 12:16 AM

I would say to her, "If they tell you to leave, GO!" Listen to whatever you're county officials tell you to do. Don't wait because the exact landfall area isn't set in stone, sweetie. Take some time tonight to get important papers together--especially your insurance information--pack up things you may want to take if you decide to leave the state.

But above all, just remember this: material things can be replaced. Your life cannot. Please know that there are a lot of people here that will be thinking of you and all of those to be affected by Frances, and prayers are very powerful. Also, I know this is extremely scary, but try to keep yourself together. You'll need to rely on an inner strength that you probably don't even know you have. God bless...

--------------------
You know you're a hurricane freak when you wake up in the morning and hit "REFRESH" on CFHC instead of the Snooze Button.

MIAMIFL
Unregistered

Re: Track Shift WEST AND SOUTH [Re: Bloodstar]
      #22970 - Thu Sep 02 2004 12:16 AM

IF THAT IS NOT A CAT 5 NOW...PINCH ME

NHC IS BETTING ON A BIGTIME SLOW DONW...HOPE THEY KNOW SOMETHING MORE THAN ALL THE SITES AND DATA IN THE MODELS.....LATEST SPAGETTI IS IN FT. LAUDERDALE....KEEPS ON MOVING SOUTH AND WEST!!!!

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | >> (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 68 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  MikeC, Ed Dunham, danielw 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating: *****
Topic views: 37917

Rate this topic

Jump to

Note: This is NOT an official page. It is run by weather hobbyists and should not be used as a replacement for official sources. 
CFHC's main servers are currently located at
Hostdime.com in Orlando, FL.
Image Server Network thanks to Mike Potts and Amazon Web Services. If you have static file hosting space that allows dns aliasing contact us to help out! Some Maps Provided by:
Great thanks to all who donated and everyone who uses the site as well. Site designed for 800x600+ resolution
When in doubt, take the word of the National Hurricane Center