F
Current Radar or Satellite Image

Flhurricane.com - Central Florida Hurricane Center - Tracking Storms since 1995Hurricanes Without the Hype! Since 1995

Special Tropical Weather Outlook issued for area in the East-Central Atlantic, only with 10% chance for development, not expected to do much.
Days since last H. Landfall - US: Any 238 (Idalia) , Major: 238 (Idalia) Florida - Any: 238 (Idalia) Major: 238 (Idalia)

News Talkback >> 2004 News Talkbacks

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | >> (show all)
Bev
Weather Guru

Reged:
Loc: Port Charlotte, FL and Abaco, ...
Meteorology vs. Psychology [Re: DroopGB31]
      #25056 - Sat Sep 11 2004 12:07 AM

I'm certainly not a meteorologist but I know a fair bit about psychology. I've been wondering to myself if the Westward shift of the track had more to do with psychology than meteorology.

The NHC was blasted by some of the public for "Not Warning Us!" While the accusation was completely unfair, they had certainly stated time and again that there was an error of margin, stay on your toes, the storm could go anywhere in this range.

Nevertheless, the little dart showing the eye stayed right on Anna Maria Island for a very long time and people North and South watched the dart and became complacent.

I would not be surprised to see this track kept just off the coast until shortly before landfall. It keeps everyone on their toes instead of just a few of us.

I'm not saying it will or it won't hit in Tampa, I don't think anyone can say that until about an hour before it lands. But by keeping the dart from getting stuck in one point, the NHC keeps all the Gulf Coast and Panhandle on their toes. As it should!

Just my thoughts...
-Bev

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Heather
Weather Hobbyist

Reged:
Loc: Sebring, FL
Re: Meteorology vs. Psychology [Re: Bev]
      #25057 - Sat Sep 11 2004 12:10 AM

That's exactly what I'm thinking. Would be nice if it took a long ride and the Gulf and then fizzled out, though.

--------------------
When it rains, it pours...

danielwAdministrator

Reged:
Loc: Hattiesburg,MS (31.3N 89.3W)
      #25058 - Sat Sep 11 2004 12:12 AM

They are arguing among themselves on the fcst tracks. Read this from the 4pm discussion.
...AS THE RIDGE WEAKENS...AND A TROUGH DEVELOPS IN THE GULF OF MEXICO...THE HURRICANE WILL LIKELY TURN MORE TO THE NORTHWEST WITH A DECREASE IN FORWARD SPEED. THE FORECAST REMAINS UNCERTAIN AFTER THE HURRICANE CROSSES CUBA. HOWEVER...MODELS ARE BECOMING IN BETTER AGREEMENT ON A TRACK ACROSS THE EASTERN GULF OF MEXICO. ALTHOUGH THE OFFICIAL FORECAST COULD HAVE BEEN SHIFTED A LITTLE WESTWARD DUE TO THE NEW GUIDANCE...IT IS NOT PRUDENT TO MAKE A CHANGE AT THIS TIME. THE OFFICIAL FORECAST IS NOW BASICALLY TO THE RIGHT OF THE GUIDANCE ENVELOPE...AND KEEPS THE HURRICANE ON A NORTHWARD TRACK VERY CLOSE TO THE FLORIDA WEST COAST.
edited to avoid confusion-danny

Edited by danielw (Sat Sep 11 2004 12:22 AM)

BillD
User

Reged:
Loc: Miami
      #25059 - Sat Sep 11 2004 12:14 AM

I would agree that there is a good possiblity that keeping the track a little to the right was to keep people on their toes. But there are probably other reasons as well. One is that the models are still flucuating back and forth to some degree, and they don't all agree. There is also the fact that the FSU SENS and the GFDL did very well with Charley and Frances. The GFDL we can see, the FSU model we can't. There are other models that are not publicly available either. So don't discount that they have sources of information we do not. But I've been saying it now for several days, I really think they are not sure where it is going to go and are not going to commit to any extreme, they can't.

Bill

MrSpock
Storm Tracker

Reged:
Re: Meteorology vs. Psychology [Re: BillD]
      #25060 - Sat Sep 11 2004 12:19 AM

It is my opinion that there is no need to alter a track to get attention, especially since everyone in Florida is watching and preparing anyway. The NHC in my opinion is above that, and their only concern is getting right as best as they can. The ramifications for anything other than that are too great.
Don't forget, there are models that are further east-the GFS has been persistantly east. On the sat pics I watch, I overlay the forecast position, and the actual track has been ever so slightly NE of forecast anyway.

LI Phil
User

Reged:
Loc: Long Island (40.7N 73.6W)
Re: Meteorology vs. Psychology [Re: MrSpock]
      #25061 - Sat Sep 11 2004 12:24 AM

Mr. Spock,

Kirk here. Agreed...don't think the NHC has any ulterior motives...why would they?

All in all your post was very logical, as one would expect from a half vulcan/half human.

Give my regards to Sarek.

--------------------
2005 Forecast: 14/7/4

BUCKLE UP!

"If your topic ain't tropic, your post will be toast"

Rasvar
Weather Master

Reged:
Loc: Tallahassee, Fl
Re: Meteorology vs. Psychology [Re: BillD]
      #25062 - Sat Sep 11 2004 12:27 AM

Not sure about saying the GFDL did very well. It spent a lot of time aiming Frances at South Carolina. However, I think it is more of an issue of trying to keep Tampa awake. Granted, everything is still in the area. Only thing that concerns me is that everyone here has a hypersenitivity to the track right now. I heard folks who live in Lakeland saying that they are glad it is going to miss them this afternoon after the track moved west. Truthfully, I think a little track uncertainty is better to keep people in tune.

However, going into the weekend, I also see the point of trying to keep Tampa from thinking they are safe and then getting caught off guard.

With all that said, I have no idea exactly what they are using to decide. There is a little sensitivity in Central Florida after the way Charley caught everyone off guard with his power. Plus, I see friction with the local stations and NHC in public. WFTV's Tom Terry already came on before the FSU vs Miami game and more or less said he disagrees with NHC's track. So, that will fuel the fires a bit around here.

MrSpock
Storm Tracker

Reged:
Re: Meteorology vs. Psychology [Re: LI Phil]
      #25063 - Sat Sep 11 2004 12:28 AM

Thank you, will do, and I have calculated that there is a 98.763584956043% chance it is legit.

Live Long and Prosper

ShaggyDude
Weather Guru

Reged:
Loc: Cocoa Beach, Florida
Re: Meteorology vs. Psychology [Re: LI Phil]
      #25064 - Sat Sep 11 2004 12:30 AM

Well, I just got a days worth of free Accuweather info on foxnews. JB was on there giving a little demo on the hurricane and his graphics, though no specifics; whatdaya expect anyways?

I don't know about you, but i was always more a Picard man than a Kirk guy...

Sorry Phil, couldn't resist. I guess I just ran out of gas (rim shot).

Edited by ShaggyDude (Sat Sep 11 2004 12:33 AM)

LI Phil
User

Reged:
Loc: Long Island (40.7N 73.6W)
Re: Meteorology vs. Psychology [Re: ShaggyDude]
      #25065 - Sat Sep 11 2004 12:32 AM

OK...it's my fault for bringing the whole thing up...but we need to stay on topic...no more Trek stuff...again it's my own damn fault but let's keep it on Ivan, not Picard now.

--------------------
2005 Forecast: 14/7/4

BUCKLE UP!

"If your topic ain't tropic, your post will be toast"

Wxwatcher2
Storm Tracker

Reged:
Loc:
      #25066 - Sat Sep 11 2004 12:32 AM

II'm watchin for a bit of a Northward jog which will move the track more East. Just a hunch on my part.
Poor Jamaica. Reports of looting and damage already coming in.

Live long and prosper........(how do you do that thing with your fingers?).......huh...!!

MrSpock
Storm Tracker

Reged:
      #25067 - Sat Sep 11 2004 12:36 AM

I have been trying to set up a duel between Picard and Kirk for a while. The hangup is they can't agree on the holodeck to be used.

Granted, the GFS has been woefully too far east for too long, but it has been persistent. Part of me is wary of trying to nail something down while this is going on. The GFS has performed well at times, and in fact, has been too far WEST other times. I do agree with Joe B. on one thing in particular: The Carolinas are in for another heavy rain event, and the GFS has been persistent in trapping it to some degree, or at least slowing it down.

(edited part) The GFS's performance I am referring to is definitely not the recent set of storms, but over the last couple of years. I think most forecasters take RECENT biases in effect, until they are no longer valid

Edited by MrSpock (Sat Sep 11 2004 12:38 AM)

ShaggyDude
Weather Guru

Reged:
Re: Meteorology vs. Psychology [Re: Wxwatcher2]
      #25068 - Sat Sep 11 2004 12:37 AM

Back to subject, Ivan is prepin' it's A game for Jamaica, satellites show it very organized. - Check the forecast points, and you'll see it's moving a little right of the forecast track.

RBL
Verified CFHC User

Reged:
Loc: Miami Fl
Last GFS 18 UTC [Re: Wxwatcher2]
      #25069 - Sat Sep 11 2004 12:38 AM

Good nigth every body, look the last GFS es more EAST.

http://www.nco.ncep.noaa.gov/pmb/nwprod/analysis/namer/gfs/18/index_fpc.shtml

SoonerShawn
Unregistered

Question [Re: MrSpock]
      #25071 - Sat Sep 11 2004 12:41 AM

Is there an itty bitty high pressure or vortex just to the nw of Ivan or does it just appear that way on the WV because of the way the clouds are moving?

http://www.ssd.noaa.gov/PS/TROP/DATA/RT/float-wv-loop.html

ShawnS

danielwAdministrator

Reged:
Loc: Hattiesburg,MS (31.3N 89.3W)
Re: And now back to Ivan [Re: RBL]
      #25072 - Sat Sep 11 2004 12:43 AM

Sorry I had to!
Latest GHCC loop seems to indicate a "left turn Ivan". Looks to be a near 90 degree turn toward the west from 2245 to 0015Z. Good and bad for Jamaica. They Do know how to deal with lawbreakers in Jamaica, and it's Not pretty!

ShaggyDude
Weather Guru

Reged:
Re: Last GFS 18 UTC [Re: RBL]
      #25073 - Sat Sep 11 2004 12:43 AM

Using the latest GFS info, Phil's crow-eating prediction is on target, though, it's just one model at one point in time against the FSU and NHC. I'm trying Phil, but we'll see. I'm with JB where it probably comes in around Tampa and most likely out the Jacksonville area and bad news later for the Carolinas.

StormHound
Weather Guru

Reged:
Loc: Orlando, FL
Re: Meteorology vs. Psychology [Re: Wxwatcher2]
      #25074 - Sat Sep 11 2004 12:43 AM

Quote:

II'm watchin for a bit of a Northward jog which will move the track more East. Just a hunch on my part.
Poor Jamaica.

Tom Terry started to go down this path (East track) during the 6pm newscast, then decided not to disagree with the NHC quite so blatantly. He stopped short and then just said, "I'll keep watching it closely."

--------------------
Storm Hound
Computer Geek

HCW
Storm Tracker

Reged:
Loc: Mobile,AL
Re: Question [Re: SoonerShawn]
      #25075 - Sat Sep 11 2004 12:44 AM

is 926mb still the latest recon ?

--------------------
Over 4,000 members and now on a new server

http://www.hardcoreweather.com

MrSpock
Storm Tracker

Reged:
Re: Question [Re: SoonerShawn]
      #25076 - Sat Sep 11 2004 12:45 AM

I am not sure if I see what you do, but wow, did that CDO and eyewall come back or what? I hadn't seen a photo in an hour or 2, and it certainly got its western flank back.

In the interest of not being a post hog, I'll edit this to respond to the above post. The map that shows the model's forecast tracks is showing 2 of 5 going back out over the Atlantic, 1 being close, and 2 near Tampa. If I were to build the consensus, I would say 5 of 6 are from Tampa eastward. Granted, there are other models, but I am sure this is the uncertainty the NHC is looking at as well.

Edited by MrSpock (Sat Sep 11 2004 12:48 AM)

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | >> (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 202 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 26782

Rate this topic

Jump to

Note: This is NOT an official page. It is run by weather hobbyists and should not be used as a replacement for official sources. 
CFHC's main servers are currently located at
Hostdime.com in Orlando, FL.
Image Server Network thanks to Mike Potts and Amazon Web Services. If you have static file hosting space that allows dns aliasing contact us to help out! Some Maps Provided by:
Great thanks to all who donated and everyone who uses the site as well. Site designed for 800x600+ resolution
When in doubt, take the word of the National Hurricane Center