F
Current Radar or Satellite Image

Flhurricane.com - Central Florida Hurricane Center - Tracking Storms since 1995Hurricanes Without the Hype! Since 1995

Chill falls over the Atlantic as the official season heads towards close
Days since last H. Landfall - US: Any 233 (Idalia) , Major: 233 (Idalia) Florida - Any: 233 (Idalia) Major: 233 (Idalia)
None
COMMUNICATION
STORM DATA
CONTENT
FOLLOW US
ADS
Login to remove ads

News Talkback >> 2004 News Talkbacks

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | >> (show all)
lilyv
Weather Watcher

Reged: Thu
Loc: Utah
Re: Jeanne Moving West [Re: SkeetoBite]
      #31450 - Fri Sep 24 2004 11:20 PM

Thanks, Skeeto! Know you're working hard!

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
AngB

Reged: Fri
Loc: S. Merritt Island
Re: Jeanne Moving West [Re: h2ocean]
      #31451 - Fri Sep 24 2004 11:20 PM

I am considering the armour screen.
I think I read on a thread a few hurricanes ago that a contractors/builders organization sent people down to Port Charlotte to see what worked and what didn't construction-wise. I think they were presenting their findings in November. That would be an interesting report to get a hold of.

As a side note...a friend of mine who has been without power twice this hurricane season says that he's learned that it helps to turn the AC down to get the house really cool prior to losing power. He said it helps for a day or two... if you can limit the opening of outside doors.

CatInOrlando
Unregistered

Re: Jeanne Moving West [Re: Unregistered User]
      #31452 - Fri Sep 24 2004 11:21 PM

Most recent results CFHC is up to 20%!
Thanks to all of you, this has been a great site for me here in Orlando. I have learned a lot!

Total Votes: 1819
Which hurricane site do you like the best?
44% National Hurricane Center (802 votes)
20% Central Florida Hurricane Center (378 votes)
11% Weather Underground (203 votes)
8% Intellicast (156 votes)
8% Weather Channel (153 votes)
6% Accuweather (112 votes)
0% Hurricane City (10 votes)
0% Atlantic Tropical Weather Center (5 votes)

WXMAN RICHIE
Weather Master

Reged: Mon
Loc: Boynton Beach, FL
Any good news? [Re: AngB]
      #31453 - Fri Sep 24 2004 11:25 PM

The storm is getting much larger and still moving due west. It is still at 26.5, Phil suck some more air up so it nudges past my latitude. Is there any good news? Yes, the Yankees beat the Sox yet again.

--------------------
Another typical August:
Hurricane activity is increasing and the Red Sox are choking.

Live weather from my backyard:
http://www.wunderground.com/weatherstation/WXDailyHistory.asp?ID=KFLBOYNT4

TCBham
Unregistered

Re: Jeanne Moving West [Re: Unregistered User]
      #31454 - Fri Sep 24 2004 11:26 PM

looks like the CFHC is loosing the battle. i live in Bham, Al and just went thru Ivan. Hope all of you in Fla are ok the next few days. After this if over i have a few questions i would like to ask of this board concerning the CAT of Ivan when it made landfall.

danielwAdministrator

Reged: Wed
Loc: Hattiesburg,MS (31.3N 89.3W)
Re: Jeanne Moving West [Re: Heather]
      #31455 - Fri Sep 24 2004 11:29 PM

Heather, those are rain showers you are seeing on the Melbourne radar. Their cloud tops are between 10 and 15,000 feet. There are moving fairly fast though. I don't really think they are associated with Jeanne. I'll look some more though.

h2ocean
Weather Hobbyist

Loc: South Merritt Island, FL
Re: Jeanne Moving West [Re: AngB]
      #31456 - Fri Sep 24 2004 11:29 PM

Yeah, that will be interesing to see what they report. Funny that you say that about the air...before Frances we had the air turned so low we had sweat shirts and long pants on because we were so cold...we lost power over-night and for the next 36 hours the max. temp was 78! Also, crank back the freezer and fridge to coldest setting and if you have an ice maker set it to max and fill bag w/ ice and put in the freezer...(so you can later put it in the fridge)

--------------------
Merritt Island, FL Home Weather Station

boxerhouse

Re: Jeanne Moving West [Re: OrlandoDan]
      #31457 - Fri Sep 24 2004 11:30 PM

Hello-- Does anyone have any thoughts about Jeanne's intensity once it reaches the Jacksonville area? Wondering if it's going to be worse than Frances here and what precautions we might need to take. I live about a block from the St. Johns river.

lilyv
Weather Watcher

Reged: Thu
Loc: Utah
Re: frig... [Re: h2ocean]
      #31459 - Fri Sep 24 2004 11:32 PM

A tip I used to use was to nearly fill gallon plastic milk jugs with water, leaving some space at the top, don't cap, and then freeze. You can keep as many as you can fit in the freezer in hurricane season. It really makes a difference to have these solid blocks of ice in the freezer. (And you can move a couple to the frig if you need to when the electricity goes out.)

alan
Weather Hobbyist

Loc: Apopka, FL
Re: Jeanne Moving West [Re: boxerhouse]
      #31460 - Fri Sep 24 2004 11:33 PM

Correct me if I'm wrong, but the latest recon found flight winds at 110 knts. That's 114 mph at the surface.

tpratch

Loc: Maryland
Re: Jeanne Moving West [Re: OrlandoDan]
      #31461 - Fri Sep 24 2004 11:35 PM

Quote:

I don't know about Skeet, but I really like the NRL:

http://www.nrlmry.navy.mil/tc_pages/04_ATL_11L.JEANNE_ssmi_gif_full.html

They do a solid job showing the wind strength distribution for the various quadrants (albiet very hokey-like) but nothing can beat skeet and his street-level maps

(Unless of course someone were to overlay satellite photography over Skeet's data...)

Lake Toho - Kissimmee
Storm Tracker

Reged: Tue
Loc: Kissimmee, Florida on Lake Toh...
Re: frig... [Re: lilyv]
      #31462 - Fri Sep 24 2004 11:36 PM

I use gallon size freezer bags.. You can cram them in real good making them one solid brick of ice in your freezer.. They last a long time and the water is drinkable/usable as they melt.. Also good for putting on your head when facing the headache of cleanup.

--------------------
Dream like you will live forever.. Live like there is no tommorow.. Darwin Rules !!

TCBham
Unregistered

#31463 - Fri Sep 24 2004 11:37 PM

Don't know if this is a help, but my wife grew up in Pensacola and her mother always filled up the bathtub with water before each warning. At least they could boil water to drink and flush the toliet.

COgal
Weather Watcher

Reged: Sat
Loc: Lake County FL
      #31464 - Fri Sep 24 2004 11:38 PM

I also fill the ziplock bags with water and stack them in the freezer so they come out looking like little freezer packs. They freeze pretty flat if you don't put too much water in them.

COgal
Weather Watcher

Reged: Sat
Loc: Lake County FL
Re: frig... [Re: TCBham]
      #31465 - Fri Sep 24 2004 11:39 PM

I have heard that so many times and actually did it through Charley. BUT my bathroom and tub would be the only safe place in my house if a tornado hit as this house is old and has NO closets.

danielwAdministrator

Loc: Hattiesburg,MS (31.3N 89.3W)
Re: Jeanne Moving West [Re: alan]
      #31466 - Fri Sep 24 2004 11:40 PM

You are correct.
Flight level winds of 110kts equals 126.67mph. With a 90% surface factor that would give surface winds of 114mph.
I found a quick way to estimate surface winds. Just take the flight level windspeed in kts, change the kts to mph. It give you a rough estimate, within about 5mph.

AngB

Loc: S. Merritt Island
Re: frig... [Re: Lake Toho - Kissimmee]
      #31467 - Fri Sep 24 2004 11:40 PM

Hey, thanks for all the tips. I think I'm calling it a night. For some reason, I think tomorrow and Sunday will be a couple of long days.

alan
Weather Hobbyist

Loc: Apopka, FL
Re: frig... [Re: COgal]
      #31468 - Fri Sep 24 2004 11:41 PM

Do the freezer deal as well.

You can see the first feeder band on Miami Long Range radar.

Edited by alan (Fri Sep 24 2004 11:42 PM)

Daytonaman
Weather Watcher

Reged: Sun
Loc: Port Orange, FL
Re: Jeanne Moving West [Re: h2ocean]
      #31469 - Fri Sep 24 2004 11:42 PM

A couple of other things that worked for us during Charley and Frances were: 1. Getting good hot showers the day before then I cranked up the hot water tank, when we took showers we jumped in, turned on the water, got wet, shut off the water, soaped up, then turned water on for quick rinse and since water was still working new water mixed with the hot water and we took at least warm showers for 6 days (2 people and a dog(2 baths..lol) 2. A couple of days in advance I got ice and filled the freezer and the cooler..the ice in the cooler helped to start the cooling process of the insulation in the cooler...morning of the storms I took and used the ice water in cooler to make drinks, used ice in freezer to restock cooler and put new ice in the freezer...we had ice and ice water for 6 days. Hopes these tips also help...
Hanging out waiting for Round 3,
Bruce
Port Orange, FL

--------------------
Bruce
Port Orange, FL
29.14 80.99
Thanks to all who work so hard to teach those of us without the knowledge but the thirst to know.

RevUp
Weather Guru

Reged: Sun
Loc:
Re: Jeanne Moving West [Re: boxerhouse]
      #31470 - Fri Sep 24 2004 11:44 PM

Depending on actual track, I believe worst case for Jacsonville would be cat 1 winds (74-95mph). Highest winds along the coast.
Of course, now that school is cancelled in Jacksonville, that's bound to help keep Jeanne away, right?
Speaking of different tracks, do you remember when Jeanne was approaching the first time and Accu(not)-Wx was predicting Jeanne to go into the GOM? Now it looks like they might have to revert back to that original forecast again.
I'll be surprised if the center of Jeanne tracks north over Florida from where its at now rather than moving up the east coast or moving across to the west coast, as some models now seem to be suggesting.

--------------------
"Let tomorrow worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own."

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | >> (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 265 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  MikeC, Ed Dunham, danielw 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating: *****
Topic views: 67874

Rate this topic

Jump to

Note: This is NOT an official page. It is run by weather hobbyists and should not be used as a replacement for official sources. 
CFHC's main servers are currently located at
Hostdime.com in Orlando, FL.
Image Server Network thanks to Mike Potts and Amazon Web Services. If you have static file hosting space that allows dns aliasing contact us to help out! Some Maps Provided by:
Great thanks to all who donated and everyone who uses the site as well. Site designed for 800x600+ resolution
When in doubt, take the word of the National Hurricane Center