F
Current Radar or Satellite Image

Flhurricane.com - Central Florida Hurricane Center - Tracking Storms since 1995Hurricanes Without the Hype! Since 1995

Special Tropical Weather Outlook issued for area in the East-Central Atlantic, only with 10% chance for development, not expected to do much.
Days since last H. Landfall - US: Any 238 (Idalia) , Major: 238 (Idalia) Florida - Any: 238 (Idalia) Major: 238 (Idalia)

News Talkback >> 2004 News Talkbacks

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | >> (show all)
GuppieGrouper
Weather Master

Reged:
Loc: Polk County, Florida
Re: Ivan Update (Jeanne) [Re: Unregistered User]
      #28192 - Thu Sep 16 2004 09:46 AM

I hope he will change his mind and make this a thunderstorm instead.........:)

OBVIOUSLY...IT IS CLOSE TO HURRICANE INTENSITY BUT IS ABOUT TO
INTERACT WITH THE COASTLINE OF THE DOMINICAN REPUBLIC.
THEREFORE...I AM GOING TO KEEP IT AT 60 KTS DURING THIS INTERACTION
AND MAKE IT A HURRICANE WHEN IT MOVES AWAY FROM LAND IN ABOUT 24
HOURS. FORECASTER JARVINEN

--------------------
God commands. Laymen guess. Scientists record.

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
LadyStorm
Weather Guru

Reged:
Loc: United States
Re: Ivan Update (Jeanne) [Re: GuppieGrouper]
      #28195 - Thu Sep 16 2004 10:03 AM

A lot of folks I have spoken to here in Florida, have dismissed Jeanne from strike us. I at first thought she was going to be a fish spinner, but am rethinking my theory. I think we here in Florida are just in the denial stage of thinking. We have been through so much this year.

One model of Jeanne has her going into the southeastern tip of Florida then to the Yuccatan, and back around for a second strike in Florida. Don't even want to think about that one.

Hope all who are enduring Ivan will be safe.

MaryAnn

Quote:

I hope he will change his mind and make this a thunderstorm instead.........:)

--------------------
"The significant problems we face cannot be solved at the same level of
thinking we were at when we created them"

..........Albert Einstein

GuppieGrouper
Weather Master

Reged:
Re: Ivan Update (Jeanne) [Re: LadyStorm]
      #28196 - Thu Sep 16 2004 10:10 AM

Its not so much denial as it is numbness. After Charley and Frances and watching Ivan, it is hard to imagine another hurricane could even spin up, it is so relative. A CAT V is a unique experience to the senses and everything else looks less consequential. Of course this is erroneus thinking because a tropical storm can wreak havoc with tornadoes and flooding. Its almost like no one has any adrenalin left to be excited with. We see it coming but can not react any more. I am ready with the supplies etc. I will be alert, but if it comes-oh well.

--------------------

rmbjoe1954
Weather Master

Reged:
Loc: Port Saint Lucie, Florida, USA
Jeanne- Back In Her Bottle [Re: GuppieGrouper]
      #28197 - Thu Sep 16 2004 10:20 AM

I hope the waters have cooled a bit in the wake of Frances and Ivan- nevertheless, Ivan can still play a role by influencing the strong ridge projected to be over Jeanne- then put her back in her bottle and race her N than NE to the fishies; I dream of Jeanne with the light warm winds- to get the heck away from Florida!

--------------------
________2023 Forecast: 20/10/5________

There is little chance that meteorologists can solve the mysteries of weather until they gain an understanding of the mutual attraction of rain and weekends. ~Arnot Sheppard

OrlandoDan
Weather Master

Reged:
Loc: Longwood, FL
Re: Jeanne- Back In Her Bottle [Re: rmbjoe1954]
      #28198 - Thu Sep 16 2004 10:27 AM

Does anyone have statistics, or even a graphical representation, of how the models performed with Charley, Frances, and Ivan? I would like to know in order to "guess" where Jeanne is going.

Cane Watcher
Verified CFHC User

Reged:
Loc: ATL/ via Melbourne
Re: Jeanne- Back In Her Bottle [Re: OrlandoDan]
      #28199 - Thu Sep 16 2004 10:44 AM

with most of the models ( boatus.com spaghetti run) and NHC pointed toward a northward curve for Jeanne, where is the Florida strike talk coming from.

rmbjoe1954
Weather Master

Reged:
Loc: Port Saint Lucie, Florida, USA
Re: Jeanne- Back In Her Bottle [Re: Cane Watcher]
      #28200 - Thu Sep 16 2004 10:54 AM

I guess that the 5AM NHC discussion talked about the ridge to the north of Jeanne that is forecasted to influence a westerly track thereby causing a westward bias in its direction; it is hoped that a weakened ridge would cause a northerly course which is what the models are indicating now-and take it out ot sea-or to the Carolinas. The more west the greater the threat for a Florida interaction; direct or indirect.

--------------------
________2023 Forecast: 20/10/5________

There is little chance that meteorologists can solve the mysteries of weather until they gain an understanding of the mutual attraction of rain and weekends. ~Arnot Sheppard

GuppieGrouper
Weather Master

Reged:
      #28201 - Thu Sep 16 2004 11:04 AM

I have been looking at Jeanne this morning and she looks to be interacting with Hispanola which will take quite a lot of fight out of her. I guess the energy core could spin up again but those mountains would do in a lot stronger storm than Jeanne is.

--------------------

Wxwatcher2
Storm Tracker

Reged:
Loc:
      #28202 - Thu Sep 16 2004 11:05 AM

A couple of the models bring it NW along the coast of East Florida. then inland near Georgia.

You know, it's too early to tell.
This is one of the things you have to endure when you live in Florida. This season has been so active that as others have said we are all weary and shell shocked.

Thoughts and prayers go out to those affected by Ivan, a deadly hurricane now in Alabama.

leetdan
Weather Guru

Reged:
Loc: Osceola County
Re: Jeanne- Back In Her Bottle [Re: Wxwatcher2]
      #28203 - Thu Sep 16 2004 11:13 AM

Ther is some good news though, it did end up dropping to a 3 before making landfall

Still a very dangerous storm of course, but it could've been that much worse.

--------------------
[witty phrase here]

Wxwatcher2
Storm Tracker

Reged:
Loc:
Re: Jeanne- Back In Her Bottle [Re: leetdan]
      #28204 - Thu Sep 16 2004 11:22 AM

Daylight will tell how much damage has been done to the coastal areas.
The mayor of Mobile says that there is no "major" damage to Mobile.

LONNY307
Unregistered

Re: Jeanne's a Hurricane [Re: Wxwatcher2]
      #28206 - Thu Sep 16 2004 11:56 AM

http://www.nhc.noaa.gov/text/refresh/MIATCPAT1+shtml/161133.shtml?

Keith234
Storm Chaser

Reged:
Loc: 40.7N/73.3W Long Island
Re: Jeanne's a Hurricane [Re: LONNY307]
      #28207 - Thu Sep 16 2004 12:02 PM

It's starting to leave Puerto Rico radar. You can still see that intense feeder band, this hurricane is going to be something. It just fought Puerto Rico and now's it a hurricane, watch out from Florida to Cape Hatteras. I afraid this could be a mid-atlantic storm but this is the same mistake that they made with Frances.

--------------------
"I became insane with horrible periods of sanity"
Edgar Allan Poe

Wxwatcher2
Storm Tracker

Reged:
Loc:
Re: Jeanne's a Hurricane [Re: Keith234]
      #28208 - Thu Sep 16 2004 12:16 PM

Happy Birthday Jeanne,
Hope you like fish.

BillD
User

Reged:
Loc: Miami
Re: Jeanne- Back In Her Bottle [Re: Cane Watcher]
      #28209 - Thu Sep 16 2004 12:32 PM

South Florida is square in the middle of the "cone". If you have been reading the NHC discussions over the last day or so, the models are not all in agreement and have been changing every run. Yesterday it was the GFDL that had Jeanne coming right through Miami. Now it is further to the right, but the 00Z run had Jeanne skimming along the East Florida coast from Miami to Jacksonville. The 00Z of the GFS was east, the 06Z has Jeanne going North of the Bahamas and then coming back SW across South Florida. Also yesterday the FSU SENS was to the left of the NHC track (according to the NHC). It is still too early to tell exactly what will happen. And although I am not a big JB fan, JB is calling for a Florida Straits path. It will all have to do with Ivan's influence on the ridge.

Bill

FireAng85
Weather Hobbyist

Reged:
Loc: Mount Dora, FL 32757
      #28210 - Thu Sep 16 2004 12:32 PM

My thoughts and prayers are with all of you in Ivan's path. Now that the sun is rising, maybe we can really see what hell he laid upon those in the area.
Help is on the way though! Orange County is taking my brand new Rescue truck up to Pensacola. So, those of you in the Pensacola area, if you see an Orange County Fire Rescue truck with a big number 85 on it, that's mine! Wave at those guys. They are Orange County's Finest coming to offer help! I wish I could be there, but I have small children that need me home.
Now, about Jeanne.......... Why the huge difference in the computer models and the projected path that shows on Accuweather? I like the NHC track, but I am aware that it will change several times before Sunday or Monday. What is everyone's opinion? I'm not worried........... Why is that? My husband and I were talking about post taumatic stress yesterday. I truly beleive that I am suffering from it. Charlie was very stressful at work and I was at home for Frances to ride it out, but my supervisors, in their infinite wisdom, decided to call us in at 7:30 that night! It was wicked and by the time I navigated the trees and powerlines to get to work, I was having heart palpitations from the stress. I have been very drepressed since then and I know alot of Floridians feel like me. I am just numb too.............
If Jeanne comes, oh well. Bring It!

--------------------
Angie Robertson
OCFRD
"So others may live"

Kdubs
Weather Watcher

Reged:
Loc: Orlando, FL
I am tired [Re: Ed Dunham]
      #28211 - Thu Sep 16 2004 12:34 PM

I don't know about all of you, but I know I speak for many when I say - I am tired. This has me worn out, all these hurricanes. We have company flying on Friday in from Germany to stay with us for 3 weeks, so yesterday, we took down all the plywood off the house. After spending a week cleaning up from Charley here in Orlando, I went to help clean up my grandmother's property in Sorrento (near Sanford). It all gets to you after a while, especially the emotional stress of it all.
And now... I'm in (insert dramatic music here) the DREADED CONE OF JEANNE. Can't I get a breath of fresh air?

But since I know the answer to that is no, and I'm done venting, I was wondering if any of the regulars to this board who make comprehensive forecasts (i.e. Clark, scott, etc) could tell us their current thoughts on Jeanne and it's potential track. It appears its gonna become another doozie.

Thanks

--------------------
South Orlando
God Bless
A B C D E F G H I J K L
Bold = Reached hurricane status
Italics = Impacted Florida

Steve hirschb.
Unregistered

#28212 - Thu Sep 16 2004 12:35 PM

Jeanne is not going to be a fish, but if she stays on her current track, she'll be a dead duck! She may continue to head into the island (not good for the folks there) and be torn up by the mountains. She is currently heading at 265/270. That may be the saving grace for the SE US, but terrible news for Hispaniola. I would take a hit if it were to spare thousands of lives on that island. But that's not in our control

FireAng85
Weather Hobbyist

Reged:
Loc: Mount Dora, FL 32757
Re: I am tired [Re: Kdubs]
      #28213 - Thu Sep 16 2004 12:41 PM

Hey Ed, I live in Sorrento too! Where does your Grandmother live?

--------------------
Angie Robertson
OCFRD
"So others may live"

Kdubs
Weather Watcher

Reged:
Loc: Orlando, FL
Re: I am tired [Re: FireAng85]
      #28214 - Thu Sep 16 2004 12:45 PM

Quote:

Hey Ed, I live in Sorrento too! Where does your Grandmother live?

Actually, my name is Kyle, I was replying to Ed. But that's okay, no prob there.

My grandmother lives on Wacassa Trail, off of Wekiva River Road, off of SR46. House is for sale, if anyone out there is interested.

--------------------
South Orlando
God Bless
A B C D E F G H I J K L
Bold = Reached hurricane status
Italics = Impacted Florida

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | >> (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 203 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating: *****
Topic views: 32104

Rate this topic

Jump to

Note: This is NOT an official page. It is run by weather hobbyists and should not be used as a replacement for official sources. 
CFHC's main servers are currently located at
Hostdime.com in Orlando, FL.
Image Server Network thanks to Mike Potts and Amazon Web Services. If you have static file hosting space that allows dns aliasing contact us to help out! Some Maps Provided by:
Great thanks to all who donated and everyone who uses the site as well. Site designed for 800x600+ resolution
When in doubt, take the word of the National Hurricane Center