F
Current Radar or Satellite Image

Flhurricane.com - Central Florida Hurricane Center - Tracking Storms since 1995Hurricanes Without the Hype! Since 1995

Chill falls over the Atlantic as the official season heads towards close
Days since last H. Landfall - US: Any 233 (Idalia) , Major: 233 (Idalia) Florida - Any: 233 (Idalia) Major: 233 (Idalia)
None
COMMUNICATION
STORM DATA
CONTENT
FOLLOW US
ADS
Login to remove ads

News Talkback >> 2004 News Talkbacks

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | >> (show all)
LI Phil
User

Reged: Fri
Loc: Long Island (40.7N 73.6W)
Cantore [Re: clueless]
      #30665 - Thu Sep 23 2004 10:47 PM

Thanks for the article Frank...trying to wipe the tears out of my eyes as I type this.

Long time posters ignore what follows...I've said it before...newbies listen up.

I had the privilege of meeting Mr. Cantore during Floyd '99 at point lookout on Long Island. By this point floyd was transitioning from a hurricane to a ts, so needless to say, it wasn't quite the storm we're used to seeing him in.

I stayed for more than an hour, along with maybe 30 people. There was some wind, maybe 30-40 mph at the time but no rain. The sand was being whipped up into a frenzy and pelting any exposed skin.

After Jim did his intro and then his 2-3 minute "spot", he could have retreated into the TWC van. Did he? No, he took most of the remaining 20 minutes till his next spot to talk with the people who had gathered. He was holding an anomemeter, which was only registering about 17 mph (it was defective), but a dad with his 10 year old son (guessing at the age) also had THE SAME BRAND anomometer which was registering more accurate speeds. The kid let him use it and on the air he credited the kid!

Somewhere in my dungeon condo I have a photo of me & Jim. He posed for photos with anyone who wanted them.

He made me look tall as about his only flaw, if you can call it that, is he is rather short. But I wouldn't want to meet him in a dark alley with a fight on my hands...that's for damn sure.

Say what you will about Mr. Cantore, but he is a one in a million, top notch gentleman of the highest caliber.

Now go read the article Frank P. Posted. I didn't know any of that personal stuff...just makes the man more amazing! Bash TWC all you want (god knows I do), but if you ever say a bad word about JC you will be hearing from me...

I know a number of posters on here, including some of the mods, have met Jim, and I'm sure they can all attest to his character...

JC...the main reason to still watch TWC...

Sorry for the rambling diatribe...but that article FP posted just set off a nerve...

--------------------
2005 Forecast: 14/7/4

BUCKLE UP!

"If your topic ain't tropic, your post will be toast"

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
WXMAN RICHIE
Weather Master

Reged: Mon
Loc: Boynton Beach, FL
Re: Article on Cantore... excellent reading [Re: scottsvb]
      #30666 - Thu Sep 23 2004 10:47 PM

Scott,
Local tv meteorologist just said the same thing, cooler waters limiting the reds on the IR loop due to Jeanne being in that area for awhile. He said it should increase after 72 west.

--------------------
Another typical August:
Hurricane activity is increasing and the Red Sox are choking.

Live weather from my backyard:
http://www.wunderground.com/weatherstation/WXDailyHistory.asp?ID=KFLBOYNT4

Weather Guru

Reged: Wed
Loc: Parrish Fl
Re: Article on Cantore... excellent reading [Re: ShaggyDude]
      #30667 - Thu Sep 23 2004 10:48 PM

yeah that was touching. Thats a shame about his family having all the med problems. I hope it gets better for them.

scottsvb
Weather Master

Loc: fl
Re: Article on Cantore... excellent reading [Re: 52255225]
      #30668 - Thu Sep 23 2004 10:49 PM

Yep that is mainly it,,, there is some dry air also but thats not the main inhibiter.

davet
Unregistered

Re: Cantore [Re: LI Phil]
      #30669 - Thu Sep 23 2004 10:51 PM

Well said Phil... Im chokin the tears back myself...

scottsvb
Weather Master

#30670 - Thu Sep 23 2004 10:52 PM

The OZ run of the ETA is out,,,,it takes landfall near Ft Lauderdale in 54hrs. I wouldnt rely on this model too much but its better then the tropical model suites.

clueless
Verified CFHC User

Reged: Sun
Loc: Orlando, FL
Re: Florida Closed for Renovation.. [Re: Lake Toho - Kissimmee]
      #30671 - Thu Sep 23 2004 10:55 PM

Quote:

Dont even get me started about Disney opening parks the day after Hurricane Charley.. Greedy little Mouse.. Sorry I am way off topic again..

At least if they are all at Mickey World they are not in the way of the rest of us trying to put our lives back together. - Picture I-4 accident gawkers by every downed tree

Colleen A.

Reged: Sat
Loc: Florida
Re: Article on Cantore... excellent reading [Re: Frank P]
      #30672 - Thu Sep 23 2004 10:55 PM

Wow...what a guy. I always liked him...never knew any of that stuff about his wife and son being sick.

If I can ever figure out a way to do it, I'll post a picture of my brother....with a baseball hat on, he could be JC's twin brother. He's often BEEN mistaken for JC.

Jim's still in the studio tonight...maybe he's staying home this storm.

--------------------
You know you're a hurricane freak when you wake up in the morning and hit "REFRESH" on CFHC instead of the Snooze Button.

Lake Toho - Kissimmee
Storm Tracker

Reged: Tue
Loc: Kissimmee, Florida on Lake Toh...
      #30673 - Thu Sep 23 2004 10:55 PM

11 PM Track out..

--------------------
Dream like you will live forever.. Live like there is no tommorow.. Darwin Rules !!

Frank P
Veteran Storm Chaser

#30674 - Thu Sep 23 2004 10:55 PM

Cantore..... is what I would call the quintessential class act... and he's Italiano too... bonus points....

I would love for him and his crew to ride out a storm in my house on the front beach... heck, one day I'll write TWC and send them an open invite

Lake Toho - Kissimmee
Storm Tracker

11 PM Discussion out also [Re: Frank P]
      #30675 - Thu Sep 23 2004 10:58 PM

11 PM is out.. Basically no change, though Avila did move the track a little to the east, but said at the same time stated it could very well be further inland.

--------------------
Dream like you will live forever.. Live like there is no tommorow.. Darwin Rules !!

LI Phil
User

Loc: Long Island (40.7N 73.6W)
Re: Cantore [Re: Frank P]
      #30676 - Thu Sep 23 2004 10:58 PM

Quote:

Cantore..... is what I would call the quintessential class act... and he's Italiano too... bonus points....

I would love for him and his crew to ride out a storm in my house on the front beach... heck, one day I'll write TWC and send them an open invite

He doesn't like bassets!

Seriously though, that would mean a serious monster would be heading your way...I guess that's inevitable given the fickle nature of these f----ers.

Maybe you could wrestle him for bonus points...

speaking of which...

gotta come up with something witty for my next post...you guys have filled in admirably so far...

--------------------
2005 Forecast: 14/7/4

BUCKLE UP!

"If your topic ain't tropic, your post will be toast"

scottsvb
Weather Master

#30677 - Thu Sep 23 2004 11:07 PM

Heres what they did, the discussion was pretty much what I said in the cooler water. He wants to wait till recon gets in there and I agree. Recon will show the correct pressure but at times they dont find the exact strongest wind. Anyways I dont think the turn will be that great from W to NNW in 6 hours. I think it will go w then wnw-nw for about 6-12 hours around landfall to alittle inland then NW-NNW . They have it going straight almost from just N of west to NNW. Remember we all have to learn the enviroment around the area. With Charley, we forgot what Bonnie did going more ene instead of ne and making landfall further east. So Charley should move NE sooner right? Well we all saw that he did. Right now we see Ivan making a landfall near TX,LA coast. Been going wnw. Well that enviroment will push east over florida in 2 days so by the time Jeanne nears the coast it should bend but not go NNW imediatley. Do we learn from whats going on? Well models of course dont. But we do. Anyways that is why I dont have such a strong hook up to the NNW after 79-80W but more of a bend to 81W before a it gets to a NNW direction. I could be wrong of course, but thats how I see it.
Also just to note, Avila adjust the track just a tad to the right due to the GFDL model and GFS. We will see the new GFS model runs with the global models during the next hour or 2. Then we will see if its adjusted w again by morning or stay the same.

Colleen A.

Re: 11 PM Discussion out also [Re: Lake Toho - Kissimmee]
      #30678 - Thu Sep 23 2004 11:08 PM

Cantore cuts right to the chase...."basically no change in track, moving now at 6mph to the west, looking different than it did this afternoon, let's let Dr. Steve Lyons explain that."

Dr. Steve goes on to show how the eye is becoming more concentric (smaller) but I think he also said that it's not looking more disorganized, just cooler waters, but he expects it to move over warmer water before making landfall.

Dr. Steve doesn't miss a trick does he?

--------------------
You know you're a hurricane freak when you wake up in the morning and hit "REFRESH" on CFHC instead of the Snooze Button.

Edited by LI Phil (Thu Sep 23 2004 11:10 PM)

WXMAN RICHIE
Weather Master

Loc: Boynton Beach, FL
We need some humor tonight [Re: Colleen A.]
      #30679 - Thu Sep 23 2004 11:13 PM Attachment (421 downloads)

New Florida license plate, see attachment.

--------------------
Another typical August:
Hurricane activity is increasing and the Red Sox are choking.

Live weather from my backyard:
http://www.wunderground.com/weatherstation/WXDailyHistory.asp?ID=KFLBOYNT4

AgentB
Weather Guru

Loc: Winter Park, FL
Re: Cantore [Re: scottsvb]
      #30680 - Thu Sep 23 2004 11:14 PM

Quote:

Do we learn from whats going on? Well models of course dont. But we do.

Well said Scott. Anyway, another weekend, another hurricane threat. I've almost, notice I did say "almost", gotten used to it. One thing I did notice was the ridge pushing down from the north, and basically closing the "channel" that I was watching all day. It was the path that the convection surrounding Jeanne had been taking as it headed off to the NW. It looks almost like the ridge has built in further south in front of her right now. Obviously the ridge is expected to continue moving eastward and relax a bit, but I can't help but remember all the difficulties the models have had when trying to forecast the influence of these ridges on these systems this season. Personally, I'm not exactly ready to jump on the idea of Jeanne heading straight up the coast of Florida, but that's just my $.02

--------------------
Check the Surf

Lake Toho - Kissimmee
Storm Tracker

Re: 11 PM Discussion out also [Re: Colleen A.]
      #30681 - Thu Sep 23 2004 11:14 PM

Yeah truly no change.. Think the change they made was Inconsequential..

--------------------

RickInRockledge
Unregistered

Re: 11 PM Discussion out also [Re: Lake Toho - Kissimmee]
      #30682 - Thu Sep 23 2004 11:20 PM

Actually there appears to be a big adjustment to the forecast track. The 11:00 pm from the NHC at the TPC site shows now no land fall until it hits the tip of Cape Canaveral and slides in at New Smyrna/Daytona area.

Lake Toho - Kissimmee
Storm Tracker

Re: 11 PM Discussion out also [Re: RickInRockledge]
      #30684 - Thu Sep 23 2004 11:23 PM

Not a big adjustment at all.. They moved it about 30 miles to the east.. The discussion even said they do not know if it will make the turn inland or at the coast..

--------------------

Colleen A.

West Movement [Re: scottsvb]
      #30685 - Thu Sep 23 2004 11:23 PM

Scott...tell me if I have this right: Jeanne is now moving to the west at 6mph and they are expecting that westward movement to continue for the next 48 hours with an increase in forward speed. Then they expect her to make a more NW turn after that, right?
So, if Jeanne moves faster to the west for the next 48 hours, wouldn't that put her closer to the peninsula or on the peninsula? Also...looking at that H on the WV loops, it looks like the high is trying to build in to the west...fill in, if you will.

Am I even close to reading this right?

--------------------

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | >> (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 146 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  MikeC, Ed Dunham, danielw 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating: *****
Topic views: 56994

Rate this topic

Jump to

Note: This is NOT an official page. It is run by weather hobbyists and should not be used as a replacement for official sources. 
CFHC's main servers are currently located at
Hostdime.com in Orlando, FL.
Image Server Network thanks to Mike Potts and Amazon Web Services. If you have static file hosting space that allows dns aliasing contact us to help out! Some Maps Provided by:
Great thanks to all who donated and everyone who uses the site as well. Site designed for 800x600+ resolution
When in doubt, take the word of the National Hurricane Center