F
Current Radar or Satellite Image

Flhurricane.com - Central Florida Hurricane Center - Tracking Storms since 1995Hurricanes Without the Hype! Since 1995

Chill falls over the Atlantic as the official season heads towards close
Days since last H. Landfall - US: Any 232 (Idalia) , Major: 232 (Idalia) Florida - Any: 232 (Idalia) Major: 232 (Idalia)
None
COMMUNICATION
STORM DATA
CONTENT
FOLLOW US
ADS
Login to remove ads

News Talkback >> 2004 News Talkbacks

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | >> (show all)
DMFischer
Weather Hobbyist

Reged: Fri
Loc: Palm Bay
Re: survived because of a one degree dogleg right at the last minute...whew! [Re: rickonboat]
      #29476 - Tue Sep 21 2004 01:05 PM

Rick
Good to see you back, we have been watching to see you log back on with news. Sure glad you and your boat are fine!

--------------------
Survived: Mitch '98-Charley's crossing'04-Frances '04-Jeanne'04 Survived near fatal fear from Floyd's threat.
Nearly grew gills with Fay'08

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
MO STORMSPOTTER
Unregistered

Re: Ivan's Return [Re: Domino]
      #29478 - Tue Sep 21 2004 01:06 PM

Quote:

Been looking over things just west of Florida this morning and it appears Ivan is making an attempt at a comeback. Looks like it is making an attempt at a LLC at around 25.72N 83.88W. Convection is also starting to crank up a bit. So...any thoughts on TD Ivan in 24 hours or so?

*note: I am as amature as they come and I'm just enjoying a moment of looking at something else while we have 3 real storms to watch.

Is the potential LLC on the east or west side of Florida right now?

Rabbit
Weather Master

Reged: Sat
Loc: Central Florida
Re: Ivan's Return [Re: MO STORMSPOTTER]
      #29479 - Tue Sep 21 2004 01:12 PM

it is west of Florida

It is entirely possible that by Thursday we could have five named storms in the Jeanne, Karl, Lisa; the remnamts of Ivan have about a 40% chance of developing, and the wave east of Lisa has a 70% chance of developing

Shalafi
Weather Guru

Reged: Thu
Loc: Altamonte Springs
Re: survived because of a one degree dogleg right at the last minute...whew! [Re: Clark]
      #29480 - Tue Sep 21 2004 01:14 PM

Since I know nothing about weather watching or storm predicting or trofs and ridges I'm fascinated by all this. Living in central FL has made me almost dependent on this site. Tell me if I got this straight:

This season is insane, virtually anything goes and I wont know if I need to "hunker down" until about 1 day before the storm and even then it could jump around us and we not even see rain? I know hurricanes aren't 100% predictable, but it seems like there is even less ability to figure them out this year than normal...I just wish I understood it all better so I could enjoy the thrill and challenge of it all...very interesting! Thank you all!

Bloodstar

Reged: Mon
Loc: Tucson, AZ
Med. Storm? [Re: Rabbit]
      #29481 - Tue Sep 21 2004 01:16 PM

Someone mentioned a possible Storm in the Med. Sea. Any further information on it?

Thanks!
Mark
Falcons 2 - 0, 4 - 1 with Vick, 4 - 10 without Vick.

leetdan
Weather Guru

Reged: Wed
Loc: Osceola County
      #29482 - Tue Sep 21 2004 01:16 PM

Looking at the visible loop, it looks to me that there's some circulation now off the SW FL coast. At the same time, it looks like the wave behind Lisa has some spin too. Wonder which one will get named first...

--------------------
[witty phrase here]

Domino
Weather Guru

Loc: Makati City, Philippines
Re: Ivan's Return [Re: Rabbit]
      #29483 - Tue Sep 21 2004 01:19 PM

Yea, certainly west of Florida basically about 100 miles due west of Naples. That wave you speak of east of Lisa has t-numbers of 1.5. Has some nice cold cloud tops - just looks like it needs to get its act together just a bit more. Anymore it seems like anything that comes off Africa just automatically becomes a storm..

doug
Weather Analyst

Loc: parrish,fl
Re: Joe's Daily Column is free today [Re: Terry Johnson]
      #29484 - Tue Sep 21 2004 01:21 PM

It should be renamed...this is not the same vortex but is some of the energy, as I understand it...could be wrong though

--------------------
doug

Domino
Weather Guru

Re: Med. Storm? [Re: Bloodstar]
      #29485 - Tue Sep 21 2004 01:26 PM

I was looking at the Sat's from the Med and it looks like something tried to spin up but didn't have time before it ran into Greece. At this rate we should have our first cyclone in the artic ocean soon. What would we call them? Frigidcanes? Icecones maybe?

doug
Weather Analyst

#29486 - Tue Sep 21 2004 01:27 PM

Radar confirms that loction...but I doubt it is closed low more like a wave open on the southeast,
the system behind Lisa was "tumbling " when it came off the coast, and its large!

--------------------
doug

MO STORMSPOTTER
Unregistered

Re: Ivan's Return [Re: doug]
      #29487 - Tue Sep 21 2004 01:29 PM

what ever it is the remenants are definity spinning..

http://www.nws.noaa.gov/radar/loop/DS.p20-r/si.ktbw.shtml

I wonder if this will become Matthew.

Ormond Suzie
Weather Watcher

Reged: Sun
Loc: Ormond Beach, Florida
Re: The ghost of Ivan continues [Re: BeachBum]
      #29488 - Tue Sep 21 2004 01:29 PM

"It also would not be a completely new system. I think ignoring Ivan in the name would be a mistake. Why not Ivan2 or Ivanov/Ivanova? "

Ivanovich means "son of Ivan" - so that would be appropriate. LOL. I believe I understand from earlier discussions of this question, though, that it would get a new name.

Domino
Weather Guru

#29489 - Tue Sep 21 2004 01:31 PM

I agree - the isn't closed circulation yet...but it sure is trying. Should be interesting to see how this unfolds. Nice that it is happening where we can watch with radar.

LI Phil
User

Reged: Fri
Loc: Long Island (40.7N 73.6W)
      #29490 - Tue Sep 21 2004 01:40 PM

>>> I wonder if this will become Matthew?

There's a name that will bring back some bad board memories.

------------

rickonboat: Great News (for you)! A number of posters were quite worried you hadn't checked back in.

Had to go to a meeting all morning, just getting in now. Wow, we have three named storms presently, with a strong chance to have three hurricanes by tomorrow! We could also have Matthew & Nicole by the next couple of days. Un-be-friggin-lievable!

At least it looks like the models have come into agreement with Jeanne...GFS...hmmmmm...

Interesting thought by scottsvb on Lisa. I think it's a little too early to write her off, especially this season. She's such a small storm, she may just be able to make it across the pond. System behind her looks real promising now.

Didn't read JB today, but since it's free, I won't have to post his thoughts...that's my next stop.

Gotta delve into the tropics in a little while...amazing how much one misses this site when it goes down. Thanks MIKE for everything you do!

--------------------
2005 Forecast: 14/7/4

BUCKLE UP!

"If your topic ain't tropic, your post will be toast"

Katie
Weather Guru

Reged: Tue
Loc: Winter Haven, FL
      #29491 - Tue Sep 21 2004 01:42 PM

Anyone know the possibility of Lisa taking a similar path to Ivan? The forecasters keep commenting on how far south she is as was Ivan. I was just curious if I need to keep a watchful eye on her or if she will get swept away with Karl.

Also, to the person who asked about the "one day rule" of hunker down - after going through Bonnie, Charley, Francis and outter bands of Ivan - if I am in a cone - I will be hunkered down for good! No chance in heck I won't be prepared for any other hurricane after Charley! Like with Ivan, we waited till it was past our area and still heading North before we took a sigh of relief.

Also, I read that they think we will be in this pattern for hits for approximately 10-40 years! Is this really possible and where is our normal protection? Just curious.

doug
Weather Analyst

#29492 - Tue Sep 21 2004 01:43 PM

I think it should be renamed if it desreves storm status just because of the ramifications of using "Ivan" now one of the classic modern storms.
Besides what went over Florida was hardly a storm and not even a TD level if it was a closed low which I doubt as stated earlier.
I guess if the NHC can somehow track the original vortex from landfall to the Florida East coast yesterday, then perhaps it could be Ivan the Resusciitated... but a new name would be my recommendation if that comes to pass.

Also Can Lisa survive???Right now it looks ragged...being slapped around by big brother Karl and seems to be nearly out run by the large system behind it...they can't be more that 250-300 miles apart and it looks as if the gap is closing?

--------------------
doug

Ricreig
User

Reged: Sat
Loc: Orlando, Fl
Re: survived because of a one degree dogleg right at the last minute...whew! [Re: Shalafi]
      #29493 - Tue Sep 21 2004 01:47 PM

Quote:

I just wish I understood it all better so I could enjoy the thrill and challenge of it all...very interesting! Thank you all!

First, welcome aboard.

I think that *everyone*, from the experts at NHC to the pros like Jason K to the 'learned' that visit this forum so oten, certainly me, all feel the same "I wish I understood it all better". Every storm has its' challanges and thrills, but this year has been both a little too challanging and way too 'thirlling' for most of us. At least, back in '59 with Camille, I *ONLY* had to worry about her, not Charley, Frances and her wayword offspring, Ivan the terrible. ...and to have a bastard step-son of Ivandevellop and possibly threaten us again is almost intollerable. I have had more rain from this 'bastard' wannabe storm in the last day and a half than I have had since Frances came by, total and the winds here in Orlando are 'fresh' to say the least. And that is just a 'renant'.

So, yes, we would all like to know and understand more....hang in there

--------------------
Richard
A forecast is NOT a promise!

doug
Weather Analyst

Re: Ivan's Return [Re: Katie]
      #29494 - Tue Sep 21 2004 01:48 PM

10-40 years of a pattern...lets hope not...today a friend of mine and I are already lamenting next years homeowners insurance changes...if we even get renewed...and we did not have any damage, yet!...After Andrew the casualty insurance industry went through huge changes in assessing risk, many companies quit writing in Florida and the deductible patterns have increased each year. Look for 15k as an average of deductible next year (just a gut opinion).

--------------------
doug

Fletch
Weather Guru

Loc: Ft. Lauderdale, Florida
      #29495 - Tue Sep 21 2004 01:48 PM

Quote:

I think it should be renamed if it desreves storm status just because of the ramifications of using "Ivan" now one of the classic modern storms.
Besides what went over Florida was hardly a storm and not even a TD level if it was a closed low which I doubt as stated earlier.
I guess if the NHC can somehow track the original vortex from landfall to the Florida East coast yesterday, then perhaps it could be Ivan the Resusciitated... but a new name would be my recommendation if that comes to pass.

Also Can Lisa survive???Right now it looks ragged...being slapped around by big brother Karl and seems to be nearly out run by the large system behind it...they can't be more that 250-300 miles apart and it looks as if the gap is closing?

Doug, I agree with you on both points. "IF" something should become of the circulation off Naples it should not be named Ivan.

Also, I think Lisa is going to have a hard time keeping it together. We shall see.

--------------------
Irwin M. Fletcher

Fletch
Weather Guru

Loc: Ft. Lauderdale, Florida
      #29496 - Tue Sep 21 2004 01:52 PM

Quote:

10-40 years of a pattern...lets hope not...today a friend of mine and I are already lamenting next years homeowners insurance changes...if we even get renewed...and we did not have any damage, yet!...After Andrew the casualty insurance industry went through huge changes in assessing risk, many companies quit writing in Florida and the deductible patterns have increased each year. Look for 15k as an average of deductible next year (just a gut opinion).

If we are lucky they will only go up that high. Pre-Andrew I was at 560/year. 11 years later I'm paying 3400/yr not counting flood. Add on a 5% ded on top of that and its sick. I need 25-30k damage before I even think about calling in a claim.

--------------------
Irwin M. Fletcher

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | >> (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 125 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  MikeC, Ed Dunham, danielw 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating: *****
Topic views: 34523

Rate this topic

Jump to

Note: This is NOT an official page. It is run by weather hobbyists and should not be used as a replacement for official sources. 
CFHC's main servers are currently located at
Hostdime.com in Orlando, FL.
Image Server Network thanks to Mike Potts and Amazon Web Services. If you have static file hosting space that allows dns aliasing contact us to help out! Some Maps Provided by:
Great thanks to all who donated and everyone who uses the site as well. Site designed for 800x600+ resolution
When in doubt, take the word of the National Hurricane Center