F
Current Radar or Satellite Image

Flhurricane.com - Central Florida Hurricane Center - Tracking Storms since 1995Hurricanes Without the Hype! Since 1995

Chill falls over the Atlantic as the official season heads towards close
Days since last H. Landfall - US: Any 232 (Idalia) , Major: 232 (Idalia) Florida - Any: 232 (Idalia) Major: 232 (Idalia)
None
COMMUNICATION
STORM DATA
CONTENT
FOLLOW US
ADS
Login to remove ads

News Talkback >> 2004 News Talkbacks

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | (show all)
h2ocean
Weather Hobbyist

Reged: Fri
Loc: South Merritt Island, FL
Re: East coast damage [Re: Unregistered User]
      #24296 - Wed Sep 08 2004 11:00 PM

Hey Gailmm...glad to hear your house did ok. I was posting the updates from S. Merritt Island until we lost power. We also faired well, we didn't even lose a shingle (we have miami-dade rated shingles and I guess they stood the test). You are correct about the flat roofs - I saw so many of them ripped off. Also many gable roofs failed. You are correct about the hip roofs being stronger, that is why I choose that roof style - the wind blows and it actually helps hold the sheathing in place. With flat roofs you get uplift.

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
wxman007
Meteorologist

Reged: Sat
Loc: Tuscaloosa, AL
My initial thoughts.... [Re: 52255225]
      #24300 - Wed Sep 08 2004 11:06 PM

Well, been studiing Ivan for several hours and here is what I have gleaned so far.

1) This is a GOM storm.

2) This is very near definately a Florida landfalling storm (the furtherest west I could place it at this point is Biloxi...and that is a stretch)

3) If pressed to make a call, I'd have to say the western peninsula is the most likely location....but this is extremely low confidence, and I am vaciliating between that and a Panhandle strike. The model guidance is not definative, to say the least...while I recognize why NHC is further right in this advisory, I am not in total agreement. Remember that NHC is using a model blend to come up with their track and not the 'best performing' model...this is a pretty good technique for trends, but not the best for nailing down an exact location, especially when the track spread is wide. The hinge is the trough, and the eventual impact on the track. The good news is that, as outlined in Beven's 11pm disco, there should be at least some slight weakening prior to landfall, but this might not be enough to significantly weaken it.

All residents of Florida should be watching very closely this week (as if they weren't already).

--------------------
Jason Kelley

Edited by wxman007 (Wed Sep 08 2004 11:09 PM)

WXMAN RICHIE
Weather Master

Reged: Mon
Loc: Boynton Beach, FL
I'm back / Frances Stats. [Re: recmod]
      #24302 - Wed Sep 08 2004 11:07 PM

Hi Everyone,

I am back after 4 days of having no power, no phone, no cell phone, a limited water supply and raw sewage pouring into my street. All in all my house weathered the storm well compared to my neighbors. In my neighborhood, there are tons of trees down, shingles off most homes, roof damage to many others, screen enclosures ripped apart, most fences down, signs all down, traffic signals all out, etc. I was in the southern eyewall for 5-6 hours straight on Saturday night. The wind just roared at hurricane force for all those hours. It is amazing how loud it is in a house all boarded up. Almost all of Palm Beach County was without power during the storm. Half of the county is still out after 5 days. I am one of the lucky ones to get power back. We still have a night time curfew, most traffic signals still out, stores closed, schools closed until next week, gas lines every place, etc., etc. My backyard weather station recorded a peak gust of 89 mph, a minimum pressure of 28.85" and 9.56" of rainfall. Of course the station was off the air for the height of the storm, so it came to keeping the stats the old fashioned way by pen and paper. Hope everyone else weathered the storm well. Pictures to come soon.

--------------------
Another typical August:
Hurricane activity is increasing and the Red Sox are choking.

Live weather from my backyard:
http://www.wunderground.com/weatherstation/WXDailyHistory.asp?ID=KFLBOYNT4

Jamiewx
Storm Tracker

Reged: Wed
Loc: Orlando, Florida
NWS Tampa Earlier Discussion [Re: 52255225]
      #24303 - Wed Sep 08 2004 11:09 PM

".LONG TERM (FRI NIGHT-WED)...HERE WE GO AGAIN? LOOKS LIKE WE MAY BE DEALING WITH Ivan BY THE TAIL END OF THE WEEKEND...BUT AS USUAL ALL ELEMENTS OF UPPER RIDGING AND TROUGHING WILL HAVE TO COME TOGETHER FOR US TO BE NAILED. UNFORTUNATELY...CONSENSUS OF THE MODELS HAVE
IT AFFECTING FLORIDA SOMEWHERE. WILL BE ABLE TO FOCUS MORE BY THE END OF THE WEEK...SO AS WE ALWAYS SAY...STAY TUNED."

MrSpock
Storm Tracker

the state of Ivan [Re: h2ocean]
      #24304 - Wed Sep 08 2004 11:14 PM

Last photos seem to show a slightly north of west motion, and the last picture now shows the eye has cleared out. I am wondering if an ERC has completed. I am guessing the winds will be increased by Thur. morning, since the increase in winds should spin down as a result of the sharp pressure drop earlier. It is still hard to believe the models keep shifting right. Not that I trust the ETA at this point, but at 84 hours, it has a track to the left of the others. I am thinking this will end up in the eastern GOM, but Charley was a good reminder that even short range forecasts can be challenging.

DroopGB31
Weather Guru

Loc: Pensacola
Re: My initial thoughts.... [Re: wxman007]
      #24306 - Wed Sep 08 2004 11:15 PM

Nice analysis Jason. So if you think a Biloxi landfall is a stretch, that'd mean Pensacola wouldnt be at to much more of a risk I'd hope? I just have a bad feeling about this one. Just seems like the storm with the most damage potential so far this year, and I dont want nothin to do with it. I dont wish it on anybody else though, so I feel bad because someones gonna get it...bad unfourtanetly. Hopefully we'll see some weakening prior to landfall rather than strengthening. So I guess all along the GC, prepare for the worst and hope for the best. Goodnight

wxman007
Meteorologist

Loc: Tuscaloosa, AL
Re: My initial thoughts.... [Re: DroopGB31]
      #24307 - Wed Sep 08 2004 11:26 PM

I'd say that Pensacola is a lot more at risk than BIX, but lower than other parts of FL....however, a strike in your area certainly is possible.

--------------------
Jason Kelley

Jeffmidtown
Weather Guru

Loc: Atlanta, Ga
Re: My initial thoughts.... [Re: DroopGB31]
      #24308 - Wed Sep 08 2004 11:26 PM

Just got through watching Glenn Burns our local met on WSB-TV and had the 11pm track from the NHC in which he said that the storm was supposed to hit just south of Tampa and cross over the state through Orlando and when I saw it, I felt my stomach drop to the floor.

Anyone who reads and contributes to these boards, please say a prayer for this monster not to hit Florida, because I just don't know how much more that state can take.

Edited by Jeffmidtown (Wed Sep 08 2004 11:28 PM)

SkeetoBiteAdministrator
Master of Maps

Reged: Sun
Loc: Lakeland, FL
Re: Back and Tracking Ivan [Re: MikeC]
      #24309 - Wed Sep 08 2004 11:28 PM

New map based on 11pm.

Also, true scale comparison. Seems that Ivan gets stronger and stronger, but the wind fields don't grow!?

Skeetobite.com

gailmm
Unregistered

Re: East coast damage [Re: h2ocean]
      #24311 - Wed Sep 08 2004 11:34 PM

Thanks for explaining what I thought I was observing. I remember reading that about hip roofs and it's one of the reasons we settled on the house we bought. Course, we're weird-we also looked at hurricane records to help us decide where we wanted to settle, though we fell in love with the area and probably would have bought there anyway. Joke's on us, huh?

Glad you made it through ok too. When it comes time to re-roof, we'll get those bad boy Dade shingles.

Weather Guru

Loc: Parrish Fl
Re: My initial thoughts.... [Re: Jeffmidtown]
      #24312 - Wed Sep 08 2004 11:49 PM

Geez thats Manatee county! To soon to tell. round and round and round she goes where she'll make landfall who knows! Can you imagine having no mets or technology to inform us? I bet people from early era were devastated by hurricanes. no preparation nothing just whammo! Pretty scary

scottsvb1
Unregistered

Re: My initial thoughts.... [Re: 52255225]
      #24314 - Thu Sep 09 2004 12:04 AM

there is a new thead posted about 1 hour ago,,,plz go there,,ty.

ShanaTX
Storm Tracker

Reged: Mon
Loc: Texas
Before satellite data [Re: 52255225]
      #24315 - Thu Sep 09 2004 12:05 AM

And here's an extreme example of why we're lucky to know where the storm is...

The 1900 Galveston Hurricane

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 139 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  MikeC, Ed Dunham, danielw 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 24240

Rate this topic

Jump to

Note: This is NOT an official page. It is run by weather hobbyists and should not be used as a replacement for official sources. 
CFHC's main servers are currently located at
Hostdime.com in Orlando, FL.
Image Server Network thanks to Mike Potts and Amazon Web Services. If you have static file hosting space that allows dns aliasing contact us to help out! Some Maps Provided by:
Great thanks to all who donated and everyone who uses the site as well. Site designed for 800x600+ resolution
When in doubt, take the word of the National Hurricane Center