F
Current Radar or Satellite Image

Flhurricane.com - Central Florida Hurricane Center - Tracking Storms since 1995Hurricanes Without the Hype! Since 1995

Chill falls over the Atlantic as the official season heads towards close
Days since last H. Landfall - US: Any 211 (Idalia) , Major: 211 (Idalia) Florida - Any: 211 (Idalia) Major: 211 (Idalia)
None
COMMUNICATION
STORM DATA
CONTENT
FOLLOW US
ADS
Login to remove ads

News Talkback >> 2004 News Talkbacks

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | >> (show all)
Bioman
Unregistered

Re: Ivan with Double Eyewalls? Weakens a bit [Re: MikeC]
      #24582 - Thu Sep 09 2004 08:29 PM

I have been very impressed with this website. I am a weather fanatic and althought the last two hurricanes were devestating for many around me I remain quite fascinated. I Live in DeLand Florida and sort of have an amateur weather station going here. I teach science at Deland High School. Personally i think volusia county was one of the hardest hit. I think this has to do with a "crack the whip" theory. we were on the edge of the storm with Francis but we took alot of damage. If my math and geometry is correct something that rotates around a point the outside edge away from the center has to cover more ground than the middle. the storms that were hitting us were moving in excess of 50 mph. If the storms are moving that fast what does that do to the windspeed? When cape canaveral got a blast of 124 mph and there were gusts at hurricane strength to my east in Daytona im starting to wonder if its safe to be on the edge. Here we were out of power for five days but for rainfall i recorded 10.25" over three days. Not to mention we had 2.79 inches this afternoon and evening from stationary boomers. Also I live about a mile from the st. johns river and it is starting to envelop homes on the river. Anyone know what sort of impact 3" of rain is going to have on the overall cresting forecast released earlier this week? Keep up the good work. Im fascinated by everyones interest in Hurricanes and weather in General. BTW I have received 38.7 inches since i purchased my wireless rain gage. that total is since July 1st....pretty amazing.

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Frank P
Veteran Storm Chaser

Reged: Mon
Re: Vortex translation [Re: MrSpock]
      #24584 - Thu Sep 09 2004 08:31 PM

good point as I was reading the vortex translation info in lieu of the actual vortex message... .... stands to reason that the NW quad is correct with the reduced flight level winds... not sure what happed to decoder.... need to check it out on next vortex message decoding....

also agree that track should shift a little right a little at 11 based on the new model runs...

thanks

kelcot
Weather Guru

Reged: Wed
Loc: Canton, Ga
Re: Ivan with Double Eyewalls? Weakens a bit [Re: Bioman]
      #24585 - Thu Sep 09 2004 08:33 PM

Quote:

Anyone know what sort of impact 3" of rain is going to have on the overall cresting forecast released earlier this week?

I'ld get your snorkel/ scuba gear ready.

--------------------
Kelly

Kevin
Weather Master

Reged: Fri
Loc: EC Florida
Re: This was interesting [Re: BillD]
      #24586 - Thu Sep 09 2004 08:34 PM

Quote:

It is because they don't really know. The track will continue to flip flop and change right up until a day or two before landfall. That is why they have already started evacuating the Keys, since it takes at least 2 days to do that.

This is from the 5PM Discussion, and "thereafter" refers to after 2-3 days.

THEREAFTER...THE TRACK CONTINUES TO BE
UNCERTAIN SINCE STEERING CURRENTS ARE FORECAST TO WEAKEN AND MODELS
DIVERGE.

Bill

Bingo, all you have to do is take a degree or so away from the 120 hour 5PM position and Ivan is on Florida's wc!

rd522525
Unregistered

Re: Vortex translation [Re: Frank P]
      #24587 - Thu Sep 09 2004 08:38 PM

s--t what kinda boat you livin on boy? you r a brave soul! I have a premenition your in for a big ride!

Should I take this one down?

Edited by LI Phil (Thu Sep 09 2004 08:45 PM)

MrSpock
Storm Tracker

Re: Vortex translation [Re: Frank P]
      #24588 - Thu Sep 09 2004 08:40 PM

Is it possible the note was typed with the wrong direction? I agree that the lighter winds are prob. in the NW quad, but I wasn't sure which to believe.

Heather
Weather Hobbyist

Reged: Tue
Loc: Sebring, FL
Re: This was interesting [Re: Kevin]
      #24589 - Thu Sep 09 2004 08:41 PM

It is all very fascinating, though destructive, too. Glad I found this site as the people around me think I'm a bit odd. I have learned much from you all. I tend to visualize the storm paths in my own mind, mixed with gut feelings. Your smarts help me see the why.

--------------------
When it rains, it pours...

Rasvar
Weather Master

Loc: Tallahassee, Fl
      #24590 - Thu Sep 09 2004 08:41 PM

Have not had a chance to look at any other recon data. The NW would not normally be the strongest quad. NE should have the higher winds. They may not have sampled the NE Quad or gotten a good reading from there.

--------------------
Jim

Terra
Storm Tracker

Loc: Kingwood, Texas
Re: This was interesting [Re: Heather]
      #24591 - Thu Sep 09 2004 08:50 PM

Quote:

It is all very fascinating, though destructive, too. Glad I found this site as the people around me think I'm a bit odd. I have learned much from you all. I tend to visualize the storm paths in my own mind, mixed with gut feelings. Your smarts help me see the why.

I'm glad to see I'm not the only one. I teach chemistry and Earth science at a Louisiana University and have been obsessing over these storms. I am also an advisor for one of the sororities and rush is going on right now. Instead, I am sitting in one of the girl's rooms reading this board/checking out stats.... It's not that I think hurricanes are fun (as everyone seems to misunderstand), I just find them interesting and have a great respect for their power.

--------------------
Terra Dassau Cahill

BillD
User

Loc: Miami
      #24592 - Thu Sep 09 2004 08:54 PM

Not unless they also had a typo in line G, which is the direction and distance from the eye that the wind was detected, and 325 is NW.

But anything is possible without analyzing all the obs they made, as to what the path of the plane might have been between the last two vortex messages. It could well be they didn't make it to the NE quadrant between the two. Hurricanes are very dynamic systems, and as good a job as they do, it is difficult for the recon planes to stay at an exact altitude, exact course and make a perfect reading every time.

Besides it is not the spot readings that are looked at, but trends and averages.

Bill

slwfreez
Unregistered

Re: Ivan with Double Eyewalls? Weakens a bit/where this crap going? [Re: MikeC]
      #24593 - Thu Sep 09 2004 09:03 PM

(Off topic post removed by moderator.)

Edited by LI Phil (Thu Sep 09 2004 09:05 PM)

Colleen A.

Reged: Sat
Loc: Florida
Re: Models [Re: Jamiewx]
      #24594 - Thu Sep 09 2004 09:04 PM

Check out the 5AM advisory and see what Stewart says about the track in the 96-120 hours. Very interesting.

Boys....hang on to your hats...football's on and I'm calling the shots! WWWWWWWWWWEEEEEEEEEEEEHAAAAAWWWWWWWWWW!!!!

--------------------
You know you're a hurricane freak when you wake up in the morning and hit "REFRESH" on CFHC instead of the Snooze Button.

Wxwatcher2
Storm Tracker

Loc:
Models [Re: BillD]
      #24595 - Thu Sep 09 2004 09:04 PM

Looks like the models are trying to make it a more lively weekend in South Florida !!!!

The models seem to be doing a flip flop on each run.
(I won't go there).......

wxman007
Meteorologist

Reged: Sat
Loc: Tuscaloosa, AL
Re: Models [Re: Wxwatcher2]
      #24596 - Thu Sep 09 2004 09:08 PM

Don't hang your hat on the 06 and 18Z runs...there is very little 'new' data going into them...I wouldn't base a big forecast shift on just the 18Z or 06Z runs..but I ain't NHC either...

--------------------
Jason Kelley

Clark
Meteorologist

Loc:
For what it's worth... [Re: Clark]
      #24597 - Thu Sep 09 2004 09:14 PM

A lot of the old runs of the FSU Superensemble were on the left of all available model guidance, trending towards the Fl. panhandle. They had been remarkably consistant in doing so. I can't post the latest information, thus the disclaimer in the title. Intensity fairly well agreed with NHC save for the differences in track affecting intensity.

--------------------
Current Tropical Model Output Plots
(or view them on the main page for any active Atlantic storms!)

Rasvar
Weather Master

Loc: Tallahassee, Fl
Re: For what it's worth... [Re: Clark]
      #24598 - Thu Sep 09 2004 09:24 PM

Maybe this will finally be Riconaboat's show. Not that I am wishing it on anyone. However, being only about 20 miles from the Charley/Frances X marks the spot, I am a bit storm weary.

At this poiint one has to ask...wouldn't a Cat V in Mobile bay make EVERYONE happy?

The storm seems to have been running left of guidence for a while. I think that trend may continue.

Edited by LI Phil (Thu Sep 09 2004 09:36 PM)

wezman1
Unregistered

Re: For what it's worth... [Re: Rasvar]
      #24599 - Thu Sep 09 2004 09:28 PM

The AVN model shows Ivan curving around Florida and making landfall in the Carolinas. Is there any creedence to this or would you put this model in a class with the 'right outliers'

Clark
Meteorologist

Loc:
Re: For what it's worth... [Re: wezman1]
      #24600 - Thu Sep 09 2004 09:29 PM

I think the AVN is what you call "out to lunch," meaning that it is a right outlier. There's nothing out there to support it's scenario of an upper low along 30 N eroding the west side of the ridge and turning the storm north into another ridge, at least not that I can see.

--------------------
Current Tropical Model Output Plots
(or view them on the main page for any active Atlantic storms!)

MrSpock
Storm Tracker

Re: For what it's worth... [Re: wezman1]
      #24601 - Thu Sep 09 2004 09:34 PM

It did the same thing with Frances, and has shown widely varied tracks out past 5 days. I understand model skill with these are low at that point, but it has had it doing loops, jumps, backflips, somersaults (sp?) and everything else it can do with it. High pressure aloft is supposed to develop in SE Canada as per the CPC discussion from earlier today, but its recent track record is not that good. The CPC did mention it could get trapped anywhere from the Mid-Atlantic to the Ohio Valley, but I feel uncomfortable speculating past Jamaica at this point.

Martha

Reged: Thu
Re: For what it's worth... [Re: Clark]
      #24603 - Thu Sep 09 2004 09:36 PM

I saw a link on here yesterday to www.Orlandoweather.com where you could see the paths of all the storms Well, no matter what anyone says I think this is coming right in where Charley did because since according to this since Ivan met up with Charley's path it is following in his footsteps....

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | >> (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 131 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  MikeC, Ed Dunham, danielw 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating: *****
Topic views: 40716

Rate this topic

Jump to

Note: This is NOT an official page. It is run by weather hobbyists and should not be used as a replacement for official sources. 
CFHC's main servers are currently located at
Hostdime.com in Orlando, FL.
Image Server Network thanks to Mike Potts and Amazon Web Services. If you have static file hosting space that allows dns aliasing contact us to help out! Some Maps Provided by:
Great thanks to all who donated and everyone who uses the site as well. Site designed for 800x600+ resolution
When in doubt, take the word of the National Hurricane Center