F
Current Radar or Satellite Image

Flhurricane.com - Central Florida Hurricane Center - Tracking Storms since 1995Hurricanes Without the Hype! Since 1995

Special Tropical Weather Outlook issued for area in the East-Central Atlantic, only with 10% chance for development, not expected to do much.
Days since last H. Landfall - US: Any 239 (Idalia) , Major: 239 (Idalia) Florida - Any: 239 (Idalia) Major: 239 (Idalia)

News Talkback >> 2004 News Talkbacks

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | >> (show all)
Rasvar
Weather Master

Reged:
Loc: Tallahassee, Fl
Time to dream of fish spinners! [Re: Rasvar]
      #28604 - Fri Sep 17 2004 03:03 AM

Time for me to head to bed. Hope to wake up to find out about a bunch of fish spinners. Maybe by this time tomorrow night, Jeanne might seem a little clearer.

--------------------
Jim

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
danielwAdministrator

Reged:
Loc: Hattiesburg,MS (31.3N 89.3W)
Re: TD IVAN [Re: WXMAN RICHIE]
      #28605 - Fri Sep 17 2004 03:03 AM

Well at least the models agree on Ivan for a change. A 180 degree turn over land is not unheard of, but rare.

scottsvb
Weather Master

Reged:
Loc: fl
Re: TD IVAN [Re: WXMAN RICHIE]
      #28606 - Fri Sep 17 2004 03:05 AM

If Pasch doesnt improve his forcasting skills,,Im going to apply at the NHC and personally tell him," I'M REPLACING YOU!!!"

Fletch
Weather Guru

Reged:
Loc: Ft. Lauderdale, Florida
Re: CFHC vs. Steve Lyons... [Re: BillD]
      #28607 - Fri Sep 17 2004 03:05 AM

Quote:

During Frances each of the local stations (NBC, CBS, ABC and FOX) each had 2 or 3 reporters each out in the field along the coast, in the wind, with debris flying by them, trees falling and water rising. They were all crazy. The fact that the 10 or 12 of them and their crews escaped injury is amazing. There was one shot of a woman reporter hanging on to a stop sign out in the middle of an intersection hanging on for her life, when a major band came through and the wind picked up unexepectedly, she fell to the gournd and hugged the base of the sign. I don't know how the cameraman didn't blow away. One little 6" piece of metal siding, a coconut or even a tree limb could have taken either of them out in a second. This was all live. I don't get it.

Bill

Saw that Bill. She was ridiculous. She then got hit by a leaf which by the next day was changed to a piece of roof. Network must have thought the leaf was too wimpy.

--------------------
Irwin M. Fletcher

GuppieGrouper
Weather Master

Reged:
Loc: Polk County, Florida
Re: TD IVAN [Re: danielw]
      #28608 - Fri Sep 17 2004 03:09 AM

What is keeping Jeanne together? I thought mountains and Islands were supposed to be discouraging and dismantling to storms. Jeanne has been huggin Hispanolia all day and she still looks like a viable storm. Are they seeding the atmosphere with the antithesis to dynagel? I think they may be Storm seeding to grow hurricanes!!!( just kidding but a part of me wonders, sitting here thinking about another weekend of hurricane tracking into Florida SE Coast.

--------------------
God commands. Laymen guess. Scientists record.

danielwAdministrator

Reged:
Loc: Hattiesburg,MS (31.3N 89.3W)
Re: Karl is here. yuk! [Re: Fletch]
      #28609 - Fri Sep 17 2004 03:09 AM

TROPICAL STORM KARL DISCUSSION NUMBER 2
NWS TPC/NATIONAL HURRICANE CENTER MIAMI FL
11 PM EDT THU SEP 16 2004

CONVENTIONAL AND MICROWAVE SATELLITE IMAGERY INDICATE TROPICAL DEPRESSION TWELVE HAS BECOME MUCH BETTER ORGANIZED DURING THE PAST 6 HOURS. Dvorak INTENSITY ESTIMATES ARE 45 KT FROM TAFB AND 35 KT FRAM SAB. A 16/1950Z QUIKSCAT OVERPASS INDICATED SOME 25-30 KT UNCONTAMINATED WIND SPEEDS...WITH ONLY A FEW RAIN-CONTAMINATED 40-KT WINDS. THEREFORE...THE DEPRESSION IS ONLY BEING UPGRADED TO 35-KT TROPICAL STORM KARL
editor's note. Fram has NOT purchased SAB

Edited by danielw (Fri Sep 17 2004 03:12 AM)

WXMAN RICHIE
Weather Master

Reged:
Loc: Boynton Beach, FL
Jeanne [Re: danielw]
      #28610 - Fri Sep 17 2004 03:10 AM

I think we will have to watch the intensity on Jeanne. She has spent most of the last 24 hours crossing the entire length of Puerto Rico and half the length of the Dominican Republic and has hardly even weakened. What does that mean when she finally finds the water?

--------------------
Another typical August:
Hurricane activity is increasing and the Red Sox are choking.

Live weather from my backyard:
http://www.wunderground.com/weatherstation/WXDailyHistory.asp?ID=KFLBOYNT4

BillD
User

Reged:
Loc: Miami
Re: TD IVAN [Re: GuppieGrouper]
      #28611 - Fri Sep 17 2004 03:15 AM

The fact that Jeanne's center has mostly stayed over water, or has not been away from water long. Plus there is just something about this storm that isn't giving up.

Bill

mojorox
Weather Watcher

Reged:
Loc: Orlando
earthquake vs hurricane [Re: Fletch]
      #28612 - Fri Sep 17 2004 03:16 AM

I was in an earthquake once whilst ice skating in a big tin rink in Japan years ago. Everyone ran out of the building and I landed on my a%% in the center of the rink and had to wait it out. I think I prefer the earthquake in that there is no anticipation and it is over quick. Though it is weird watching the floor move in waves...

I am so exhausted this season and have gone from dread to, "come on baby, do your worst" as I am more prepared than I ever have been after the past two. A kind of defiant mindset. Perhaps it is a coping mechanism...

I am glad Jason is ok. I was worried. I hope Rick is ok too. My parents lost part of their dock but the house is intact on the gulf in MS.

I saw Larry King tonight and one of the guests said that there had been previous hurricanes off the coast of LA in the distant past.
This surprised me.

Helen

Mooshie-SC
Verified CFHC User

Reged:
Re: South Carolina ouf of the woods? [Re: WXMAN RICHIE]
      #28613 - Fri Sep 17 2004 03:16 AM

Our local meteorologist said that most likely Jeanne would make a Georgia/North Florida landfall. What do you guys think the chances of Jeanne getting up to South Carolina before making that western turn?

Kent
Weather Guru

Reged:
Loc: Ft. Lauderdale
Re: CFHC vs. Steve Lyons... [Re: Fletch]
      #28614 - Fri Sep 17 2004 03:18 AM

I saw that too. In a meager attempt to defend the woman though she admitted that she had been stupid. She is normally a sports reporter and this was her first time covering a hurricane.

I doubt she will do it again.

Unless she was the reporter that later stood outside of a hotel who's sliding glass doors were about to fly off. One floor above there was already a big hole where she said they just watched a mattress and other things come flying out. She just stood there...right below, waiting to catch it all on film.

If that was her then I humbly retract the first part of this post.

Fletch
Weather Guru

Reged:
Loc: Ft. Lauderdale, Florida
Re: earthquake vs hurricane [Re: mojorox]
      #28615 - Fri Sep 17 2004 03:21 AM

Quote:

I was in an earthquake once whilst ice skating in a big tin rink in Japan years ago. Everyone ran out of the building and I landed on my a%% in the center of the rink and had to wait it out. I think I prefer the earthquake in that there is no anticipation and it is over quick. Though it is weird watching the floor move in waves...

I am so exhausted this season and have gone from dread to, "come on baby, do your worst" as I am more prepared than I ever have been after the past two. A kind of defiant mindset. Perhaps it is a coping mechanism...

I am glad Jason is ok. I was worried. I hope Rick is ok too. My parents lost part of their dock but the house is intact on the gulf in MS.

I saw Larry King tonight and one of the guests said that there had been previous hurricanes off the coast of LA in the distant past.
This surprised me.

Helen

Helen

I may have to disagree with you. I've lived in S FL since 72 but I have also been through 2 small quakes in the Bay area. Earthquakes scare the S%^& out of me. You can't prepare, and they can strike any time. Canes usually occur only a few months out of the year, and you know when they are coming and most importantly, you can leave.

--------------------
Irwin M. Fletcher

wxman007
Meteorologist

Reged:
Loc: Tuscaloosa, AL
Want to see what my day was like yesterday.... [Re: Fletch]
      #28616 - Fri Sep 17 2004 03:24 AM

Take this ...

and multiply it by 10 more hours, and that is what happened in our area yesterday (yes, that is my voice narrating everything)...

--------------------
Jason Kelley

Londovir
Weather Guru

Reged:
Loc: Lakeland, FL
Re: South Carolina ouf of the woods? [Re: Mooshie-SC]
      #28617 - Fri Sep 17 2004 03:24 AM

The weather reporters out in the field are ridiculous, honestly. It's not like by now the public hasn't seen a hurricane, doesn't know what they are like. Reminds me all too much of the movie "Day After Tomorrow" where the newsman buys it to the flying billboard sign from the tornado. The reporter that almost ate the palm tree in the head in Orlando is a classic example. Someone here on the boards said it landed 5 feet behind him. It didn't. The fronds actually smacked him in the head on the way down. If the trunk had landed, say, at 15 degrees to the base rather than 20 degrees, he quite likely would have been killed on [semi] live TV. Unconscienable.

Why do I keep getting this itchy feeling that the one storm we should next be watching isn't Jeanne, but future "L" storm...like we've noticed before, excepting Bonnie, it's been Charley --- xxx --- xxx --- Frances --- xxx --- xxx --- Ivan. With Karl forming and going out the sea (most likely), I can just see Jeanne recurving to the Atlantic to keep the pattern going, and get ready for "L"....

Would have normally just laughed it off as superstition, but in this year of weird storms, gotta go with it.

--------------------
Londovir

erauwx
Verified CFHC User

Reged:
Loc: Orlando, FL
Re: Want to see what my day was like yesterday.... [Re: wxman007]
      #28618 - Fri Sep 17 2004 03:26 AM

Wow ... impressive video!!!

BillD
User

Reged:
Loc: Miami
Re: CFHC vs. Steve Lyons... [Re: Kent]
      #28619 - Fri Sep 17 2004 03:28 AM

Not blaming the reporter at all, a little later when they got back to her you could tell she was really shaken by the experience.. I blame the stations, they should not be asking their reporters to go out there and risk their lives like that. Earlier that day Jeb Bush in one of his public statements made a point of saying that having reporters out there in the worst of it was a bad idea (I'm paraphrasing, he used stronger language, if I remember right it included the word "stupid").

Bill

Kent
Weather Guru

Reged:
Loc: Ft. Lauderdale
Re: Jeanne [Re: WXMAN RICHIE]
      #28620 - Fri Sep 17 2004 03:29 AM

From the 11pm discussion of Jeanne

Look at the 72 hour mark seeing that Ft. Lauderdale is 26N 80w Can someone tell me how far away that really is?

FORECAST POSITIONS AND MAX WINDS

INITIAL 17/0300Z 19.4N 69.7W 60 KT
12HR VT 17/1200Z 20.0N 70.8W 60 KT
24HR VT 18/0000Z 21.1N 72.4W 65 KT
36HR VT 18/1200Z 22.3N 73.7W 70 KT
48HR VT 19/0000Z 23.6N 74.9W 75 KT
72HR VT 20/0000Z 26.5N 76.9W 80 KT
96HR VT 21/0000Z 29.5N 79.0W 85 KT
120HR VT 22/0000Z 32.0N 81.0W 85 KT

SkeetoBiteAdministrator
Master of Maps

Reged:
Loc: Lakeland, FL
      #28621 - Fri Sep 17 2004 03:32 AM

Quote:

Take this ...

and multiply it by 10 more hours, and that is what happened in our area yesterday (yes, that is my voice narrating everything)...

You are the man! We were so worried for you and your wife and of course, all your viewers. Thanks for keeping all those folks safe and informed.

LI Phil
User

Reged:
Loc: Long Island (40.7N 73.6W)
      #28622 - Fri Sep 17 2004 03:33 AM

Hey Jason...

Didn't even look at your day yesterday...

It just shows you how much you mean (and are meant) to these boards to be posting today...

Thank GOD you are alive...I know she has bigger plans for you...

I'm think in 2-3 years, Jim Cantore will say, "We now go to our resident meterologist Jason Kelley for our tropical update".

If you'd even deign to work for them.

Who lost a TON of respect for them this season?

Yeah, I'm trying to insite the rabble, but I beileve it to be true?

--------------------
2005 Forecast: 14/7/4

BUCKLE UP!

"If your topic ain't tropic, your post will be toast"

richisurfs
Weather Guru

Reged:
Loc: Indialantic,Florida
Re: South Carolina ouf of the woods? [Re: Mooshie-SC]
      #28623 - Fri Sep 17 2004 03:37 AM

I just saw the 11pm forecast by Orlando Channel 9's Tom Terry. I think he's the best in the area. He is pretty much in agreement with the NHC's projected path of Jeanne at this point. And he showed all the models coming into agreement , more or less, keeping Ivan's path offshore from Florida. He pointed out that even the GFDL's track, which was the most western track, moved right and is more in agreement with the others now. 140 miles offshore of Melbourne on Monday with 100 mph winds. This guy is like our version of Jason Kelley down here. I trust him. He said lets just hope the models hold out so he acknowledges that nothing is written in stone at this point. The bottom line for me is I'm going to bed tonight believing, at this point, in the scenario that the NHC has laid out so far. Tomorrow is another day and I'll wake up and deal with Jeanne again then amongst other things. I think if anyone has any questions about the direction of Jeanne at this point, then they ought to do the same. Good night everyone...its been a great discussion today...I usually don't get to stay on this long. Sleep tight cuz I will!

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | >> (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 177 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating: *****
Topic views: 58355

Rate this topic

Jump to

Note: This is NOT an official page. It is run by weather hobbyists and should not be used as a replacement for official sources. 
CFHC's main servers are currently located at
Hostdime.com in Orlando, FL.
Image Server Network thanks to Mike Potts and Amazon Web Services. If you have static file hosting space that allows dns aliasing contact us to help out! Some Maps Provided by:
Great thanks to all who donated and everyone who uses the site as well. Site designed for 800x600+ resolution
When in doubt, take the word of the National Hurricane Center