F
Current Radar or Satellite Image

Flhurricane.com - Central Florida Hurricane Center - Tracking Storms since 1995Hurricanes Without the Hype! Since 1995

Chill falls over the Atlantic as the official season heads towards close
Days since last H. Landfall - US: Any 233 (Idalia) , Major: 233 (Idalia) Florida - Any: 233 (Idalia) Major: 233 (Idalia)
None
COMMUNICATION
STORM DATA
CONTENT
FOLLOW US
ADS
Login to remove ads

News Talkback >> 2004 News Talkbacks

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | >> (show all)
SoonerShawn
Unregistered

WEST? [Re: clyde w.]
      #23756 - Fri Sep 03 2004 12:47 PM

I hope I'm not correct on this but from what I just saw from the latest visible loop she may have just jogged west again.

I know I kind of go back and forth with what I see sometimes but that is due to my lack of knowledge on these storms. That is why I love this site so much because I feel free to express my views on what I see and sometimes I'm correct, which tells me I've actually learned something. Sometimes I'm wrong but that's O.K., too because I have all these wonderful people on this site to help me figure out my mistake so I can continue to learn. I would not trade this site for anything and thanks to all of you who have helped me along the way and all of you who will help me in the future. Most of all, thanks to Mike and John and the mods out there who keep this site in tip top shape; even in extreme circumstances like these. One he_ _ of a job,guys!!!!!

ShawnS

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
LoisCane
Veteran Storm Chaser

Reged: Fri
Loc: South Florida
Strengthening or not? [Re: rickonboat]
      #23757 - Fri Sep 03 2004 12:48 PM

I've heard conflicting things on TV concerning this. Over the last hour or so people on tv have mentioned that the colored infared shows that the NW side of the storm seems to be building back in and maybe that is a sign the shear from the SW is weakening.

Watching a live loop and can see that indeed it seems deeper in color than before.

Local TV is hyping every feeder band that might pass through. Imagine up in West Palm they are watching the eye and not the feeder bands.

Thanks for all the HARD work and TIME given by people like Jason who are REAL METS and don't mean Met fans vs Yankee fans but working weather people who give of their time and usually enjoy talking to other weather friends on breaks from their own busy work. SNONUT for posting his thoughts when I am sure he has better things to do. And.. many of the amateur people on this site that I respect greatly.

Anyway.. like to hear more thoughts on the storm. Windy here but having blue skies for now til the next feeder band comes through.

The storm does look different now than it did before and for that person who made a comment about Miami.. well.. Let her rip.. we are ready as ready can be and .. I love Miami. Not as much as Key West but its one hell of a town, trust me on that.

Thanks for all the hard work keeping this site up. I really miss it when it goes down. Nice to see it up.

Bobbi

Well said bobbi, real met fans (if there are any left) suck.

--------------------
http://hurricaneharbor.blogspot.com/

Edited by LI Phil (Fri Sep 03 2004 01:52 PM)

StormHound
Weather Guru

Reged: Sun
Loc: Orlando, FL
Re: Strengthening [Re: Unregistered User]
      #23758 - Fri Sep 03 2004 12:49 PM

Quote:

Hi All,

Just curious why Rickonbat would say this will head west and enter the GOM. Is tehre anything going on that could possibly cause this?

Thanks for all the great work

Yes, the fact that Rickonboat lives in Mobile and predicts every hurricane to head straight for him.

But rick is a good guy and provides insightful observations. We don't rely on him for track very much.

--------------------
Storm Hound
Computer Geek

Lakeland Gal
Unregistered

Re: Frances Weakens a Bit [Re: clyde w.]
      #23759 - Fri Sep 03 2004 12:51 PM

Ft. Lauderdale has reported a wind gust up to 44mph. How far away is Frances from Ft. Lauderdale?

Jamiewx
Storm Tracker

Reged: Wed
Loc: Orlando, Florida
MLB HLS [Re: berrywr]
      #23760 - Fri Sep 03 2004 12:51 PM

A couple of bits from the Hurricane Local Statement issued at 11:50

"FRANCES IS
MOVING SLOWLY AND COULD MOVE ALONG THE COAST OR MAKE A MOVE TOWARD THE COAST ON SHORT NOTICE AND INCREASE RAPIDLY IN INTENSITY. THE BOTTOM LINE IS ALL RESIDENTS IN THE WARNING AREA MUST STAY VIGILANT."

"THE MAXIMUM SUSTAINED WINDS WITH Frances ARE NEAR 115 MPH. ALTHOUGH SLIGHTLY WEAKER THAN BEFORE...FRANCES IS STILL A MAJOR HURRICANE...WITH SOME INCREASE IN INTENSITY POSSIBLE."

So Melbourne is not ruling out strengthening here, and any more weakening may increase the wind field, thus affecting a much wider area. That could be worse than stronger winds affecting a smaller area.

Just listened to Steve Lyons, he says structural damage confined to mainly the east coast, but downed trees and power lines could extend into Georgia too.

This is a pretty neat image for seeing just how far out strong winds extend.

Edited by Jamiewx (Fri Sep 03 2004 12:57 PM)

Frank P-jr
Unregistered

Re: WEST? [Re: SoonerShawn]
      #23761 - Fri Sep 03 2004 12:52 PM

last two visible loops hints of due west, or wnww, either that or we just had an eye reformation, we've not been able to clearly see it in a long time ..... obviously we need more loops... and not to harper on just a wobble or two, but ANY wobble now will have a critical impact on where this thing goes inland....

Frank P

Colleen A.

Reged: Sat
Loc: Florida
Re: WEST? [Re: Frank P-jr]
      #23762 - Fri Sep 03 2004 12:58 PM

Back on now as "Colleen A." instead of "Lakeland Gal".

I agree, Frank. It does look like a movement towards the west/wnw, the eye may going through another replacement cycle..for the 50th time. A couple of more loops may tell the tale. But it's definitely not our imaginations...

--------------------
You know you're a hurricane freak when you wake up in the morning and hit "REFRESH" on CFHC instead of the Snooze Button.

Daytonaman
Unregistered

Re: how unpredictable the tropics are!!! [Re: Rabbit]
      #23763 - Fri Sep 03 2004 01:00 PM

TWC forecasts like gas stations raise and lower gas prices...goes down slowly....goes up immediately. Hopes for the best as only living 2 miles from the coast...Godspeed everyone along this eastern coast of FL.

clyde w.
Storm Tracker

Loc: Orlando, FL
Re: Frances Weakens a Bit [Re: berrywr]
      #23764 - Fri Sep 03 2004 01:01 PM

Great post Alaberry Patch!

I think the storm will have a hard time re-consolidating and reaching its former peak winds, but I think 135mph is possible. More likely though it maintains or strengthens slightly prior to landfall.

Edited by clyde w. (Fri Sep 03 2004 01:04 PM)

andy1tom
Storm Tracker

Loc: Callaway, Florida
Re: MLB HLS [Re: Jamiewx]
      #23765 - Fri Sep 03 2004 01:02 PM

MOVING SLOWLY AND COULD MOVE ALONG THE COAST OR MAKE A MOVE TOWARD THE COAST ON SHORT NOTICE AND INCREASE RAPIDLY IN INTENSITY.
sounds like they are not ruling out either one. i wonder if it does take a west movement if it is gonna speed up or slow down?

Colleen A.

Reged: Sat
Loc: Florida
Re: WEST? [Re: Frank P-jr]
      #23766 - Fri Sep 03 2004 01:05 PM

Just a note of interest: the met on Channel 9 said at 12pm that the movement was to the NW and he expected that to continue. Just now, he only pointed pointed out how fast it was moving. I could just be that he figures that we can read the NW part on our own, but I've been following him now for three days straight (I'm a met stalker) and when he *doesn't* say something, it's usually because he has a good reason.

Or possibly not.

--------------------
You know you're a hurricane freak when you wake up in the morning and hit "REFRESH" on CFHC instead of the Snooze Button.

PutnamHannah
Unregistered

Re: Frances Weakens a Bit - Ivan forms in East Atlantic [Re: MikeC]
      #23767 - Fri Sep 03 2004 01:05 PM

Why haven't they updated this map!!! This is the best map with regional information on the web that I could find (another great one is the Carribeam Hurricane Network where you can put your exact coordinates in and see just how far the eye will get you you, how far the storm is fron you now and when it will reach you... SERIOUSLY COOL). All the other maps give just GENREAL information with no cities, or just Miami and Tampa on them. You would think that this being the FLORIDA site, you would get a LOT more and more FREQUENTLY updated information!

Tammy
Unregistered

Re: MLB HLS [Re: andy1tom]
      #23768 - Fri Sep 03 2004 01:07 PM

Can anyone offer updated Volusia Cty info at this time. Are you still under evacation? When would an evacation update be given? I live in GA but Daytona mean so much to my family and we actually all planned to be visiting as of this evening at Ocean Walk Resort. I hope all my friends in Daytona and all of Florida are safe.
Thanks Tammy

andy1tom
Storm Tracker

Loc: Callaway, Florida
Re: Frances Weakens a Bit - Ivan forms in East Atlantic [Re: PutnamHannah]
      #23769 - Fri Sep 03 2004 01:15 PM

he probably has a real job and hasn't had time to do it. nobody is paid here, and when most get a chance they will add their input.

kirdona

Reged: Thu
Re: MLB HLS [Re: Jamiewx]
      #23770 - Fri Sep 03 2004 01:15 PM

This site is the best! I am learning so much from all of you.

We just moved to Columbus, GA and most of the spaghettis take Frances right over us. Granted, we are very far inland, but having never experienced a hurricane before, I was hoping someone could give me ideas of what we can expect here.

Thanks!

rickonboat
Weather Hobbyist

reintensification and eyewall rebuilding project going on now [Re: Tammy]
      #23771 - Fri Sep 03 2004 01:15 PM

the definite left hand turn is indicative of one of two possible options...it slowed down...reacted to the high pressure ridge, took a bit of a whammy from some sheer...and is now reworking alond the ridge to the wwnw...

or..the eyewall is rebuilding...and there's a lot of wobbling going on....however...I see the entire storm taking an egg shape that points to the w or wwnw....and that usually implies the new direction..

I expect within 12 hours it will be a cat 4 again..and hit Miami...

then into the gulf for new fun and games...

GaryC
Weather Guru

Reged: Mon
Re: Frances Weakens a Bit - Ivan forms in East Atlantic [Re: andy1tom]
      #23772 - Fri Sep 03 2004 01:17 PM

Andi, the thing that gets me is that we have all of these people that love to gripe about thing s on here and are still anon. If someone can take the time to post a gripe, then take time to register.

LoisCane
Veteran Storm Chaser

Loc: South Florida
ft lauderdale wind gust was in a feeder band squall [Re: Lakeland Gal]
      #23773 - Fri Sep 03 2004 01:18 PM

Calm down.

Winds are very low here...but when we get feeder band it gets wild and windy and gusty for like four minutes.. and then its gone. Which is why we are all watching nonstop weather. Can't go anywhere. Walgreens.. mom and pop stores..everywhere you go its Frances live.

Mind you.. are expecting sustained winds later but 44 now was a gust in a feeder band if it happened.

--------------------
http://hurricaneharbor.blogspot.com/

WXMAN RICHIE
Weather Master

Reged: Mon
Loc: Boynton Beach, FL
Re: reintensification and eyewall rebuilding project going on now [Re: rickonboat]
      #23775 - Fri Sep 03 2004 01:19 PM

Agree Rick,

This is going to get blocked northward and head due west and intensify. Think Miami is too far south though, more like Ft. Lauderdale northward. The western edge is now filling in nicely from the dry air earlier.

--------------------
Another typical August:
Hurricane activity is increasing and the Red Sox are choking.

Live weather from my backyard:
http://www.wunderground.com/weatherstation/WXDailyHistory.asp?ID=KFLBOYNT4

SoonerShawn
Unregistered

Re: Frances Weakens a Bit - Ivan forms in East Atlantic [Re: GaryC]
      #23776 - Fri Sep 03 2004 01:20 PM

All of a sudden the SW part of the system has exploded. What gives??

ShawnS

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | >> (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 290 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  MikeC, Ed Dunham, danielw 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating: *****
Topic views: 39662

Rate this topic

Jump to

Note: This is NOT an official page. It is run by weather hobbyists and should not be used as a replacement for official sources. 
CFHC's main servers are currently located at
Hostdime.com in Orlando, FL.
Image Server Network thanks to Mike Potts and Amazon Web Services. If you have static file hosting space that allows dns aliasing contact us to help out! Some Maps Provided by:
Great thanks to all who donated and everyone who uses the site as well. Site designed for 800x600+ resolution
When in doubt, take the word of the National Hurricane Center