F
Current Radar or Satellite Image

Flhurricane.com - Central Florida Hurricane Center - Tracking Storms since 1995Hurricanes Without the Hype! Since 1995

Chill falls over the Atlantic as the official season heads towards close
Days since last H. Landfall - US: Any 232 (Idalia) , Major: 232 (Idalia) Florida - Any: 232 (Idalia) Major: 232 (Idalia)
None
COMMUNICATION
STORM DATA
CONTENT
FOLLOW US
ADS
Login to remove ads

News Talkback >> 2004 News Talkbacks

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | >> (show all)
MikeCAdministrator
Admin

Reged: Sun
Loc: Orlando, FL
Frances Weakens a Bit - Ivan forms in East Atlantic
      #23670 - Fri Sep 03 2004 08:54 AM

4:00PM
Recon reporting pressure dropping again which confirms that the weakening phase is over. Unfortunately back down to 959 mb

2:30PM
Storm pressure is up higher, going through bit of a weakening trend, may weaken a little more before it stabilizes. Still a category 3.

Do not focus on one point, track errors may be large.

Thanks Skeetobite again.
Original Update
Tropical Storm Ivan has formed east of the Caribbean Islands. More to come on it later.

Hurricane Frances, still a category 3 system, is being disrupted a bit this morning, from slight shear that has formed from the southwest. This is some relief to the Bahama islands, some of which have been ravaged so far.

Reminder this is just a guide, don't be fixatted ont he point of landfall.

The good news is that a large system like Frances can take a longer time to recover from distruptions like these, but the bad news is that the waters on the far side of the Bahamas are very warm from the Gulf Stream, add the sloward forward motion into the equation and it could recoup its strength again.

There will most likely be more surprises like this as well. It's not over yet. The east coast of Florida has prepared for the most part excellently for the storm, and the chance for a strong landfall is most definitely still there. I hope it does not, but although it could dip to Category 2 a bit, I think Frances will have enough time to recover before landfalling in Florida. Shear likely will help keep the recovery phase down until just before landfall, which is good news.

More to come during the day.

Hurricane Local Statements for Weather Offices in:

Melbourne (East Central Florida) - Long Range Radar Loop
Miami (South Florida) - Long Range Radar Loop
Key West (Florida Keys)Long Range Radar Loop
Tampa Bay (West Central Florida)Long Range Radar Loop
[url=http://flhurricane.com/cyclone/wxstatement.php?t=HLS&l=JAX]
Jacksonville (North Florida)[/url] - Long Range Radar Loop

Local county by county information will no longer be updated unles there is breaking news here -- it's just impossible to keep up because of the size of the area under Hurricane Watch. Use the links in the last article to view county emergency management webpages. Florida Disaster.org is the state em page, with links to locals as well.

Definitely more to come later...

** SITE NOTE ** This website is receiving way beyond record traffic today, it will be slow, it will go down ocasionally, but should be back up shortly when that happens. We've done everything we can to help this along short of dumping zillions into bandwidth and hardware to keep it going. Apologies in advance.

Jim Williams over at Hurricane City will be doing live broadcasts about Hurricane Frances startiing tonight at 8PM EST.

Event RelatedLinks
Miami Radar Long Range loop (Note the Miami NWS Radar hardware is having issues and may be down)
Frances Models -- This image animated over time
TD#9 Models -- This image animated over time
All model "Spaghetti" for Frances from hurricanealley
The Caribbean Hurricane Page - updates from the islands
Caribbean Island Weather Reports
Nice color satellite image of Frances approach (Animated Version)
High Speed Satellite Loops of Frances (Click floater)

General Links
Current Aircraft Recon Info

NRL Monterey Marine Meteorology Division Forecast Track of Active Systems (Good Forecast Track Graphic and Satellite Photos)

Check the Storm Forum from time to time for comments on any new developing system.

Follow worldwide SST evolution here:

Global SST Animation

NASA GHCC Interactive Satellite images at:

North Atlantic Visible (Daytime Only), Infrared, Water Vapor
LSU Sat images

Some forecast models:
NGM, AVN, MRF, ETA ECMWF
AVN, CMC, GFDL, JMA, NOGAPS, UKMET

DoD Weather Models (NOGAPS, AVN, MRF)

Multi-model plots from WREL
Other commentary at Independentwx.com, Robert Lightbown/Crown Weather Tropical Update Accuweather's Joe Bastardi (now subcriber only unfortunately), Hurricane Alley North Atlantic Page, HurricaneVille, Cyclomax (Rich B.), Hurricane City , mpittweather , WXRisk, Gary Gray's Millennium Weather, storm2k, Barometer Bob's Hurricane Hollow, Snonut,

Even more on the links page.

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
LONNY307
Unregistered

Re: Frances Weakens a Bit [Re: MikeC]
      #23672 - Fri Sep 03 2004 09:08 AM

YEP. There is some shear but the big issue is dry air in the upper levels. A little si of relief that hopefuly will keep Frances in check. :?:

Kruz
Verified CFHC User

Reged: Wed
Re: Frances Weakens a Bit [Re: MikeC]
      #23673 - Fri Sep 03 2004 09:15 AM

still looks like it will exit FL right over my house

--------------------
Dunnellon, FL

doug
Weather Analyst

Reged: Mon
Loc: parrish,fl
Re: Frances Weakens a Bit [Re: LONNY307]
      #23674 - Fri Sep 03 2004 09:31 AM

Yes I saw on the SFWMD site yesterday a model that showed the system now known s Ivan splitting Yucatan/Cuba into the so. GOM by the next weekend...oh happy day!
On to Frances: Frances is nearly stationary! BUT the ridge now exiting NC coast is moving steadly ESE and will force Frances to the wNW trac predicted by the NHC...Also the shear is lessening and outflow seems to be returnig to the W anSW portions of the storm...more symmetrical configuration beginng to reappear...good convection N of center...
Look for re-emergence of eye feature soon and return to the trac...
FYI Barometers continue relatively lower in the N Dade Broward and Palm Beach County areas

--------------------
doug

Justin in Miami
Storm Tracker

Reged: Thu
Loc: Ft. Lauderdale, Florida
Re: Frances Weakens a Bit [Re: doug]
      #23675 - Fri Sep 03 2004 09:37 AM

Yes, watching the barometers here in Ft. Laud. I must say...it is a rather nice day except for the occational breeze from the NE. All prepared and shuttered up down here! I don't recall having this much time to prepare for a storm.

Jamiewx
Storm Tracker

Reged: Wed
Loc: Orlando, Florida
Models [Re: doug]
      #23676 - Fri Sep 03 2004 09:37 AM

The models I just looked at here bring the storm in a little farther north than NHC track indicates, they remain on the south side of most of the models at the point where the center crosses the coast. Wonder if they may bring there track a little more to the north toward Melbourne.

Rabbit
Weather Master

Reged: Sat
Loc: Central Florida
Re: Frances Weakens a Bit [Re: doug]
      #23677 - Fri Sep 03 2004 09:38 AM

The last time Frances weakened, they thought it would go back to Cat IV in hours, just like they do now
there are three differences, however:
There is more shear right now, there is some very dry air wrapping into the hurricane, and it is starting to feel the influence of land

Frank P
Veteran Storm Chaser

Doug check out the Miami long range radar loop [Re: doug]
      #23679 - Fri Sep 03 2004 09:46 AM

From what I can see, and I know I'm looking at the upper levels of the system and not the LLC per se from this far out... but it sure hints of a center of rotation almost running parallel to the island of Eleuthera, the nothern part of the dog leg island that Frances has been pounding... IF this is the center of the system, looks to be moving around 290-300 degrees... only a medium confidence level at best with this evaluation.... here is the link, run it at fast speed....

http://radar.weather.gov/radar/loop/DS.p20-r/si.kamx.shtml

WXMAN RICHIE
Weather Master

Loc: Boynton Beach, FL
Frances and Ivan [Re: doug]
      #23680 - Fri Sep 03 2004 09:46 AM

I still think this storm turns due west because of the high pressure blocking its path northward. Flooding concerns becoming a real threat with slow motion expected. Bring the winds, not the flooding. At least I have insurance for the winds. Local stations already telling people to leave their shutters up for the possibility of Ivan next weekend. They say only remove necessary ones for fresh air or emergency exits. Remember all of you who thought this was a slow season about 5-6 weeks ago. You can really eat your crow now. Looks like I will be one of the first ones to see rainbands early this afternoon. My weather station is up and running, hopefully the power will stay on. Anyone outside the impact area that would like to PM me with their phone number, I will gladly call you to post my weather station info., should I lose power and can't link or post it. Thanks.

--------------------
Another typical August:
Hurricane activity is increasing and the Red Sox are choking.

Live weather from my backyard:
http://www.wunderground.com/weatherstation/WXDailyHistory.asp?ID=KFLBOYNT4

wezman1
Unregistered

Re: Frances Weakens a Bit [Re: Rabbit]
      #23681 - Fri Sep 03 2004 09:48 AM

Rabbit,

Are you still on the ship with JB on a northward turn up the coast to SC? I'm curious what he has to say this morning...

0-> Chris <-0

AgentB
Weather Guru

Reged: Fri
Loc: Winter Park, FL
      #23682 - Fri Sep 03 2004 09:54 AM Attachment (305 downloads)

Finally got some good sleep last night after seeing Frances weaken a bit, down to 120-125mph. Still powerful however. I'm still seeing shear coming out of the WSW from a high just south of central Cuba. The shear doesn't seem to be as strong as it did yesterday which could lead to some restrengthening(see attachment). I actually believed that if the storm came to a slow crawl this would be a somewhat worse scenario for Port St Lucie south. My reasoning being that Frances would continue to track a bit more west than north, pulling it closer and closer to the SE coast of Florida. Then the ridge builds in, Frances increases her forward speed a bit and tracks WNW(or maybe just a bit north of due west) again like she had been doing all week.

--------------------
Check the Surf

Cycloneye
Storm Tracker

Loc: Puerto Rico
Ivan will be a big hurricane [Re: wezman1]
      #23683 - Fri Sep 03 2004 09:54 AM

Looking at the sat pics the whole diameter of Ivan is very large and I fear it will be very strong maybe another major.I am also worried because it wont be a fish for the islands so the vigil from Puerto Rico commenses.

--------------------
My 2004 hurricane season forecast=13/8/3

Edited by Cycloneye (Fri Sep 03 2004 09:55 AM)

MikeCAdministrator
Admin

Reged: Sun
Re: Frances Weakens a Bit [Re: AgentB]
      #23684 - Fri Sep 03 2004 09:55 AM

FYI made a hardware change this morning that should make the site much more stable today. (knock on wood)

Rabbit
Weather Master

Reged: Sat
Loc: Central Florida
Re: Frances Weakens a Bit [Re: wezman1]
      #23685 - Fri Sep 03 2004 09:56 AM

very unsure of movement at the moment--could be anywhere between West Palm Beach and Charleston

Pressure up to 959 and it could be downgraded to 110 at 11

Tammy
Unregistered

#23687 - Fri Sep 03 2004 10:06 AM

Agent B: Do you have any reason to believe that there is a possiblity that flager and daytona beaches may lift the evaculation status any time today? Thanks Tammy

GaryC
Weather Guru

Re: Frances Weakens a Bit [Re: Tammy]
      #23688 - Fri Sep 03 2004 10:11 AM

I dont think that they will downgrade anyone until this hurricane is past it. Miami is still under the warnings and it is past them already. The NHC will be very cautious.

doug
Weather Analyst

Loc: parrish,fl
Re: Doug check out the Miami long range radar loop [Re: Frank P]
      #23689 - Fri Sep 03 2004 10:13 AM

THANKS FRANK: I BOOKMARKED THAT SITE FOR THIS EVENT, AND I AGREE THAT IS THE CENTER BUT I THINK IT IS MOVING SLOWLY WNW RIGHT TOWARD WPB...HARD TO TELL FROM THIS OR THE SAT PICS WE SEE.
I STLILL SEE SIGNS OF REGENERATION OF THE WESTERN SIDE OF THE SYSTEM, AND LESS INFLUENCE OF THE DRY AIR...SLOWLY RE GROUPING ITSELF...IMO

--------------------
doug

GlasserinD
Unregistered

#23690 - Fri Sep 03 2004 10:13 AM

Dear Friends, I found this website when I was searching the web for info. I own a home in Jupiter and live in Dallas. Hopelessly far away, unable to secure the property, and from what I understand - impossibole to find labor and supplies even if I was there. Just a brief comment: For the most part this site is a wonderful clearinghouse of pics, images and NOAA and NWS info. My criticism? No one here knows what the hell they are talking about. Don't be offended.. because apparently either do the so-called "pro's" - weathermen and meteorologists who post here all day. Your doom and gloom forecasts took weeks and months off this reader's life - and while we still may not kow what's to come - I think you should evaluate your own prognostic skills before posting with such certainty in the future. "I'm sure it will head back to the WNW shortly" - "It looks like this is only temporary and will restrengthen to a CAT 4 maybe a weak CAT 5." At this hour, these predictions are wrong and wronger - and to borrow from the movie, the people who posted them are dumb and dumber. Stick to the facts, please.

Sorry to hear your house is going to be leveled. Read the site disclaimer before you make such an assinine comment.

Edited by LI Phil (Fri Sep 03 2004 01:15 PM)

clyde w.
Storm Tracker

Reged: Fri
C40 [Re: doug]
      #23691 - Fri Sep 03 2004 10:20 AM

Of particular interest to me on the latest recon report was the 40 mile eye, open to the SW and NE. I believe that whether or not Frances is able to contract that eye today will be very telling on what intensity we have at landfall. It is possible, though not probable, that the pressure has risen partially owing another eyewall replacement cycle--as well as the shear that has developed.

Justin in Miami
Storm Tracker

Loc: Ft. Lauderdale, Florida
Re: Frances Weakens a Bit [Re: GlasserinD]
      #23692 - Fri Sep 03 2004 10:21 AM

Glasserin if that is your opinion about this site then stick to the NHC website and information. I use these sites to discuss these weather events....not to make decisions about property or even let the site get me excited/anxious about storms...I let the NHC get me excited about them...they are the pros...(and some on here are pros as well) However, on these sites its is ALL unofficial. If you enjoy discussing hurricanes then you will like this site...and all the crappy forecasts...lol

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | >> (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 205 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  MikeC, Ed Dunham, danielw 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating: *****
Topic views: 39643

Rate this topic

Jump to

Note: This is NOT an official page. It is run by weather hobbyists and should not be used as a replacement for official sources. 
CFHC's main servers are currently located at
Hostdime.com in Orlando, FL.
Image Server Network thanks to Mike Potts and Amazon Web Services. If you have static file hosting space that allows dns aliasing contact us to help out! Some Maps Provided by:
Great thanks to all who donated and everyone who uses the site as well. Site designed for 800x600+ resolution
When in doubt, take the word of the National Hurricane Center