F
Current Radar or Satellite Image

Flhurricane.com - Central Florida Hurricane Center - Tracking Storms since 1995Hurricanes Without the Hype! Since 1995

Chill falls over the Atlantic as the official season heads towards close
Days since last H. Landfall - US: Any 211 (Idalia) , Major: 211 (Idalia) Florida - Any: 211 (Idalia) Major: 211 (Idalia)
None
COMMUNICATION
STORM DATA
CONTENT
FOLLOW US
ADS
Login to remove ads

News Talkback >> 2004 News Talkbacks

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | >> (show all)
Justin in Miami
Storm Tracker

Reged: Thu
Loc: Ft. Lauderdale, Florida
Re: Falling apart alla Frances??? [Re: Colleen A.]
      #24725 - Fri Sep 10 2004 09:31 AM

Colleen that FOX News Hurricane Alert is too much....i guess that fits well with their Terror Alert....Earthquake Alert....Liberal Alert...oh whoops...let's not go there. lol j/k

Honestly, I can't see this storm going over the Charley victims...I almost want to say bring it here to me...at least I have a solid roof to fight the storm! What a year indeed!

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
BeachBum
Weather Watcher

Reged: Tue
Loc: The Space Coast
Re: Evacuation [Re: BeachBum]
      #24726 - Fri Sep 10 2004 09:34 AM

While I took a crack at where before, WHEN may be more important. If you think evacuation is advisable, you should leave well before it becomes mandatory. If not, you will likely be in an Interstate parking lot.

Also helpful will be alternate routes. Locally, both I-95 and the Beeline (route between Orlando and beaches) were overloaded. By avoiding them, I was able to easily get past Orlando.

Finally, there is no guaranteed safe place. However, from Columbia (or another temporary haven) you can always head in a diiferent direction if the forecast warrants.

--------------------
From Brevard's Barrier Island
28°08'56"N; 80°35'11"W

Ed in Va
Weather Master

Reged: Fri
Loc:
Re: Evacuation [Re: BeachBum]
      #24727 - Fri Sep 10 2004 09:37 AM

As I look at the wather vapor loop, I wonder what the impact will be of the front/line of storm along the SE coast. Looks like Ivan could get caught up in that and go east of FL. Any thoughts?
http://www.ssd.noaa.gov/PS/TROP/DATA/RT/watl-wv-loop.html

--------------------
Survived Carol and Edna '54 in Maine. Guess this kind of dates me!

Terra
Storm Tracker

Loc: Kingwood, Texas
Re: Evacuation [Re: Ed in Va]
      #24729 - Fri Sep 10 2004 09:42 AM

I still wonder about the approaching ridge from the east. Yesterday someone commented that it would be a race.... and it looks like the ridge is winning to me. Shouldn't that send the storm more into the GOM and west of the forecast track?

--------------------
Terra Dassau Cahill

Mozart
Unregistered

Re: Hurricane Ivan Paths [Re: Unregistered User]
      #24730 - Fri Sep 10 2004 09:42 AM

Just a quick thank you to everyone here for all the information you provide. I've followed canes since Hugo destroyed half the house I was in 15 years ago, but have learned more about how canes work in the past few weeks on here than in the previous 15 yeras.

I live in Greenville, SC, and can say that while Greenville is considered to be very flood prone, it's mostly due to the geographical formation of the area. Alot of hills and mountains produce a number of low lying areas that tend to flood very easily because all the water is rushing there off the hills. The recent flooding in Asheville was considered widespread by the news media, but was really confined to a tight geographical area which all of the locals knew to avoid. If flooding is a reason to avoid Asheville or Greenville, I wouldn't worry about it. Just get a map, and avoid areas around the Reedy and French Broad Rivers, and you should be fine.

As for evacuating to Greenville, if you're new to Charleston you may want to ask some of the locals down there about the evac that took place a few years ago (Floyd). It took my cousin 20 hours to drive up here that day, and all of the hotels would be full.

That being said, I doubt if you'll have to evacuate for this one anyway.

Mozart

Cocoa Beach
Unregistered

Eye Problems?? [Re: MikeC]
      #24731 - Fri Sep 10 2004 09:42 AM

Is the storm suffering shear to the North?, and what happened to the eye?

http://www.ssd.noaa.gov/PS/TROP/DATA/RT/watl-wv-loop.html

BillD
User

Reged: Wed
Loc: Miami
Re: Evacuation [Re: Ed in Va]
      #24732 - Fri Sep 10 2004 09:46 AM

That is what will likely pull Ivan NE at some point, it is the when and how much that is still an unknown. But looking at that same WV loop, you can see the ridge pushing down (the dry air) and moving west, this is what is holding Ivan down, as the ridge weakens and backs off, or Ivan runs past the end of it, Ivan will begin to turn around to the NW then North and eventually NE. Almost all the models predict this, but they differ on when it will happen.

Bill

Colleen A.

Reged: Sat
Loc: Florida
Re: Falling apart alla Frances??? & Richard [Re: Justin in Miami]
      #24733 - Fri Sep 10 2004 09:53 AM

LOL...I'm still awaiting a FOX NEWS ALERT to let us all know that the President sneezed in the Oval Office while shaking hands with the Prime Minister of Kumbaya. Then we will have to go into a long drawn-out discussion of whether or not he has SARS.
(sorry mods...need a little humor here to take the edge off frayed nerves).
Maybe if they keep hyping it will make a beeline for Mexico. We can dream.

If the loops they're showing on FNC are current, then Ivan appears to be better organized. I haven't looked yet, so I don't know if they are current or not. If they are, then it was a short period of disorganization. If not, then they should stop showing it.
Richard - thanks.

Be careful with the cable news networks, MSNBC kept showing outdated graphics for 2 days with Frances. FOX tends to keep in line with the NHC.

--------------------
You know you're a hurricane freak when you wake up in the morning and hit "REFRESH" on CFHC instead of the Snooze Button.

Edited by Storm Cooper (Fri Sep 10 2004 11:23 AM)

AgentB
Weather Guru

Loc: Winter Park, FL
Re: Eye Problems?? [Re: Cocoa Beach]
      #24734 - Fri Sep 10 2004 09:57 AM

On the WV loop you can see the high to the west of Florida and the high to the east of Florida that's building in over the Bahamas. Unfortunately you can see the trough currently right over Florida. This is the "alley" that Ivan will eventually take. If the high builds to the west further Ivan gets forced more into the GOM. High recedes back to the east and Ivan makes the north turn early and stays off the coast of Florida. The two highs stay where they are and Ivan tracks up the state, either along one of the two coasts or up the middle.

--------------------
Check the Surf

Ed in Va
Weather Master

Loc:
Re: Eye Problems?? [Re: AgentB]
      #24735 - Fri Sep 10 2004 10:02 AM

Thanks BillD and AgentB...I see what you mean. It looks at this point, then, that the high is winning and and the ridge is retreating or breaking down.??

--------------------

Colleen A.

WV Loops [Re: Ed in Va]
      #24736 - Fri Sep 10 2004 10:03 AM

That is interesting...maybe that's what causing the disruption in the storm.

BillD. has a good point, too. When and where. The $60 million question.

Uh...that would be the $60 BILLION question.

--------------------
You know you're a hurricane freak when you wake up in the morning and hit "REFRESH" on CFHC instead of the Snooze Button.

Edited by LI Phil (Fri Sep 10 2004 10:36 AM)

WXMAN RICHIE
Weather Master

Reged: Mon
Loc: Boynton Beach, FL
RADAR??? [Re: Colleen A.]
      #24737 - Fri Sep 10 2004 10:07 AM

The weather channel mentioned looking at the radar for Jamaica, but never showed it. Does anyone know if there is a radar link somewhere to Jamaica?

--------------------
Another typical August:
Hurricane activity is increasing and the Red Sox are choking.

Live weather from my backyard:
http://www.wunderground.com/weatherstation/WXDailyHistory.asp?ID=KFLBOYNT4

Ed in Va
Weather Master

Loc:
Re: RADAR??? [Re: WXMAN RICHIE]
      #24738 - Fri Sep 10 2004 10:09 AM

There is a radio station in Jamaica live on the net, but I haven't been able to get in. FYI:Jamaicagleaner.com.

I think they have maxd out with their connections.

--------------------

Hurric
Weather Guru

Reged: Thu
Loc: Port St. Lucie, Fl
Re: Hurricane Ivan Paths [Re: MikeC]
      #24739 - Fri Sep 10 2004 10:13 AM

Hi first post since Frances, We got hit hard here in Port st Lucie and all of treasure coast. Was a wild ride. on a borrowed computer day 6 without power. Response by FPL and FEMA seems slow.
Trying to recover and prepare for posible Ivan. Not to sound alarmist but state emergency resonse is stretched really thin. I feel If Ivan has a significant impact that it will be very bad for everyone in state. Please prepare now and load even more supplies than you might normally.
Sewage problems a big concern here.
I saw in my not really experienced view winds gusting to around 115-125. Lasted a long time . Tropical storm wind gust lasted more than 36 hours. Barometer at my house ,took a lowest reading of 28.39inches think maybe calibration a tad on low side for my gauge.
Well got to go. It Is really tough trying to prepare for Ivan while still in middle of a disaster area.
My thoughts go out to all on board- so good to see it up and running.
Sorry for rambling post, not going to proof it at all . good luck
Hurric

Lake Toho - Kissimmee
Storm Tracker

Loc: Kissimmee, Florida on Lake Toh...
Re: Hurricane Ivan Paths [Re: Hurric]
      #24740 - Fri Sep 10 2004 10:17 AM

Just a comment on Electricity.. It takes a while to get it back.. During Andrew I had no power for almost a month, and during Charlie 12 days. So it can take time. Its like I always say, hurricanes are a rush, but cleanup and the aftermath is a bummer.

--------------------
Dream like you will live forever.. Live like there is no tommorow.. Darwin Rules !!

Bev
Weather Guru

Loc: Port Charlotte, FL and Abaco, ...
Re: WV Loops [Re: Colleen A.]
      #24741 - Fri Sep 10 2004 10:19 AM

Quote:

That is interesting...maybe that's what causing the disruption in the storm.

BillD. has a good point, too. When and where. The $60 million question.

If the course holds true and Venice through Tampa take a direct hit, it might be the $60 BILLION question. :-(

-Bev

Lake Toho - Kissimmee
Storm Tracker

Loc: Kissimmee, Florida on Lake Toh...
Jamaica Radio Station [Re: Lake Toho - Kissimmee]
      #24742 - Fri Sep 10 2004 10:19 AM

Here is a link to a Jamaican Radio Station http://www.go-jamaica.com/power/

--------------------
Dream like you will live forever.. Live like there is no tommorow.. Darwin Rules !!

WXMAN RICHIE
Weather Master

Reged: Mon
Loc: Boynton Beach, FL
JAMAICA [Re: Lake Toho - Kissimmee]
      #24743 - Fri Sep 10 2004 10:23 AM

I found what we all will be looking for:

Jamaican Met Service
http://www.metservice.gov.jm/

Jamaican Radar
http://www.metservice.gov.jm/documents/cmax-240-4.gif

--------------------
Another typical August:
Hurricane activity is increasing and the Red Sox are choking.

Live weather from my backyard:
http://www.wunderground.com/weatherstation/WXDailyHistory.asp?ID=KFLBOYNT4

Colleen A.

Re: RADAR??? [Re: WXMAN RICHIE]
      #24744 - Fri Sep 10 2004 10:30 AM

Looks like Ivan is getting his act back together, looking at this loop:

Latest Goes Floater IR Loop

Also still looks like he's heading in a WNW direction, making a beeline for either western or mid-western part of Jamaica. If the organization keep up, it looks like the storm could be getting broader in size, as it looks like the bands are trying to wrap around all sides of the center. I think.

--------------------

Colleen A.

Hurric [Re: Hurric]
      #24745 - Fri Sep 10 2004 10:32 AM

Glad to hear from you! I'm so glad you're okay. Prayers are with you from here.

--------------------

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | >> (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 206 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  MikeC, Ed Dunham, danielw 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating: *****
Topic views: 48824

Rate this topic

Jump to

Note: This is NOT an official page. It is run by weather hobbyists and should not be used as a replacement for official sources. 
CFHC's main servers are currently located at
Hostdime.com in Orlando, FL.
Image Server Network thanks to Mike Potts and Amazon Web Services. If you have static file hosting space that allows dns aliasing contact us to help out! Some Maps Provided by:
Great thanks to all who donated and everyone who uses the site as well. Site designed for 800x600+ resolution
When in doubt, take the word of the National Hurricane Center