F
Current Radar or Satellite Image

Flhurricane.com - Central Florida Hurricane Center - Tracking Storms since 1995Hurricanes Without the Hype! Since 1995

Chill falls over the Atlantic as the official season heads towards close
Days since last H. Landfall - US: Any 232 (Idalia) , Major: 232 (Idalia) Florida - Any: 232 (Idalia) Major: 232 (Idalia)
None
COMMUNICATION
STORM DATA
CONTENT
FOLLOW US
ADS
Login to remove ads

News Talkback >> 2004 News Talkbacks

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | >> (show all)
MikeCAdministrator
Admin

Reged: Sun
Loc: Orlando, FL
Ivan with Double Eyewalls? Weakens a bit
      #24533 - Thu Sep 09 2004 04:56 PM

11PM
Ivan is holding at a category 4 level for now. The track remains very similar to the 5PM. The current forecast track has it skirting along the west coast of Florida into the big bend, but again even a slight error really can change this.

The good news is that shear is expected to develop so we may have another storm that weakens right before any landfall, but the otuflow is so good right now, it may not weaken as much as I'd hope. Intensity forecasts are by far the most prone to error, and this will have to be watched.

Original Update
Hurricane Ivan is back to Category 4, after an impressive run earlier today as a category 5.

It's expected to fluctuate in intensity, and again, the forecast track has moved a bit to the left. However the longer term forecast is still quite uncertain. It will be interesting to watch the model trends.

It may be going through a double eyewall cycle, which would explain the weaker winds. This would allow it to restrengthen once again once this cycle is over.

XML Current Storm Positions are now available at this link.

Also, Tropical depression 10 has already came and went, it's now has dissipated.

More to come later today.

** SITE NOTE ** Although we are working on improving the site hardware and bandwidth (thanks to donations and help from others), we are still using the old system currently, with slight modifications. Therefore the site may go down from time to time, although not for very long. We are continually working on improving the response without removing usefulness. We have new hardware on order and should be in sometime next week.

Those asking for a mailing address for donations should use
Mike Cornelius
804 Omni Blvd
Suite 101
Newport News, VA 23606

Event RelatedLinks
Stormcarib personal reports from Jamaica
Ivan Models -- This image animated over time
Ivan Spaghetti Model from Hurricanealley/boatus (Working Link)
Weather Underground Model Plots for Ivan
The Caribbean Hurricane Page - updates from the islands
Caribbean Island Weather Reports
Nice color satellite image
Animated Color Ivan Satellite (With NHC Track Overlay)
(Animated Version)
High Speed Satellite Loops (Click floater)
Forecast Discussions for (Show All Locations):
Tampa. Miami, Key West, Tallahassee.
Melbourne
Hurricane Local Statements for Weather Offices in:
Key West (Florida Keys)Long Range Radar Loop

General Links
Skeetobite's storm track maps
Current Aircraft Recon Info

NRL Monterey Marine Meteorology Division Forecast Track of Active Systems (Good Forecast Track Graphic and Satellite Photos)

Check the Storm Forum from time to time for comments on any new developing system.

Follow worldwide SST evolution here:

Global SST Animation

NASA GHCC Interactive Satellite images at:

North Atlantic Visible (Daytime Only), Infrared, Water Vapor
LSU Sat images

Some forecast models:
NGM, AVN, MRF, ETA ECMWF
AVN, CMC, GFDL, JMA, NOGAPS, UKMET

DoD Weather Models (NOGAPS, AVN, MRF)

Multi-model plots from WREL
Other commentary at Independentwx.com, Robert Lightbown/Crown Weather Tropical Update Accuweather's Joe Bastardi (now subcriber only unfortunately), Hurricane Alley North Atlantic Page, HurricaneVille, Cyclomax (Rich B.), Hurricane City , mpittweather , WXRisk, Gary Gray's Millennium Weather, storm2k, Barometer Bob's Hurricane Hollow, Snonut,

Even more on the links page.

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
LI Phil
User

Reged: Fri
Loc: Long Island (40.7N 73.6W)
Re: Ivan with Double Eyewalls? Weakens a bit [Re: MikeC]
      #24539 - Thu Sep 09 2004 05:05 PM

Thanks for the new thread Mike. You're doing an OUTSTANDING job.

--------------------
2005 Forecast: 14/7/4

BUCKLE UP!

"If your topic ain't tropic, your post will be toast"

LI Phil
User

Re: Ivan with Double Eyewalls? Weakens a bit [Re: LI Phil]
      #24541 - Thu Sep 09 2004 05:07 PM

Steve posted this in the previous thread, so I'm reposting it here for all to see:

I think that which is off of Tampa is the remains of an old frontal boundary. It doesn't look like the setup is there for anything to happen.
------------------------------------------------
Thanks to everyone for your kind words.
Phil, you have to go to the "visible floater" because the East just shows the Gulf (or at least on my system that's all it did).
-----------------------------------------------
The 5pm track is about what I expected from the TPC. They've nudged it west and made it look like a Big Bend threat. Most of the models are showing a due north motion, but I don't see it as pronounced as they do. While Ivan is moving at 300 degrees (10 degrees slightly closer to WNW than NW), it's going to have to edge up farther for them to hit the current track. I'd expect them to continue to nudge it gradually over the next few days. I also like one aspect of their 5 day which still shows the system over water. Tuesday IMHO is the earliest landfall time. It's probably going to be Wed.
Bobbi,

Check out the High Res SST's . The coldest water in the Gulf is nearly 82 degrees, so there is plenty of support. Currently, the eastern and western Gulf have the most potential (as seen by the oranges on the map link).

Steve

--------------------

BUCKLE UP!

Frank P
Veteran Storm Chaser

Reged: Mon
Ever so slightly shifting west.... is this a trend? [Re: MikeC]
      #24542 - Thu Sep 09 2004 05:09 PM

The past two forecasts from the NHC have slightly shifted west from both 11 am and 5 pm....

The question of the day is this trend going to continue... or will we see it shift back to the right?

Each slight shift west is just a little better for the west coast and not so good for the panhandle...

Clark
Meteorologist

Reged: Wed
Loc:
      #24543 - Thu Sep 09 2004 05:11 PM

Ah, was just about to post on the other thread when I saw this one up.

In any case, Ivan continues to be a very well-developed hurricane, and save for interactions with Jamaica, should continue to maintain it's intensity -- or perhaps restrengthen a bit -- over the next day to two and a half days. The eyewall replacement cycle shouldn't be all that unexpected -- it's been awhile since the last one took place, and storms rarely do maintain this high of an intensity for such a long period of time. What would be unexpected would be for the outer eyewall to collapse and leave the inner eyewall, which is what happened with Charley...and would unfortunately lead to even more strengthening.

In the short term, a track over the length of Jamaica -- or perhaps just south of such -- is a likely bet. There's support for this from the models and the observations. I'd trend towards just south of the island with the building ridge to the storm's north, but it's still going to rake the island sometime tomorrow.

Longer-term, a path near the Isle of Youth followed by a track over the short end of Cuba is where I am leaning now. There's not really anything to force it to go further north or east than that. As an aside, the GFS seems to develop a peculiar weakness in the ridge currently to the north of the storm and propogate it westward, eroding the west side of the ridge and leading to the storm making an early turn northward. There are no indications this is taking place, yet alone will take place, so I feel that the Florida miss to the east can safely be put to rest. The spot near Cuba looks to be in about 3 days. NHC intensity of 140kt may be a little high, but not too far off.

Beyond there, I tend to favor a northwest-north-northwest-north track towards the Florida panhandle. This is consistant with my thinking from yesterday and is reflected in one of the threads from before...the particular one escapes me at the moment, however. The impending trough, I do not feel, will not completely pick up this storm. While the models are getting a better handle on the strength of the ridge now than they did with Frances, I think they are overdoing it with the extent and strength of the trough expected to turn Ivan. The observations, particularly to the south of the Mason/Dixon line, don't really support a sharp recurvature at this time.

It is of note that the storm should arrive to the coast in 4.5-6.5 days' time, depending on where it does make landfall. I believe 6 days is the most likely scenario for the Florida panhandle. It should also do so as a much weaker storm than it is now, albeit likely still a major hurricane. Think mid-3 to low-4 instead of 4/5. There is support in this track from the FSU Superensemble, which as noted in a previous NHC discussion follows this general track.

It's still too far out to pinpoint any set of locations, so everyone from NO east in the Gulf needs to watch this...but residents of the lower Keys and from between Biloxi and St. Marks need to watch this one closely. Pressed for a further narrowing of locations, I would look at Ft. Walton Beach to Apalachicola. In any event, this is going to be a storm that is going to affect a lot of people -- as it already has -- and I hope everyone's thoughts (and/or prayers) are with the residents of Jamaica for the coming day or two as this dangerous storm nears the island.

--------------------
Current Tropical Model Output Plots
(or view them on the main page for any active Atlantic storms!)

Steve
Senior Storm Chaser

Loc: Metairie, LA
Re: Ivan with Double Eyewalls? Weakens a bit [Re: LI Phil]
      #24544 - Thu Sep 09 2004 05:12 PM

I needed to clarify an edit point in the post Phil reposted. It was that the 300 degrees is about 10 degrees off from due NW (310 degrees) and 7.5 from true WNW (292.5 degrees).

Thanks,

Steve

--------------------
MF'n Super Bowl Champions

wxman007
Meteorologist

Reged: Sat
Loc: Tuscaloosa, AL
Thoughts.... [Re: LI Phil]
      #24546 - Thu Sep 09 2004 05:14 PM

I am getting more and more concerned this afternoon about a Panhandle strike. The battle is, as it was with Frances, the Ridge to the NE vs the approaching trough to the west. What concerns me is that ALL the US modelling was too far east with Frances, and so far has been too far east and north with Ivan. Trends are very important here. I am afraid (for my sake, but not for S Fl) that the ridge AGAIN is underforecast by the US modelling suites, and that the Euro/Canadian track are more accurate. If you have Accuweather Pro, JB did a very good writeup today about his theories as to why that is.

Nevertheless, ALL residents of Florida are under the gun from Ivan...however, my forecast focus, at least for now, is in the areas between Tampa and Mobile.

As always, your mileage may vary....

--------------------
Jason Kelley

Colleen A.

Loc: Florida
Re: Ever so slightly shifting west.... is this a trend? [Re: Frank P]
      #24547 - Thu Sep 09 2004 05:18 PM

Here's the Tampa Bay NWS Discussion from this afternoon:

Quote:

LONG TERM (SAT NIGHT - THU)...ALL EYES ON Ivan FOR THE SUN-TUE PERIOD. STILL MUCH UNCERTAINTY REGARDING EVENTUAL TRACK AFTER
72H. AS HAS BEEN THE CASE WITH THE PREVIOUS TWO 'CANES...THE UPPER PATTERN PUZZLE PIECES WILL HAVE TO FIT JUST RIGHT TO GIVE FLORIDA
ANOTHER DIRECT HIT. IN ADDITION...WHERE IT GOES OVER THE NEXT 72H WILL ALSO AFFECT INTENSITY ESPECIALLY SHOULD IT STRIKE JAMAICA.

THE GFS CONTINUES TO HAVE A RIGHT BIAS...BUT IT APPEARS TO BE COMING IN LINE AT 12Z WITH CONSENSUS FAVORING THE EASTERN GULF RATHER THAN THE ATLC. NOGAPS HAS BEEN REMARKABLY CONSISTENT FOR THREE DAYS IN A WORST-CASE TRACK ACROSS THE SUNCOAST...AND THE CANADIAN HAS BEEN SIMILAR. SEVERAL KEYS TO THE LONG RANGE EVOLUTION WILL BE...HOW STRONG NE U.S. TROUGH IS ON DAY 4...HOW LONG THE WESTERN ATLC RIDGE WILL HOLD THROUGH DAY 3...AND WILL THERE BE A PATH OF LEAST RESISTANCE FOR THE STORM TO TRACK THROUGH THE EASTERN GULF. IN ADDITION...HOW MUCH SLOWING WILL OCCUR AS THE SYSTEM REACHES THE EDGE OF THE RIDGE? THESE QUESTIONS WILL BE ANSWERED OVER THE NEXT
FEW DAYS.

See, even THEY don't know the answers. NOGAPS has been showing almost the same path since I had the guts to look it at 3 days ago. UKMET too. Remember how they all came in line with Charley and then Frances? I'm never eating spaghetti again.

--------------------
You know you're a hurricane freak when you wake up in the morning and hit "REFRESH" on CFHC instead of the Snooze Button.

Frank P
Veteran Storm Chaser

Reged: Mon
Girls Lie too.... [Re: Colleen A.]
      #24549 - Thu Sep 09 2004 05:35 PM

""I'm never eating spaghetti again."" Yeah Right Colleen.. hehe

Here is an interesing sat loop of Ivan... after it runs click in the NHC forecast box at the top to see the forecast overlay track in comparison with the actual sat loop..

http://www.ssec.wisc.edu/~rickk/ivan.html

I will NEVER give up spaghetti....

VolusiaMike
Weather Hobbyist

Reged: Thu
Loc: Ormond Beach, FL
GFS Model [Re: Colleen A.]
      #24550 - Thu Sep 09 2004 05:35 PM

Lost my link to GFS models, anybody got it handy?

SkeetoBiteAdministrator
Master of Maps

Loc: Lakeland, FL
Map update [Re: MikeC]
      #24551 - Thu Sep 09 2004 05:36 PM

Updated detail map.

Full size image & others available at Skeetobite.com

MrSpock
Storm Tracker

Re: Girls Lie too.... [Re: Frank P]
      #24552 - Thu Sep 09 2004 05:46 PM

Frank, that is an awesome graphic. Thank you for posting that link. Will I be able to save that link and have it update from time to time?

MrSpock
Storm Tracker

Re: GFS Model [Re: VolusiaMike]
      #24553 - Thu Sep 09 2004 05:47 PM

http://cirrus.sprl.umich.edu/wxnet/model/model.html

There's the one I use.

the gulf
Unregistered

thanks for all the excellent discussion [Re: LI Phil]
      #24554 - Thu Sep 09 2004 05:55 PM

My question on the gulf was that if the trend continues wouldn't it help pull the storm north faster... sharper and weaken the opening in the ridge more.

Maybe it will die down after the sun goes down but as the day grows its beginning to look like a frontal boundary.

That was my question.

great dicsussion.. thanks jason and clark

Colleen A.

Re: Girls Lie too.... [Re: MrSpock]
      #24555 - Thu Sep 09 2004 05:57 PM

I swear I'm not lying about this.. ....if you click on the link, go up to the browser and highlight it, then save as "your favorites".

--------------------
You know you're a hurricane freak when you wake up in the morning and hit "REFRESH" on CFHC instead of the Snooze Button.

MrSpock
Storm Tracker

Re: Girls Lie too.... [Re: Colleen A.]
      #24556 - Thu Sep 09 2004 05:59 PM

Thanks, I did save it, and (go flyers) LOL

recmod
Weather Guru

Loc: Orlando, FL
Latest Vortex [Re: MrSpock]
      #24557 - Thu Sep 09 2004 06:53 PM

The latest vortex message now has central pressure back down to 920mb with FL winds at 144knots. Could some intensification be happening again?

http://www.nhc.noaa.gov/text/MIAREPNT2.shtml?

--Lou

okiherdu
Unregistered

#24558 - Thu Sep 09 2004 07:17 PM

I have no idea what I'm doing here, except that I wanted to tell you all to keep up the good work. I've learned more here than I have in my almost 40 years or residence in Florida.

Max

LI Phil
User

Grenada, Frances, Apprentice, RUReady for... [Re: recmod]
      #24559 - Thu Sep 09 2004 07:23 PM

some football?

Couplathree things. I don't know if anyone has seen the video, but the island of Grenada is basically destroyed. 90% of all homes are damaged or destroyed. Unfathomable damage/12 deaths/flooding...the whole 9. Good God, Ivan means business. Pray for Jamaica, mon. Then the Caymans, then Coobah...then...lets not go there yet.

Frances is still not done with the US. My area took heavy rains yesterday (5+" in NYC, subways flooded, rivers overflowing, you name it). Today, she's giving us her winds...just watch the US Open tennis and you'll get an idea. Obviously nothing which you Floridians faced and I'm not trying to compare it, but pretty impressive nonetheless.

The Donald's ego-inflating reality show debuts season 2 tonight. Another series I will NOT be watching...but...

The NFL kicks it off tonight...let's all watch some pro footie and get our minds off Ivan for a few hours...and the pre-game show...well...something for everyone. No Janet thankfully.

TD10 may become Jeanine (sp?) eventually, but hard to say right now...fishspinner we hope. Whatever the "L" storm is should be Florida's next bad headache...A(lex) B(onnie) Charley; D(anielle), E(arl), F(rances); G(aston), H(ermine), I(van); J(eanine), K(arl), L(isa).

Lets hope not.

My thinking is that Ivan definitely gets back to CAT V (although at 150 mph, what's the difference) before striking Jamaica. We better HOPE it crosses Jamaica (not for the Jamaican's sake though) rather than miss it south or it could be an even bigger world of hurt down the road. And also, lets pray for a trek across the MOUNTAINS of Cooba, not the narrow flat part where Charley chose to cross.

OK, that's it for now...

--------------------

BUCKLE UP!

Colleen A.

Re: Latest Vortex [Re: recmod]
      #24560 - Thu Sep 09 2004 07:24 PM

It looks like it might be restrengthining...we'll find out at 8pm. This track has shifted left, right, left, right, left...you get the idea, huh? It's going to keep doing that, probably until the stupid thing makes landfall SOMEWHERE. Watch for a continuing trend either way during the next 48 hours and you'll have a pretty good idea of the general direction of where it's going. Tampa Bay escaped a direct hit with Charley hours before landfall...by 70 miles. So, it does make a HUGE difference in the long run. The thing with Ivan (or any hurricane for that matter) is that so many people are just waiting with bated breath for every scrap of information we can get that we drive ourselves insane. Take me for example, I'm insane.

I noticed on the last loops that it might have taken a jog to the north, or that may have been the eye jumping, I don't know. I'm not saying it's going due north, it just looked like it took a little jog to the north.

Speaking of weather, our stinks. I just sat in the parking lot at the highschool where my kids play youth football for 47 minutes while lightning was striking all over the place. Do you have any idea what it's like to sit in a car that long with 2 kids in full gear? The coach for my one son's team came over and said, "Practice is off, see ya Saturday" at 6:15. The other one (who thinks you can't get struck by lightning because you're a football player) made me wait another 20 minutes. I finally just told him, "Look, these storms are rotating around, they aren't leaving, but I am. If you want to sit out here and walk around, fine. Now you've got kids running around, in the rain, while the lightning is flashing all over. BAD EXAMPLE, COACH."
He finally cancelled it.
It's still storming. We must have gotten 3" of rain. Just what we needed. Sheesh.

--------------------

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | >> (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 157 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  MikeC, Ed Dunham, danielw 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating: *****
Topic views: 41028

Rate this topic

Jump to

Note: This is NOT an official page. It is run by weather hobbyists and should not be used as a replacement for official sources. 
CFHC's main servers are currently located at
Hostdime.com in Orlando, FL.
Image Server Network thanks to Mike Potts and Amazon Web Services. If you have static file hosting space that allows dns aliasing contact us to help out! Some Maps Provided by:
Great thanks to all who donated and everyone who uses the site as well. Site designed for 800x600+ resolution
When in doubt, take the word of the National Hurricane Center