F
Current Radar or Satellite Image

Flhurricane.com - Central Florida Hurricane Center - Tracking Storms since 1995Hurricanes Without the Hype! Since 1995

The 2024 Atlantic Hurricane Season Begins on June 1st and lasts until Nov 30th. NHC Outlooks resume on May 15th..
Days since last H. Landfall - US: Any 238 (Idalia) , Major: 238 (Idalia) Florida - Any: 238 (Idalia) Major: 238 (Idalia)

News Talkback >> 2004 News Talkbacks

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | >> (show all)
Keith234
Storm Chaser

Reged:
Loc: 40.7N/73.3W Long Island
Re: Another day, Another storm [Re: luki]
      #28689 - Fri Sep 17 2004 02:19 PM

Well right now that seems like a likely landfall point, I think everyone someone should abbrevate this, keep an eye on this and don't turn your back on this storm.

--------------------
"I became insane with horrible periods of sanity"
Edgar Allan Poe

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
luki
Verified CFHC User

Reged:
Loc: palm beach county
Re: Another day, Another storm [Re: Rabbit]
      #28690 - Fri Sep 17 2004 02:19 PM

no wonder she wrecked the place,ive heard some horor stories on what she did to my neighborhood,not sitting in too good a place here,about 10 miles from the coast but also in the middle of the St.Johns and Trout rivers if my memory sevres me were a cat 3 evac zone. hoping Jeanne dies out,gets a very doubtful push out to sea,or does no further intensifying.

Rabbit
Weather Master

Reged:
Loc: Central Florida
Dora [Re: luki]
      #28691 - Fri Sep 17 2004 02:22 PM

it is interesting to note that since 1851, Dora was the only major hurricane to hit northeast Florida from the Atlantic, and the only hurricane to hit northeast Florida in an east to west direction

luki
Verified CFHC User

Reged:
Re: Another day, Another storm [Re: Keith234]
      #28692 - Fri Sep 17 2004 02:24 PM

scary thought,i know i wont be turning my back.thinking maybe i should have kept my mouth shut to my sister,shes coming in from NJ tonight and i told her well u pushed Ivan away but looks like your bringing Jeanne in,i think i might have spoke too soon on that one

dwlobo
Verified CFHC User

Reged:
Loc: Palmetto, FL
Re: Jeanne looking pretty ragged right now [Re: Frank P]
      #28694 - Fri Sep 17 2004 02:27 PM

Sure does look like it's stationary.

Frank P
Veteran Storm Chaser

Reged:
Ivan Storm Surge? [Re: Rabbit]
      #28695 - Fri Sep 17 2004 02:27 PM

Looking at the continuous TV coverage coming out of Mobile this morning,Gulf Shores,Orange Beach, Perdido, Pensacola, the devastation of these areas really bring back memories of Camille...

even Camille didn't do that kind of damages to bridges.... someone posted earlier that they thought Ivan had a Cat 5 surge... the damage I've seen certainly supports that analogy... 130-140 mph winds do not cause that kind of damage I've seen on TV, that was from a tremendous surge... anyone know what the actual surge was??

It had to be at least 15-20 feet, and add the height of the waves on top, this must have been incredible and very close to the heights generated by Camille...

one difference between the two areas, our waves in the MS sound don't get nearly as high because the sound is so shallow, and we are protected by the barrier islands (Horn, Ship and Cat islands, quite beautiful I might add)... Gulf Shores, Pen, Orange Beach.... these areas ARE the barrier islands.... and have NO protection ..

luki
Verified CFHC User

Reged:
Re: Dora [Re: Rabbit]
      #28696 - Fri Sep 17 2004 02:27 PM

was not aware of that,guess all the hype about being way overdue for a hit up here have some real value to it

Rasvar
Weather Master

Reged:
Loc: Tallahassee, Fl
Re: Another day, Another storm [Re: Rabbit]
      #28697 - Fri Sep 17 2004 02:27 PM

Have to correct you on that. Dora was only a Cat 2 at landfall on the NE Florida coast[granted high Cat 2]. There has not been a "recorded" Cat 3 landfall in this area.

--------------------
Jim

leetdan
Weather Guru

Reged:
Loc: Osceola County
      #28698 - Fri Sep 17 2004 02:29 PM

I noticed that too Rabbit, seems the First Coast is the safest place in the state in terms of hurricanes... That area lies right in between the usual storm tracks, either west through the Straits or South Florida, or curving north to the Carolinas. Certainly can't count yourselves out though :-/

--------------------
[witty phrase here]

darthaggie

Reged:
Loc: Tallahassee, FL
Re: Repost from other thread [Re: Terra]
      #28699 - Fri Sep 17 2004 02:30 PM

Quote:

One more question for you.... a lot of these people that have meteorologist after their name, but spend their time doing field reporting.... are they real meteorologists?

Well, I've heard that TWC's Stephanie Abrams graduated from FSU's meteorology department, and that Kristina Abernathy is an ex-USAF meteorologist. I'd guess, just from a marketing point-of-view, that most of TWC's on-camera people are meteorologists of some stripe.

As for your journey into meteorology, well, it's never too late. It depends, I guess, on how long ago you last saw really gnarly mathematics. Personally, I'd need to go back and take a refresher course(s) in calculus. And I might actually learn something about calculus!!!

MrSpock
Storm Tracker

Reged:
The storm that won't go away..... [Re: darthaggie]
      #28700 - Fri Sep 17 2004 02:33 PM

Conventional wisdom a few days ago was to keep the storm stuck over the southern App. GFS was the first to say it would get picked up. Now, the new ETA has the remnants of Ivan emerging off the Va./NC coast.......IF that were to happen, that could change things with Jeanne. Again, not saying it will, but it is an interesting output.
http://www.nco.ncep.noaa.gov/pmb/nwprod/analysis/namer/eta/12/images/eta_slp_036m.gif

Keith234
Storm Chaser

Reged:
Loc: 40.7N/73.3W Long Island
      #28701 - Fri Sep 17 2004 02:36 PM

Did anyone see the East Pacific lately, that storm is recurving to Baja California. That trough must be something, most storms don't recurve like that, the models were sending it out to sea, except the GFS it recurved it. Anyway this trough will play a big role in determining the track of Jeanne. If and only if Jeanne gets into the GOM then the panhandle would have to watch out, this could be a similiar storm to Betsy. If the storm doen't get into the GOM then it will get sucked up by that trough and cause another rain storm along the coast. Let's see how it pan's out but as soon as I see that ridge building over top, then it's hitting Florida.

Karl looks impressive, though it might not hit the United States because of that TUTT, it's clearly visible on sat imagery. Prob the first major cane not going to impact the USA, amazing. Anyway, the models are also predicting another tropical system to form; the son of Karl, Lisa. Is this parade ever going to stop, it's like were being assualted by the tropics!

--------------------
"I became insane with horrible periods of sanity"
Edgar Allan Poe

Lake Toho - Kissimmee
Storm Tracker

Reged:
Loc: Kissimmee, Florida on Lake Toh...
Models Getting some press [Re: Keith234]
      #28702 - Fri Sep 17 2004 02:40 PM

Article on CNN.Com about models http://www.cnn.com/2004/TECH/internet/09/16/hurricane.supercomputers.ap/index.html

--------------------
Dream like you will live forever.. Live like there is no tommorow.. Darwin Rules !!

LI Phil
User

Reged:
Loc: Long Island (40.7N 73.6W)
What the ... [Re: Lake Toho - Kissimmee]
      #28703 - Fri Sep 17 2004 02:45 PM

11:00 NHC 5-day

Guess they don't think this is cutting across S FL!

--------------------
2005 Forecast: 14/7/4

BUCKLE UP!

"If your topic ain't tropic, your post will be toast"

Beach
Weather Guru

Reged:
Loc: Cocoa Beach/Banana River
Great Link [Re: HanKFranK]
      #28704 - Fri Sep 17 2004 02:49 PM

You probably already have it:
http://www.pensacolanewsjournal.com/news/guides/hurricane/galleries.shtml

The photo gallery is just incredible!!!
These poor folks got hammard

MO stormspotter
Unregistered

Re: What the ... [Re: LI Phil]
      #28705 - Fri Sep 17 2004 02:52 PM

That is the most strange projeted track for a hurriane that I have ever seen?

LI Phil
User

Reged:
Loc: Long Island (40.7N 73.6W)
Re: What the ... [Re: MO stormspotter]
      #28707 - Fri Sep 17 2004 02:59 PM Attachment (304 downloads)

See attachment.

NHC and accuwx tracks are now somewhat similar, though accuwx is WAY faster with her.

--------------------
2005 Forecast: 14/7/4

BUCKLE UP!

"If your topic ain't tropic, your post will be toast"

Wxwatcher2
Storm Tracker

Reged:
Loc:
Re: What the ... [Re: MO stormspotter]
      #28708 - Fri Sep 17 2004 03:01 PM

Quote:

That is the most strange projeted track for a hurriane that I have ever seen?

I'm beginning to chuckle at each new discussion by the NHC as it relates to their forecast path.
I used to plot them out on a seperate map but I'm tired of changing them every six hours.

I will tell you this, You'll really have to convince me it will come into the Jacksonville, Fla area from the East.

Frank P
Veteran Storm Chaser

Reged:
Re: What the ... [Re: LI Phil]
      #28709 - Fri Sep 17 2004 03:03 PM

Wanna bet it shifts? How many times did Frances and Ivan shift... heck at one time the NHC was leaning towards Ivan crossing over Florida thru the Punta Gorda area and up the east coast.... and had Frances going up the east coast as well... yeah, it'll shift, I can guarantee it.... who wants to bet right now this is where Jeanne is going? any takers out there? I think not because the people who come here to this site are smart, and know the track record of the models... go look at the last tropical model runs... they are all over the place... the NHC has to put out a 5 day... I would not put any stock in this one at the moment....

Jeanne will have to be monitored very closely as I don't think the models have a clue as of yet.... but I'll say this, I think Florida will get another one.... and if it does get into the GOM, the panhandle might be under the gun again.... or perhaps even a little more west of there.... still waaay to early and I'm just prematurely speculating at the moment...

storm chaser
Unregistered

Re: What the ... [Re: Frank P]
      #28710 - Fri Sep 17 2004 03:07 PM

Quote:

Wanna bet it shifts? How many times did Frances and Ivan shift... heck at one time the NHC was leaning towards Ivan crossing over Florida thru the Punta Gorda area and up the east coast.... and had Frances going up the east coast as well... yeah, it'll shift, I can guarantee it.... who wants to bet right now this is where Jeanne is going? any takers out there? I think not because the people who come here to this site are smart, and know the track record of the models... go look at the last tropical model runs... they are all over the place... the NHC has to put out a 5 day... I would not put any stock in this one at the moment....

Jeanne will have to be monitored very closely as I don't think the models have a clue as of yet.... but I'll say this, I think Florida will get another one.... and if it does get into the GOM, the panhandle might be under the gun again.... or perhaps even a little more west of there.... still waaay to early and I'm just prematurely speculating at the moment...

I say between Brevard and Daytona, that is my guess

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | >> (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 71 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating: *****
Topic views: 54049

Rate this topic

Jump to

Note: This is NOT an official page. It is run by weather hobbyists and should not be used as a replacement for official sources. 
CFHC's main servers are currently located at
Hostdime.com in Orlando, FL.
Image Server Network thanks to Mike Potts and Amazon Web Services. If you have static file hosting space that allows dns aliasing contact us to help out! Some Maps Provided by:
Great thanks to all who donated and everyone who uses the site as well. Site designed for 800x600+ resolution
When in doubt, take the word of the National Hurricane Center