F
Current Radar or Satellite Image

Flhurricane.com - Central Florida Hurricane Center - Tracking Storms since 1995Hurricanes Without the Hype! Since 1995

Chill falls over the Atlantic as the official season heads towards close
Days since last H. Landfall - US: Any 211 (Idalia) , Major: 211 (Idalia) Florida - Any: 211 (Idalia) Major: 211 (Idalia)
None
COMMUNICATION
STORM DATA
CONTENT
FOLLOW US
ADS
Login to remove ads

News Talkback >> 2004 News Talkbacks

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | (show all)
trinibaje
Weather Guru

Reged: Tue
Loc: MIAMI, FLORIDA
PHIL.... [Re: LI Phil]
      #28257 - Thu Sep 16 2004 10:48 AM

what was the disaster of last May

*pops Xantax*

--------------------
-----------MY 2005 PREDICTION--------
15/10/5

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
MikeCAdministrator
Admin

Reged: Sun
Loc: Orlando, FL
Re: Frank P - reporting in - late but safe [Re: LI Phil]
      #28258 - Thu Sep 16 2004 10:48 AM

That Interstate 10 being out is going to be a problem for a good while, there's a good chance the whole thing is unsound now. The only bad thing about reports doing live shots is a lot of the time they can't give you a good extent of the damage. I have a feeling the reports are going to come in over the next few days are going to be not so good.

I'm going to be gone from the site until Monday night because of a family emergency. The rest should be able to hold it. If I get a chance or two to check on Jeanne I might but no guarantees.

dani
Weather Watcher

Loc: Pensacola/Indianapolis
Re: re: I-10 Bridge [Re: Unregistered User]
      #28259 - Thu Sep 16 2004 10:51 AM

With part of I-10 being gone and the fact that Hwy 90 that connects pensacola to pace in santa rosa is probably under water, there is no way to get back to our house.

Fortunately, from what we've heard, we lost our fence and some trees, and maybe some broken windows, but the house is still there and better than some in our neighborhood who lost their homes.

I hear they're undera boil water restriction presently as well as 300,000 without power, which Gulf power says covers the 4 extreme counties of florida: escambia, santa rosa, okaloosa and bay counties.

btw, pictures of the I-10 bridge loss is available at www.pensacolanewsjournal.com

--------------------
dani

Go Green Bay!

Edited by dani (Thu Sep 16 2004 10:56 AM)

tpratch

Reged: Fri
Loc: Maryland
Re: Frank P - reporting in - late but safe [Re: LI Phil]
      #28260 - Thu Sep 16 2004 10:59 AM

Quote:

I do not even want to look at the Jeanne (btw, half the forecasters are pronouncing it "Jean" and half "Jeanie" -- does anyone know if there is a "correct" pronounciation?). Lets just hope the mountains of Hispaniola deal her a death knell...and lets hope the disaster of last May does not repeat itself.

It's pronounced "GEEN". The folks who are confused aren't used to seeing "Jean" Spelled "Jeanne".

I interviewed with a Jeanne once and fortunately, I called her "GEEN" instead of "GEENEE" - I heard that she would immediately end the interview with anyone making that faux pas.

Bloodstar

Reged: Mon
Loc: Tucson, AZ
Re: Jeanne's a Hurricane [Re: kelcot]
      #28261 - Thu Sep 16 2004 11:02 AM

Quote:

Sorry, I should of explained myself better. I always keep stuff like that on hand. Not wait until the last minute and have to rush out and get it. You know how it is here.......People panic over 1/4 inch of snow, let alone something like this coming at them.

*chuckles* did you panic when atlanta had 3 inches of ice on the roads, Lord knows I did when I actually was dumb enough to get stuck out in the middle of it and had to crawl my way home... Atlanta gets some of the strangest weather. But only rarely....

Back to on topic: looks like Ivan really picked up forward speed at the last moment. I'm having serious doubts about a stall at this point. What are the implications for Jeanne if Ivan races out of the picture in the next 48 hours?

Also, is it just me, or do the hurricanes seem more... tenacious this year, fighting shear, fighting all sorts of negative factors and troopering on? (or maybe the negative influences weren't as negative as they seemed to be at the time...)

Take care people, I understand there's no school in most of Georgia today. Hopefully, that's not a bad sign...

Mark
Go Falcons 1 - 0.... And in First place?!?!

LI Phil
User

Loc: Long Island (40.7N 73.6W)
Re: PHIL.... [Re: trinibaje]
      #28262 - Thu Sep 16 2004 11:04 AM

Quote:

what was the disaster of last May

*pops Xantax*

It was, what many consider to be our first TD or TS (went unnamed) of the season...torrential rains and flooding killed thousands (not sure of the number but I believe it was 4,000+) in Hispaniola, most of them in Haiti. I'll go find the thread on which it was discussed and link you to it...

http://flhurricane.com/cyclone/showflat.php?Cat=0&Number=14307&page=2&fpart=10&vc=1

start reading on Page 10...the news goes from bad to worse...

--------------------
2005 Forecast: 14/7/4

BUCKLE UP!

"If your topic ain't tropic, your post will be toast"

Rasvar
Weather Master

Loc: Tallahassee, Fl
Re: Frank P - reporting in - late but safe [Re: tpratch]
      #28263 - Thu Sep 16 2004 11:06 AM

I think it is going to take a while to get a lot of good news on Pensacola. Media seemed to be focused on Mobile. I know that this is overwhelming the news resources that are in Pensacola. My concern is definately for the beaches from Gulf Shores, Alabama to Destin, Fl. It may be diffcult to get info from these areas at this time. They were getting hard poundings at 9:00 last night. If landfall did not occur until 3:00am, I shudder to think what some of these areas may look like. Not sure how passable US98 is right now. I remember what Fort Walton looked like after Opal. I suspect that Pensacola Beach will look a lot worse.

--------------------
Jim

MrSpock
Storm Tracker

Reged: Wed
Re: Frank P - reporting in - late but safe [Re: MikeC]
      #28264 - Thu Sep 16 2004 11:08 AM

I hope your emergency resolves itself positively soon. Good luck.

kelcot
Weather Guru

Loc: Canton, Ga
Re: Jeanne's a Hurricane [Re: Bloodstar]
      #28267 - Thu Sep 16 2004 11:12 AM

*chuckles* did you panic when atlanta had 3 inches of ice on the roads, Lord knows I did when I actually was dumb enough to get stuck out in the middle of it and had to crawl my way home... Atlanta gets some of the strangest weather. But only rarely....!

You got stuck in it? So did I. We were on 400 when they started shutting down the hwy. trying to get to the airport.

However, my mother seems to think there is a dirrect correlation between the hurricane season in the summer and the snowfall in the winter.......

Does anyone know how the beaches fared in PCB?

--------------------
Kelly

GaryC
Weather Guru

Re: Jeanne's a Hurricane [Re: Fletch]
      #28268 - Thu Sep 16 2004 11:14 AM

Well, so much for jeane getting weaker. If anything it is getting stronger. I mean it should have gotten weak from going over pr and it went from 60 to 80 over that time frame.

Fletch
Weather Guru

Loc: Ft. Lauderdale, Florida
Re: Jeanne's a Hurricane [Re: kelcot]
      #28269 - Thu Sep 16 2004 11:15 AM

Just read the 11 Am Discussion for Jeanne.

Anybody else tired or reading "Steering currents become weak after 48 hours"?

--------------------
Irwin M. Fletcher

Ed in Va
Weather Master

Loc:
      #28270 - Thu Sep 16 2004 11:17 AM

The discussion:
http://vortex.plymouth.edu/hur_dir/hur_dis_nt1.html

--------------------
Survived Carol and Edna '54 in Maine. Guess this kind of dates me!

tpratch

Loc: Maryland
Re: Jeanne's a Hurricane [Re: GaryC]
      #28271 - Thu Sep 16 2004 11:18 AM

Quote:

Well, so much for jeane getting weaker. If anything it is getting stronger. I mean it should have gotten weak from going over pr and it went from 60 to 80 over that time frame.

Went from 70 to 60 and then after being back over the ocean, went up to 80. Slight but important difference there

RevUp
Weather Guru

Loc:
Re: Jeanne's a Hurricane [Re: Bloodstar]
      #28272 - Thu Sep 16 2004 11:18 AM

Quote:

Also, is it just me, or do the hurricanes seem more... tenacious this year, fighting shear, fighting all sorts of negative factors and troopering on? (or maybe the negative influences weren't as negative as they seemed to be at the time...)
I understand there's no school in most of Georgia today. Hopefully, that's not a bad sign...

NHC has quoted the research of experts showing that the steering currents and other variables are quite favorable for tropical storm development this year, and conditions which take them farther west ... which is why everyone has been calling for an above average season. (an understatement?)
It should be pointed out that many schools (incl. Tampa) had already selected today as a holiday since it coincides with Rosh Hashanah. Perhaps the same is true in GA?

--------------------
"Let tomorrow worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own."

kelcot
Weather Guru

Loc: Canton, Ga
      #28273 - Thu Sep 16 2004 11:19 AM

Spoke to family in Vero this morning. They are still going through frequent power outages and they aren't taking their plywood down for a while.
Family in Mobile, P-goula, and Gautier are okay as well. I don't think they got too much damage. (fam. in Mobile has a house on the bay. They haven't gone to check things out yet)
Still waiting to hear about beach house in PCB............

--------------------
Kelly

RevUp
Weather Guru

Loc:
      #28274 - Thu Sep 16 2004 11:21 AM

Quote:

Anybody else tired of reading "Steering currents become weak after 48 hours"?

You know it!

staggy
Unregistered

Re: New Thread up [Re: kelcot]
      #28275 - Thu Sep 16 2004 11:21 AM

New thread is up

GaryC
Weather Guru

Re: Jeanne's a Hurricane [Re: tpratch]
      #28277 - Thu Sep 16 2004 11:22 AM

Good point. I guess i should have actually checked the numbers insead of remembering. I guess it was the booze.....only thing is I dont drink.

BeachBum
Weather Watcher

Loc: The Space Coast
Re: Frank P - reporting in - late but safe [Re: tpratch]
      #28339 - Thu Sep 16 2004 12:50 PM

Quote:

It's pronounced "GEEN". The folks who are confused aren't used to seeing "Jean" Spelled "Jeanne".

I interviewed with a Jeanne once and fortunately, I called her "GEEN" instead of "GEENEE" - I heard that she would immediately end the interview with anyone making that faux pas.

My mother's sister-in-law Jeanne pronounced her name ZHAHN - Tante Jeanne to me.

If the NHC wanted a GEEN, why not Jean?

--------------------
From Brevard's Barrier Island
28°08'56"N; 80°35'11"W

BeachBum
Weather Watcher

Loc: The Space Coast
Re: Frank P - reporting in - late but safe [Re: Rasvar]
      #28342 - Thu Sep 16 2004 12:56 PM

Quote:

Not sure how passable US98 is right now. I remember what Fort Walton looked like after Opal. I suspect that Pensacola Beach will look a lot worse.

I heard a report from PCB 98 was closed from there to Destin.

From FWB a report it was closed from there to Pensacola.

I guess it is open in downtown FWB, PERIOD.

--------------------
From Brevard's Barrier Island
28°08'56"N; 80°35'11"W

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 182 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  MikeC, Ed Dunham, danielw 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating: *****
Topic views: 31939

Rate this topic

Jump to

Note: This is NOT an official page. It is run by weather hobbyists and should not be used as a replacement for official sources. 
CFHC's main servers are currently located at
Hostdime.com in Orlando, FL.
Image Server Network thanks to Mike Potts and Amazon Web Services. If you have static file hosting space that allows dns aliasing contact us to help out! Some Maps Provided by:
Great thanks to all who donated and everyone who uses the site as well. Site designed for 800x600+ resolution
When in doubt, take the word of the National Hurricane Center