F
Current Radar or Satellite Image

Flhurricane.com - Central Florida Hurricane Center - Tracking Storms since 1995Hurricanes Without the Hype! Since 1995

Chill falls over the Atlantic as the official season heads towards close
Days since last H. Landfall - US: Any 233 (Idalia) , Major: 233 (Idalia) Florida - Any: 233 (Idalia) Major: 233 (Idalia)
None
COMMUNICATION
STORM DATA
CONTENT
FOLLOW US
ADS
Login to remove ads

News Talkback >> 2004 News Talkbacks

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | (show all)
Katie
Weather Guru

Reged: Tue
Loc: Winter Haven, FL
Re: To MR UNHappy [Re: Unregistered User]
      #29603 - Wed Sep 22 2004 09:19 AM

Just a quick comment from Polk County here - The support we got from local agencies was unbelievable. We had deputies who lost their homes still out helping deliever ice and water and helping the elderly clean up their yards.

I have heard a ton of complaints about FEMA but most of the complaints were from people who were looking for free handouts (in my opinion).

All in all, I finally saw a divided community come together to help each other in a time of need. Makes me proud to live in this Country.

Katie

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
storm chaser
Unregistered

Re: To MR UNHappy [Re: Katie]
      #29605 - Wed Sep 22 2004 09:29 AM

I think different counties received different treatment. Voluisa (at least where I lived) was left out to dry!

strom chaser
Unregistered

Re: To MR UNHappy [Re: storm chaser]
      #29606 - Wed Sep 22 2004 09:31 AM

meant to say were I LIVE, still live here. Sorry, I type to fast!

Lake Toho - Kissimmee
Storm Tracker

Reged: Tue
Loc: Kissimmee, Florida on Lake Toh...
Re: To MR UNHappy [Re: storm chaser]
      #29608 - Wed Sep 22 2004 09:44 AM

I know this is kinda off topic (sorry). Its great that Jeb Bush is allowing roofers from out of state to fix our roofs, however, keep in mind that your warranty will be basically worthless with an out of state roofer. If a leak develops or if something goes wrong later on with your roof, your out of state roofer may be long gone and I can guarantee you wont see them making service calls. I realize some people will have no choice, but just becareful. A roof is a huge investment, that should be done by someone locally. That way if you have any issues later, they can assist you. I am still waiting for a check from my insurance company, suppose to be here Friday. I am fortunate I have been able to get estimates, you just have to persistant.

Hope Jeanne does get to close, plastic is the only thing holding out the elements and the winds these days have made me a little anxious that I will need to have another temporary repair (I have had it repaired 3 x so far)..

--------------------
Dream like you will live forever.. Live like there is no tommorow.. Darwin Rules !!

Rabbit
Weather Master

Reged: Sat
Loc: Central Florida
Re: To MR UNHappy [Re: Lake Toho - Kissimmee]
      #29610 - Wed Sep 22 2004 10:09 AM

does anyone else see a well defined LLC to the east of 93L?
(look on the last few frames; you can also see Lisa to the west being sheared)
93L

Also, there are TS winds with the Ivan remnamts, all they need to do is close off the center for us to have 4 named storms

mr. UnHappy
Unregistered

Re: To MR UNHappy [Re: Lake Toho - Kissimmee]
      #29612 - Wed Sep 22 2004 10:15 AM

Great point LT. I didn't know OOS roofers were allowed to fix roofs here yet though. A quote:

"The order allows "certified . . . registered, general, building or residential" contractors to repair roofs. The order covers nine counties affected by Charley, including Polk, Osceola, Orange, Seminole and Volusia.

Florida has some of the strictest contractor-licensing requirements in the nation. Trade groups have also been pushing the governor to grant temporary licenses to contractors from states with similarly tough requirements, so they, too .

Wednesday's executive order did not address that issue."

Does a roof warranty cover Hurricane damage at all? At this point I'm afraid we SHOULD let LICENSED OOS contractors repair roofs or suffer worse damage.

I certainly would want a warranty though.

Mr. U.

leetdan
Weather Guru

Reged: Wed
Loc: Osceola County
Re: To MR UNHappy [Re: mr. UnHappy]
      #29616 - Wed Sep 22 2004 10:28 AM

*continuing offtopic, sorry, but it needs to be said*

Just as a storm brings out the best in people, it also brings out the worst in people. Those strict regulations have saved thousands of people, from the elderly to the down-on-hard-times, from being swindled or out and out robbed by con men. These people will seek out the vulnerable, pull up in a truck, and offer a deal that can't be refused in exchange for cash up front, for example. Or they'll perform the work, charge exorbitant prices, and leave sub-standard results.

I hate to sound like such a prude, but these things are generally for our protection (as were the curfews). Having an in-state license means they are held accountable for their work, and will follow building codes with their repairs. Yes, out-of-state contractors would be a welcome aid, especially if they have similar hurricane codes. While I don't think the cops had a right to threaten family members helping out, I certainly can't question the overall stance.

On topic: I still hold to my belief that the ridge is being overstated in the models, and Jeanne will start to slip back North and East. Looks like I'm about to get crowed though

--------------------
[witty phrase here]

Redbird1
Unregistered

Re: To MR UNHappy [Re: mom2als]
      #29631 - Wed Sep 22 2004 11:07 AM

You want a roofer? 321-753-2373...........out of Palm Bay but willing to go on the road, Wayne's Roofs and has a combined experience of over 25 years this guy and his dad and their hired crew.

Redbird1
Unregistered

Re: To MR UNHappy [Re: leetdan]
      #29633 - Wed Sep 22 2004 11:13 AM

I think you can look for roofers in states like GA or SC or Alabama that understand and have hurricane code roofing styles. Forget any CA roofers as they have no clue about this kind of weather.

Mozart
Weather Watcher

Reged: Fri
Loc: Simpsonville, SC
Re: To MR UNHappy [Re: leetdan]
      #29640 - Wed Sep 22 2004 11:23 AM

From the 11:30 AM Outlook:

SATELLITE IMAGES...ALONG WITH SHIP AND BUOY REPORTS...INDICATE THE
LOW PRESSURE AREA IN THE CENTRAL GULF OF MEXICO MAY BE ORGANIZING
INTO A TROPICAL CYCLONE. SHOWERS AND THUNDERSTORMS HAVE DEVELOPED
NEAR THE SURFACE CENTER THIS MORNING...AND WIND GUSTS TO TROPICAL
STORM FORCE HAVE BEEN REPORTED.

I notice that they haven't mentioned in the last few discussions that this is part of the remnants of Ivan. Sounds like they want to get away from that name entirely.

Looks to this untrained eye like the circulation is around 27N 88W which is just southeast of the convection.

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 162 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  MikeC, Ed Dunham, danielw 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating: *****
Topic views: 34534

Rate this topic

Jump to

Note: This is NOT an official page. It is run by weather hobbyists and should not be used as a replacement for official sources. 
CFHC's main servers are currently located at
Hostdime.com in Orlando, FL.
Image Server Network thanks to Mike Potts and Amazon Web Services. If you have static file hosting space that allows dns aliasing contact us to help out! Some Maps Provided by:
Great thanks to all who donated and everyone who uses the site as well. Site designed for 800x600+ resolution
When in doubt, take the word of the National Hurricane Center