F
Current Radar or Satellite Image

Flhurricane.com - Central Florida Hurricane Center - Tracking Storms since 1995Hurricanes Without the Hype! Since 1995

Chill falls over the Atlantic as the official season heads towards close
Days since last H. Landfall - US: Any 233 (Idalia) , Major: 233 (Idalia) Florida - Any: 233 (Idalia) Major: 233 (Idalia)
None
COMMUNICATION
STORM DATA
CONTENT
FOLLOW US
ADS
Login to remove ads

News Talkback >> 2004 News Talkbacks

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | >> (show all)
MrSpock
Storm Tracker

Reged: Wed
Re: Hail? [Re: LI Phil]
      #24989 - Fri Sep 10 2004 05:08 PM

I could be wrong, but I don't remember hail being associated with the tornadoes directly associated with the landfalling hurricanes. Maybe a met could chime in.

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
LI Phil
User

Reged: Fri
Loc: Long Island (40.7N 73.6W)
Re: Hail? [Re: MrSpock]
      #24991 - Fri Sep 10 2004 05:10 PM

I got this snipped from the Internet...so it must be true :

If a hurricane threatens, evacuate if told to do so, they produce flooding, lightning, tornadoes, hail, severe storms and high winds.

--------------------
2005 Forecast: 14/7/4

BUCKLE UP!

"If your topic ain't tropic, your post will be toast"

Terra
Storm Tracker

Reged: Tue
Loc: Kingwood, Texas
Re: Hurricane Ivan to Melee with Jamaica [Re: MrSpock]
      #24992 - Fri Sep 10 2004 05:11 PM

I'm thinking big storms don't make real turns that fast.... It has to be a jog....

--------------------
Terra Dassau Cahill

rule
Weather Guru

Reged: Thu
Loc: Ocala, Florida
      #24993 - Fri Sep 10 2004 05:13 PM

Wow, I feel so much better!

wxman007
Meteorologist

Reged: Sat
Loc: Tuscaloosa, AL
      #24994 - Fri Sep 10 2004 05:13 PM

Not exactly Phil...

Tornadoes are formed from thunderstorms which ALSO form hail., but tornadoes don't form hail...one doesn't cause the other, but are results of the same parent...

Tropical cyclones are, by defination, warm core, which means that the center of the storm in the mid-levels is warmer than the surrounding atmosphere. Hail forms from strong updrafts that carry liquid water above the freezing level. In a tropical cyclone, the updrafts are very different, and the liquid water rarely makes it to the freezing level because it is so much higher than in a regular thunderstorm.

Make sense?

--------------------
Jason Kelley

Edited by wxman007 (Fri Sep 10 2004 05:14 PM)

SoonerShawn
Unregistered

Ivan [Re: MrSpock]
      #24995 - Fri Sep 10 2004 05:14 PM

I posted on the last thread before I was aware of this new one but in it I said that looking at the WV loops and thought there might be a chance that Ivan could go more on a northerly track and miss Florida to the east. I still think the upper low to the ne of him is having some sort of effect. I may have said something else in that post but I don't recall everything I said. It is on the old thread,though.

ShawnS

Shawn

Here's your post from the previous forum:

Again, I'm not that good at looking at the wv and telling what will effect these storms so bear with me but it looks like to me that Ivan may want to go on a more northerly track much sooner than expected and miss Florida altogether. Please correct me if I'm way off here, but please be nice...LOL!

ShawnS

Edited by LI Phil (Fri Sep 10 2004 05:18 PM)

LI Phil
User

Re: Hail? [Re: wxman007]
      #24996 - Fri Sep 10 2004 05:16 PM

But hurricanes can, in certain rare instances, form hail, correct?

--------------------

BUCKLE UP!

HanKFranK
User

Reged: Mon
Loc: Graniteville, SC
ivan/little else [Re: MrSpock]
      #24997 - Fri Sep 10 2004 05:17 PM

ivan should be making an impact on the gulf coast.. probably on tuesday. i've been hanging on a west florida hit below apalachicola.. going to narrow my window from st marks down to naples now. late tomorrow i'll be ready to draw an X.
with almost utter certainty that florida takes a hit on the gulf side, intensity is the big question remaining. latest IR shows a reorganizing inner core.. wouldn't be surprised if the storm goes back to borderline 5 as it impacts jamaica later. the official track has it grazing the southwest side of jamaica.. i'm expecting it to go onshore, with the capital seeing eyewall effects. right of the caymans as a 4, and a cuba crossing south of the florida keys..also as a 4, with the storm having turned nnw at that point. final impact on west florida should be a cat 2 or 3. the higher up the coast it hits, the weaker. kinda duh, since this is more or less the official, but i'm thinking the official is on the ball for now.
one thing not previously mentioned that troubles me greatly.. creeks and rivers are running high in much of florida, the southeast coastal plain, piedmont, and southern appalachians. with Ivan progged to move over the same area, decelerating and bending back to the left as ridging rebuilds.. tremendous flooding potential exists in Frances wake. the west coast of florida looks to take a hammer blow, but that likely won't be the end of the story.
elsewhere nothing exciting in the basin. weak low on a wave nearing the islands (14/58 or so).. some convection, but it's awfully close behind Ivan. low prob of development. wave midway between africa and the islands low-amplitude and indistinct. wave that left the coast yesterday with some amplitude and gyration near the cape verde islands.. not very perky at this point.
td 10 remnants south of the azores drifting SE.. SSTs low and shear not good at this point, but it still has a comma-shaped convective signature sheared east.. and the upper environment should revert to ridging in a day or two.. don't expect anything though.
the complex upper trough/low arrangement in the central atlantic may beget a surface system, but too confused at this point to make any reasonable guesses. it has entrained lots of tropical energy, and plenty of low level convergence there.. just hasn't evolved to where it can spawn anything.
td 13e in the eastpac has another development counter going in the atlantic. may see another storm or two next week. peak of the season now.
HF 2115z10september

SoonerShawn
Unregistered

By the way... [Re: SoonerShawn]
      #24998 - Fri Sep 10 2004 05:17 PM

it must have been a jog because it has already jumped back to the west some,again.

ShawnS

Lake Toho - Kissimmee
Storm Tracker

Reged: Tue
Loc: Kissimmee, Florida on Lake Toh...
Kingston Call [Re: LI Phil]
      #24999 - Fri Sep 10 2004 05:18 PM

Just spoke to Kingston, they lost power about an hour ago.. Winds are very strong, heavy rain and getting worse..

--------------------
Dream like you will live forever.. Live like there is no tommorow.. Darwin Rules !!

ShaggyDude
Weather Guru

Loc: Cocoa Beach, Florida
Re: Hurricane Ivan to Melee with Jamaica [Re: rule]
      #25000 - Fri Sep 10 2004 05:18 PM

It's highly improbable that it will miss Jamaica to the east. Looking at multiple loops, this northly bounce comes right after a fairly lengthly westerly jog. Hurricanes just do that. Go figure, huh?

http://www.ssd.noaa.gov/PS/TROP/DATA/RT/float-vis-loop.html

SkeetoBiteAdministrator
Master of Maps

Reged: Sun
Loc: Lakeland, FL
Maps [Re: MikeC]
      #25001 - Fri Sep 10 2004 05:20 PM

Full size images available at Skeetobite.com

LI Phil
User

Re: ivan/little else [Re: HanKFranK]
      #25002 - Fri Sep 10 2004 05:22 PM

Gonna stick with my crow munching forecast...

In at Naples, Tuesday afternoon, CAT III...out at the Cape, Wednesday afternoon, CAT I. Onward to Hattaras...weak CAT II Thursday evening.

--------------------

BUCKLE UP!

wxman007
Meteorologist

Loc: Tuscaloosa, AL
      #25003 - Fri Sep 10 2004 05:22 PM

Yes, but it is exceedingly rare, and almost exclusively happens after the hurricane makes landfall, or is generally aloft and never makes it down to the surface...I have never heard of hurricanes producing hail at the surface in the tropics or Florida (doesn't mean it hasn't happened, but I haven't heard of it).

--------------------
Jason Kelley

MrSpock
Storm Tracker

Reged: Wed
Re: Ivan [Re: SoonerShawn]
      #25004 - Fri Sep 10 2004 05:23 PM

Shawn, that wasn't me......
I am not hard to recognize, i am the one with the pointy ears!

Colleen A.

Loc: Florida
Re: Hail? & ? for Jason [Re: MrSpock]
      #25006 - Fri Sep 10 2004 05:24 PM

I believe the other night when they found the 160-165mph there were reports of hail and lightning.

FWIW, the mets here are saying what's keeping the westward track IS the FSU ensemble track, which he said started last night. One said if the trend is still to the west tonight, we'll probably see them shift the track more westward at 11.

Which really isn't all that surprising, given the fact that they have been stressing THE CONE for days now.

Anyone in the Orland/Tampa Area that can get Channel 9 (Channel 20 in Polk County/Lakeland Area) this might interest you: Tom Terry is going to go over ALL the models so we can (hopefully) get a better idea as to why they're thinking what they're thinking.

Jason, does the FSU ensemble normally do a better job than all the other models? Is that why they rely on it so heavily?

--------------------
You know you're a hurricane freak when you wake up in the morning and hit "REFRESH" on CFHC instead of the Snooze Button.

ShaggyDude
Weather Guru

Re: Hail? & ? for Jason [Re: Colleen A.]
      #25007 - Fri Sep 10 2004 05:27 PM

Colleen - where did you hear that - was it with Ivan over Grenada?

Colleen A.

Loc: Florida
Re: Hail? & ? for Jason [Re: ShaggyDude]
      #25008 - Fri Sep 10 2004 05:30 PM

I heard it from Warren Madden on TWC the other night when they updated the winds to 160mph. The plane reported hail and lightning. I think that was Wednesday night around 1:45am.

--------------------
You know you're a hurricane freak when you wake up in the morning and hit "REFRESH" on CFHC instead of the Snooze Button.

TLHJeff
Unregistered

Re: Hurricane Ivan to Melee with Jamaica [Re: SoonerShawn]
      #25010 - Fri Sep 10 2004 05:32 PM

Actually they often do produce hail. However this is usually limited to the freezing level (about 10,000 feet) in the stronger convection and melts before it reaches the ground. Hurricane convection generally lacks the vertical instability to produce the really strong up/downdrafts conducive to large hail-most of the energy is horizontally stratified in the system's high winds. The recons have reported hail at flight level in several hurricanes this season. It seems to become more common as the systems move north and interact with continental air masses in their outer feeder bands.
Speaking of convection, I noted that the leading feeder band on the west side of Frances, as it moved offshore south of Tampa, suddenly started producing HUGE amounts of lightning over the Gulf, as opposed to few strikes over land. Interesting.

ShaggyDude
Weather Guru

Re: Hail? & ? for Jason [Re: Colleen A.]
      #25012 - Fri Sep 10 2004 05:34 PM

Allrighty then, thanks. I thought there were ground reports somewhere. Jason, or anybody who knows - is hail uncommon to the aircraft hunters or is it just a rare sea-level hurricane phenom?

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | >> (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 271 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  MikeC, Ed Dunham, danielw 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 26952

Rate this topic

Jump to

Note: This is NOT an official page. It is run by weather hobbyists and should not be used as a replacement for official sources. 
CFHC's main servers are currently located at
Hostdime.com in Orlando, FL.
Image Server Network thanks to Mike Potts and Amazon Web Services. If you have static file hosting space that allows dns aliasing contact us to help out! Some Maps Provided by:
Great thanks to all who donated and everyone who uses the site as well. Site designed for 800x600+ resolution
When in doubt, take the word of the National Hurricane Center